test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Come here if you have a Q

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    it's based on when you signed up for the forum.

There's a new tutorial, that might be the issue if you stopped halfway through the old tutorial.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • canavetcanavet Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Can someone tell me what Kit Modules are, how to use them or point me to a tutorial on the subject. I have an assault module. Thks...
  • andyy22andyy22 Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    If you use procs that reduce "all damage resistances" or APBeta/Delta, will this also improve exotic damage from GW/TR?

I wonder because on the wiki there is energy and kinetic damage and respectively protection from shields/plates buffs and exotic damage already bypasses shields.

1) So is exotic damage influenced by APBeta or skills that "reduce All damage resistances" like Sensor Analysis or weapon procs ?

2) The listed shield regen value from TSS over 15sec, is this per second over the 15 seconds so value x 15 or is the listed value only applied every 6sec similar to the natural shield regen? So 15s/6s = 2.5 times x value?
  • angelaookangelaook Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Anybody else having problems in the tutorial stage? Playing Communication Breakdown, destroy the first borg probe, and then i totally fail to find the Kitomer being attacked. I find the green circle, no sign of the ship or borg. Help. Am I just really bad at navigation.
  • daveev66daveev66 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Hi

quick question about ships I purchase for zen or lobi. Being a bit OCD about my crews from a roleplaying perspective it matters to me what crew I see if I wander round them.

So if my KDF character buys an Orion or Hirogen ship what sort of crew do I get ? On Orion or Gorn crew on their respective ships ? maybe I rationalise it but a Hirogen one would just seem odd and an Elachi or undine one just wierd.

Might seem odd to some folks but it stopped my Fed Rom from flying anything Fed constructed before I got annoyed and deleted them.

Thanks
    edited March 2015
    daveev66 wrote: »
    Hi

quick question about ships I purchase for zen or lobi. Being a bit OCD about my crews from a roleplaying perspective it matters to me what crew I see if I wander round them.

So if my KDF character buys an Orion or Hirogen ship what sort of crew do I get ? On Orion or Gorn crew on their respective ships ? maybe I rationalise it but a Hirogen one would just seem odd and an Elachi or undine one just wierd.

Might seem odd to some folks but it stopped my Fed Rom from flying anything Fed constructed before I got annoyed and deleted them.

Thanks
    Crew? You mean inside the ship? Alien ships only have a partial interior, that lacks random crew, and only has your Boffs.

Orion ships are KDF vessels and thus get a KDF interior, complete with random KDF races as crew, along with your boffs.

Buy anyways, random crewmen are a part of the ship interior.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • orian9orian9 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'm hoping to get some help here. I am trying to post a new thread, but can not. I'm pretty sure I've been on STOL for more than enough time. Can someone let me know when I can post? I have so many questions.....:confused:

Thanks in Advance! Hmmmm.....looking at my avatar, it says I'm an Ensign.....I'm actually a Rear Admiral (upper half) now, level 49.....
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    orian9,

your in-game status is separate from your in-forum status. Your title of Ensign here is directly related to the number of posts you have made, which at the time I type this, is 1... Get a few more posts under your belt elsewhere by commenting in other threads, and soon you'll be able to start your own thread. The logic behind the thread-creation lockdown is to keep bots from posting on their first false login...

CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • xhiaanxhiaan Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Is there a way of changing your outfit without going to the tailor? It seems silly to have to visit Earth spacedock every time I want to use a different costume.

Also, can Fed-aligned Romulans wear Fed gear bought from the zen shop?
  • turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Nope, just Romulan and cross-faction wear (most of which is off-duty options, so Captain only, though male BOffs can wear the mercenary top as a uniform option...).

It's possible, but it requires at least two outfits already made at a tailor. You can just right-click on your character portrait in the upper left corner of your UI (assuming standard layout) on any ground map and it will give you a list of options - one of these is "Change Outfit"; this brings up a small menu in the middle of the screen listing the different outfits you've created at a tailor and have available. Just click on the name of whatever outfit you want to change to and the game reskins your character to the chosen outfit.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
    edited March 2015
    yes, right click on your captain's HP bar and it'll have a menu option for that.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited March 2015
    I'm now level 9. I accidently discharged my bridge officer (the engineer) is there any way to get them back?

Also, apart from the missions you get sent on, is there another way to get experience points. For example, can I just go and search systems close to Sol with having a mission.
  • stoalexstoalex Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I am a newbie and I ve studied pretty much the game basics. As we speak I am installing STO.
    I was wondering for a efficient and fulfilling PVE gameplay what would you recommend? Tactical or Engineer (cost-effective and time effective)? And Romulan/Fed/Klingon?
    I know that getting dil and getting reputation sets became harder once the Delta update was brought up, so I could really need some good advice when it comes to actual gameplay, cause I'm gonna start a character and it has to be a good one (PVE).
    As an ideal, I'd say Rom Tac, but a scimitar means alot of dilithium which I'll need to farm alot for (dil to be converted into Zen), so I could use the best time-cost-pve-effective option I could get.
    Waiting for suggestions and ty for reading my rant :D
    edited March 2015
    Silly question. Reached level 10 and got all excited about getting a new ship. But it costs 500 zen, I only have 8. Apart from buying the zen with real money it is there anything else I can do.
  • stoalexstoalex Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    angelaook wrote: »
    Silly question. Reached level 10 and got all excited about getting a new ship. But it costs 500 zen, I only have 8. Apart from buying the zen with real money it is there anything else I can do.
    Don't waste any zen on lower ships. Gather zen/dilithium (dilithium can be converted to zen) and get a tier 5 or 6 ship which is much more capable. You should do fine with the rest of the options meanwhile.
    There is no stupid question. I posted mine also upper, but still. :)
    edited March 2015
    Well, KDF and KDF-Rom have access, once you hit level 11, better DOff assignments for farming contraband and prisoners - contraband can be turned in at security officers on Granalda, First City and DS9 for 2000 dilithium and prisoners can be sent on 'labor' assignments in certain sector blocks (Regulus, Pi Canis, Eta Eridani) and the Exploration Clusters to earn between 350 and 500 dilithium per assignment (don't bother with the one from the security officers, it takes twice as many prisoners and has a much higher chance of failure, it's not worth it.). Also, do at least one PvP daily to unlock them - KDF 'missions' like Turret Killer and both Ground and Space versions of The Most Dangerous Game also count PvE kills and one run of "Badlands" or "The Vault" once you reach those missions in the storyline will knock out Turret Killer easy.

And some people will disagree, but you might want to try opening lock boxes until you get some Preferred Customer or VIP Rich Dilithium Claims, you can take these out to the Vlugta Asteroid Field near DS9 and get 3000 and more dilithium from each claim.

If you do it right, you'll pretty soon end up earning more dilithium per day than you can actually refine per day.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
    edited March 2015
    stoalex wrote: »
    Don't waste any zen on lower ships. Gather zen/dilithium (dilithium can be converted to zen) and get a tier 5 or 6 ship which is much more capable. You should do fine with the rest of the options meanwhile.
    There is no stupid question. I posted mine also upper, but still. :)

Actually, lower tier ships are still capable - they have better weapons arrangements, BOff seating and/or console slots than their free counterparts... and they usually come with a unique console or weapon that can be useful all the way to endgame. For example, the TOS Constitution's blue phaser arrays level up with your captain, so they're something that you can get when you just start out and use all the way up to Admiral; and lots of KDF players use the Bio-Neural Torpedo from the SuQob Raptor, even after they've stopped using the Raptor itself...

There's even a group of players out there that play endgame - including STFs - using Mirandas and TOS Connies, just with Mk XII - XIV gear, and they have a good track record of winning from what I understand.
    edited March 2015
    Thank you all for your help. I am Federation, so dont have access to those quests. I have some lock boxes, how do I get the keys?
    edited March 2015
    Two ways; one is from the Zen Store for 125z per - the other, and the one I normally use, is that they can usually be found on the Exchange under "Lock Box Keys" for around 2,200,000... It might seem like a lot, but when contraband is 40,000 EC a unit (1,000,000 for 25) and enemies start dropping equipment that you don't need and can sell for EC, money can actually be made pretty quick.
    edited March 2015
    Thank you. I'm really impressed with how helpful people are on this forum. :-)
  • xhiaanxhiaan Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Thanks for the reply to my last question. Here's another! :)

As I get higher level ships I find I'm running out of fingers to shoot with. My latest ship has six weapon slots. Add to that all the various abilities I need to access while in a fight and I don't have enough buttons to go round, or fingers to hit them with.

I like to control ship movement with my mouse and fight with buttons, but I can't keep up. Any suggestions for setting my keyboard up efficiently, or am I just doing it wrong?
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    If you right click on your weapons in the weapons tray, it will set that weapon to autofire. You should see a green border appear around that weapon's icon. That way you only have to press spacebar once and all of your weapons will continually fire and you won't have to manually activate each one. Personally I tend to leave torpedoes on manual so I can shoot them off whenever I like, but that's up to you. You won't need to worry about managing ships that have a bunch of weapons on them that way. Should help reduce the amount of skills you need to keybind.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
    edited March 2015
    Well, a good trick to know is that pressing the spacebar actually fires all energy weapons (beams and cannons), so really, you only need to map your projectiles to other keys.

Take a standard 4 fore/4 aft ship; two beam arrays to the front, two beam arrays to the rear, two quantum torpedos in the front slots and a quantum torpedo and the Romulan Tractor Beam Mine from "Cutting The Cord" in the rear slots. By all the energy weapons being fireable by pressing space bar, you'd just have to map the fore torpedos to, say, numerals 1 and 2 and the aft torpedo and mine to 3 and 4 on your keyboard - your thumb handles the space bar and the other four fingers can handle the projectiles.
  • brandonjo66048brandonjo66048 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Sorry to post like this, but I haven't been around long enough to start a new thread, and there are SO MANY threads, I feared it would take hours to find what I'm looking for... In my Duty Officers Roster, I have a Gamma Quadrant Cadre...but when I try to use it, the game says the following: "You must make room in your duty officer roster to complete the transfer of these new officers. You may only have one of a unique item." Could someone explain this for me and guide me on what I have to do to use this pack? Thanks!!!
  • decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Sorry to post like this, but I haven't been around long enough to start a new thread, and there are SO MANY threads, I feared it would take hours to find what I'm looking for... In my Duty Officers Roster, I have a Gamma Quadrant Cadre...but when I try to use it, the game says the following: "You must make room in your duty officer roster to complete the transfer of these new officers. You may only have one of a unique item." Could someone explain this for me and guide me on what I have to do to use this pack? Thanks!!!

There is no need to be sorry you are in the situation this thread was created for.

Everyone starts with a DOFF (Duty OFFiser roster) of 100. When that is full or close to full that opening a pack wuold take you above 100 you can not comission anymore. You can do one of two things when this point is reached:

1. Dismiss enough DOFFs to make space and that is the easiest to do. Always start with dismissing white DOFFs.

2. Convert delithium to zen and buy the DOFF roster increase.

Now if my memory is correct the pack you have contains 3 DOFFs, so go to your roster and dismiss enough officers to give you a roster of 97. Then you can open the Gamma pack and the DOFFs will then be awarded.
  • starriusstarrius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    hello i'm new to STO and i've just hit lvl 10 but i can't seem to find where the next area of quests are and it's a little confusing

the only quests i find from hailing star fleet are the fleet action ones which i don't have groups atm

any help please
  • ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    starrius wrote: »
    hello i'm new to STO and i've just hit lvl 10 but i can't seem to find where the next area of quests are and it's a little confusing

the only quests i find from hailing star fleet are the fleet action ones which i don't have groups atm

any help please

The next quest in line "skirmish" starts at level 11. Basically it's not always a smooth leveling experience in STO. Basically when you hail Star Fleet you'll see a tab up top that says "episode". Click on that and you'll see the story line progression and the level that's needed for the next episode up. You should be really close to 11 if you're not there... basically do something (I forget if you can Duty Officer Missions at 10) or go back and do a quick patrol or replay mission (a mission in a system you've already done or on the same episode tab you'll be able to replay a mission if it's eligable)