test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Apostrophes and Hyphens: Cryptic's Worst Enemies?

mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
The lack of a hyphen in "Thoron Infused Polaron" really irritates me. Please don't tell me that the Devs forgot the apostrophe in "Jem'Hadar" in the new Strike Ship... I keep seeing "Jemhadar Strike Ship" in zone chat.

TRIBBLE T5 Bug owners is one thing, but TRIBBLE the English language on top of that?!

Salt in the wound, insult to injury, and what not. :mad:

Yes, I may be joking in this... but, really, only slightly. Spell check and grammar check are wonderful things. You're better than this, devs!
d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• bumperthumperbumperthumper Member Posts: 513 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Want to see something really bad? Look up "intelligence" under the training manual tabs on the exchange.

Yeah, "intelligence" is spelled incorrectly. That's kind of an oxymoron, and very embarrassing.
    A proud member of The Collective ARMADA
    NOT A FAN OF ARC!
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    edited March 2015
    Bad grammar is a big pet peeve of mine, LOL. :mad:
  • infydelinfydel Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    "intelligence" is spelled incorrectly.

oh dear - really?
    Vulcans are MEAN
  • makburemakbure Member Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    There is poor proofreading (if any) all over the game. My favorite is "AoE heal and rezz". I mean wow. Nice tooltip.
    -Makbure
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited March 2015
    Quality control has been something that has always been an issue with Cryptic. QC extends through all levels of the content; player interactions, call outs, tools tips etc.

I am hoping that this will be one of the small, but important changes that SalamiInferno introduces to his tenure as EP. So far in terms of player communication and problem solving, he's done a great job in the last four weeks.
    edited March 2015
    I am hoping that this will be one of the small, but important changes that SalamiInferno introduces to his tenure as EP. So far in terms of player communication and problem solving, he's done a great job in the last four weeks.

Agreed. Ricossa has done well in this area, gives the impression he actually cares. He even apologized today for this JHAS flame-up, and that decision likely wasn't even made on his watch.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    mhall85 wrote: »
    The lack of a hyphen in "Thoron Infused Polaron" really irritates me. Please don't tell me that the Devs forgot the apostrophe in "Jem'Hadar" in the new Strike Ship... I keep seeing "Jemhadar Strike Ship" in zone chat.

TRIBBLE T5 Bug owners is one thing, but TRIBBLE the English language on top of that?!

Yes, I may be joking in this... but, really, only slightly. Spell check and grammar check are wonderful things. You're better than this, devs!

Like:

"[GameplayAnnounce] bla@bla was issued a Jemhadar Strike Ship!"

It's Jem'Hadar.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited March 2015
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Like:

"[GameplayAnnounce] bla@bla was issued a Jemhadar Strike Ship!"

It's Jem'Hadar.

EXACTLY. :mad:

I'm glad someone else noticed. :)
    edited March 2015
    Oh, I also saw there was a grammar error in the new memorial plaque. James Doohan's quote has "to to," apparently.

Irritating blemish on a great addition.
  • idashlaidashla Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I am PRETTY sure that Jem'Hadar isn't in the dictionary or spell checker. So they aren't that useful to solve your problem.
    ZNju0ze.jpg
  • bumperthumperbumperthumper Member Posts: 513 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    idashla wrote: »
    I am PRETTY sure that Jem'Hadar isn't in the dictionary or spell checker. So they aren't that useful to solve your problem.

True, or it just be googled. Not that difficult of a spell check to use.
    A proud member of The Collective ARMADA
    NOT A FAN OF ARC!
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The missing apostrophe could also be a result of conversion between different encodings.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • noshufflenoshuffle Member Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    makbure wrote: »
    There is poor proofreading (if any) all over the game. My favorite is "AoE heal and rezz". I mean wow. Nice tooltip.

In order to proofread, it's required to be able to read. An ability that none at Cryptic has :D
    OK, if I have to stay here for a while, your cieling ... looks idious.:D
  • stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I wonder how long it will be until quest dialogue starts mixing up their, there and they're. Captain! theirs Klingons on the Starboard bow!
  • ussprometheus79ussprometheus79 Member Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    You should feel for us non-Americans having to put up with poor US grammar/spelling - half the time you can't tell if it's a mistake or not. ;)
    If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    There are a number of silly typo's in the game in many of the missions up to (And I think including) the DS9 arc.
  • lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Yeah, "intelligence" is spelled incorrectly. That's kind of an oxymoron, and very embarrassing.
    You should have expected that after seeing the "Intelligence" coats. Simply by looking at it, you can clearly see that whomever made those coats was NOT intelligent. They haphazardly stitched together whatever fabric scraps they had left over.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    lindaleff wrote: »
    You should have expected that after seeing the "Intelligence" coats. Simply by looking at it, you can clearly see that whomever made those coats was NOT intelligent. They haphazardly stitched together whatever fabric scraps they had left over.

I was wondering where my leather seat covers went! :P
    server_hamster6.png
    edited March 2015
    The coats are so badly-made, that they look like a Klingon made them. :rolleyes:
    You should feel for us non-Americans having to put up with poor US grammar/spelling
    Oxford is the superiour dictionary.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
  • nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Oxford is the superiour dictionary.

I see what yew did there ;)
    server_hamster6.png
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Trust me, it is even worse when you are Dyslexic, like I am, but even I can spell better... lol
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• pwecaptainsmirkpwecaptainsmirk Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Well.... that was just precious.

Sent off the report about the Exchange Typo.

"Ingelligence" shall soon be wiped from the face of the exchange.

Thank you for the reports! :)

~Smirk
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    My favorite typo is the Reman guy in the fleet dilithium mine: "Why do you take a look at my mining assignments?" Instead of "why DON'T you..."

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I dunt tink utz vorrey foonnney to peeck unn shirt komingggs>
  • medalionemissarymedalionemissary Member Posts: 612 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    mhall85 wrote: »

I did notice the Jem'Hadar strike ship winning notification calls them Jemhadar now...

I mean really?
    Deep Space Nine in HD, make it so!
  • carpfishercarpfisher Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015

~Smirk

If you've got someone fixing bad language in the exchange, maybe it would be time to explain that "sort by descending price per unit" is mislabeled.

Although having it corrected after all these years may cause some hilarious results for long-time exchange warriors.
    edited March 2015
    gulberat wrote: »
    My favorite typo is the Reman guy in the fleet dilithium mine: "Why do you take a look at my mining assignments?" Instead of "why DON'T you..."
    Actually, that is correct. Do you remember Slamek? "Go away. Leave me alone." Enough said.
    edited March 2015
    I did notice the Jem'Hadar strike ship winning notification calls them Jemhadar now...

I mean really?

Thankfully, the ship itself (once opened) is properly labeled.
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Actually, that is correct. Do you remember Slamek? "Go away. Leave me alone." Enough said.

I remember Slamek, but everything about the dilithium mine NPC's body language animations suggests he is trying to get your attention and WANTS you to come over and see what he's offering. Plus do you think he really wants to turn down people who are going to help him with his apparent staffing problems? ;)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • papasezpapasez Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited March 2015

~Smirk

'Intelligence' and the exchange have and always will be, mutually exclusive. Sad true story. ;-)