test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How Many Boxes Does It Take?

Comments

• millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    infydel wrote: »
    No, just someone who thinks that - if you're going to complain - it helps to have something to actually complain about. Otherwise, you're just indulging in entitled whining.
    Certainly the lobi issue, if it is real, is something worth complaining about, until Cryptic fixes it.
    If you were able to interpret that when he said 'belaboring' and meant 'laboring' then its kind of obvious he wasnt having trouble getting his point across youre just looking for an argument.
    Seeing as how, in that context, the two words can have the same meaning....
    and I was asking you what promises you were referring to; you still haven't actually mentioned any.
    I expressed it as I've seen it relayed.

Go harass someone else if you want more details on this alleged promise.

You're asking the wrong person, but you knew that, because I've said as much.

Incidentally, you're the only person I've come across who suggests that no promise was made whatsoever.
    I'm sorry, but you are incorrect.
    So you say, but again, no evidence...

And if you're correct, that should be easy to demonstrate.
    when have they ever done something like that before? by which I mean, actually refused to reward legitimately purchased items?
    You're assuming they even can retroactively reward the lobi. I have no source quote, but I believe they've expressed in the past that they're unable to track who bought what and when.
    I'd also like to remind you that you are getting super angry
    You wish.
    about your theoretical Cryptic response to a bug that - so far - only one person has reported experiencing.
    I'm open to any evidence proving the OP wrong. As much as Cryptic gets in its own way, even I find it hard to believe that they'd make so egregious a mistake.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 900 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    js26568 wrote: »
    It's based on a random number generator model.

You can open 1 box and get 1 ship.

You can open 1000 boxes and get 1000 ships.

You can open 10000000 boxes and get no ship.

Every box you open has the same random chance. It makes no difference how many boxes you actually open. The number of boxes you open has absolutely no bearing on the likelihood that the next box you open will give you a ship.

In conclusion, it's random.

for most who try this one, open too many boxes and get very little satisfaction....
  • infydelinfydel Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Certainly the lobi issue, if it is real, is something worth complaining about, until Cryptic fixes it.
    Probably, if it turns out to be real. Why not wait till that is established before berating Cryptic for a response that they haven't made yet?

Seeing how, in that context, the two words can have the same meaning....
    I don't mean to belabour this point, but you are still incorrect. The two words, although related, are not identical; you are labouring under a misapprehension if you believe otherwise.

Go harass someone else if you want more details on this alleged promise.
    Asking you why you are saying something is not actually harassment.

So you say, but again, no evidence...

And if you're correct, that should be easy to demonstrate.
    "I don't mean to belabour this point, but you are still incorrect. The two words, although related, are not identical; you are labouring under a misapprehension if you believe otherwise."

You're assuming they even can retroactively reward the lobi. I have no source quote, but I believe they've expressed in the past that they're unable to track who bought what and when.
    And you're assuming that there is both an issue to be corrected, and that the correction will definitely 100% for sure be somehow unsatisfactory to you, a person that is utterly unaffected.

You wish.
    I'll concede that there could be some other explanation for your screeds, and your baseless accusations that I'm some sort of sockpuppet - for example, attacking anyone who asks questions is a trait common to all conspiracy theorists. That's probably a better fit than mere random anger; point to you.

I'm open to any evidence proving the OP wrong. As much as Cryptic gets in its own way, even I find it hard to believe that they'd make so egregious a mistake.
    The fact that you are certain that a bug that - let me remind you once again - exactly one person has reported experiencing is some sort of deliberate scheme to bilk money from people lends a lot of credence to my "conspiracy theorist" theory above. Probably it is a plot by the same nefarious people who tried to stop Mulder and Scully. I've never trusted those guys!
    Vulcans are MEAN
  • lordatrocitieslordatrocities Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Its been reported that a few players have scored more than one of these ships after only opneing a couple of boxes. HOW is that possible? I wouldn't believe it say for the fact I was on when one such incident happened and you could read it in the chat.... WTF cryptic... WTF?

Either someone is gaming the system, or the game is systematically designed to TRIBBLE players and post FAKE reward messages to generate incentive for the rest of us to buy into the scam

Again, how can someone win more than one of these ships, one right after the other, if most can't get 1 even if we open 50 boxes? This smells like a rigged game.

I call foul on this R&D (Win a Ship) scam box!!!

I restate: I think I got scammed and this entire Win A Ship is nothing more than a scam.

I sincerely think this entire "win a ship" is nothing more than a rigged lotto, house always wins, Cheat to Win, scam. Post a couple of fake message every few minutes announcing so and so won a ship in order to trick players into thinking that the odds of winning are higher than they really are. (A scam)

I don't know... I just feel cheated. And I suspect, that I may not be alone in this regard.
    What happened to those unique forum ranks I paid for?
    edited March 2015
    I guess you are right but it just seems shady to me at best, and at worst criminal manipulation of the odds. I honestly just don't believe that this is random but rather designed to con players into buying R&D packs until they get the ship and the more packs they buy the higher the odds become making buying more packs pointless. However that fact is lost on the player because the way the game statistics are written, the more you buy the better your chance of winning. Which of course is bull****.

Figure this, 4 boxes cost $10.00. I spent 6000 zen ($60.00) on R&D Boxes, and got just R&D stuff and about 25 lobi. A ship, say a new T6 Command Cruiser set costs only $50.00.*

I just spent, ya I am ****ing stupid and should be called out on it, 60 bucks and got nothing of value in return. NOTHING! Whereupon if I had won on the last box I would have ended up paying 60.00 bucks for a single ship worth about 15.

Ya its a scam and I hope players catch onto it fast. If not for needing the R&D stuff I'd be truly disappointed. But I did need the R&D stuff.

In this galaxy, there's a mathematical probability of three million Earth-type planets. And in all of the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that... and perhaps more, only one of each of us.
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited March 2015
    I am just wondering as I have now opened 25 R&D boxes and have not mangaed to obtain the new Jem ship. They say you get lobi, but in 25 boxes I have only earned 26 lobi. This doens't sound right given the information stated on the news release.

Is the damn thing borken? Or do I just need to buy another 25 R&D boxes to and try again? What then? Another 25?

Sorry, but I think this is a scam of epic proportions. Each box costs $3.00 (or 300 zen) and while you can spend $10.00 for 4 boxes, you still get the shaft because as I have said, I am up to 25 boxes now and have nothing to show for it but depleted Zen. (I had the zen and figured why the hell not.)

Now I am out of zen and don't want to buy any more so there I am. I do believe I have been scammed.

Shame of you Crypitic for getting my hopes up with false odds and fusssy math.

I opened 60+ boxes and got one. Got quite a kick out of the seven pvt messages that followed with offers from 200 million to 500 million.

On a side note, I have easily 300 million in stuff from the boxes anyways. One way or another, I could have bought it if people were selling it.

Have not decided whether to sell it or keep it, but leaning now to keep it since they give the Dreadnaught the frigate pets. Have the lobi set aside for the dreadnaught, but waiting to see what the market will bare. (or metaphorically bear).

while no one has done the 1000 box opening thing on Tribble yet, likely this will have the same percentage of 0.04%.
  • grimrak1grimrak1 Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Its been reported that a few players have scored more than one of these ships after only opneing a couple of boxes. HOW is that possible? I wouldn't believe it say for the fact I was on when one such incident happened and you could read it in the chat.... WTF cryptic... WTF?

Either someone is gaming the system, or the game is systematically designed to TRIBBLE players and post FAKE reward messages to generate incentive for the rest of us to buy into the scam

Again, how can someone win more than one of these ships, one right after the other, if most can't get 1 even if we open 50 boxes? This smells like a rigged game.

I call foul on this R&D (Win a Ship) scam box!!!

I restate: I think I got scammed and this entire Win A Ship is nothing more than a scam.

I sincerely think this entire "win a ship" is nothing more than a rigged lotto, house always wins, Cheat to Win, scam. Post a couple of fake message every few minutes announcing so and so won a ship in order to trick players into thinking that the odds of winning are higher than they really are. (A scam)

I don't know... I just feel cheated. And I suspect, that I may not be alone in this regard.

Look, this is obviously legitimate. You need to remember that the chances of winning are roughly a thousand to one.

Having said that, I would like to congratulate our ex community-manager and ex-PWE employee, Branden Felczer, who managed to win one of these highly coveted and rare ships in the first hour of the patch going live, just in time to replace his old bugship. I hope you can continue to enjoy Ker'rat and the rest of the game in that new ship.
    Fx3popQ.png
    But you know what? I guess it doesn't matter now does it? By being allowed to visit their studios Cryptic has pretty much signed off on you and your fleet haven't they? They've said in deed what most of us have suspected for years. They're not going to stop you. They're not going to correct you. You won. After long last, you really, really won. STO is yours and no one is going to do a thing about it. Congratulations.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Figure this, 4 boxes cost $10.00. I spent 6000 zen ($60.00) on R&D Boxes, and got just R&D stuff and about 25 lobi. A ship, say a new T6 Command Cruiser set costs only $50.00.*

I just spent, ya I am ****ing stupid and should be called out on it, 60 bucks and got nothing of value in return. NOTHING! Whereupon if I had won on the last box I would have ended up paying 60.00 bucks for a single ship worth about 15.

You should have gotten 10 Lobi per box; you have a legitimate complaint if you didn't. The rest is just ranty buyer's remorse.

I just spent 50 Euro on 5 4-packs too; and, of course, got nothing. Feel groggy about it, for sure, but I only blame myself.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I guess the actual answer to the OP's question is...

How much are you willing to spend?
    Because it's takes as much money and the associated random number of boxes till you get it.

<shrug>
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    RNG, perhaps the most powerful videogame antagonist of them all. Best not to tangle with it unless you have to.

I won't tell anyone how to spend their own money since it is up to them, but as Qui-Gon Jinn once said "every time you gamble you must prepare to lose".

Or something like that.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Chances are the OP bought packs off the exchange, which give 0 lobi. Or opened lockboxes which give ~5 lobi. They've since realized their mistake are too embarrassed to admit it.
  • mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    How many boxes does it take before it becomes wrong?

A thousand?

Fifty thousand?

A million?

HOW MANY BOXES DOES IT TAKE, ADMIRAL???
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • frontline2042frontline2042 Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Took me 16 boxes which is about right for a lockbox ship (average cost is $50. I got this for $40). Sucks to hear about your bad luck but it's no more of a scam than any lockbox ship.
    Ignorance is an obstacle not an excuse
    Let the stupid suffer
  • rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    but waiting to see what the market will bare. (or metaphorically bear).

Not metaphorically, but you were looking for "bear" -- not like to bare arms, but as in to get your bearings and/or direction related.

It's a term basically saying you're waiting to see which way the market will go, or which way will it bear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bearing_(navigation)

Just FYI.
    edited March 2015
    Not metaphorically, but you were looking for "bear" -- not like to bare arms, but as in to get your bearings and/or direction related.

It's a term basically saying you're waiting to see which way the market will go, or which way will it bear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bearing_(navigation)

Just FYI.

I figured he was trying to make a pun about the phrase "bear market", when stocks go down.
    Let the stupid suffer
    edited March 2015
    Keep in mind the actual cost of trying to win that ship. You could spend upwards of $50.00 or more without ever even coming close to winning it. Only get the R&D boxes if you NEED the R&D materials.

But its your zen, spend it how you wish. :D
  • mhirtescmhirtesc Member Posts: 581 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The only winning move is not to play.
  • rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    mhirtesc wrote: »
    The only winning move is not to play.

QFT /10char
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    My browser decided it was quantum duplicate post time.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    mugat0 wrote: »
    OP,

It's not a scam. It's an ONLINE game. When one plays an online game, one can play with what the game gives for free or what the game offers one that is super rare or whatever. Once one gets these items of rareness, it makes your game more enjoyable and fun. Yes, the company makes money etc. That is business. Sorry, you have not received this ship. At least you rolled the dice and took a chance on getting it. You tried. You lost. Welcome to life.

Last time they had a RD Box ship whatever giveaway, I bought 10 boxes and got nothing. This time I bought 15 to better my chances. So I figure. On my 3rd box, lord and behold a SHINEY Tier 6 Jem'Hadar Strike Ship in my inventory. On my 3rd box. WOW ! I beleive it is totaly random or some will call it luck. not sure.

All I know is, within in seconds the OFFERS flew. 200 million, 300 million, 425 million was the highest. I think once one gets this ship. It will be very hard to let go for any price. Especially if you have the other Jem Hadar ships. Once you have all of them, the consoles can be used all in one ship. So, that make this a valuable prize and I would say, one of the hardest to obtain within STO.

I still had 12 boxes left. Nothing. I will say it is just random luck that one gets a lockbox/RD pack ship.

Rolling a 100 on a d100 does not increase, nor increase, the odds of rolling 100 on the next roll.

Buying 2 PowerBall lottery tickets does give you twice the chances, not twice the chance, of winning. The chance per ticket is so low to get any significant increase in the overall likelihood of winning you'd have to purchase a significant portion of the number space and if that was a sound investment people would be doing it.

But the ship is a totally per roll chance. You can never guarantee you'll get one.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    mrspidey2 wrote: »
    How many boxes does it take before it becomes wrong?

"Six hundred and one, obviously." --NC
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • zenn3kzenn3k Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I opened about 50+ boxes last night. Did not get the ship, did get my 10 lobi in each box, earning me about 500+ Lobi, which was nice.

Still though, after spending $200, I'm pretty disappointed. Obviously I'm a sucker at this point, probably the last money I spend on this game for the next year or so.

Keep seeing messages that people are opening them left and right…50 boxes and no dice. Judging by the number I saw opened last night (roughly about 100+, it was a spam fest) and that it takes about $300-$400 to get one, Cryptic made at least 40-50 thousand dollars last night alone.

Seems like bull**** that can't increase the drop rate just a LITTLE when they clearly make enough in 1 day to fund this game for months.
    edited March 2015
    zenn3k wrote: »
    I opened about 50+ boxes last night. Did not get the ship, did get my 10 lobi in each box, earning me about 500+ Lobi, which was nice.

Still though, after spending $200, I'm pretty disappointed. Obviously I'm a sucker at this point, probably the last money I spend on this game for the next year or so.

Keep seeing messages that people are opening them left and right…50 boxes and no dice. Judging by the number I saw opened last night (roughly about 100+, it was a spam fest) and that it takes about $300-$400 to get one, Cryptic made at least 40-50 thousand dollars last night alone.

Seems like bull**** that can't increase the drop rate just a LITTLE when they clearly make enough in 1 day to fund this game for months.

If you think 50k is enough to fund the game for a month you're delusional. 50k would be enough to cover 25k in salaries (with all the insurance and taxes it costs the employer double what the actual employee makes). Which is far less than what they pay out much less electricity and rent.
    Let the stupid suffer
    edited March 2015
    If you think 50k is enough to fund the game for a month you're delusional. 50k would be enough to cover 25k in salaries (with all the insurance and taxes it costs the employer double what the actual employee makes). Which is far less than what they pay out much less electricity and rent.

Its certainly more than enough to fund it for 1 day.

Since they are making 50k a day, thats 1.5 million a month. Games/servers don't cost THAT much to maintain.

A 1% increase in the drop rate wouldn't put them out of business, which was the damn point.

$200 and nothing to show for it makes me pretty annoyed and makes it pretty hard to enjoy the game.

I'm honestly considering attempting to issue a credit card charge back, I feel pretty ripped off.
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited March 2015
    I look at the stats of the ship the JHSS

I look at the price of fleet and C-store ships

I look at the rewards for space content and how hard it is to do with the ships I have

And the JHSS is worth 35$ tops

Too make it worse its limited to only one character
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,791 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Never buy a box ship off gambling keys/packages. GET them from the exchange...100% you will get a ship.

Take it from someone who makes money selling boxed ships...business is great and keep people happy from remorse buying :eek:
    DUwNP.gif

edited March 2015
    zenn3k wrote: »
    Its certainly more than enough to fund it for 1 day.

Since they are making 50k a day, thats 1.5 million a month. Games/servers don't cost THAT much to maintain.

A 1% increase in the drop rate wouldn't put them out of business, which was the damn point.

$200 and nothing to show for it makes me pretty annoyed and makes it pretty hard to enjoy the game.

I'm honestly considering attempting to issue a credit card charge back, I feel pretty ripped off.

You'd be surprised how expensive it is to run a company. PWE in total, across all their games had 500 million in revenue, and 90 million in profit ( http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-03-11-perfect-world-full-year-revenue-rises).
    Side note: trying to issue a charge back would constitute fraud. There was no promise you would get the ship, it'd be like trying to charge back purchases from a casino or lottery tickets.
    Let the stupid suffer
    edited March 2015
    I love how the only way you can justify your argument is by completely ignoring all the expenses of running a business except the maintenance cost of the servers.

Please do so. Charge backs result in the permanent banning of the customers account. Especially fraudulent charge backs. And nothing is more entertaining to watch than someone raging because he got his account banned and lost everything before he gets modsmacked.

Oh gee, I'd be so sad if I got banned and couldn't use all these useless R&D items, I just don't know what I'd so with myself. However, I could certainly find other ways to use that $200.