test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Enemy warp core breaches hit immediately.

predconpredcon Member Posts: 478 Arc User
edited April 2015 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
There used to be a little bit of time to clear away from an enemy ship that was about to blow. Now there isn't. The moment a Borg Cube or Command Vessel or Elachi Walker hits 0% Hull Points, bang!, immense amounts of damage to anyone too close. Which is usually everyone. Oh, but nearby enemy ships don't take damage until the actual "explode!" animation cycles.
Post edited by predcon on

Comments

• khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    I noticed this the other day. I was fighting a Voth Citadel in the Voth space zone and I was preparing to hit brace for impact and evasive just as it got to zero then out of nowhere I was dead. When I checked the damage report it said I'd been hit by the warp core breach...
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    I didn't know the insta damage from when I was getting hit from WCB damage was a bug, but I can confirm it's happening. I've gotten hit plenty of times, particularly when blowing up any of the 3 cubes in ISA. Also happens in Ker'rat all the time.
  • predconpredcon Member Posts: 478 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The way I understood it, when you see a ship start to explode, you clear out fast. You get a few seconds before it blows and you take damage. The bug isn't the damage, it's that you don't get time anymore to avoid it. I first noticed it during the Shuttle Weekend event, in the Atmosphere Assault queue.
    edited March 2015
    predcon wrote: »
    The way I understood it, when you see a ship start to explode, you clear out fast. You get a few seconds before it blows and you take damage. The bug isn't the damage, it's that you don't get time anymore to avoid it. I first noticed it during the Shuttle Weekend event, in the Atmosphere Assault queue.

Yeah, that is how it's supposed to happen. It's also still happening that way in most places, but for some reason some of the bosses seem to have gotten messed up.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • lebtronlebtron Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I also noticed today there are two warp core breaches for certain ships. One immediately as you describe it here and one a few seconds later, when it is supposed to be.
  • colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Until you posted this it didn't click......

For days I have noticed that I blow up simultaneously with mobs. And on a couple of occasions slightly before

The thing is though that in many cases, IMO, I am too far away to get the major blast
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Must be something else, as I myself do not experience this issue unless it is lagging severely but, this is only speculation.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

edited March 2015
    That's another thing, the "Torpedo hit explosion" animations will play on enemy ships the second before my torpedoes fire.
  • crypticfrostcrypticfrost Member Posts: 1,479 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2015
    This is not reproducing on our QA test server. That means it's nothing inherent in the Warp Core Breach itself, So I suspect it's a delay in communication between the game server and your computers that's the issue.
    STO QA Team
  • illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    This is not reproducing on our QA test server. That means it's nothing inherent in the Warp Core Breach itself, So I suspect it's a delay in communication between the game server and your computers that's the issue.

Incidentally, the Crystalline Entity now suffers a warp core breach when killed. It actually says so in the combat damage log and does the warp core breach animation, which is hilarious.
    edited March 2015

It doesn't happen on all content, but the stuff it does happen on seems pretty consistent. At least for me that is.

Though if it is down to lag, that wouldn't surprise me. Last weeks patch brought with it a TRIBBLE load of lag and this weeks only seems to have spread the problem around.
    edited March 2015
    I am sure most of you all are already aware, that the core breaches have a range of 3km?

Just putting it out there, for those who are not aware of this range amount.

edited March 2015
    I am sure most of you all are already aware, that the core breaches have a range of 3km?

Just putting it out there, for those who are not aware of this range amount.

The problem is, and I've been hit with it. Sometimes you destroy lets say a Borg Cube in ISA at point blank range and get hit with warp core breach damage the second the thing explodes. Very unlikely it's due to lag from where I'm playing.

Maybe someone playing from Boston with a pretty high speed connection that has experienced this problem could chime in.
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    illcadia wrote: »
    Incidentally, the Crystalline Entity now suffers a warp core breach when killed. It actually says so in the combat damage log and does the warp core breach animation, which is hilarious.

The entity has always had a warp core breach.
    edited March 2015
    It doesn't happen on all content, but the stuff it does happen on seems pretty consistent. At least for me that is.

Though if it is down to lag, that wouldn't surprise me. Last weeks patch brought with it a TRIBBLE load of lag and this weeks only seems to have spread the problem around.

That's what I was saying. I've only ever seen it happen with the Borg Command Ships and Elachi Walkers.
  • canis36canis36 Member Posts: 737 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Not sure this is the same thing, but I think there was a Dev post a while back that said that with some of the bigger enemies this "double damage" was intentional - if you're too close to some an enemy when it hits 0 HP it will explode and do damage. The Warp Core explosion is a much more powerful secondary explosion.
    edited March 2015
    canis36 wrote: »
    Not sure this is the same thing, but I think there was a Dev post a while back that said that with some of the bigger enemies this "double damage" was intentional - if you're too close to some an enemy when it hits 0 HP it will explode and do damage. The Warp Core explosion is a much more powerful secondary explosion.

I do believe this is the issue, for which they are experiencing.

All ships (even PC's) that I know of from experience, when they are initially destroyed.

They create a small explosive blast aoe dmg effect, before actually emitting a final warp core explosion upon complete death.

This is usually why you will sometimes notice, that a shield facing or, hull will suffer some dmg when first destroying an enemy vessel.

Than when they complete their death display, a final warp core explosion will result.

edited March 2015
    I do believe this is the issue, for which they are experiencing.

All ships (even PC's) that I know of from experience, when they are initially destroyed.

They create a small explosive blast aoe dmg effect, before actually emitting a final warp core explosion upon complete death.

This is usually why you will sometimes notice, that a shield facing or, hull will suffer some dmg when first destroying an enemy vessel.

Than when they complete their death display, a final warp core explosion will result.

Well if that is what's happening then it's doing a lot more damage than normal. I was at more than half health and had full shields up yet got killed at the exact same time I got the Voth Citadel to 0% hull and the damage report said I'd been hit for 38K damage from warp core breach. Seems excessive for a minor 'preview' explosion. I also witnessed the actual explosion a few seconds after I'd died.

At that particular time and location, I was experiencing no noticeable lag and had a pretty High FPS (for the Dyson sphere areas) of around 50.

I've been playing for five years and it was just last Thursday or Friday that I noticed this happen for the first time and it's happened a few times since, so to me that doesn't seem like something I would have just missed this whole time.
    edited March 2015
    Ditto. It had never been something I'd even noticed until the start of the Anniversary Event.
    edited March 2015
    Well if that is what's happening then it's doing a lot more damage than normal. I was at full more than half health and had full shields up yet got killed at the exact same time I got the Voth Citadel to 0% hull and the damage report said I'd been hit for 38K damage from warp core breach. Seems excessive for a minor 'preview' explosion. I also witnessed the actual explosion a few seconds after I'd died.

At that particular time and location, I was experiencing no noticeable lag and had a pretty High FPS (for the Dyson sphere areas) of around 50.

I've been playing for five years and it was just last Thursday or Friday that I noticed this happen for the first time and it's happened a few times since, so to me that doesn't seem like something I would have just missed this whole time.

Don't know what to tell you on this, as I myself do not ever experience this issue and, when I notice people being obliterated by core breeches, it's because they do not bother to maneuver out of the vicinity of it 99.9% of the time.

edited March 2015
    In the OP, I said specifically that I'm aware that I have a few moments to clear out. In one of the replies I said the same thing. We're not talking about people who don't know how to play here.

Tell me exactly how you expect repeatedly stating "I'm not having the same issue as you" is meant to help me -solve- that issue?
  • colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Ok... I saw this a lot during Double XP weekend when I was grinding

1) It doesn't feel like lag. I have gotten blown up by lag before and it doesn't feel the the same

2) Many times I have been outside the "radius"

3) There seems to be some kind of quantum entanglement. Like I am getting their damage applied to me. Most times I have noticed this its like I said earlier... We blow at AT THE SAME TIME. Its not like I was caught in a blast. And even then I had enough shields/hull that I should have survived most likely

Oh, and thank all you uber players letting us dumb noobs know not to be close when ships blow up
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • neuralswapneuralswap Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Sometimes i blowup immediately in this days 60.000 hull with reverse shield and other stuffs just boom, when i take a look at details it look like than have been hit by several torpedos than i never saw and all in the same instant
    edited March 2015
    If you're talking about during the Crystalline Entity event, you won't see those torpedoes. There are too many sprites for everything to render properly.

Alternatively, if you're using plasma torps, those could be your own hitting you.
    edited March 2015
    In the OP, I said specifically that I'm aware that I have a few moments to clear out. In one of the replies I said the same thing. We're not talking about people who don't know how to play here.

Tell me exactly how you expect repeatedly stating "I'm not having the same issue as you" is meant to help me -solve- that issue?

The same can be said, that I cannot reproduce the problem, than of course I cannot offer any advise now can I?

If I cannot see the issue as well, than I cannot actually comment on possible solutions neither!!!

People also need understand, that just because your screen may show something, doesn't always mean it is what the server side is saying!

edited March 2015
    The same can be said, that I cannot reproduce the problem, than of course I cannot offer any advise now can I?

If I cannot see the issue as well, than I cannot actually comment on possible solutions neither!!!
    !

So why clutter a thread with comments on not being able to comment on a solution?
    edited March 2015
    So why clutter a thread with comments on not being able to comment on a solution?

Ok, here's a solution that people should already know!

When you see that an enemy vessel is on the verge of dying [as in down to its last 2-3% of hull], make haste to get outside of that 3km area!

Simple.

edited April 2015
    I know people say this doesn't happen, but I just experienced it myself again. I was at point blank distance from my target, and shot a torpedo, and this happened:

[10:38] [Combat (Self)] Your Photon Torpedo gives 107 (693) to I.K.S. Baj's Shields.
    [10:38] [Combat (Self)] Your Photon Torpedo deals 2377 (2149) Kinetic Damage to I.K.S. Baj.
    [10:38] [Combat (Self)] I.K.S. Baj deals 5160 (5675) Kinetic Damage to you with Warp Core Breach.

The last two happened at the same time. Ship blew up and I was immediately hit back by a warp core breach, no couple of seconds to run away, just insta hit by a warp core breach. Easier to spot when it's just one NPC instead of the craziness of the PvE queues.
  • sarosssaross Member Posts: 248 Media Corps
    edited April 2015
    This happens a lot. I think I even have some videos if I reviewed them each that shows me a good distance from anything and blowing up from WCB. It almost seems like it was working as a feedback pulse.

So the insta Warp core blasts and distance issue doesn't seem to matter to the game. If it is intentional that the first instant blast occurs than it should have a different name given to it instead of Warp Core blast. IE hull rupture blast or something. And that should only have a 3km item on it.

When I run ISA I intentionally get hit by one blast to trigger GDF. Then as I move on from the cube to the spheres or generators I note a sphere doing a WCB which was 6KM and sometimes, further from me, go off and I die.

If the first blast is intended than change the name. However if it is only a warp core breach going off than we should have a few seconds to steer clear, not go our instant deaths.
    Need help with a mission to beat it? Visit http://pilotreviewshow.com to learn how we can help!

Top DPS 102k