test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Getting back to STO

sike1990sike1990 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
So hello. I leaved this game before this last expansion because my human engineer got deleted bla bla. Now i want to return back to STO and i am curious what have changed. I see alot of new ships, increase lv cap. My plan is to play human engineer, tank ( i know mostly it is not nedeed but i love feeling using beam arrays and tanking some1 ). Can i have some guidelines about human engineer, piloting cruiser beam boat. I LOVED fleet assault cruiser, it is my ideal cruiser ssetup, but i see it is old now and i dont understand all those new ships xd
Post edited by sike1990 on

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2015
    any ?,.,,,
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'm afraid very few people here have anything good to say about anything post DR, most would say "run while you can".

As far as ship building, for the most part not much has changed, you just follow the old rules and throw £100s at your ship getting gear to Mk 14.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    dd1mdd1m Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    If you want a tanking beam boat then I suspect the guardian would most likely be right up your street
    8ebd135a27dd1eb31f8ce7dff0bfba3a1f1467ac_full.jpg
  • Options
    thegcbaconthegcbacon Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Play the ship you enjoy the way you want, don't let the "fake casuals" get your mood down. They just want ez mode like STO was, back when ppl complained STO was too ez...see their logic?
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    level to 50 before you think about what ship. What you need to do from 1 to 50 is think about your captain skill tree, and plan that out.

If you level slowly, you will learn the new stuff. There are a lot of new things ... crafting is important because crafted gear *can* be some of the best and because level 15 in each school gives a trait (a couple of them might do for tanks...).

At 50, you have the reputation system to work through, and can start working on a set of rep gear. Still using your old ship, or whatever freebie. The lockbox APU ship is a good tank, with a small crew which is a huge advantage, and only costs a few EC.

As you gain rep, gear, and level to 60, you can start to work on your specialty captain tree (new) --- the intel and command trees both have some tanking / defense ideas so you need to look them over and make a choice. Intel is more about damage, but it still has some defense stuff.

After reaching 60 with tier V in all reps and having started on your spec tree, THEN you can worry about what ship to fly :) At that point, you might consider the command ships, which offer team support, or you could use an older ship and upgrade it, or you could do something different like a carrier, or whatever. There are tons of great tanks out there. The lockbox ship from last box is a t6 "cruiser" called the benthan that strikes a fine balance between damage and tanking. The "new" c-store ship "guardian" is a pure tank. The old galaxy dred is a pure tank. The free breen carrier from the event would make a strange but excellent tank.

I highly recommend using a ship that is a hybrid between tanking and damage like the benthan as the enemy in DR have more health and shields. A low damage pure tank will make every single encounter into an ordeal that takes half an hour instead of 3 min. Also, you can't tank if you can't get aggro, and you can't get aggro by doing 0 dps.

I would highly recommend the command tactical version ship. With 4 tac consoles and some tac seating, it would be an excellent tank with damage that also has group support.
  • Options
    karlbarbkarlbarb Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    OP, there are some really important differences since DR, and since the beginning of this year.

- T6 ships are top of the line now. BUT, you can upgrade your T5 ship for 700zen to more or less match their level. You don't *need* to, but it is recommended because of the significant boost in HP, the ship traits, and the extra console.

There are three differences that T6 has that T5U (U for upgraded) have: One added bridge officer slot (one ability, basically), a starship mastery trait that you keep and can use on any other ship (limit of 4), and hybrid specialization seating on one or two of your stations (depending on the ship).

Other than that, T6 and T5U are equal. And the starship traits you get from T6 can be used on T5U ships too. And T5U *fleet* ships are actually sometimes a bit stronger than their base T6 counterparts due to the one extra console. Same with premium T5U ships. The Vesta and Odyssey, for example, are still very very good ships. Well, until such a time as they announce T6 fleet ships as a lot of people have been clamoring for ;)

Level cap is raised to 60.
    Items are upgradeable to Mark XIV.
    Advanced and Elite missions have scaled up a good deal in difficulty as a result.
    There's an entirely new quadrant and missions to explore
    Every patrol mission now (as of last week in fact), can net you a lot of dilithium and experience, although you can't repeat the same one back to back.
    Bridge officers are trained with manuals and permanently learn those skills, and you can switch back and forth in sector space at will (really really cool change).

I might be missing some things, but that's the gist of it.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    that guardian cruiser looks awesome if you ask me, fleet assault cruiser also...