test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Upgrading Romulan Plasma Beams...

samomightysamomighty Member Posts: 8 Arc User
edited March 2015 in The Academy
Hi,

i was hoping some of you vets could help me out with a question i have before i spend anymore EC and Dil.

i decided on using Romulan Plasma Beams for a ship of mine and i have been upgrading them from 12 to 14 as i should. i have dumped untold amounts of EC in the research accelerators and who knows how much in Dil and i cannot, for the life of me, get 1 of the 6 beams to go ultra rare or beyond.

i got all of them to level 14 but thats it. i have searched high and low for stats on ultra rare or epic Romulan Plasma Beams and i cannot seem to find anything.

so before i drop one more penny into upgrading, do Romulan Plasma Beams go beyond very rare? and if they do, on average, how many of the research tokens do i need to use?

thank you.
Post edited by samomighty on

Comments

• caelrasstocaelrassto Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Ultra Rare and Epic just add mods to the existing weapons. The Epic mod is a special [Acc/Dam] combo mod.

They can be upgraded, but it's pricey. Someone figured it out in this post:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1387321

Cutting and pasting from that post,
    2) Experimental upgrade
    5% to get a upgrade.
    0,95 * 0,90 * 0,85 * 0,80 * 0,75 = 0,4361
    This means after 5 tries to go EPIC, we have have 43,61% chance to not have gotten a upgrade.
    Or 56,39% to have upgraded to EPIC.
    5 tries * 17 experimental upgrades * 800.000 EC = 68.000.000 EC
    5 tries * 17 experimental upgrades * 1.075 Dil = 91.375 Dil

So if you want a 56% of an epic, you need to dump 68 million EC AND 91K dilithium. Per weapon. (Actually, I think there's a problem with the math. You may need to do this TWICE to get from VR to Epic per weapon.)

Most people get epic from crafting Mk II weapons and upgrading from there, where the cost is MUCH less.

But overall, unless you're ridiculously wealthy in game (or in real life...), you're probably best served by sticking with Very Rare weapons. The difference between Mk 14 Epic and Mk 14 Very Rare is not enough to justify the obscene cost.
  • samomightysamomighty Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    thank you very much for the response.

and yeah, i was well on my way to spending those numbers. after trying 3 different times to get just one of the beams from vr 14 to ur 14, i figured i was trying to upgrade something that couldn't be upgraded or i would spend so much trying to do it, i would quit the game.

better off getting the fleet versions of plasma and going for an epic rather than doing rom plasma and hoping for ultra rare.

what a joke. and sadly, its on me.
  • atlmyklatlmykl Member Posts: 305 Arc User1
    edited March 2015
    samomighty wrote: »
    thank you very much for the response.

and yeah, i was well on my way to spending those numbers. after trying 3 different times to get just one of the beams from vr 14 to ur 14, i figured i was trying to upgrade something that couldn't be upgraded or i would spend so much trying to do it, i would quit the game.

better off getting the fleet versions of plasma and going for an epic rather than doing rom plasma and hoping for ultra rare.

what a joke. and sadly, its on me.
    Get vr mk iv corrosive plasma. They are like romulan plasma with a extra mod and super easy to make epic with an omega upgrade paired with a 2x research booster.