test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Additional Rewards Throughout Star Trek Online (Updated)

pwgroverclvlndpwgroverclvlnd Member Posts: 11 Cryptic Developer
We hope you are enjoying the recent improvements to the rewards. This recent update added a lot of different ways to earn more Skill Points, Expertise and Dilithium. Based on feedback and session data collected over the weekend, we are seeing a trend that some patrols are seeing more play than others based on their Dilithium reward. Most patrols are rewarding 480 Dilithium. Some are awarding 360 Dilithium, while a few are rewarding 720. In order to simplify the system and encourage play of any patrol for the Dilithium, we are making every patrol reward 480 Dilithium for completion. This change will not affect the Skill Points or Expertise being rewarded and will only affect the Delta Quadrant and Tau Dewa Patrols that were recently modified.

We will continue to monitor the play session, as well as your feedback, and make further changes as needed.

Charles Gray
Lead Content Designer
Star Trek Online

Copied from previous post:

We are pleased to announce a large-scale improvement to rewards to Star Trek Online. Over the past few months, we have been trickling out some minor changes, but now the bulk of the improvements we have been working on is complete and will be available this coming Thursday, February 26th.

The changes we made were based on your feedback, as well as extensive data mining of things like completion times, participation and success rates. The main goal we had in mind was to treat Skill Points, Expertise, and Dilithium more like a time currency – that is, you play for X minutes you will earn Y rewards. Although this will never be an exact science, we wanted to ensure that time invested would earn you similar rates of these rewards across the game – regardless of what you choose to play. This mostly meant an increase or addition of rewards to much of the game content, but in a few cases, there were reductions where some content was over-rewarding. What we did was look at actual playtime data, as well as our own internal playtesting, and normalized the rewards across content like patrols, queues, adventure zones, missions, etc. Not every piece of content has been fully updated, but most of the primary content was adjusted with this philosophy in mind.

PvE Queues:
  • PvE queues have had their Skill Point and Expertise rewards increased significantly. For most, this is approximately a three-fold increase.
  • Dilithium rewards for Normal difficulty PvE queues have been increased from 360 to 480.

Sector Patrols (Delta Quadrant and Tau Dewa Sector Block):
  • A reward of 480 Dilithium has been added to all of the sector patrols.
  • Skill Point and Expertise rewards have been adjusted so they give a relative amount to one another for the expected play time. For the most part, this meant a reduction in Skill points and Expertise for Delta quadrant Patrols as they were far over-rewarding compared to the rest of the game.
  • A 30-minute cooldown has been built into the sector doors for patrols preventing player from re-entering the same patrol until this timer is complete. This timer starts after the mission is completed, similar to the cooldowns found on PvE Queues. Patrol completion times vary greatly from patrol to patrol and from player to player. Adding a cooldown times allows us to keep the rewards relatively high, but still keep them normalized and acts failsafe in the event certain loopholes or exploits develop.
  • Tau Dewa Sector Block patrols now each reward 10 Romulan Marks upon completion of that individual patrol, and there is no longer a daily mission that needs to be obtained in order to earn mark rewards from these patrols. This should make them functionally the same as their Delta Quadrant counterparts.

Adventure/Battle Zones:
  • All Adventure Zone and Battle Zone missions award Skill Points and Expertise for completion.
  • We added Elite Marks (Borg Neural Processors, Ancient Power Cells, Voth Cybernetic Implants, and Isomorphic Injections) to Adventure/Battle Zones. We wanted to respond to feedback that there were not enough places to earn elite marks outside of PvE Queues:
  • Borg Neural Processors have been added as a once per day reward to the following missions on the Defera Invasion Zone: Modus Operandi, Getting to the Bottom of Things, Uninvited Guests, Counter Offensive
  • Ancient Power Cells have been added as a once per day reward to the following missions on the Kobali Prime Adventure Zone: At the Gates, The Last Stand
  • Note that you can already earn Voth Cybernetic Implants by defeating a V-Rex on the Voth Ground Battle Zone and the Undine Isomorphic Injections from defeating the Planet Killer in the Undine Space Battlezone in the Solanae Dyson Sphere.

Missions:
  • Missions found in the episode journal will reward Dilithium for both first time play (a large bonus amount) and replay (a smaller amount).
  • Skill Point and Expertise rewards for mission replay have been increased (by an additional 25% in most cases).
  • First-play rewards for repeatable Delta Rising missions have been improved from Mk XIII Rare rewards to Mk XIII Very Rare rewards. Replay rewards for those missions remain as Mk XII Rare rewards.

These changes should be a vast improvement to your reward experience in Star Trek Online. Although this is the bulk of the changes we have been working on, we have a few more changes planned in the pipeline. We will also be monitoring playtimes, participation and success rates of game content and continue to adjust rewards as needed. We look forward to you enjoying the new improvements and, more importantly, your feedback.
Cryptic Studios Team Member
Post edited by pwgroverclvlnd on

Comments

• flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Missions:
    • Missions found in the episode journal will reward Dilithium for both first time play (a large bonus amount) and replay (a smaller amount).
    • Skill Point and Expertise rewards for mission replay have been increased (by an additional 25% in most cases).
    • First-play rewards for repeatable Delta Rising missions have been improved from Mk XIII Rare rewards to Mk XIII Very Rare rewards. Replay rewards for those missions remain as Mk XII Rare rewards.
    Might it be prudent(?) to retain the same reward both for initial play, and replay? There's less purpose for people to go back and replay old missions if the rewards for them are lesser, surely?

If it is your intent that people make use of the missions, then there needs to be a benefit for doing so, otherwise I would imagine people will acquire the initial reward(s) and then jump back into their STFs.

Edit: Otherwise, I'm liking the changes. :)
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    First-play rewards for repeatable Delta Rising missions have been improved from Mk XIII Rare rewards to Mk XIII Very Rare rewards. Replay rewards for those missions remain as Mk XII Rare rewards.

This one thing, for people who already played through the missions prior to this change and got the Mk13 Rare, is there no way they can go back and get the Mk13 VR version then?
  • crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,802 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    How about having DIL as optional to more XP/Specs? Would be nice to have the option.
    DUwNP.gif

• dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Based on feedback and session data collected over the weekend, we are seeing a trend that some patrols are seeing more play than others based on their Dilithium reward. Most patrols are rewarding 480 Dilithium. Some are awarding 360 Dilithium, while a few are rewarding 720. In order to simplify the system and encourage play of any patrol for the Dilithium, we are making every patrol reward 480 Dilithium for completion. This change will not affect the Skill Points or Expertise being rewarded and will only affect the Delta Quadrant and Tau Dewa Patrols that were recently modified.

Some of those patrols take a dreadfully long time and really deserve the higher payout. Equalizing things to 480 just means it's more efficient to run whatever the quickest patrol is again.
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    Eurgh, so that spiel about rewarding based on time/effort it takes was a load of rubbish then yeah? Now because people are preferring the 720 reward, you're just going to nerf it...

Cryptic logic:
    People play this because it rewards more for their time and effort so they must enjoy that more... Let's lower it's rewards and force them to grind more in other places so they can have no fun whatsoever.

You guys need to get a serious grip of how much you're destroying the fun of end game. The XP grind is beyond a joke.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • pwecaptainsmirkpwecaptainsmirk Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Just posting to make sure this gets into the Dev Tracker.

~Smirk
  • phantrosityphantrosity Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    This has dramatically reduced the reward to time ratio.

Three times an irrelevant bonus is still irrelevant.
  • mattaukettmattaukett Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I smell a we got it wrong on the dilithium rewards for some of the missions here admission (which given that one or two of the high payouts are coming from rather short missions is sort of understandable). But overall this sounds like a nerf guy's and show's you need to understand some of the mechanics in the missions better to get these reward ratios right (you need some sort of reward system that dynamically rewards based on average mission times to avoid these situations if I'm honest).

On a side note, could we please get an update to the rewards for non-DQ/Tau Dewa patrols along the lines of the dilithium rewards added to the new patrols please :) might make some of that old patrol content all over the galaxy a little more relevant again, maybe throw in a few fleet marks as well for them.

And as a nit pick on the details for battlezone rewards - really would have been nice if you'd actually announced that the dilithium rewards were being nerfed by over 50% for each capture point/open mission because that was not a nice stealth nerf when you're trying to tell people you're listerning to their feedback on rewards being nerfed left right and centre.
    edited March 2015
    This has dramatically reduced the reward to time ratio.

Three times an irrelevant bonus is still irrelevant.

480 is hardly irrelevant for how fast some of those patrols go. I'm much more concerned with the rewards in the longer, involved patrols.
  • kazabokkazabok Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I just wanted to check, the flat 192 Dil for all Episode replays isn't a bug then?

I assumed that the talk of scaling reward would cause that to vary based on the length of the Episode.
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The following Tau Dewa patrols are...hilariously faster to complete than patrols in the Delta Quadrant, and the dil/skill/xp payouts are over-rewarding as a result.

Carraya
    Japori
    Beta Thoridor
    Gamma Eridon
    Narendra
    Archer

Sorry to spoil the fun but, just nerf these. You're gonna do it anyway eventually. The sooner, the better.
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    What did you metrics tell you of the XP earnings in game? No mention of that in your update. I played a lot of STO this weekend (I actually had one of my "free weekends" correspond with an event, yay me!). All my alts got played at least a little, and while some progress was made, I still feel that for the effort, they didn't level-up as much as I'd expect. And that was during a Double-XP Weekend!!! If double-earnings seem barely adequate, then doesn't that mean normal XP earnings are half what they should be?

Please re-evaluate the XP requirements/earnings for leveling-up.

Thanks.

Otherwise, I'm sad to see you're nerfing some of the dil rewards. :rolleyes: >shakes head in disappointment<

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • coulomb2coulomb2 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Count me in as someone who is perplexed by the logic of the change. What I'm reading is that people were gravitating toward patrols that had good dilithium rewards compared to the time required to play them (which is understandable). Your goal: encourage players to not favor one patrol over another. Your answer: make all of the patrols the same dilithium reward. But that doesn't solve the problem you seem to want to solve...

Put another way:

Original Setup:
    Let's say patrols 1-3 each take 9 minutes, and award 720 dilithium.
    Let's say patrols 4-6 each take 7 minutes, and award 480 dilithium.
    Let's say patrols 7-9 each take 5 minutes, and award 360 dilithium.
    Let's say patrol 10 takes 15 minutes, and awards 720 dilithium.
    And patrol 11 takes 2 minutes, and awards 360 dilithium.

So P1-3: 80 dil/min
    P4-6: 68.6 dil/min
    P7-9: 72 dil/min
    P10: 48 dil/min
    P11: 180 dil/min

So I'll do 11 whenever it comes up, followed by 1-3, and avoid 4-10. Especially 10. That one is never getting done. In other words (as stated) I'm favoring some patrols over others.

"Solution": Make patrols 1-11 all worth 480 dilithium.
    P1-3: 53.3 dil/min
    P4-6: 68.6 dil/min
    P7-9: 96 dil/min
    P10: 32 dil/min
    P11: 240 dil/min

So I still do 11 whenever possible. Now I'll likely do 7-9 next, and then pick one or two from 4-6 to fill out the 30 minutes. I'm never doing 10 and (now) not doing 1-3. I'm still favoring some and avoiding others (and the "must have" and the "never do" two patrols are the same two patrols).

In fact, it seems like it actually makes things worse - the spread between the minimum reward/time and the max is even larger than before.
    edited March 2015
    coulomb2 wrote: »
    Count me in as someone who is perplexed by the logic of the change.

Thanks for this post. You summed it up much better than I could.
  • executiveoneexecutiveone Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    This one thing, for people who already played through the missions prior to this change and got the Mk13 Rare, is there no way they can go back and get the Mk13 VR version then?

+1. That one cannot even reclaim the unique DR rewards is just bogus to me.
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    So exactly how many queues got nerfed versus how many got buffed? Is there an exact breakdown anywhere??

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    Eurgh, so that spiel about rewarding based on time/effort it takes was a load of rubbish then yeah? Now because people are preferring the 720 reward, you're just going to nerf it...

Cryptic logic:
    People play this because it rewards more for their time and effort so they must enjoy that more... Let's lower it's rewards and force them to grind more in other places so they can have no fun whatsoever.

You guys need to get a serious grip of how much you're destroying the fun of end game. The XP grind is beyond a joke.

What this guy has said, and as I posted in the last thread mathematically you've nerfed the rewards for XP gain again with the last update, and now you're nerfing the dil rewards as well? I agree entirely with Kham, this is getting to be beyond a joke, and frankly I'd even go as far as to say that is an understatement.

What I would really like to know, is what on earth the logic was behind this in the first place? I mean you changed the numbers to supposedly be a zero numbers game, and that was a nerf, then these changes have created another nerf to XP gains, and that's not even starting on the whole Tau-Dewagate mess.

As I said in the last thread I said that XP Event levels of gain should be the norm, if not a bit (understatement of my own?) more, as frankly right now I simply do not see why I should invest my time doing something I get little to no reward for.
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    These guys with their metrics know how long on average each patrol take, and could very well assign dil rewards that make sense based on time spent, but because they need for some reason to assign arbitrary round dil numbers to everything (240, 480, 720, 960) they decide to give a flat amount which brings us back to the whole problem of pushing players into doing whatever takes the least time for dil farming, therefore making other things basically obsolete.
  • smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    bla

You should go into politics.

You know exactly how to make a flat-out nerf sound like something completely different. :D
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,185 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    We hope you are enjoying the recent improvements to the rewards. This recent update added a lot of different ways to earn more Skill Points, Expertise and Dilithium. Based on feedback and session data collected over the weekend, we are seeing a trend that some patrols are seeing more play than others based on their Dilithium reward. Most patrols are rewarding 480 Dilithium. Some are awarding 360 Dilithium, while a few are rewarding 720. In order to simplify the system and encourage play of any patrol for the Dilithium, we are making every patrol reward 480 Dilithium for completion. This change will not affect the Skill Points or Expertise being rewarded and will only affect the Delta Quadrant and Tau Dewa Patrols that were recently modified.

We will continue to monitor the play session, as well as your feedback, and make further changes as needed.

Charles Gray
    Lead Content Designer
    Star Trek Online

Okay, lets review real quick.

1-You nerf the xp rewards for Argala, then give small amounts of xp to the other stuff in the game, which now takes even longer for those that were grinding to level up take even longer than it did before.

The proper thing would have been to give the same xp reward per time to all of the other content in the game.

2-You used metrics over this weekend, where you change not one thing to patrols, but three. The Dil rewards, Dil rewards, and time gated them. So, your metrics are way off.

You said, "we are seeing a trend that some patrols are seeing more play than others based on their Dilithium reward." However, how do you know that all of those other patrols that are now being run were ONLY because you gave them more Dil as a reward? I am pretty sure that if you didn't nerf xp rewards in Argala, and it was still giving the most xp, it would have still seen more players there.

3-Everytime an idea is implemented, and no one there thinks it through properly, we end up with just another mess you are going to try to fix. Seriously, just take a min to think about it.

You see more players playing one set of patrols because they have more Dil. Then you equalize the rewards no matter how long it takes to finish them. So, this means that the quicker patrols now reward more for their time than before, the ones in the middle are not changed, and you nerf the ones that rewarded appropriate for their time.

What do you seriously think is going to happen? Anyone in their right mind is going to just run all of the quicker missions now because they are obviously rewarding more for the time spent than the others. You just created the exact same situation, just with quicker missions. No one there could have seen this coming? Really?

I am sorry, but whoever is the one calling the shots here doesn't know what they are doing.

First, you have power creep as the only focus in the game. If something new doesn't sell, it is buffed to do more DPS so it will sell. You have ridiculous Dil sinks in the game that haven't even been addressed properly. You keep trying to keep those trying to grind the xp so that they can unlock stuff hidden behind it, and making it an even longer grind for them. And now, you are worried about the Dil rewards in some of the patrols?

Trust me, people playing a few patrols more than others is NOT the problem here. Using Dil and xp to herd, or bribe players (whichever one you choose to use) is not going to fix the game's problems. All it will do is frustrate more of the players that are still playing, and that is not a good thing at this point.

Don't misunderstand what I am saying. I am not saying that adding a few Dil and xp rewards is a bad thing. That was actually a smart thing. But, nerfing the xp that we were able to get from Argala was just bad form. It was still giving out less xp than what it should have before, and now is giving out even less. Then time gating the patrols, while you don't do that to the BZ. Followed by the nerf to longer mission rewards, while buffing the quicker ones.

Too many bad calls can actually make one small good one look bad. Look at DR. The art was amazing. But that often gets overshadowed by the horrible direction that ones in charge took. Too many bad decisions that were made have caused DR to leave a very bad taste in a large amount of players. And that is still going on.

Please, please, stop making bad decisions, and try to see what this game really needs, and work on that. It will be much better time invested, and you will start seeing more rewards coming back to you. That is how a business works.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    coulomb2 wrote: »
    Count me in as someone who is perplexed by the logic of the change...

What he said.

:o

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • prediwave1prediwave1 Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    What a joke. Unfortunately it is too late for them to walk back the greed based changes. This game is in a death spiral. They broke the backs of 90% of the guilds and more than half the players have quit.
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'm starting to think that maybe Cryptic really is just a bad game development company.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Charles Gray
    Lead Content Designer
    Star Trek Online

Hi,

first of all thank you for adjusting rewards throughout the game. Nevertheless any reasoning towards any form of balance between them still seems to escape me. Perhaps you could clear up a few questions.

- You settle a single patrol to 480 Dil while having the same number for a queued event in normal mode. The time/effort ratio on some of them is massively different though. Why?

- You enhanced the means to earn skill point through queued events threefold. Unfortunately in reality this seems to be increase which settles a reward at some ~3k SP even for an elite match. Considering the obstacles to rerun highly rewarding patrol missions in normal mode due to timers now how is this considered an improvement to rewards?

- My gaming time varies so I have a picture on different timeframes of the day. In my impression general queue participation still seems as low as ever throughout the day. Do you think this could be in any way reward/effort related?

Thank you in advance.

- Connor
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    You still stay Modus Operandi gives out a neural processor. But it doesn't. There were threads on that. If you're doing a straight cut and paste, at least edit the relevant parts first. Please.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • rsoblivionrsoblivion Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Is it just me or are some of the Dev team working for Salami_Inferno and others for Geko? Salami wants to fix things and present good new stuff, Geko wants to hit all the peasants with a nerf bat continually until they're dead...

Why on earth would we be happy with a method that reduces overall XP and renders attempting to level even worse than continually re-running Argala...

I really don't get your metrics for balance as they aren't based on logic, just based on someone looking at numbers in a spreadsheet with no context.
    Chris Robert's on SC:
    "You don't have to do something again and again and again repetitive that doesn't have much challange, that's just a general good gameplay thing."
  • jarenriccarjarenriccar Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Cryptic logic:

riiiiight. causes loss of fun. sure. because everyone in here hasn't spent I don't know....MONTHS complaining about grinding Argala. now you have to play different things.
    27507930894_3855d74146_o.jpg

• possiblyboredpossiblybored Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Very frustrated with the rules of this game changing every week. Who knows what mysteries next week shall bring!

I was enjoying trying out some of the patrols in other sectors I've never done. But if all patrols are going to reward the same no matter what, then I'll just wait until someone makes a list of the shortest ones and just run those over and over again.

Argala 2.0, here we come!