test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sector Space Revamp

Comments

• c0nd1t10nr3dc0nd1t10nr3d Member Posts: 638 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    PLEASE check out the new Map first :P

I did and I can't see it on there. The resolution of the map image on the blog isn't the greatest. And besides, Tacofangs said in an earlier post in this thread that they haven't added Axanar. Hence my request. :)
  • link8912link8912 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I only just noticed that all the nebulars in the Delta Quadrant are gone on Tribble, are they coming back?

Also to continue on from my last post one other thing to improve on is the Battle Group Omega by removing the Transwarp Conduits on the map and just be a fleet of ships, maybe also instead of the current map for the Battle Group which is in space instead be inside a ship like the Romulan Flotilla.
    "I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."
    - Jean-Luc Picard
  • patchm142patchm142 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Is there any reason something like DS9 has to be so big in sector space? I mean, right now it completely dwarfs the Bajor system even with the gigantic new star.

Its size relative to the player's ship is actually closer to canon than the actual DS9 space map though, so I guess that sort of works.

Still I feel like it would be better in sector space ... a tiny bit smaller.
  • yakoov5yakoov5 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    crosis2014 wrote: »
    The total game lag makes this irrelevant

The UI lag makes for a bad experience

Your ignoring the player base except for a handful of whiners makes you lackluster developers.

If you worked for me, you would have learned the phrase...do you want to supersize it?.....months ago.

Your cash grabbing f2p game is dying, a new map won't help.

Then may I suggest you take you interesting point of view out of the nearest figurative airlock.

Also, your interesting point of view would mean more to me and others if you had played longer than a single year. Please, if you are going to add critisism, please make it USEFUL critisism.
  • yakoov5yakoov5 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I just want to add my own interesting point of view about this idea.

THIS IS FREAKIN' AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CALL OUT THE FLEETS! BRING THE PARTY POPPERS!!! FRY UP SOME BACON!!!! WE ARE CELEBRATING TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :D:D:cool::cool::
  • xenificationxenification Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    morden613 wrote: »
    No. That's not what they said. Read it again.

They did say system. I'm not just imagining it. I'm not going crazy yet. I know what I saw.
    Here's a screenshot of that too, as absolute proof that I'm right.
    As you can clearly see, the almighty Cryptic screwed up. I do have pretty good eyes, I have four of them in fact.

If you're going to correct me, at least make sure you can prove me wrong.

yes because an obvious typo is completely and totally imposssible and improbable ...

cut them some slack jesus christ. I dont care where it is anyway Ive just always wished it wasnt at the other end of the damned sector.
  • themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    For an idea of new travel times, I just warped from Sol to Qo'nos in 4:30. Im guessing travel time is a bit up. Unfortunately, however, I can't be sure of travel times before, due to all the load screens. So I count this as an improvement. IMHO, better four mins travel time than four mins travel plus four load screens.
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • admirisonadmirison Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    For an idea of new travel times, I just warped from Sol to Qo'nos in 4:30. Im guessing travel time is a bit up. Unfortunately, however, I can't be sure of travel times before, due to all the load screens. So I count this as an improvement. IMHO, better four mins travel time than four mins travel plus four load screens.

Flying around in my starter ship, I definitely had the impression Warp 5 is a bit faster than it used to be. The new scale is awesome -- really does feel epic. In the future, I would love to see additional sectors "stacked" vertically above and below the existing ones...but that's probably a PITA for development purposes and unnecessary content-wise.

Since I don't have a high-level character on Tribble and can't seem to figure out how, or if I can still, port one of my Holodeck toons over, can someone tell me if Alpha Centauri has been added to the game? I think it would be in the Tellar sector, but it might be Deneb sector instead.

And I will also add my voice to those who would like to see Axanar added, if only as a door for Foundry purposes (would probably be in the Deneb or Vulcan sectors, by my reckoning). And I hope AR-558 will be changed to simply be the Chin'toka system, as it was in DS9!
    Author, "Facing the Past" and "Stepping Over the Line" (a duology), "Venus Unveiled", "Worlds of the Federation", and "Alliances and Alignments"
    Member, Shadowbroker
    Not linear
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    patchm142 wrote: »
    Is there any reason something like DS9 has to be so big in sector space? I mean, right now it completely dwarfs the Bajor system even with the gigantic new star.

Its size relative to the player's ship is actually closer to canon than the actual DS9 space map though, so I guess that sort of works.

Still I feel like it would be better in sector space ... a tiny bit smaller.

Previously when this has been brought up, they've said they need to keep the sector space ds9 that size to stop it getting swamped by people parking around it.

And the ds9 space map is that size because people like to fly around the station (must admit, I'm one of those people) in their ships and admire it, which they can't do if it was shrunk down a bit.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • imadoctornotaimadoctornota Member Posts: 469 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Very exciting news! Good job guys :)

First of all, thank you for the tip of the hat to The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (one of the best works of fiction ever written).
    I'm very pleased to see my homeworld (Trill; shout out to all my spotted brethren!), as well as Tellar, Betazed, Breen, Ferenginar, and (especially, however odd it may be) Tzenketh! I'm glad to see some shifting to make things closer to canon, although from the looks of it Vulcan still hasn't been moved, although I'm sure they said how far away it is in Enterprise (I don't remember exactly, but I'm thinking it's somewhere around 14=17 LY from Earth), but maybe it will be moved in the final iteration.
    I hope the Gorn homeworld and Ty'Gokor haven't been forgotten, as these are very important locations. I can't wait to fly around the 'Verse (sorry, couldn't help but throw in my other love of scifi's)! I'm also looking forward to when I can use the wormhole and pop into some Gamma quadrant sectors! :cool: But first things first ;)
    Thanks for the expansion that had "as much content as the last"
    9 Episodes = 30+ episodes...?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It's pronounced "S.T.O." "Stow" sounds idiotic! lol
  • admirisonadmirison Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'm very pleased to see my homeworld (Trill; shout out to all my spotted brethren!), as well as Tellar, Betazed, Breen, Ferenginar, and (especially, however odd it may be) Tzenketh! I'm glad to see some shifting to make things closer to canon, although from the looks of it Vulcan still hasn't been moved, although I'm sure they said how far away it is in Enterprise (I don't remember exactly, but I'm thinking it's somewhere around 14=17 LY from Earth), but maybe it will be moved in the final iteration.

I'd actually rather see the Sol system moved north of the boundary with the Teneebia sector, which wouldn't have much effect on gameplay but would help de-clutter the very very busy Vulcan sector of space. Star Charts puts Earth and Vulcan in separate sectors, anyway.
    Author, "Facing the Past" and "Stepping Over the Line" (a duology), "Venus Unveiled", "Worlds of the Federation", and "Alliances and Alignments"
    Member, Shadowbroker
    Not linear
  • sch3ff3lsch3ff3l Member Posts: 118 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    Will the tribble test be like it was in the last 4 updates?? (testing first with sub and lifers and then only some little time before release open for all for real stress testing)
    im too very happy with this (im actually part of the public who was shouting for this for a very long time) but you know... worries will be worring:rolleyes:
    9gagger, starfleet captain, bug hunter...

spocked thumb face...
  • andrewkurylaandrewkuryla Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    "You can always hit 'M' to view the map, which will also display all of the sectors."

I hope the map will now center on my ship; instead of defaulting to some sector far, far away like it does now.
    "This isn't Azeroth, there shouldn't be magical-forced-dancing spells here." -Me on magical dancing disco balls
  • fltcaptalanfltcaptalan Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    sch3ff3l wrote: »
    Will the tribble test be like it was in the last 4 updates?? (testing first with sub and lifers and then only some little time before release open for all for real stress testing):

I play for free and I currently on the test server (Tribble)
    edited March 2015
    Was wondering about Nimbus myself but according to Memory Alpha :

=> & "Earth Outpost Stations" are "next to" Romulus

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/images/c/c8/Romulan_Neutral_Zone_map.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20080509201010&path-prefix=en

=> probably depends on what Source / Map you're using :P

I get that's what Memory Alpha says, but does it truly make sense that the Klingons would agree to develop a world that far out of their borders?

On the other hand, this could be the reason the planet failed, so...
  • kozar2kozar2 Member Posts: 602 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I have only 2 requests.

1. Test the hell out of this and listen to the players feedback.

2. Don't release it until it is ready. We can wait. We'd rather wait.

I do also have one question.

1. Where is Endor? :P
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I checked it out a little on Tribble server and everything is awesome! :D
  • tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Pls move Nimbus system to Khitomer sector, Cestus somewhere on southeast border of the Federation, Mutara nebula to the south of the Federation, and where are Bassen rift? Axanar as a second capitol of the Federation should be on the map too. They are ST canon planet.
    edited March 2015
    tmassx wrote: »
    Pls move Nimbus system to Khitomer sector, Cestus somewhere on southeast border of the Federation, Mutara nebula to the south of the Federation, and where are Bassen rift? Axanar as a second capitol of the Federation should be on the map too. They are ST canon planet.

I agree with this about Mutara, Cestus, and Nimbus. As for the Bassen Rift, in STO they call it the "Great Bloom" unfortunately the mission that said that was removed with the revamp of the Romulan arc.
  • chopjaichopjai Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Is it too late to add in a display option for old/past neutral zones?
  • whitt4whitt4 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Hey guys,when is this revamp going to happen?my map looks the same as always.
  • archofwinterarchofwinter Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    A suggestion with missions.
    Since the map is now opened up, can we have the ability to automatically plot a course from our mission log?
    Say I'm near K-7 and I have a mission on Earth, from my active mission list, I can just simply press a "plot a course" button and we will fly there automatically. If it is cross quadrant, from DS9 to Romulus, the course will have you fly to quadrant boarder, ask you for confirmation, and when the new quadrant is loaded, your ship will continue its course.

How will low level character travel restriction work?
    If I remember correctly, FED and KDF players can't enter the home sector block until they reach near end-game levels. And for ROM players, they can't exit the sector block of New Romulus until they picked an Alliance side.
    Will these limitation still be around with the new sector map?
    If these limitation remain, may I suggest that you remove even the diplomatic immunity requirement after the player have finished the episode where the war ended to enhance immersion?

While I don't think there are much canon information on the Xindi, where would their system be if you do choose to put them into the map?

Will the transwarp gate to Borg space now be removed since they are now in the Beta Quadrant?

How will civilian traders, freighters, and cargo ship movement be affected by the update?

Just a decorative suggestion, have constellations of stars visible from Earth and near Sol and have them dissipate as player travels farther and farther away.

Also, is Tribble accessible to non-subscribing players?
    I want to try this out but I don't want download a ton of data just to find out I can't access Tribble.
  • achillesdarkachillesdark Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    When is the new map scheduled to go live?
  • baconmaesterbaconmaester Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    How will Cryptic be handling Borders? With the walls coming down there is nothing to prevent players from crossing Faction borders and amassing in areas you traditionally wouldnt see them. Someone on the Fed side could easily stroll right up to Qo'nos and vice versa. The concern here is that while the map is now more immersive. The fleets of Feds outside of Qo'nos or Fleets of Klingons outside of Sol could be considered immersion breaking.

Understandably after playing Surface Tension the player is now at a point in the timeline that is post ceasefire. And apart of the Delta Alliance. The problem is Surface Tension is at the tail end of the storyline. Anyone playing the game for the first time or creating a new character will be a long ways off from the ceasefire declaration. How immersion breaking would it be for a new player being told 'We're at war with the Klingon Faction.' at the beginning of the game only to warp out into Sector Space and run into Klingons just hanging out in the Sirius Sector not 2 lightyears from Earth?

With these walls coming down they also eliminate the need for Diplomatic Immunity and Raiding Party. Which means one less thing for those who stuck with DOffing and leveled up their Diplomacy. It took me quite a while to get up to that point.

Might I suggest that with the walls coming down and the map having more of an open 'space' feel to it. That the Devs consider adding OverPowered NPCs in Sector Space patrolling the borders of their Factions. These NPCs would act like Guards against those who are not 'friendly' with said Faction. Anyone crossing over into Klingon Space that was not Klingon Aligned would be chased down by these Ships and attacked. The player would have the option to Warp out of the interaction but they would be placed back on their side of the Border. Same for Klingons coming into Fed Space (of course giving them leeway in regards to accessing the Alpha Quadrant since the border is only accessable from the Federation side of things.)

This would mean Diplomatic Immunity and Raiding Party would still have a function in allowling a Player to cross that line.
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    How will low level character travel restriction work?
    If I remember correctly, FED and KDF players can't enter the home sector block until they reach near end-game levels. And for ROM players, they can't exit the sector block of New Romulus until they picked an Alliance side.
    Will these limitation still be around with the new sector map?
    If these limitation remain, may I suggest that you remove even the diplomatic immunity requirement after the player have finished the episode where the war ended to enhance immersion?

I was testing with a Fed character who doesn't have tier 4 diplomacy, nor has he started any of the DR missions yet, and I was able to fly right up to Qo'nos. My guess would be that the Beta quadrant may be open to all levels now and then the Alpha and Delta quadrants will be locked out until you hit an appropriate level. Though they may just open up the Alpha quadrant to anybody too.
    Will the transwarp gate to Borg space now be removed since they are now in the Beta Quadrant?

Yeah it's gone. There is a transwarp gate still up in the Borg sector but it's only used as an entry point to the fleet there, it doesn't let you travel back to Risa sector.
    Also, is Tribble accessible to non-subscribing players?
    I want to try this out but I don't want download a ton of data just to find out I can't access Tribble.

I saw somebody else mention they were F2P and using Tribble just now. Though personally I haven't been able to copy any new characters over but luckily I already had some on there to test with.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Huh, I wish that the transwarp gate near Risa was still there; I mean there isn't really an in-universe reason for it to be gone or for it to not still function the same.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • shocknuttzshocknuttz Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Thanks for the response TF, but I don't mean the number of planets causing issues, or even the size of the new maps. Player cap is the issue that I'm concerned about. I'm worried that if the number of players on one of these huge new maps is too high it will cause problems with lag for a lot of people. Conversely, if the instance player caps are too low then it will quite literally be a ghost town where you won't see a soul.
    I'd just like to know what the mitigation strategy is when it comes to this issue, as I'm sure a few others would :)

I'm pretty sure you will still have the option to manually change intances. So if any of what you just mentioned is going on then just simply move to a less / more populated instance.
  • beerxhyperbeerxhyper Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    hey taco where is Cait the caitian homeworld located and is it or well you add it into the game?

• szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    whitt4 wrote: »
    Hey guys,when is this revamp going to happen?my map looks the same as always.

It is live on Tribble already and part of upcoming season 10. I guess it will take some more weeks till it goes live on Holodeck together with rest of season 10.
  • nithanathnithanath Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    my first concern is that I hope this does not break existing Borg/Tholian Red Alerts and accolades associated with them. Also does this impact any of the deep space encounters and associated accolades?

Keeping my fingers crossed that this revamp does not break anything...

Rest assured that the amount of bugs and unforseen effects caused by this change will be hilarious :-)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]