test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Did the plasma doping nerf actually affect builds with plasma weapons?

azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
I fly an MVAE with a focus on plasma cannons and grav well... sort of a modified NWS design.

I've been using the embassy science consoles on this ship since they were released. The plasma and partigen boosts are perfect for my build. But what I'm wondering is if I was unwittingly getting some benefit from 'plasma doping'. I'm no wiz with the math on consoles, but I have two of them equipped and suddenly it feels like my ship has lost some edge, and I'm wondering if the recent nerf actually affects plasma builds substantially. Was I unwittingly plasma doping? Because what I've read seems to suggest that plasma doping affects non-plasma weapons only.

Any explanation would be appreciated. I'm not sure where else I'm suddenly losing the edge otherwise.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The consoles no longer increase plasma weapon damage (only exotic based plasma damage).

Or wont, eventually. Or something.

Wasn't there an issue with plasma weapons and the console proc?
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Take that one...

Good news, Science-wizards!

We figured out a way to keep the +Plasma Damage affecting Exotic Damage abilities (such as Eject Warp Plasma and Plasma Shockwave) without also spilling those benefits into unintended areas.

Player-facing, this will just look as though this Tooltip:

+8.4% Plasma Damage

... becomes this Tooltip:

+8.4% Plasma-based Exotic Damage

Hope that addresses some of the recent round of concerns.

I guess only good news for "Science wizards" then eh?

By tending to plasma dopers they simply changed the functionality of those consoles for none plasma dopers as well…
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    So they're removing the intended and stated reason for the console's existence since it's inception? I mean... If the new upgrade system scales one proc too much, fine, deal with that; but this console has been around for over a year. It's always been advertised as a plasma booster. That's the primary purpose of the console! It has been since the start.

...and the tool tip still says the console boosts plasma damage. So not only did they totally change the fundamental function of the console on everyone who already paid for it, they didn't bother to change the false advertising. People could unwittingly be buying this console today, expecting the plasma boost they're promised.
    edited February 2015
    Think they have even been around since season 7 in that fashion so over two years. :o
    animated.gif
    edited February 2015
    Well, they've ruined a build that I've been working on for over 2 years then. Great. I can't say I'm less than livid right now.

You know, rather than robbing us of this thing that we've been counting on for TWO FREAKIN YEARS, they could have just released variants of this console that boost the other energy types instead.

But no, just wreck people's builds. That's easier, eh?

Not sure why I bother.
  • historynerd1historynerd1 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Flow is still good for plasmonic leech, but still, kinda a waste of a console spot now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Go and have a wee, the second act gets considerably weirder." -Tim Minchin
    edited February 2015
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    It took you TWO years to get a build together?!?

That aside, variant consoles would not have fixed the problem. The consoles had a problem when scaled beyond mk XII and epic along with stacking issues. They probably should have dealt with it by making the consoles plasma proc not increase with mark in all honesty over what they did now. But yeah...it was something that really did need to be fixed.

More like four years actually. I've just been focusing on the plasma build with Embassy consoles for the past two. I don't fly other ships. I don't make changes lightly. I stick with my plan, and I find ways to make things work. It's always evolving, slowly and methodically.

It was a nice ship I had once. Back to the drawing board I guess.

Can't help but feel quite used up by this game right now though.
    edited February 2015
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    It took you TWO years to get a build together?!?

How long does it take you to put a build togehter and what does it matter?
    animated.gif
  • melineaaelemelineaaele Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    azniadeet wrote: »
    More like four years actually. I've just been focusing on the plasma build with Embassy consoles for the past two. I don't fly other ships. I don't make changes lightly. I stick with my plan, and I find ways to make things work. It's always evolving, slowly and methodically.

Right.. Now it will "only" be on par with ships using any *other* energytype.. /sigh
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I've always been ambivalent about the Plasma Boosting Embassy Consoles. I purchased them and then Upgraded them to match the rest of my ship's gear. But whenever I replace them on my build with plain old Flow Capacitors, my plasma weapons seem to perform better. I don't use the Combat Log reader, so I have no hard evidence on this. It certainly appears my target dies faster without them than when I use them, however.

The Threat Reduction feature was the primary reason I purchased them anyways.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The issue with Plasma doping wasn't the standard embassy consoles it was upgrading the rarity where Gold MK XiV was allowing an insane amount of damage to be done with the embassay plasma proc. Mk x/xi/xii standard don't boost by that much.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Four years ago LoR wasn't even announced, so these consoles did not exist. IIRC four years ago today would have been around the beginning of an almost year long period of pretty much nothing new being released, because the devs were developing the F2P model.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    So they're removing the intended and stated reason for the console's existence since it's inception? I mean... If the new upgrade system scales one proc too much, fine, deal with that; but this console has been around for over a year. It's always been advertised as a plasma booster. That's the primary purpose of the console! It has been since the start.

I'm in total agreement with this! And no, I never plasma-doped (for one, simply because I haven't gotten to upgrading anything plasma yet). But yes, to change the core functionality of the console, I kinda frown upon that. I have several of those consoles (still at purple Mk XII) on a Vesta build. They were there for the purpose of boosting plasma dmg. So, basically I can't use em for that any more.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Before folks freak out TOO much, I strongly suggest we wait. Who knows how long those changes will take to come out, and on top of that...

... I highly suspect that (based on the phrasing), the console still adds a damage proc for weapons, but they found a way to ADD it to science skills as well. I could be wrong, but it seems to me they were unable to add the effect to exotic powers without it doing unwanted side effects (i.e. being OP again), and then they found a way to add this future proc to exotics as well.

That's how I'm reading it. It's not excluding weapons, but including exotics on top of weapons.

I hope I'm right.
  • variant37variant37 Member Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Before folks freak out TOO much, I strongly suggest we wait. Who knows how long those changes will take to come out, and on top of that...

... I highly suspect that (based on the phrasing), the console still adds a damage proc for weapons, but they found a way to ADD it to science skills as well. I could be wrong, but it seems to me they were unable to add the effect to exotic powers without it doing unwanted side effects (i.e. being OP again), and then they found a way to add this future proc to exotics as well.

That's how I'm reading it. It's not excluding weapons, but including exotics on top of weapons.

I hope I'm right.

I unfortunately don't think that you are, based on these comments from borticus:

Originally Posted by borticuscryptic
    Quote:

It's not inaccurate. This is exactly what's being changed.

Here, let me summarize (and hopefully clarify) the full scope of the changes we're planning to make:

- The Plasma DOT has been replaced with a Plasma Explosion that deals all of its damage in a single hit, instead of spread out over a 15sec DOT effect
    - The damage dealt by this Plasma Explosion is equivalent to 4x the previous damage of the DOT
    - The damage dealt by these Consoles can no longer be increased by Consoles or most other Passive effects. (Temporary buffs such as Attack Pattern Alpha will still improve the Plasma Explosion damage)
    - The Plasma Explosion can be triggered by all energy types, instead of only working with non-Plasma weapons.
    - The +Plasma Damage bonus gained from these consoles now only affects Exotic Damage abilities (e.g., Eject Warp Plasma, or Plasma Shockwave)
  • rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    And based on the phasing, I think that's just poor wording. I think they're adding a plasma BURN (like we had until recently) to exotics but a simple plasma damage dealt to weapons.

See the line right above the one you bolded:

"The Plasma Explosion can be triggered by all energy types, instead of only working with non-Plasma weapons."

There was a problem where the previous console iteration where it reacted differently with plasma weapons than with every other weapon. If it no longer applied any damage proc to weapons, why would they feel to need to make note that it now reacts to plasma weapons the same as all other weapons?

I think/hope it will still apply to weapons, just react differently to exotics as well.
  • variant37variant37 Member Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I think/hope it will still apply to weapons, just react differently to exotics as well.

I hope you're right and that borticus just wasn't clear enough. I have 2 of these consoles on my plasma-based D'Deridex and I'll have to re-think whether it makes sense to keep them slotted if the damage boost for my beam arrays is taken out.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    [Pla] currently does two things...

+Plasma Damage to all Plasma Damage, Exotic and Weapon
    +Chance Plasma Damage-Over-Time Attack

Bort's posts were pretty clear that [Pla] will be two things...

+Plasma Damage to Exotic Plasma
    +Chance Plasma Direct Damage Attack

edit: There are some other subtleties there, as far as what affects the DoT and what will affect the DD...cause that's changing too.
  • amoroxicamoroxic Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    You know, rather than robbing us of this thing that we've been counting on for TWO FREAKIN YEARS, they could have just released variants of this console that boost the other energy types instead.

Not sure why I bother.

Make that FIVE years...

Then replace the said consoles with ALL T5 C-Store and Fleet ships and Fleet gear and all they released in those FIVE years...

Then you see why so many people are disgruntled with the latest "visionary revamps and upgrades"... So your not alone in this, however, you REALLY can't do much about it, is their game and they can do whatever TRIBBLE they want with it... aka NO warranties!
    29. Disclaimer of Warranties
    29.1YOU EXPRESSLY UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT:

(a) THE SERVICE, THE GAMES, THE WEBSITE AND ALL MATERIALS CONTAINED THEREIN ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. PWE AND ITS SUBSIDIARIES, AFFILIATES, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, PARTNERS AND LICENSORS DISCLAIM ALL OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, PERFORMANCE OR SUITABILITY FOR YOUR INTENDED USE, TITLE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT AS TO THE SERVICE, THE GAME AND THE WEBSITE, INCLUDING ALL INFORMATION, CONTENT AND MATERIALS CONTAINED THEREIN. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, PWE DOES NOT REPRESENT OR WARRANT THAT THE SERVICE, THE GAMES, THE WEBSITE OR THE MATERIALS CONTAINED THEREIN ARE ACCURATE, COMPLETE, RELIABLE, AVAILABLE, CURRENT OR ERROR-FREE. PWE ALSO DOES NOT REPRESENT OR WARRANT THAT THE GAMES, THE WEBSITE OR ITS SERVERS ARE FREE OF VIRUSES, BUGS, ERRORS OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS OR DEFECTS, TRANSMIT DATA IN A SECURE MANNER, OR FUNCTION PROPERLY WITH THE SERVICE.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/about/terms
    edited February 2015
    amoroxic wrote: »
    Make that FIVE years...

Then replace the said consoles with ALL T5 C-Store and Fleet ships and Fleet gear and all they released in those FIVE years...

Then you see why so many people are disgruntled with the latest "visionary revamps and upgrades"... So your not alone in this, however, you REALLY can't do much about it, is their game and they can do whatever TRIBBLE they want with it... aka NO warranties!

http://www.arcgames.com/en/about/terms

As I said earlier, how exactly have you been counting on a console for five years when it didn't EXIST five years ago?

Five years ago the game had just launched, all Romulans were evil, and fleet starbases (including the embassy) did not exist.

I know, I was there. My favorite bug from that era was beaming down to a planet and materializing as my starship, only human sized and unable to move.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • amoroxicamoroxic Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    As I said earlier, how exactly have you been counting on a console for five years when it didn't EXIST five years ago?

Five years ago the game had just launched, all Romulans were evil, and fleet starbases (including the embassy) did not exist.

I know, I was there. My favorite bug from that era was beaming down to a planet and materializing as my starship, only human sized and unable to move.

It was a simple analogy between the consoles said lifetime and total game lifetime... and the similar state of both today!
    edited February 2015

Re read and comprehend. Nobody ever claimed they've used the console for more than 2 years.
    edited February 2015
    Re read and comprehend. Nobody ever claimed they've used the console for more than 2 years.

I did comprehend, he quoted someone who said they had counted on the console for two years, and said make that five. If he meant anything else by that statement, then further English lessons are in order.

Now, if he was trying to complain about mk xiv and tier 6, first of all that has absolutely nothing to do with changing a broken console. ALL mmos introduce better gear when they increase the level cap. Within 10 minutes your purples are replaced with greens. It's been a mistake since beta that ships are considered gear, but nothing can be done about that now.

The only problem thay exists with the new gear is that it can't be obtained outside of the upgrade system. That, unfortunately, is partly because of the f2p model, and if they introduce another way to get the gear it will still involve dilithium.
    eaY7Xxu.png
    edited February 2015
    I did comprehend, he quoted someone who said they had counted on the console for two years, and said make that five. If he meant anything else by that statement, then further English lessons are in order.

Now, if he was trying to complain about mk xiv and tier 6, first of all that has absolutely nothing to do with changing a broken console. ALL mmos introduce better gear when they increase the level cap. Within 10 minutes your purples are replaced with greens. It's been a mistake since beta that ships are considered gear, but nothing can be done about that now.

The only problem thay exists with the new gear is that it can't be obtained outside of the upgrade system. That, unfortunately, is partly because of the f2p model, and if they introduce another way to get the gear it will still involve dilithium.

Sorry, I was ascribing something to you that someone else said earlier in the thread.

As for accepting changes, I'm okay rolling back something new. What upsets me is two years of evolution being hamfistedly rolled back with a key feature of the build rendered useless LONG after it's become an accepted tactic.
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Sorry, I was ascribing something to you that someone else said earlier in the thread.

As for accepting changes, I'm okay rolling back something new. What upsets me is two years of evolution being hamfistedly rolled back with a key feature of the build rendered useless LONG after it's become an accepted tactic.

The "normal person" test on plasma doping would likely have determined it to be an unintended effect.

If the fires stayed inline with the boost it gave to actual plasma weapons that'd be a different story.

Generally, if it's too good to be true, it is. Abuse it while you can but understand you are abusing it.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    edited February 2015
    The "normal person" test on plasma doping would likely have determined it to be an unintended effect.

If the fires stayed inline with the boost it gave to actual plasma weapons that'd be a different story.

Generally, if it's too good to be true, it is. Abuse it while you can but understand you are abusing it.

I wasn't plasma doping. I was using the item for is intended bonus to conventional plasma weapons.

A normal person would assume that a console with the started primary affect of buffing plasma damage would be used to do just that.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2015
    Well, they've ruined a build that I've been working on for over 2 years then. Great. I can't say I'm less than livid right now.

Not sure why I bother.

Even if they had released other variants, the double dipping damage nature of the plasma ones was the main problem.
  • karlbarbkarlbarb Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Are you certain that the +plasma being only attached to plasma based exotic damage abilities was actually implemented? The other parts are in the release notes, but that one isn't.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    karlbarb wrote: »
    Are you certain that the +plasma being only attached to plasma based exotic damage abilities was actually implemented? The other parts are in the release notes, but that one isn't.

There is the what came and there is the what is coming...there's the discussion in the following thread: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1382691 :where the additional changes coming are mentioned later in the thread.
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I wasn't plasma doping. I was using the item for is intended bonus to conventional plasma weapons.

A normal person would assume that a console with the started primary affect of buffing plasma damage would be used to do just that.

That's what I was using it for as well, I've been running plasma for a while now and this nerf because of the beam consoles is really craptacular. The consoles will be pretty much useless after they are done with their balance pass. Bleh
    Tza0PEl.png