test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

EU suffer again to shard maintenance

dataroiddataroid Member Posts: 5 Arc User
Why do EU players always have to lose most of their evening play time due to maintenance this is every Thursday and when there is a problem and service doesn't come back we lose the whole day so those of us who are either monthly subscribers or lifetime membership are losing nearly 2 weeks a year just through maintenance this cant be fair on us we pay just like all the other nations
Post edited by dataroid on

Comments

• captainmal3captainmal3 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    'murica is the only country that matters, obviously.
  • riccardo171riccardo171 Member Posts: 1,802 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    lol, I'm european and I don't see the problem in having a single game down for the afternoon. I can always do different stuff. In America they lose the morning.
  • jjdezjjdez Member Posts: 570 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    How many years has this been happening now? Search for a post before making its zillionth copy.

Or better yet, perhaps you could offer to pay cryptic's employees the overtime required for them to come in during the middle of the night, you know, when it's convenient for you. The irony of you wanting equality and understanding for your circumstances while simultaneously ignoring that of others...fantastic!
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    'Cuz I believe the servers are located in in Boston, MA... and the normal workday starts at 9am EST????

It could be worse though... if the servers were located in California instead, maintenance would not start until 9am PST, 12pm EST, 5pm GMT.
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    A. pay a group of first shift employees overtime to skip a night of sleep and work third shift twice a month (assuming alternating between US and EU timeslots)
    B. stick to a published and consistent schedule which customers have access to

One of these two plans costs more, carries substantially increased risk of errors, and requires asking employees to pretty please not file labor disputes because it's not actually something the company can legally require of them. Which one do you suppose it is?
  • shadoreshadore Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    jjdez wrote: »
    How many years has this been happening now? Search for a post before making its zillionth copy.

Yeah but the last such post was a week ago. Maybe he doesn't want to delve into necromancy.

To the op, anyone who's here to read your post right now is in the same boat, regardless of continent.
  • ssargonssargon Member Posts: 347 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It inconveniences everyone in different ways. I get alternating Thursday evening shifts and maintenance in the morning means no STO before work today and, due to when I get off, after work either. To the same end, European people who work the evening Thursdays anyway only lose out on patch time when they play the next day, and still have the morning. Surely STO isn't the only thing you do all day?
  • nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    They have to patch at sometime, damned if they do, damned if they dont but I'll just leave this out there......its five o'clock somewhere.. :D
    server_hamster6.png
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It doesn't matter if your US, AUstralian, Japanese, Ukrainian, German, South African or Bolivian - if your time zone consists the least amount of people, you will likely have any maintenances scheduled in a time frame that affects you most.

There is nothing evil, sinister, racist or whatever about it - it's simply a question of who suffers the lowest impact. If they change times, that automatically means that eve more people are affected by maintanance on average than now. That is always the worse option.

In short - take it for the team.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    o___O

:eek::eek::eek:
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I just get to play GW2 for longer, no drawbacks there!
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• drake122svkdrake122svk Member Posts: 731 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Obviously, it's because Craptic resides in America. What do you expect them to get up in the middle of the night to do maintenance just for random people on the other side of the world to be able to play?

And for those who complain that threads like this one exist... well, imagine if it was the other way around and they did maintenance in the US prime time. The forums would explode in rage if the McDonalds fed american kids couldn't play for one afternoon.
  • vkoynovvkoynov Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Obviously, it's because Craptic resides in America. What do you expect them to get up in the middle of the night to do maintenance just for random people on the other side of the world to be able to play?

And for those who complain that threads like this one exist... well, imagine if it was the other way around and they did maintenance in the US prime time. The forums would explode in rage if the McDonalds fed american kids couldn't play for one afternoon.

Well europeans are not some random people, they are almost half of the playerbase, and this maintance hit our primetime. If they could make it throght the night on west coast, morning east coast and afternoon in Europe would be perfect. I don't think it will cost them too much:rolleyes:
  • shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    My view, from a UK timezone, is like this:-

Maintenance has to be done, which means there has to be some downtime.

Maintenance will get done in normal working hours where the servers are, because anything else would be excessively inconvenient and expensive.

Losing an afternoon/early evening a week won't kill me. I can always, y'know, do something else for a while.

It's a necessary evil. And not all that much of an evil, at that.
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited February 2015

My simple response regardless of who is affected by maintenance downtime for any MMO game around the world and regardless of where the servers are located the world is to either deal with it or just leave and move on to a different MMO game who's maintenance schedule is less of an issue.

Everyone gets affected by maintenance downtime. Some more than others depending on time zones. Without maintenance there would be no updates, patches, fixes, whatever... Worse case scenario the servers goes down... permanently, and in that case everyone is affected equally.
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Not that difficult to understand. They always start patching first thing in the morning.. their morning. So should there be any problems that require them to extend maintenance they don't have to work during the night which would be rather costly for the company.
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    This thread has been closed as it brings up an issue from or violates the Frequently Created Threads sticky.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

This discussion has been closed.