test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Todays patch a big one. 6 Hours.

stuart1965stuart1965 Member Posts: 691 Arc User
This is the biggest patch i have seen in a long time, and it looks like cryptic are addressing alot of things too. 6 Hours for this patch, although i have a feeling its going to be extended after that.
I hope im wrong, but we shall see.
Hopefully a dev will see this, cryptic please don't rush it. It would be great if its checked and cleared of bugs before the game starts up.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• superfoxyplushsuperfoxyplush Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    You have to love the choice of time though, 2pm till 8pm GMT. There goes the afternoon, oh and I don't expect it up at that time either :P

My main concern is the lack of fixes for the Boffs disappearing, it's been going on since LoR but steadily getting worse since DR. I even do a multi-part missions and beaming from space > to ground > to space wipes them :(

I'm happy for the fixes but I do have to ask, what is taking 6hrs to bring the servers down, patch, bring them up and test ? ( I know it's not like that but 'other' MMO's can bring out expansions in less of a downtime. )

They've also not fixed Caitian / Ferasan tails going missing with the Delta set too !
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I hadn't noticed the longer length of time, so thanks for pointing it out.
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    6 hours is that with or without the time extensions :confused:
  • decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Maybe they are covering themselves this time. If it goes bellies up and they have to extend atleast they can make it look like less time than the last one. If it goes smoothly and they can get up and running earlier it makes them look good.
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    decronia wrote: »
    Maybe they are covering themselves this time. If it goes bellies up and they have to extend atleast they can make it look like less time than the last one. If it goes smoothly and they can get up and running earlier it makes them look good.

Perhaps but this is cryptic so 6 hours optimistcaly but probably wind up being 8
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The longer maintenance time is due to work being done on the account server, probably because of what happened last week.

And once again, we had to learn this news from the folks over at Neverwinter. :rolleyes:
  • keravnioskeravnios Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Congrats to cryptic for finally listening to the community *I hope u did* and started fixing bugs.

Less useless fixes like damn costumes and more UI/ Powers/ NPC/ STF fixes here on :)
  • rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Oh come on!

I am NOT being a White Knight here, but for heaven’s sake - the forums are awash with moaning when a 2.5/3hr patch is extended. So they post a more realistic downtime ESTIMATE (some people should perhaps look this word up in a dictionary) and people are STILL not happy?!

It's a pretty huge patch; the E S T I M A T E D downtime reflects this. Give them a break for once!
    :rolleyes:

Well, these are the STO forums, populated mostly by people who came here to complain, moan, rant, and complain more. Then there are the trolls. And then there are the fun posters. And the people who type too much rational stuff (<-me). And the rest. But what did you expect? Even if every last bug in this game would be fixed, youll have people coming here "couldnt you have fixed this faster?"
  • philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
    edited February 2015
    rahmkota19 wrote: »
    Well, these are the STO forums, populated mostly by people who came here to complain, moan, rant, and complain more. Then there are the trolls. And then there are the fun posters. And the people who type too much rational stuff (<-me). And the rest. But what did you expect? Even if every last bug in this game would be fixed, youll have people coming here "couldnt you have fixed this faster?"

Reminds me of a comment from a fellow player (a 12-year-old): "I've seen 20-year-old players acting like 10-year-olds." She was not amused, and I (a 47-year-old) could only sigh and say, "I'm not surprised."
  • chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    keravnios wrote: »
    Less useless fixes like damn costumes and more UI/ Powers/ NPC/ STF fixes here on :)

I'm sure they had to wait a bit until some play data came in before playing with any of the new UI elements or powers. Most players are probably only just getting their hands on the Command abilities, so there probably wasn't enough live data to make reasoned adjustments until now. Glad they're taking the time to balance things, though.

As for costume issues... if they didn't put in the effort to fix those, they'd be getting flak for it. Fairly often the costume issues are from paid C-Store content, either initial issues with new items, or old items no longer working over time. So if there were no fixes incoming they'd be getting big flak for leaving pay-once content to rot - which thankfully, they're not :D
  • captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    They can take it off line for 16 hours as far as im concerned as long as they get rid of that laggggggg.
  • darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Oh come on!

I am NOT being a White Knight here, but for heaven’s sake - the forums are awash with moaning when a 2.5/3hr patch is extended. So they post a more realistic downtime ESTIMATE (some people should perhaps look this word up in a dictionary) and people are STILL not happy?!

It's a pretty huge patch; the E S T I M A T E D downtime reflects this. Give them a break for once!

I'm guessing they're estimating so long due to the vast number of changes.

I'm also predicting it will go waaaaay over. Why? Because they have a proven track record of making it go over. They have gone so long over estimated time for so long that if they get it right today then their history will make it seem more like an anomaly. Only after a proven track record of them getting it right will stop me from expecting massive extensions in downtime.
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Rumor has it they're making a lot of hardware upgrades in preparation for the March 31st launch of Neverwinter on XBox. It's all run out of the same datacenter, so a lot of the networking hardware, etc. is shared between the games.
  • cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,524 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Still nothing to address BO stations from dumping their assignments when changing maps. :(
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    They did add a new source for BNPs and ancient power cells. And regular missions now reward dilithium.
  • atlantraatlantra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    keravnios wrote: »
    Congrats to cryptic for finally listening to the community *I hope u did* and started fixing bugs.

IKR. I think I felt my wallet open a little...

*winks at cryptic*

Keep up the good work! The wallet strike might come to an end. It's been 381 days.
    The dress is gold and white. Over 70% people says so. When viewed from a certain screen angle it appears blue and black. The dress displayed on amazon is a blue and black dress, but it's not the same dress in the picture. If you're seeing blue & black you're slightly colored blind. A normal upright screen = white and gold.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • n00b1001n00b1001 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I wouldn't have any hopes for this game yet. While Neverwinter is the shining game of this company, STO is ... not so much. More like the bug infested black sheep of the family and nobody cares.
  • czertik123czertik123 Member Posts: 1,122 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    you are optimistic, 9 hours total , and they will have 2 crashhsnes in meantime.
  • stuart1965stuart1965 Member Posts: 691 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Not seen any info as yet to the size of this patch.
    A rough guess would be about 4 or 5 GB, going by whats in the release notes.
    Lets hope it turns out ok without any extentions.
    Well a guy can hope.
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Meh...

It is what it is. It should not affect most people who work for a living from 9am to 5pm+ in the US. For those who do play a bit before heading out to work, like to queue up Doff missions, it is not that big of a deal.

Of course it kinda sucks for people in Europe due to time zone. For example, in the UK the servers will not be back up until 8pm GMT assuming maintenance does not extend beyond 6 hours.

For other people who do not work, or do not have class during maintenance, yeah well... it kinda sucks.
  • stuart1965stuart1965 Member Posts: 691 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Now this is getting confusing. I just checked the patching which has started, and its only 943 MB.
    How weird is that, considering its a 6 hour patch?
    My earlier guess seems to be way off. oh well it was just a guess.
  • tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Oh come on!

Mate, they could stick a ZERO after that 6 and it still wouldn't be enough to fix whats happened to the game, bugs or no bugs.

Just saying. ;)
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Well, considering they nerfed Argala and Delta Patrols in general, and added rewards to many other places, it seems they don't need us to be in the Delta Quadrant anymore.

Which could mean that something new is being released that doesn't need huge XP boosts to get people playing it. Perhaps a new episode or some other new content?

If it doesn't come today, then maybe next week. There's a fair chance that we'll see some new interesting stuff soon.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    stuart1965 wrote: »
    This is the biggest patch i have seen in a long time, and it looks like cryptic are addressing alot of things too. 6 Hours for this patch, although i have a feeling its going to be extended after that.
    I hope im wrong, but we shall see.
    Hopefully a dev will see this, cryptic please don't rush it. It would be great if its checked and cleared of bugs before the game starts up.

Gotta do the taxes anyway this evening so didn't expect to get any playtime in anyway. I do hope they extended the "server" (server farm) capacity while they were on the job.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.