test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Should we Reset the DPS League and Channels?

sarcasmdetectorsarcasmdetector Member Posts: 1,176 Media Corps
Reset of the DPS League

With the upcoming nerfs to Enhanced Armor Pen (Delat T2 trait) and Embassy Console Plasma Burn; we the admins of the DPS channels and League are now faced with a conundrum.

These two nerfs are going to impact everyone's DPS, some a lot more than others. We're going to have a situation where most of the people in 75K channel will no longer be able to reach those numbers. Probably half the people in 50k and 30k will have to be moved down 1 channel.

It will still be possible to parse over 30k and 50k, there just won't be an easy way to do so.

So in light of this the admins are discussing a couple of ways to deal with the situation, but we currently can't come to an agreement.

The majority of the admins want to clear the DPS league of any parses over 30k DPS, then give people 2 weeks to requalify and re-upload a new parse without Armor Pen and Plasma Burn. After 2 weeks we'll go through and compair the League table to the channel populations and remove players from 50k and 30k.

This to us, is the most fair thing to do for everyone in the channels; and maintains the integrity of the DPS league and channels. Additionally this would be the easiest solution to implement.

A few admins want to maintain the League as it is now, and kick people out of the channels on a case by case basis. A group of the high end DPSers will still be able to get very large numbers in record runs with a highly specialized team. They also expect more powercreep down the line that will counter balance the two nerfs to EAP and Plasma Burn.

This requires even less work initially, but requires a lot of micromanagement in the long run, and a lot of channel runs being filled by people who cannot meet the channels requirements. It should also be noted that there is no known powercreep on the horizon, and the first real chance for any significant powercreep to be introduced would be Season 10, which is likely a May or June release.

Since we the admins cannot come to a consensus on this matter, i've decided to take this public to get the opinion of both people from the DPS channels and from players who aren't part of the channels.

Please let us know what you think and/or if you have any suggestions.

* Please note: this is not a discussion about if something was overpowered or not. We don't care if you hate plasma burn and/or armor pen or not. keep your rants to yourself or to other threads/discussions.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• shandypandyshandypandy Member Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited February 2015
  • rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Honestly... only the top echelon were benefitting from this nearly as much as it was cried about. Maybe reset everything above 20k? A full wipe, though? People at 12k weren't benefitting from it much.
  • earwigvr6earwigvr6 Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    If it was to be done correctly IMO, why not just go for a total blanket wipe of everything ? And start over fresh ?

Maybe even put the 20k channel back up ? If it was just plasma doping then all is good, but combined with the PEN issue to, many people might not even have made 30k channel if it were not for that. Maybe they were not doping, but got a huge advantage due to the PEN issue.

My record of just under 78K means I will likely drop quite a huge amount. Didn't invest in doping to much, only 3 Beam consoles and 2 Embassy. I am under no illusions about how far I will likely drop.

I also have 0 issues with that either.

But...

To be fair, like I said, blanket wipe of everything and fully start over :D

Let me guess.... The ones that are against the wipe are the ones at the very top ? :eek:
  • ashtarprimeashtarprime Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    That second option sounds like a *lot* of work to be effective, particularly if you don't implement real (i.e. every single run) hard caps for 50k and 30k.

First option sounds good (not a member of 50k, so whatevs).
  • john98837john98837 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Honestly... only the top echelon were benefitting from this nearly as much as it was cried about. Maybe reset everything above 20k? A full wipe, though? People at 12k weren't benefitting from it much.

Those of us in favor of a reset would only reset the 30k channel and above. It will not effect the 10k channel nor be a complete league reset.
  • sarcasmdetectorsarcasmdetector Member Posts: 1,176 Media Corps
    edited February 2015

Actually the biggest buff was to the lower/middle tiers. people who could barely do 10-15k where suddenly in 30k, people who where scraping 30k where suddenly in 50k, etc..

Those of us in the upper echelons again are not going to be as affected as others. We got there without EAP or Plasma Burn.
  • rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Hrm... well it is an interesting topic. Count me as "reset."

For whatever that's worth. I'm not even on 10K anymore.
  • lebtronlebtron Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I fully support a reset. The leagues numbers where reached under gameplay rules which will undergo a drastic change next patch. It wouldnt be fair to those who reach that numbers after that day. Additional I would have doubts about every entry in that list, they wouldnt be comparable anymore.

It will be hard work for me to rejoin the 50k channel, even more under the current rubberbanding situation. But thats life:)
  • synthiasuicidesynthiasuicide Member Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The game can change season to season and I don't get the problem with simply doing a full wipe everytime, same for whenever something major changes in game. If one feels the need and can reach a top channel, they can do it again.

In the last 3 days, I've been seriously testing the Command BC's, and at least 3 times a day I saw the line "WAHOO, I made it to 75k!. Or "wow, I made 50k", etc.

And then I'd go look at my Parser and that guy always got at least 25k on Burn. And people in that High channel that got there without, and can do so again. Would rather team up with the same, And not have that guy that Burned his way into it.

If a 75k player wants a 30-50k player in his run he can ask for it in those channels. I hit 50k, but didn't upload it because I don't want to be in a channel I don't belong to when Doping went away.

My 2 cents.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ussprometheus79ussprometheus79 Member Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    If the fixes are going impact as much as expected, then a wipe is probably the best option.

30k is such an easy number to hit, it's a good starting point. I'd archive the league before a wipe and have it available for people to look at online if they wanted.
    If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.
  • tynnahtynnah Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Just do a reset, I'd say. Its not like its impossible to get into the upper channels without doping and EAP.
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The few logs I have of me going above 50k, I'd still qualify for 50k without Plasma Burn.

However, I have no idea what EAP would do, and didn't even know it was bugged until the recent conversations about it being removed.

I'd like to not be tossed out of 10k, but it'll be easy enough to re-qualify for 30k, and maybe for 50k.

It'd certainly bug me if my record on file was questionable.
  • sf911sf911 Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    As a 10K and 30K channel member, I'd say reset.

These nerfs change the playing field significantly and old numbers may no longer be representative.
  • generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited February 2015
    Like many have said.... do a complete wipe off all channels, including 10k... and just leave dps-public, after all nerfs are never gonna stop and they will continue to come.. so maybe, a wipe every 2 seasons or every year should be better... just imo
  • baelogventurebaelogventure Member Posts: 1,002 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    How about you delete 10k and bring back 20k, or just have 30k the new entry from DPS Public?

10k is about as bad as pugging with everyone not listening to directions, ignoring standard stuff like Wait For Pets, and Go when I say Go, not earlier.
  • supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Maybe do a wipe off from 30k upwards.

I think DPS 10K needs stricter moderating as its turning in Zone chat more than STF's runs, maybe retest that channel and move the bar to 15k stepping everyone up to 15k then once a good amount of people have moved to 15k merge 10k with dps public. Still some good players there but moderation is needed to cut out the unness banter.

Removing 10k altogether i am not for as with the changes that came with Delta Rising the recent Tachyon Beam changes joining public queues for a pug is a no go. Long gone are the days when a 10-20k build could carry a team whose highest dps after your's was 2k through a infected or Ksa run

I do just think DPS 10k needs moderation like Elite STF used to have before the channel owner stepped away and that channel went seriously downhill.
  • vawlkusvawlkus Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    As I haven't cared enough to join any channel, I'll give you an outsiders perspective: given the changes, I'd say do a full wipe. Those that want to rejoin a given channel will do so.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Hrmm, 3/6 month cycles would put S10 out a bit, along with the next box...with S10.5 (as well as the next box) likely at the end of the Summer Event again.

But with the post about changing the DoT to a DD, even the changes coming are going to be changed again in the near'ish future, eh? If that takes 2-3 weeks, a month...would folks just have to qualify again?

That's a rough one. Perhaps it could serve as a test for a sort of methodology to handle things in the future (cause to be honest, with some of the speculation about S10...meh).
  • olympus7olympus7 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Some players made their record runs without plasma doping and/or delta trait so it is not really fair to remove them. But then again, this is not such a strong reason since it is likely that they will be able to repeat that.
    So, +1 for reset.
    I believe this is the easiest and fastest way for admins to maintain channels' standards.
    Also, in my opinion, it is much more stimulating trying to achieve realistic numbers than numbers resulting from using broken stuff.
  • sarcasmdetectorsarcasmdetector Member Posts: 1,176 Media Corps
    edited February 2015
    olympus7 wrote: »
    Some players made their record runs without plasma doping and/or delta trait so it is not really fair to remove them. But then again, this is not such a strong reason since it is likely that they will be able to repeat that.
    So, +1 for reset.
    I believe this is the easiest and fastest way for admins to maintain channels' standards.
    Also, in my opinion, it is much more stimulating trying to achieve realistic numbers than numbers resulting from using broken stuff.

A bunch of us have done some test runs with Plasma Burn and EAP; results: if you where able to get a DPS score before without these 2 mechanics, you'll be able to get them again.
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Total wipe. All channels EXCEPT DPS-Public. I say that even as a member of the 10k channel only.

Sometimes it is good to 'trim the fat' as it were. It will also give you an idea of how many people will still want to be a part of the league after the fact.

Just make sure to give people plenty of time and lots of announcements so that few have this come as a surprise. There will be those who don't hear about it, but at the very least, a good chunk should as long as you make sure to be active in telling people.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'm okay with it. I only just went from 22k to 58k in the past 2 weeks. my plasma burn only parses at 8k. I'm not using Pen. I can get my way into the 50k again I believe. The biggest jump for me was getting to the flanking section of the spec tree.

Hopefully you can keep the current data for legacy purposes in a similar way the pre-s9 tab exists. 10k is a bit too low for the base. Maybe 15k and 30k channels. Mind you increasing it from 10 to 15 for the base will cut off about 2000 qualifying people.

Edit: Since it looks like plasma consoles will be getting reworked again in the future, Will we need to do future resets?
  • ashtarprimeashtarprime Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    for captains who aren't really all that (like me!) the current UI lag thing will drop dps scores by a fair bit, and if/when that gets fixed, there will be a natural bump. Just something to note, if the "two weeks" period is going to start before that gets fixed (as seems likely).
  • jaymclaughlinjaymclaughlin Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'd go for some sort of wipe.

It might be nice to keep the scores in a similar fashion to the S9 ISA etc that we have there now.

I'm assuming the ground tables would be untouched?

What about the speed runs leagues?
    animated.gif
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,462 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'm hinging between a reset and orbital nuclear annihilation.

Either way, i make it a point NOT to participate in DPS channels.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I have no idea what any of that is. But...seeing as you asked for opinions from where I stand once the changes are made any former numbers are automatically null and void, so you might as well clear it all and start fresh.

If it were me, I'd stick to the single 'DPS league' channel as well and not bother with 30k, 50k and so on. It'd be easier to maintain at times like this, I'm sure it'll happen again in the future too.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I would probably pick the reset option - though preserving the old data for history's sake might be interesting. But the old data would be misleading if it was mixed with new data, so I think you don't really have a choice here.

The channel reorganization - I am not sure how vital the different channel classes actually are to the DPS community. That seems to be something I can offer no real advice on.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    questerius wrote: »
    I'm hinging between a reset and orbital nuclear annihilation.

Either way, i make it a point NOT to participate in DPS channels.

LOL! I admit, "eliminate the League altogether" came to my mind as well, as I suspect an actual change in player behavior might get the devs' attention in a way that words with contradictory actions do not. If the DPSers and big buyers drastically change what they are doing, that is going to become noticeable to everybody in game, including the devs, very fast.

And yeah, I feel the same way and finding out recently that my CC boat is approaching the 10k mark now does not in the slightest bit change my mind about never, ever joining such a channel.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • riccardo171riccardo171 Member Posts: 1,802 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'm not a DPSers, PvEr or something like that. Hardcore PvPer where DPS has no meaning: complete opposite lets say.

However, my idea would be to wipe the slate clean of leaderboards. Plasma burn was bugged, Delta T2 was bugged. As such, they are not meant to be permanent components of the gameplay. If you wanna set a record, and this applies to PvP as well, you have to make sure that the mechanics you're using are working as intended.

So, wipe them.
  • oneratsonerats Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I can say that plasma consoles have added a good 15k to most if my runs. They generally make up 20% or so of my damage. It went up a lot after epic quality with three of em, but I don't run beam consoles. As for EAP, I've no idea what I gain there.

A wipe makes the most sense, of 30k or higher at the very least. I may still make 30, but I never should have been hitting the 60-80 I've managed recently, and won't after this fix.