test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Save The Particle Game

thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,983 Arc User
I'd like to see the Particle Game continue beyond the 26th.

Put it in Wolf 359 and just set the Trace received as random rather than just one color.

Love those super Omega Tech power ups.

Free crafting like it was meant to be.

Limit admission to Level 60's only to prevent overload/ lag.
Post edited by thlaylierah on

Comments

• gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Bah! Stick a handful in the game in places they make sense. A couple in the Dyson Spheres, and one in a new patrol just outside it in the Delta Quadrant, make us fight off the Borg before letting us scan it - Once!
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    While I kinda understand the sentiment - in the end, Dilithium is just as free as these particles. You have to do something in game to get it. For Omega Traces, you happen to need to do this particle mini-game. For Dilithium, there are plenty of options. The only thing different really is that this particular mini-game for Omega Traces exists is brand new.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,983 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    gonalius wrote: »
    Bah! Stick a handful in the game in places they make sense. A couple in the Dyson Spheres, and one in a new patrol just outside it in the Delta Quadrant, make us fight off the Borg before letting us scan it - Once!

I thought Wolf 359 would be appropriate because of all those exploding Warp Cores during the battle disturbing the Space/ Time Continuum.
  • rsoblivionrsoblivion Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Or it could be removed and you can play Dance Dance Revolution on your second screen instead. In all honesty it's just a silly mini-game that is repetitive and boring. Less so than the normal R&D mat mini-game, but getting there fast.
    Chris Robert's on SC:
    "You don't have to do something again and again and again repetitive that doesn't have much challange, that's just a general good gameplay thing."
    edited February 2015
    rsoblivion wrote: »
    Or it could be removed and you can play Dance Dance Revolution on your second screen instead. In all honesty it's just a silly mini-game that is repetitive and boring. Less so than the normal R&D mat mini-game, but getting there fast.

But Free Omega Super tech Power Ups!!!!!

And it's something to do that's fun.
  • variant37variant37 Member Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Never going to happen, given that "regular" tech upgrades are intentional dilithium sinks.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'm sure there is more than 1 person out there who has made over 1000 of these.

It was a swell but somewhat annoying event. I'll be glad to see it in the rear view mirror.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

edited February 2015
    variant37 wrote: »
    Never going to happen, given that "regular" tech upgrades are intentional dilithium sinks.

I can get Dill for free just by doing DOff missions so not much of a sink.

The Particle game keeps me in game boosting their metrics where the DOff missions take like 5 minutes tops.
  • decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It's an event mission, so hopefully it will go away when the event ends. That is the whole point of an event mission/minigame.
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    rsoblivion wrote: »

You don't like it. I do. It reminds me of the early days of gaming, when this minigame was all that a game was. Don't like it? Don't do it!
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    gonalius wrote: »
    You don't like it. I do. It reminds me of the early days of gaming, when this minigame was all that a game was. Don't like it? Don't do it!

Regardless who likes it and who doesn't - it has no place in STO after the anniversary, at least not in it's current format.
    HQroeLu.jpg
    edited February 2015
    shpoks wrote: »
    Regardless who likes it and who doesn't - it has no place in STO after the anniversary, at least not in it's current format.

Um... It's Omega Particles right?

Part of the current storyline.......
  • parheeparhee Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    shpoks wrote: »

The main problem for me with the current format is that its too easy for people to bot with new accounts (ive seen plenty that were clearly made just for this event with the sole purpose of grinding traces), because even with the lowest score of just keeping the mouse at a single track still gives 60 traces an hour. With several accounts running thats some easy upgrades, or when selling them, easy money. They need to make these kind of events way more bot-proof, or take a more agressive stand in avoiding them.
    edited February 2015
    parhee wrote: »
    The main problem for me with the current format is that its too easy for people to bot with new accounts (ive seen plenty that were clearly made just for this event with the sole purpose of grinding traces), because even with the lowest score of just keeping the mouse at a single track still gives 60 traces an hour. With several accounts running thats some easy upgrades, or when selling them, easy money. They need to make these kind of events way more bot-proof, or take a more agressive stand in avoiding them.

Again, lock it at level 60 to reduce Alt botting.
  • js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Mini-games like this - lazy clones of games that are long extinct with good reason - shouldn't be encouraged. What's next? A pong mini game? If I want to play a game like the omega trace thing there are countless browser based equivalents.

Please don't encourage the development team of this game to take the lazy path. This game is something people pay for (with real cash) and I don't think anyone will thank you if it becomes nothing more than a large 3d map full of past-their-time lazy mini games.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    the exchange sell offs should be great :D
    eywdK7c.jpg
    edited February 2015
    If it is left in one or a few places that are publically announced in the Patch Notes so people that hate minigames can avoid the area and it's locked out to rank 60 only we can have our mini games and minimized impact to haters of such also.
  • js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I don't hate mini-games. I do, however, dislike it when game developers take the lazy path.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • sirmaydaysirmayday Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Let's be honest: This isn't about the mini-game, it's about the powerful upgrades it offers. That sort of thing is pretty normal as an event reward, but would completely skew dilithium and non-Omega upgrade values if it became permanent. I look forward to it coming back next year, but expect it to take 11 months off, first.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Um... It's Omega Particles right?

Part of the current storyline.......

This has nothing to do with the Omega Particles from Star Trek or the storyline. Omega Particles are not "something something" that's used for gear upgrades and Starfleet has a directive to destory Omega Particles.
    This is nothing more than a Q circus which is ok for giggles and during this event.

But anyway, I'll tell you my main problems with this minigame besides it belonging some 20 years in the past:

- I'm not expert and I may be 100% wrong, but I suspect that this minigame being all over the place is if not the main cause, then one of the contributors for the terrible lag that's been going on since the start of the anniversary.
    - In it's current format, it's idiotic. If it is to stay in some format, it's really needs to be worked upon and made to be more fitting for the environment of the game. What I mean is - it really stupid to venture through space and have huge glowing 'Omega' letters all over the place, this ain't Super Mario....or at least I hope it's not.

At the end, I hope you realize we're having a pointless discussion. Cryptic won't allow this to remain after the anniversary, since it's a direct hit on their revenue generation if they provide such an easy limitless way for players to constantly get upgrades.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Of course they're not going to keep the omega particle drops in the game. It would render the normal upgrades completely obsolete.

But they could keep the minigame up somewhere, and make it drop regular R&D materials instead. ;)
  • parheeparhee Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    sirmayday wrote: »
    Let's be honest: This isn't about the mini-game, it's about the powerful upgrades it offers. That sort of thing is pretty normal as an event reward, but would completely skew dilithium and non-Omega upgrade values if it became permanent. I look forward to it coming back next year, but expect it to take 11 months off, first.

seeing how easy it is to gather massive amounts, its already too late for it not to have an effect.
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    sirmayday wrote: »
    Pretty much this ^
    I'm really surprised and glad they threw the player base a bone with this one (boring as the mini game is) the tech sure is nice to have especially the x4quality mod.
    For a company that just monetized a good portion of their game, this sure was generous.
    Ill be putting mine to good use.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
    edited February 2015
    parhee wrote: »
    seeing how easy it is to gather massive amounts, its already too late for it not to have an effect.

Sure, but if it would continue full time then there'd really be a problem. After the event these will disappear off the exchange in no time. Or get so overpriced with dwindling supplies people will avoid buying them.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Honestly i don't see any problem whatsoever with keeping them, it would be a huge PR win for cryptic and a great boon for players.
    The upgrade system as is is already prohibitively expensive for more casual players, as dilithium is a time gated currency, that is shared by increasingly more sources.

Quite frankly, dilithium should never have been a cost of upgrading equipment in the first place. Especially since you can't even get Mk XIV gear as drops or rewards.
  • millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'm sure the mini-game will appear annually or semi-annually.

What I would really like to see is, during the last weekend of the current run of the event (ie during the extended weekend of the event), the drop rate on shards and fragments is dramatically increased.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
    edited February 2015
    I'm sure the mini-game will appear annually or semi-annually.

What I would really like to see is, during the last weekend of the current run of the event (ie during the extended weekend of the event), the drop rate on shards and fragments is dramatically increased.

That would be very nice indeed.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg