test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The strangest connection issues I have ever seen

Hello everyone, I'm here to report a kind of connection issue on my end that I haven't seen described by anyone else here on the forums.

For the past several days, starting on Sunday, I've had quite the unusual time attempting to play STO. As I logged in to my character on Sunday afternoon I was greeted with a very unusual loading time. Once my ship spawned, the wackiness began. I was unable to interact with anything in my environment: no buttons would activate, though I was able to use maneuvering thrusters. When I activated the engines, my ship would go nowhere. All the while, everything around me would move around just fine. The only analogy I can give is that it's as if I'm Patrick Swayze in Ghost.

I've been attempting to do runs of Argala, and literally just completed one because I've been going through the same song and dance for the last couple of days. I would jump into the mission and things would be running smoothly. Then, as the mission progressed, I would slowly begin to disconnect from the game. My weapons would cease firing, my ability to move would cease. Meanwhile the other ships in the game would continue operating at normal speed. Please note that while I have gotten "Disconnected from server" during these events, it doesn't happen all the time. Just now, after attempting a run through to get a better description of what's wrong, I just watched my ability to interact with the game cease. Even if I tried to log out, it didn't work; I would have to do a hard exit from the game.

Does anyone know anything about what could be causing this? My connection results are solid (though I cannot connect to nettest for some reason). Just today I acquired a brand new modem with higher speed capability but the problem has not been alleviated.
Post edited by kse1990 on

Comments

• grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    kse1990 wrote: »

Does anyone know anything about what could be causing this? My connection results are solid (though I cannot connect to nettest for some reason). Just today I acquired a brand new modem with higher speed capability but the problem has not been alleviated.

If the 'Net Test' diagnostics fails, then that means you can't establish a quality connection to the local network where the 'Net Test' diagnostic server, (and not the STO Servers, which are located on the same local network...) are located. This means that your issue is not related to the STO Servers (which are completely out of the picture for the 'Net Test' diagnostics...) but are instead, a TCP/IP connection quality issue of some kind... And we're not talking about your connection to the Internet. We're talking about your connection through the Internet to the local network where the STO Servers are located... (So this may be a issue with your ISP, or the Internet Backbone provider that your ISP has chosen to use...)

And without posting the other diagnostic results... (e.g. 'Trace Route' and the most important 'Path Ping') its anyone's guess as to what is causing your connection quality issue...