test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Server Downtime 02-19-2015

Comments

• fecoka71fecoka71 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Actually those Commodore64s were much more stable than this. You could leave them run for weeks without problems.
    And I agree: If I had such a downtime as this twice in a year (not in a month), I'd be on the brink of getting fired and I would have my boss looking over my shoulder for a looooong time.
    These guys are not taking us nor the game seriously. They should be booted.
    I also had pland to buy Zen. Not a cent to these people though. Not until I see an announcement about a complete team change.
  • tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    hypl wrote: »
    This must be the new status quo for Star Trek Online, 2015 and beyond!

Way to go Cryptic! A fine product you have here. Clearly, working as intended. As it should be.

You dont realise how close to the truth you are...
  • ninjazinsideninjazinside Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I think they need a soothing British accent in their ears to coo them forward to new speeds of work, I volunteer for the Job of course. As a Gentleman must you see! Anyway I feel like the game has its merits but unexpected downtime and now the server inexplicably crashing is not a very good way to run this, considering its been around a good long while it should have been stable enough to at least be up. I would recommend giving existing players a little forgive us gift, nothing massive, something cosmetic, or of not too much game changing value. Because this is a way to lose customers/consumers/players. Especially during the Anniversary event where doing dailies is important. Still what do I know, I just play games, I do like this game which is why I have the Command ships bundle for all factions already, just giving you a little advice from my viewpoint. Take it or leave it guys!
  • decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    canavet wrote: »
    And who the heck puts in a time limited ban, right from the start, on posting new threads??? I can't even ask a simple question in your academy forum for the purpose of leaning this game.

I'm starting to reconsider.

It's to stop spammers. If you go to the accademy section you will see a thread called "Come here if you have Q" that was started specifically for people like yourself to ask questions and get answers.
  • haubrockhaubrock Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    giricrw wrote: »
    All this complaining... It could be that as a free to play game they just don't have the server capacity to take on so many incoming connexions at once. Granted, as many people pay for things in this game, it's unlikely they can't afford the good equipment. So, who knows...

Thanks for continuing to work on it...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

And so on...

No seriously, If they do not have the money to pay enough manpower to fix those servers they kind of misscalculated when starting a free2play game...

No seriously, If they do not have the money to pay for good servers, they kind of suck...
  • he11bladehe11blade Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Maybe the truth lies in "Captain Smirks" name!! Cause maybe he's smirking at us every time the sever goes down.

He could be saying " haha now none can play"

Jokes of course. :D

I know you're joking but, all jokes aside, it must suck to be in his position sometimes. He's just the messenger and takes the heat when some other portion of the company is performing poorly. Frankly, I'd like to see the person in charge of maintenance and servers step forward and explain why this happens so frequently.
    f86cqFw.png
  • amezukiamezuki Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    he11blade wrote: »
    I must admit that I'm a bit in the dark as to the structure of Cryptic and PWE. When the servers have problems, who's responsibility is that? The downtime often involves several games, so does that mean that someone at PWE is in charge of maintenance or is it someone at Cryptic?
    I don't work at PWE/Cryptic, but I have some professional experience in this area.

The development team of any large online service or e-commerce site is rarely the same team that is responsible for deploying new code to the live site. Typically at a minimum you have dev, test/qa, and operations. Dev writes code. Ops kicks off the scripts that deploy code and change LB rotation, restart services, etc. Test validates that the changes are live and working. This is a gross oversimplification of the SDLC, and some blurring of roles is to be expected in a small team, but generally speaking, developers don't take their own code live.

There might have been a crash bug in the code that brought everything down. Or, more likely, someone might've identified a serious problem that required the servers to be taken offline immediately. It's even possible that someone in ops fat-fingered a reboot script, or some guy in the data center who doesn't even work for them unplugged the wrong cable and brought the whole site down (that actually happened to us once at a previous job).

Until we know more, it's better not to jump to conclusions.
    Fleet Admiral L'Yern - Screenshot and doffing addict
    Eclipse Class Intel Cruiser U.S.S. Dioscuria NX-91121-A - Interactive Crew Roster
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    chad4231 wrote: »
    Starting to get into the soap opera my missus watches on telly, can feel my brains starting to ooze out of my ears .. please get server back up quickly, its a matter of life & death to me!!

They are actually quite interesting. I can't wait to see if Thomas is really the father of Heather's unborn child. And if Rudy is ever gonna wake up from his coma to tell Monique about his undying love and that her husband cheats her with her best friend. Stories straight out of everyday life.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Scotty: Do you mind a little advice? Starfleet captains are like children. They want everything right now and they want it their way. But the secret is to give them only what they need, not what they want.

Lt. Commander Geordi La Forge: Yeah, well, I told the Captain I'd have this analysis done in an hour.

Scotty: How long will it really take?

Lt. Commander Geordi La Forge: An hour!

Scotty: Oh, you didn't tell him how long it would *really* take, did ya?

Lt. Commander Geordi La Forge: Well, of course I did.

Scotty: Oh, laddie. You've got a lot to learn if you want people to think of you as a miracle worker.
  • cdnhawkcdnhawk Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I think they need a soothing British accent in their ears to coo them forward to new speeds of work

If the devs read that, I expect that they'll take that idea and substitute a drunken Scotsman in attempt to keep the budget reasonable.
  • giannicampanellagiannicampanella Member Posts: 424 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    sov42 wrote: »
    This game needs an TRIBBLE.

The only thing left would be the launcher.
    Greenbird
    edited February 2015
    szim wrote: »
    They are actually quite interesting. I can't wait to see if Thomas is really the father of Heather's unborn child. And if Rudy is ever gonna wake up from his coma to tell Monique about his undying love and that her husband cheats her with her best friend. Stories straight out of everyday life.
    I feel you are already tainted and must be put down in the name of the God-Emperor and the good of humanity...
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    40 minutes or so.. assuming its not delayed again. hmm may as well get back to what i was doing.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • carefulsammycarefulsammy Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Just wanted to say as a free to play member I enjoy the game very much and would love to jump on the rant wagon right now becasue its annoying but In my experince I find the game fun and I cant threaten not to buy more zen because I know I will its just to tempting. Just want to say in case any developers do read this and think OMG they all hate us ... I dont and I'm sure theres a lot less vocal people who don't either so good luck to the Devs/Techs fixing the problems and meh I make mistakes at work all the time. But I am eager to get that kobali Sheild haha

GOOD LUCK
  • zadetrekker1zadetrekker1 Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    STAR TREK ONLINE : WE TAKE YOUR MONEY AND WE DO **** ALL AND THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT.

^ Should be there new motto ^ :rolleyes:
    :D
  • giricrwgiricrw Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Must be a Thursday... Never could quite get the hang of Thursdays.
    -- Arthur Dent, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
  • martok73martok73 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    at least with the server down it takes my focus of frustration away from the fact I have Zen showing in the My Wallet page, but for the love of god can't get it to transfer to STO, why??? because the stupid website says I have no characters when I click the little dropdown box to choose the server.... the arc part that copies characters to tribble is working fine, why can't the damn Zen Wallet?

oh well, server is dead anyway, guess I'll have to wait til they preform cpr to get my new shinny ship.:mad::mad::mad:
  • fudgemonkfudgemonk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Almost every Thursday the same story. :( come in cryptic get ur act together, ur giving EU players the shaft this way.
    edited February 2015
    cdnhawk wrote: »
    If the devs read that, I expect that they'll take that idea and substitute a drunken Scotsman in attempt to keep the budget reasonable.
    You see a drunken scotsman can work, but they have to be the right kind, and as we all OBVIOUSLY know, all drunk scots are the angry kind. Not the best to work with lol
    edited February 2015
    You see a drunken scotsman can work, but they have to be the right kind, and as we all OBVIOUSLY know, all drunk scots are the angry kind. Not the best to work with lol

Wow wow I might take offence man!
  • fudgemonkfudgemonk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    So is there any eta on a fix or am I stuck trying to log in?
    edited February 2015
    Wow wow I might take offence man!
    Sorry have to know I am from just outside London, and as such can make loads of jokes about my own place of upbringing and the English Stereotype, don't take offence bud just friendly banter ;)
  • ejg2k10ejg2k10 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    U.S.S. Money Toilet:mad:
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I feel you are already tainted and must be put down in the name of the God-Emperor and the good of humanity...

Shlen'kla, Imperator! The God-Emperor demands a ritual sacrific of 35% of the population so the Immaculate Seer can have her vision, whist pleasing the God-Emperor. The Kra'hen empire will endure.

Oh and by the way, the Seer said she has no advice at this time for weak willed humans who breaks too easily at the slightest flick of her power. tainted indeed? :P
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    edited February 2015
    Sorry have to know I am from just outside London, and as such can make loads of jokes about my own place of upbringing and the English Stereotype, don't take offence bud just friendly banter ;)

It's all cool now, us scots can be nice when we are drunk when we feel like it haha. :P
  • captainjk740captainjk740 Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I don't normally jump in to a rant. Although the game has been buggy and rubberbanding lately, this situation may not be Cryptic's fault. I'm in the Central Time Zone. A little bit ago we lost some sattilite channels. I reset our boxes; yet some channels are still down. I know they are different systems, but it is possible that some outside force is causing trouble (like with Sony). Also, there have been winter storms in the southern and northeastern U.S. states. These storms have resulted in many deaths and power outages. It is possible that a ripple effect could be interfering with the connection between Cryptic and the end-user. :rolleyes:
  • he11bladehe11blade Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    amezuki wrote: »
    I don't work at PWE/Cryptic, but I have some professional experience in this area.<snip> Until we know more, it's better not to jump to conclusions.

Thanks for the insight. I can appreciate that both software, hardware and accidents can lead to the servers being offline. At some point, this happens so frequently, that the system needs to be reexamined.

If the Enterprise's warp engines were offline unexpectedly several times a month, every month, Scotty would be fired. It wouldn't matter if it was because of poor parts, poorly trained crewmen or the janitor spilling water on a console. As chief engineer, Scotty is responsible for identifying and resolving those issues by making workplace changes to prevent or at least diminish future problems.

In the real world, these down times have happened many, many times over the last five years. Whoever is in charge of deployment and/or hardware should be able to identify common issues and tackle them. Other MMOs have far better track records. So, it seems logical that either the person in charge of this area of the business isn't very effective or the people in charge of the business are not willing to spend money to fix these ongoing issues.
    f86cqFw.png
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015

How about, just a Scott? :P
    edited February 2015
    fudgemonk wrote: »
    So is there any eta on a fix or am I stuck trying to log in?
    last I heard 40 mins till we have an update on the situation or its fixed *shrugs* I wanted to get my daily for Q done again today only 120 more Qmendations to get the Kobali cruiser. Oh well I'll check again in an hour, I have the xbox and Steam to kick butt somewhere else :)
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Careful or Scotland might declare independence after all. ;)