Options

Server Downtime 02-19-2015

Comments

• Options
    vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Server gone boom!
    totally booooooom

Badaboom ! And just after I bought 120,000 zen for those command ships too !
    Talk about instant buyer's remorse ! :P
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• Options
    zadetrekker1zadetrekker1 Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    What if cryptic is run by giant space hamsters in disguise!!!! :eek: :eek:
    :D
  • Options
    ejg2k10ejg2k10 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Time for a mutiny.
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Good luck, Smirk.

Try tea for the stress. Earl grey, hot is the best.

Though I like a good peppermint green tea myself.
  • Options
    smilegcb2#3786 smilegcb2 Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Player Blog :

Today, i need to change game, STO i'ts currently a Chinese Game... The lag is permanent ... PvE Queue nerfed etc ... So, Wallet Blocked for STO, When another game is launch, probably don't play on STO ...

Dev's, move your body and solve ALLLLL ****ing lag's ! Go found new Dev's for solve the problem in fast time.

I give you 6 - 8 Months to solve the problems ... If don't solve, i quit this Game...
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    This must be the new status quo for Star Trek Online, 2015 and beyond!

Way to go Cryptic! A fine product you have here. Clearly, working as intended. As it should be.
  • Options
    odisseusrhodisseusrh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    gotta be careful of those hamster if you feed them after midnight or get them wet some bad things can happen!
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,392 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    And all of this, only to have my Boff desert my ship stations and reset their abilities again next time I switch maps.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    You're supposed to listen to the tech guy on the phone until he has finished. You got to the "turning it off part" but missed the "turn it back on again" part. Now have you checked to make sure it is plugged in at the socket and the switch is in the on position? The biggest reason for things not working according to a tech support gal I know.

Either that or someone forgot to put 50p in the meter at the server farm.

As compensation for this I think we should all get a full stack of red, yellow and blue traces on each of our characters (now wait and see how many quote that bit and ignore this bit which is saying I am joking) :eek:
  • Options
    thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    However, Chat service will remain offline until further notice.

really? really? really?
  • Options
    he11bladehe11blade Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Thanks for the update, Captainsmirk. While I'm annoyed, I also know that you're just the messenger. I must admit that I'm a bit in the dark as to the structure of Cryptic and PWE. When the servers have problems, who's responsibility is that? The downtime often involves several games, so does that mean that someone at PWE is in charge of maintenance or is it someone at Cryptic?

Ultimately, I've never seen this much unexpected downtime in any other MMO and it seems every unprofessional. Surely, there is an administrator in charge of overseeing this and they certainly aren't doing a good job.

All games have some unexpected downtime but STO has the most I've seen, by far. Additionally, other games I've played always gave the players some small in game token as a way of apologizing for the annoyance. Little things like health potions/kits, etc. Just small ways of acknowledging the hassle. It's surprising how good these make customers feel and it goes a long way toward good customer service.
    f86cqFw.png
  • Options
    jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    This is boring . . . Just fix it already. . Why bring it back up if it's not ready. .

I've not bad mouthed sto like ever but recently this is such a joke. . .
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    crosis2014crosis2014 Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    STO Development Team - It is time to come clean with the player base. The only function this laughable MMO now serves is money acquisition. Your new content is pathetic at best, when it bothers to work. Every patch you create slows the game and causes immeasurable new glitches. Your response to all of the complaints is always the same - Look Zen is on sale, here is a new ship buy zen and buy it.

Take the mass amounts of money you made from Delta Rising (WORST MMO EXPANSION EVER) as well as all of the other holiday and lockbox events, and invest in true programming talent. It continues to amaze me that to this day, the only fixes you ever are able to make, takes away from the game playing experience. So keeping with that logic, please break the game. If fixing in your world equates the TRIBBLE you provide us week after week, please break the game like you have never broken anything before.

You Just are terrible at this.
  • Options
    zadetrekker1zadetrekker1 Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Maybe the truth lies in "Captain Smirks" name!! Cause maybe he's smirking at us every time the sever goes down.

He could be saying " haha now none can play"

Jokes of course. :D
    :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    However, Chat service will remain offline until further notice.

Considering the normal status of ESD zone chat, that's kind of an improvement.

Also, please spay and neuter the zen-farmers, they're breeding at an unhealthy rate.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Cryptic, you really need to buckle up if you plan on keeping STO alive, because your preformance since the launch of Delta Rising has been nothing short of pathetic. :( If things continue at this rate and in this manner, I seriously doubt that the game will make it past this summer. :(

Not trying to be mean here, just a honest statement from a long term player seriosuly worried about the state and future of the game that he would like to go on playing for many more years to come. The almost completely broken state of multiple aspects of STO since the new expansion does not bode well. :(
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    skarlat#8400 skarlat Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    bioform02 wrote: »
    Damit Jim im a doctor not a server technician...

The server's dead Jim!
  • Options
    commandant4commandant4 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The damn Servers are what, 5 years old? Dont you think it might be time to bring in a NEW server, and migrate everything over? That would reduce lag and other issues a great deal. After that, please, for the love THAT IS, STO - fix the damn bugs. Stop trying to rush in new content and instead worry about fixing the stuff thats already broken. I played "Everything Old Is New" recently, only to find out it too is now broken (bugged or glitched) because when I get to the end it wants me to start over instead of handing in the mission. This is NOT the only mission that does this.

So instead of new content and regular updates for events, why not a bug patch or two? Other games do it frequently, why cant you guys? I mean seriously. Give the hamsters a break and get to work. Do your jobs!
    tumblr_lkw1m4QQmj1qd5tdto1_r1_500.gif
  • Options
    canavetcanavet Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I just downloaded STO yesterday for the first/second time. By that I mean I had to uninstall/re-install the game to make it work. So far I have been disconnected multiple times from the server, can't get a mission to work right, even after walk throughs on it, and now this fiasco with the maintenance. And I was seriously checking this game out with the intent of giving up my 2+ year subscription on another MMO in favor of this game.

And who the heck puts in a time limited ban, right from the start, on posting new threads??? I can't even ask a simple question in your academy forum for the purpose of leaning this game.

I'm starting to reconsider.
  • Options
    embraceofchaosembraceofchaos Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Seriously, I am a Network systems Architect. What are they using? Old Commodore 64s? Apple IIe? Wow. I run a few servers here at home and have over 6k clients and never have these kind of problems. I was going to dump enough money to purchase 30k zen, but what would be the point unless they fix these issues?
  • Options
    ejg2k10ejg2k10 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    This game has turned into a giant money toilet in dire need of a flushing.:mad:
  • Options
    giricrwgiricrw Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    All this complaining... It could be that as a free to play game they just don't have the server capacity to take on so many incoming connexions at once. Granted, as many people pay for things in this game, it's unlikely they can't afford the good equipment. So, who knows...

Thanks for continuing to work on it...
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    fix the damn bugs. Stop trying to rush in new content and instead worry about fixing the stuff thats already broken.

This, SO, SO MUCH!

This game needs an TRIBBLE.
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    caltair wrote: »
    I've been gone for a while and just came back to play a couple days ago... how often have the servers been down like this the past few months?
    Not as much as the rage would indicate.

Most of the server maintenances over the past six months have been fairly routine, and I don't remember more than one other instance of a six hour downtime.

However, there have been lots of disconnects, especially since the anniversary, an issue they've only recently acknowledged but they're not looking into.
    fadmbambam wrote: »
    Guess I'll go watch Marvel's Agent Carter. ABC's server stays up....
    Quality programming.
    sov42 wrote: »

Also, please spay and neuter the zen-farmers, they're breeding at an unhealthy rate.

Maybe they can bring it back when Risa hits....
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    chad4231chad4231 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Starting to get into the soap opera my missus watches on telly, can feel my brains starting to ooze out of my ears .. please get server back up quickly, its a matter of life & death to me!!
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I'd like to echo the frustration being voiced here. You guys have weekly scheduled downtime, and that, taken together with the prodigious amount of money we pump into the game make it extremely irritating when these problems happen every other week. I'd kill to get access to this kind of scheduled downtime for the systems I'm responsible to manage.

I'm not sure I'm ready to open fire on the dev team, however. STO, like many IT implementations, is a victim of its management strategy. Every week there is enormous pressure to add content - new things to buy, new ships, specials, etc. etc. etc. I haven't seen evidence in any patch notes of serious effort to fix long-running and serious problems with the game. The devs are probably constrained from being able to make a real difference because they are not being measured by stability.

I'd like to see a feature and content freeze lasting a month or so. Give the devs a few cycles simply to clean up the game. But that's a management decision, so my weapons are locked on them.

I understand the desire to keep the game interesting and fresh. I have seen and do appreciate some of the improvements that have been made. But if you sacrifice quality to get there, you will shoot yourself in the foot. I recommend against showing me a failed login screen so I have more time to reevaluate my loyalty to this game and ponder the sunk cost fallacy.
  • Options
    giricrwgiricrw Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    chad4231 wrote: »
    Starting to get into the soap opera my missus watches on telly, can feel my brains starting to ooze out of my ears .. please get server back up quickly, its a matter of life & death to me!!

Netflix

Or Amazon Prime
  • Options
    keepitnastykeepitnasty Member Posts: 0
    edited February 2015
    Every now and again when I'm up at odd hours I'll check out Twitch to see if there are any players streaming STO...occasionally I'll find one or two...one thing I've noticed they have in common is frustration with simple game mechanic bugs...no joke...I've been thoroughly entertained by some Twitch STO streamers who go on tirades against Cryptic....and these are average players!...the kind who are actually the most likely to spend money...

And it makes me wonder....if your average player is frustrated with game play bugs and what are apparently tech problems...you know the players who don't have an embarrassing amount of alts...the players who actually contribute to your paychecks....again... your average casual player...if they're frustrated, irritated and sometimes livid...you need to seriously consider a season spent to maintenance for the financial future of this particular game.....
  • Options
    justwanttobejustwanttobe Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    To avoid all the complaints that arise after every update, simply do one of the following:

1 - always, ALWAYS, add a few hours to the expected downtime. That way instead of always saying 2-4 hours, and ALWAYS taking a few hours more than that you will probably always get us back online before expected.

2 - Just don't give an expected back up time. This would be the worse choice, since it would make your company look like it was run by hamsters.

I will say that I've been playing Star Trek Online since the day it came out, and EVERY update shuts down the servers longer than stated. Back when the game started this was something expected since MMO's were in their infancy, but nowadays that means you need to hire better people to run your updates/servers.

Ok, that is my two cents. Back to trying to log back on every 10 minutes.

(Added: Oh, and it would be nice to maybe get the anniversary event date moved back a day to make up for this lost day of playing....to help those of us that heard of the event late but are still trying to complete it.)
  • Options
    johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    sov42 wrote: »

Pretty much what I was thinking.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif