test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Phalanx Formation and the Current Meta

cerealplayercerealplayer Member Posts: 214 Arc User
The problem with Phalanx Formation is that in, in PvE at least, no one cares about Accuracy. We don't miss, for the most part, and accuracy overflow does not work with the most commonly used weapon abilities (BFAW being the major one).

If instead Phalanx formation gave a bonus to CritH, CritD, or CritX, then this would make this ability a lot more desirable, and help bring Command abilities more in line with Intel.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• andykirkhamandykirkham Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The problem with Phalanx formation is that even at max combat speed (which I run for pedal to metal trait), it takes so long to reach each marker! The markers often take me away from the optimal firing position, I run cruiser on figure-of-8 vector attack so this isn't too much of a problem, but with the new top incentives I keep getting drawn away from my firing window. The ability to alter the next marker position a little by changing direction is good but can we make them appear little quicker please? Keeping up with them feels like being tractor beamed through quicksand and I've recently changed to Suppression Barrage in my Lt Comm.

Would be interesting to know if anyone is using Phalanx effectively though and how?
  • cerealplayercerealplayer Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The problem with Phalanx formation is that even at max combat speed (which I run for pedal to metal trait), it takes so long to reach each marker! The markers often take me away from the optimal firing position,

Yes, that's also true. And the fix is very simple. If the markers were positioned not just based on your location and trajectory, but also your target. The markers could be set in 4-6KM "orbit" around your target, for instance.
  • psyloafpsyloaf Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The markers are based on your speed, the faster you're going the further apart they are. Borticus showed on a podcast in the Samsar at 1/4 impulse and they were very close together
    Fleet Advanced Research Vessel T6
    Commander Science, Lieutenant Commander Engineering, Lieutenant Commander Universal, Lieutenant Tactical, Ensign Science
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The problem I find is that they're just not conducive to space combat.

Weapon Range and Positioning are vitally important and the rings completely mess with that. The best useage I've gotten out of them is when everyone is moving from Planet Killer to Planet Killer in the Undine Battlezone.. using it in actual combat is a completely different matter and the bonuses simply aren't worth the sacrifice.

My proposed suggestion was to change them into 'acceleration gates' to give people a coordinated way to quickly move between objectives while still in combat/Red Alert. (You'd be able to 'sling-shot' people between generators in Borg STFs; Klingon Weapon Platforms in the Undine BZ; expedite travel in Azure Nebula; so on, so forth.)
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Half the bonus from Phalanx Formation is pointless for PVE. Accuracy. There is nothing in this game that regularly make you miss and make you say, "I really need to rack up on accuracy." There is nothing in this game's PVE that have high defense stats. There plenty of enough things that provide Accuracy even outside weapon mods.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    There is the Vaadwaur, but bunching up and moving to fixed points against them is kind of.. well..