Install Arc
Options

So, science gets nerfed again...

Comments

• Options
    atlantraatlantra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    OMG they're already messing up my plans:

I was gonna use elite Tachyon drones, Tachyon platform, Tachyon beam III, Charged Particle Burst, and the KDF 'Shield Destroyer' console. I guess I wont buy the command pack now...
    (A total of 4407 shield drain per second all facings)

Tachyon beam III does great when used with Elite Tachyon drones. I'm a heavy user of Tachyon Beam. Had a few people even call it 'Over powered'.

I hope they don't over nerf, Once cryptic nerfs-- That's it. It may never get fixed. :(
    The dress is gold and white. Over 70% people says so. When viewed from a certain screen angle it appears blue and black. The dress displayed on amazon is a blue and black dress, but it's not the same dress in the picture. If you're seeing blue & black you're slightly colored blind. A normal upright screen = white and gold.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2015
    darkjeff wrote: »
    That is so stupid I don't know where to begin.

The ship trait from the Geneva/Klinzhai/Deihu is Improved Tachyon Beam. This trait depends on Tachyon Beam.

Why the hell would they nerf Tachyon Beam, and thus reduce the value of the trait granted by 1/3rd of the Command Ships, if they wanted to improve sales of said ship?

In theory, because the ships's console right now is like Tachyon Beam 3 but with a 10Km radius (with 4 piece set bonus). They nerf TB3 on the high end, they make the console look more awesome.

It's awesome that they lowered the CD to 10 secs, but if they nerf it on the high end then WHY?!?! I've used my Tachyon Beam 2 and 3 on STFs, and you might as well be throwing rocks at the shields with the insane hit points they have on Advanced.
  • Options
    rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    lucho80 wrote: »
    In theory, because the ships's console right now is like Tachyon Beam 3 but with a 10Km radius (with 4 piece set bonus). They nerf TB3 on the high end, they make the console look more awesome.

I think the high end is ,maybe, nerfed but the increase to the base drain for Tachyon beam may be a buff since it may not be affected by insulators. We'll all know tomorrow though.

in any case this is a huge buff to elite delta flyers :)
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Can any of you read?

There's one line in that short list of changes that even remotely looks like a nerf. Everything else is an objective buff, and we don't know yet how cooldown reductions and base magnitude buff will interact with the reduced benefit from spec.

Granted Cryptic's history is not good on this sort of thing but that's not an excuse to whine and moan before you can even try the damn thing out. At least wait until you can base your complaints on something concrete. Ugh.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    rmy1081 wrote: »
    I think the high end is ,maybe, nerfed but the increase to the base drain for Tachyon beam may be a buff since it may not be affected by insulators. We'll all know tomorrow though.

in any case this is a huge buff to elite delta flyers :)

Power insulators lessen shield drains also so there you have it.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited February 2015

I was gonna use elite Tachyon drones, Tachyon platform, Tachyon beam III, Charged Particle Burst, and the KDF 'Shield Destroyer' console. I guess I wont buy the command pack now...

(NotSureIfSerious.jpg) -- Time to buy new batteries for my sarcasm detector.

OP: Cryptic gets some things wrong, but also gets some things right like the new boff training system.

Your thread would have been better (and more scientific) if you'd posted the release note information and just said you were worried that the one debuff would outweigh the three buffs.

Instead you shouted "nerf" in a crowded theater when you clearly do not know if that is true yet.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    We'll let tomorrow decide where the nerf lies. The Gravity Well "fix" they did not so long ago went along these same lines so they haven't set a good precedent with these so called "fixes". At least this time, since the formula works correctly across all version, we can get a clear verdict as to whether it was a nerf or not.

Test at 99 flow caps: http://tinypic.com/m/ilauqh/3

Test at 438.9 flow caps: http://tinypic.com/m/ilaul0/3
  • Options
    lawstanzlawstanz Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Buff for me, but then again I don't run maxed aux or use flow caps. In other words, I'm a crappy science captain who likes to run beam boats, so I actually approve of this change.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    lawstanz wrote: »
    Buff for me, but then again I don't run maxed aux or use flow caps. In other words, I'm a crappy science captain who likes to run beam boats, so I actually approve of this change.

Good for you, but those of us who actually invested in making awesome drain builds might have just gotten the shaft in favor of crappy builds just like when they held back gravity well 3's damage when they fixed it because it could destroy 3 frigates.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    atlantra wrote: »

(A total of 4407 shield drain per second all facings)

Tachyon beam III does great when used with Elite Tachyon drones. I'm a heavy user of Tachyon Beam. Had a few people even call it 'Over powered'.

I hope they don't over nerf, Once cryptic nerfs-- That's it. It may never get fixed. :(

Well it depends...where you planning to fly your Command Cruiser or other ship with high aux? :P
  • Options
    edited February 2015
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Bort cleared it up, it's an overall buff. More drain, more often.
  • Options
    atlantraatlantra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Well it depends...where you planning to fly your Command Cruiser or other ship with high aux? :P

Yeah I'm normally 125 weapon power and 130 aux with all my ships. Gotta buy the command cruisers. 590,000 Dil more to refine.

(Not using money. 1,000,200 dil converted to Zen is the cost for the 3 pack.)

I'm just a little annoyed with cryptic. I stand 100% by all my comments about them. Everything I enjoy or find fun gets nerfed. IE: 20k hitting Photonic Shockwave III, Tachyon drones, Omega torpedo with infinite ammo, Heavy Omega torpedo with HP, Orion Slavers, Energy credit farming, ETC. I guess Charged particle burst will be next or Jam senors. Let me see what else I like... Hmmm, yeah the Voth repair ship console and immunity matrix could be next. It's always something I like :(.
    The dress is gold and white. Over 70% people says so. When viewed from a certain screen angle it appears blue and black. The dress displayed on amazon is a blue and black dress, but it's not the same dress in the picture. If you're seeing blue & black you're slightly colored blind. A normal upright screen = white and gold.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    atlantra wrote: »
    I'm just a little annoyed with cryptic. I stand 100% by all my comments about them. Everything I enjoy or find fun gets nerfed. IE: 20k hitting Photonic Shockwave III, Tachyon drones, Omega torpedo with infinite ammo, Heavy Omega torpedo with HP, Orion Slavers, Energy credit farming, ETC. I guess Charged particle burst will be next or Jam senors. Let me see what else I like... Hmmm, yeah the Voth repair ship console and immunity matrix could be next. It's always something I like :(.

You forgot they still haven't fixed the Aceton Assimilator's drain. That thing is so broken, it's not even funny. No stacking and no scaling.
  • Options
    the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    darkjeff wrote: »
    That is so stupid I don't know where to begin.

The ship trait from the Geneva/Klinzhai/Deihu is Improved Tachyon Beam. This trait depends on Tachyon Beam.

Why the hell would they nerf Tachyon Beam, and thus reduce the value of the trait granted by 1/3rd of the Command Ships, if they wanted to improve sales of said ship?

Uhm you have the wrong person on that quote btw
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    You forgot they still haven't fixed the Aceton Assimilator's drain. That thing is so broken, it's not even funny. No stacking and no scaling.

The stacking was intentional. I remember being camped with 10 acetons and getting instantly drained. It quickly sucked the fun out of the match (excuse the pun).
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    rmy1081 wrote: »

Thanks. So OP worked himself into a tinfoil hat tizzy for nothing.
  • Options
    gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Frankly, I really can't tell if they threw us under the bus or not. I'll have to record what Tachyon Beam 1,2,3 do today and then after the patch to give my actual verdict, although it reeks of the fix/nerf they did to Gravity Well (Boost it at the low end and to hell with people on the high end).

Yes, I can see them catering to the entry level skill users instead of the higher end/level users.
    Joined STO in September 2010.
  • Options
    mhirtescmhirtesc Member Posts: 581 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Who used tachyon beam before ?

In a fight with CE, Tachyon Beam is a must. Or do you like heaving to deal with CE with over a hundred recrystallization buffs?
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    mhirtesc wrote: »
    In a fight with CE, Tachyon Beam is a must. Or do you like heaving to deal with CE with over a hundred recrystallization buffs?
    you can subnuke, or Tyken's rift it too....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    you can subnuke, or Tyken's rift it too....

pretty sure subnuke does not work, but tykens, energy siphon, charge particle burst, and good old delta flyers work.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    adamkafei wrote: »
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=22389831&postcount=1

SO basically, science captains get thrown under the bus (again) for the sake of selling command ships...

Great, thanks Cryptic.
    Even without Borticus' post on the topic, how can cooldown reductions and "dramatic increse in magnitude" be "throwing science under the buff"?

You understand that a small cooldown is more desirable than a long cooldown, and that "magnitude" means how strong the power is, and bigger is better?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Even without Borticus' post on the topic, how can cooldown reductions and "dramatic increse in magnitude" be "throwing science under the buff"?

You understand that a small cooldown is more desirable than a long cooldown, and that "magnitude" means how strong the power is, and bigger is better?

Zactly. Just read the man's post. Looks like a buff to me. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Neo: What are you trying to tell me, that I can drain shields?
    Morpheus: No Neo. I'm trying to tell you that when you're ready, you won't have to.

Exotic dmg builds in a nutshell.

Oh and also:
    mhirtesc wrote: »
    Against the CE, you don't use TB for the drain effect anyway. In fact, you can remove the recrystallization stacks more often now.
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • Options
    decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Try this line:
    Shared cooldown reduced from 20 seconds to 10 seconds.
    All individual cooldowns reduced from 30 seconds to 20 seconds.
    Base magnitudes increased dramatically.
    Benefit that can be gained from Auxiliary Power and Flow Capacitors reduced.

Science skills depend on these depending on build and skill. The "dramatic" increase needs to be higher than the loss caused by this to make it a decent buff, if it doesn't then it is a nerf. Also given Cryptics past I am concerned this will affect other sci skills "accidentally".

===========================

As to the reason people aren't buying the shiny new ships could be because they consider them ugly, this is the reason I won't touch the intel ships, or they consider them to be not worth it for solo play.
  • Options
    rossclansforce1rossclansforce1 Member Posts: 400 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    There seems to be some posts saying this is a buff. You are right if you use Tachyon Beam. Everything else is getting a nerf due to this...

"Benefit that can be gained from Auxiliary Power and Flow Capacitors reduced."

How about this.. How many of you use Plasmonic Leach? Will it be affected? How about healing abilities? There are many items in the game that can be affected by this change. Yet it hasn't been mentioned. Everybody if focused on an ability that isn't being used much. Oh and don't forget aux power affect how fast pets are launched on carriers. To be honest I hope I am wrong.
    [img]>:)[/img]

Click to Join armadafleet.org/
  • Options
    decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    There seems to be some posts saying this is a buff. You are right if you use Tachyon Beam. Everything else is getting a nerf due to this...

"Benefit that can be gained from Auxiliary Power and Flow Capacitors reduced."

How about this.. How many of you use Plasmonic Leach? Will it be affected? How about healing abilities? There are many items in the game that can be affected by this change. Yet it hasn't been mentioned. Everybody if focused on an ability that isn't being used much. Oh and don't forget aux power affect how fast pets are launched on carriers.

Borticus has said this will only apply to this power, for now. It is the "for now" that concerns me. Also I wouldn't be suprised as I have said to see this change "accidentally" affect other skill that rely on them.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    hypl wrote: »
    Umm, sounds to me that they're actually making tachyon beam useful by increasing it's base magnitude and reducing cooldowns. And reducing benefits from aux and flow capacitors helps keep it in check.

Let's see how this plays out before grabbing the torches and pitchforks. Also, I didn't see this change on tribble. Not really a good idea to throw this on holodeck first... :rolleyes:

I was kind of hoping that they had learnt their lesson regarding throwing random updates to powers, without even 5 mins of testing...

I guess I was mistaken. :rolleyes:
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif