test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The time has finally come...

prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
This isn’t a ‘goodbye’ thread. I have no intention of deleting my account, etc. I just… am bored of the game, sad to say.

After running around to collect the Omega shards, etc. and getting my Kobali Cruiser (which, for an engineer officer, isn’t bad, really. My Rom will stick with her T5U Scim and my Sci Off with her Breen Carrier, but all in all the Kobali ship wasn’t that bad) I find myself now repeating missions, running the same things over and over again. Even the Foundry is starting to get a little dry for me. I’ll probably log into run Dust to Dust one final time to complete the Kobali set before taking a break.

I love Star Trek. Always have. Probably always will. I don’t mind the JJ Abrams vision as, although there are some story plot holes and rather idiotic faux pas (which fall more on the writers and story editors than the director) I found them entertaining enough. The game, however, I feel has become stagnant and repetitive, disappointingly so.

I’ll also continue to frequent the forums and toss in my two cents from time to time, see what changes are coming and possibly sneak into the game to see if any changes have actually occurred, all with the hopes that it will suddenly amaze me again. I do want to get my engineer to lvl 15 in all R&D schools… almost there, I may even try my hand at a few foundry missions myself… so no, I am not leaving the game forever… just taking a step back for a while, which saddens me greatly, to be honest… like coming to the conclusion that you have to break up with your partner because he/she just isn’t brining anything to the table any more. You’re still fond of them and care for them greatly, but the relationship just isn’t working any more.

I wonder how many other players, both long-time and new, feel the same way. I can’t imagine I am alone in this issue. Have others more or less left the game but still pop in here and there to see, just in case something wonderful has happened?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
Post edited by prierin on

Comments

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Can I have your stuffs?

More seriously, creating new content costs money. Hiring the Voyage actors costs money.

Cryptic can't possibly create new content fast enough to keep you from needing to repeat old content if you want to keep playing.

When you're tired of all the existing content, that's a signal to go away and do something else for awhile.
  • js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Can I have your stuffs?

More seriously, creating new content costs money. Hiring the Voyage actors costs money.

Cryptic can't possibly create new content fast enough to keep you from needing to repeat old content if you want to keep playing.

When you're tired of all the existing content, that's a signal to go away and do something else for awhile.

He just said he's going away for a while.

So why have you posted this?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • jackal1701apwjackal1701apw Member Posts: 669 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    i feel the same way
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

...#LLAP...
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,361 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Enjoy your break, and we'll hold the fort 'til you get back!
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    js26568 wrote: »
    He just said he's going away for a while.

So why have you posted this?

So I could have his stuffs, duh. Stuffs is gooder than no stuffs!
  • abystander0abystander0 Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Taking a break is always good. Go out and take a look at what else is out there. STO isn't going anywhere at the moment. The only things where you really might want to log in are the ones where you can get something special for a limited time only, such as a special ship.
  • jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    prierin wrote: »
    I wonder how many other players, both long-time and new, feel the same way. I can’t imagine I am alone in this issue. Have others more or less left the game but still pop in here and there to see, just in case something wonderful has happened?

I lost hope when the anniversary event was turned from a fun mission to a grind.

That knocked the wind out of my sails to be honest, and the winder event just gone was my last until some of the forced grinds are removed.

So for now, I'll collect my LTS Zen.
  • dpsloss88dpsloss88 Member Posts: 765 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    As long as my lifetime account keeps accumulating zen I will check back weekly to see if they stopped being epiclly greedy...
  • prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Yeah, I see the value in a LTS now.... had I bought it "back then".

Not going to lay down hundreds of $$$ 'just in case' get excited about the game agian....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lb45lb45 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    This isn’t a ‘goodbye’ thread. I have no intention of deleting my account, etc. I just… am bored of the game, sad to say.

After running around to collect the Omega shards, etc. and getting my Kobali Cruiser (which, for an engineer officer, isn’t bad, really. My Rom will stick with her T5U Scim and my Sci Off with her Breen Carrier, but all in all the Kobali ship wasn’t that bad) I find myself now repeating missions, running the same things over and over again. Even the Foundry is starting to get a little dry for me. I’ll probably log into run Dust to Dust one final time to complete the Kobali set before taking a break.

I love Star Trek. Always have. Probably always will. I don’t mind the JJ Abrams vision as, although there are some story plot holes and rather idiotic faux pas (which fall more on the writers and story editors than the director) I found them entertaining enough. The game, however, I feel has become stagnant and repetitive, disappointingly so.

I’ll also continue to frequent the forums and toss in my two cents from time to time, see what changes are coming and possibly sneak into the game to see if any changes have actually occurred, all with the hopes that it will suddenly amaze me again. I do want to get my engineer to lvl 15 in all R&D schools… almost there, I may even try my hand at a few foundry missions myself… so no, I am not leaving the game forever… just taking a step back for a while, which saddens me greatly, to be honest… like coming to the conclusion that you have to break up with your partner because he/she just isn’t brining anything to the table any more. You’re still fond of them and care for them greatly, but the relationship just isn’t working any more.

Your not the only one that feels that way. I usually come back when there's a event or something worth doing.

Things I do like are the ships and space combat. The story is so so, some good some bad but none were too memorable.

What sucks is the player made ones has no voice overs, kind of disappointed in that. That and the mindless grind for x currency. Also the way cryptic been handling things, meh. It is what it is and I play less because of it.
  • linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    "Star Trek: Online" was originally a great game. As we get further away from Season 5, 6, and 7, the more I realize that "Star Trek" belongs on television. "Star Trek" is not about mall styled space stations, reputation systems, heavy grinding, time-gates, and hollow experiences. "Star Trek: Online" does have "Star Trek" based elements; however, the game will never-ever be able to recapture the franchise's essence.

On the other hand, "Star Trek" and "Star Wars" have pretty much run their course. During the first ten years of the new millennium, "Stargate: SG-1" and "Stargate: Atlantis" laid the ground work for an entirely new science-fiction generation.

JJ's version of "Star Trek" is trying to recapture the glory days. "Star Trek '09" and "Star Trek: Into Darkness" were all about repackaging old concepts. Do you know what the problem is? JJ's version of "Star Trek" represents the overall issue. Instead of discovering new worlds and species, JJ's movies recycled old species, civilizations, and stories. ...and, that is what caused "Star Trek: Enterprise" to become cancelled.

Franchise fatigue is what killed the "Star Trek" brand.

"Star Trek", the franchise, needs to take a thirty to forty year hiatus.
    jockey1979 wrote: »
    I lost hope when the anniversary event was turned from a fun mission to a grind.

That knocked the wind out of my sails to be honest, and the winder event just gone was my last until some of the forced grinds are removed.

*nods*

"Star Trek: Online '15" is not the same as "Star Trek: Online '11".

I miss the hourly calender events.

Anniversary ship giveaways made me feel appreciated. Once the anniversary was turned into a grinding event, I realized that Cryptic only cared about 'the whales'. Although you and I had spent allot of money, the reality is that $300-$600 means nothing to Cryptic.
  • pulserazorpulserazor Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I bet you wouldnt be bored if you thought you could realistically make it to level 60 on a new character (or an pre dr 50) in the same amount of time you could make it through the last 10 levels of any other game's progression. Hell, double the time. Triple. Quadruple.

Would you still be bored if you could do lowly advanced runs with random people in the ques without being almost certain to fail in the first 2 minutes?

Would you still be bored if STO hadent been reduced to Argala Patrols and Crystalline Entity runs?

Or is that just me?
  • prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    pulserazor wrote: »
    I bet you wouldnt be bored if you thought you could realistically make it to level 60 on a new character (or an pre dr 50) in the same amount of time you could make it through the last 10 levels of any other game's progression. Hell, double the time. Triple. Quadruple.

Would you still be bored if you could do lowly advanced runs with random people in the ques without being almost certain to fail in the first 2 minutes?

Would you still be bored if STO hadent been reduced to Argala Patrols and Crystalline Entity runs?

Or is that just me?

That would be nice, sure. I miss PUGging... but I hate autofail.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Or is that just me?
    have you tried leveling past 60 in Diablo 2? O_o'
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • shadoreshadore Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    A few times I've left for a few months and then come back to find a bunch of brand new accumulated content. I'm still playing through the "new" delta quadrant after coming back from a hiatus some days ago. Have fun wherever your journey takes you. I'm sure your stuff will only probably be obsolete by the time you come back.
  • theredcomettheredcomet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Does anyone here really need to hear the voyager cast? how about creating more content that's fun to play instead of those precious few minutes of voice acting or smartphone mini-games?
  • walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Or is that just me?

Are you kidding? STO's leveling is still generous compared to many others even post Delta Rising. Final Fantasy XI was a slog...
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    walshicus wrote: »
    Final Fantasy XI was a slog...
    And was a dinosaur by Western standards even when it was released.

FFXIV is far faster to level in. It's still reasonably demanding of skill, however. Positioning is a major component of many higher level battles, even outside of end-game content (actually, to train you for end-game content).
    linyive wrote: »
    On the other hand, "Star Trek" and "Star Wars" have pretty much run their course. During the first ten years of the new millennium, "Stargate: SG-1" and "Stargate: Atlantis" laid the ground work for an entirely new science-fiction generation.
    You must really like Stargate. It was alright. There were other, better series out there, several more innovative. Stargate did have a good combination of (some) quality actors alongside decent production values.

But, comparatively, BSG marked what should have been a paradigm shift in how Hollywood approaches sci-fi.
    and, that is what caused "Star Trek: Enterprise" to become cancelled.
    Enterprise managed to get itself cancelled all on its own.

I'd love to know who selected that theme song. They went all Plaxico Burress on it.
    Franchise fatigue is what killed the "Star Trek" brand.
    Personally, I think the writers and executives involved in the IP failed to read the changing times; they tried to embrace the Trek they had grown up with in the 60s and 70s, reduxed for 90s PC culture, and it turned out to be extremely shallow.

I mean, they didn't even have the presence of mind to use the intro monologue in DS9 or Voyager. What fools.

But, there definitely was an oversaturation of Trek for a solid decade or more. One could almost be persuaded that CBS had been trying to cash in for all it was worth.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2015

also still on my break from sto, keep wanting to finish the samsar cruiser q thing, but each time something else more interesting is taking my attention away. now have 10 days to do it and the most laughable thing is that it only takes 10 minutes a day to complete it at most. so i got no excuse to not of already done it, except the that i had a internet fault line almost lasting a week and a hard crash of the hdd requiring a complete format. so really, a few days recently was my doing.

why you feel any need to explain yourself to anyone for your taking a break, i can not understand. what you do is your business.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • lored2deathlored2death Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    jockey1979 wrote: »

^ this. The anniversary showed me Cryptic's direction and they are going full steam ahead with the grind. This anniversary took the wind from my sails as well... And it makes me A little bit sad. STO was the bee's knees for me and my friends pre-DR.
  • mikearoomikearoo Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Don't worry OP, your stuff is safe for you to take a break, its all bound to account anyway, we couldn't have any of it anyway! :p
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    On the other hand, "Star Trek" and "Star Wars" have pretty much run their course. During the first ten years of the new millennium, "Stargate: SG-1" and "Stargate: Atlantis" laid the ground work for an entirely new science-fiction generation..

SG-1 and Atlantis laid the groundwork, all right. And Universe went and demolished it. :(
    You must really like Stargate. It was alright. There were other, better series out there, several more innovative. Stargate did have a good combination of (some) quality actors alongside decent production values.

Well, I still get a kick out of watching most SGA or SG-1 episodes, so I guess it got something right. :D
    But, comparatively, BSG marked what should have been a paradigm shift in how Hollywood approaches sci-fi.

Wasn't Universe pretty much BSG with Stargates, though? Not a very good paradigm shift, that. :P

Anyway, on topic: Now that I have the Samsars, I'm pretty much taking the same approach. I do log in when I can't think of anything else to do - fight a couple of skirmishes, then get out. Not even bothering to do anything that would be considered 'endgame', though - I went through Korfez (a lot of luck saw me win my second run :D) and an ISA, but have yet to use any of the stuff I got out of it.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    dalolorn wrote: »
    Wasn't Universe pretty much BSG with Stargates, though?
    I couldn't tell you. I never watched more than a few minutes of Universe. I always figured they got stuck on the ship and just didn't know how to get back home.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I couldn't tell you. I never watched more than a few minutes of Universe. I always figured they got stuck on the ship and just didn't know how to get back home.

That was the gist of it - wandering the galaxy, blah blah blah, everybody suspects everybody else is a villain...

Edit: Basically, in my eyes, SG-1 and SGA were sort of like DS9's non-Prophet parts. You have really light-hearted episodes, like 'Window of Opportunity' (or 'Little Green Men'), you have some comparably insignificant episodes exploring the inner workings of a specific planet - some do advance the overall plot, but others don't ('The Torment of Tantalus' or 'Children of Time'), you have big battles ('Camelot' or 'Way of the Warrior'), and you have a season-spanning struggle to defeat a superior opponent. (Apophis, Goa'uld in general, Apophis again, Anubis with a touch of Replicators and the Ori, or the Dominion. Admittedly, DS9's early seasons focused more on struggling to keep things running. :D)

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'll be taking a break from the game at the end of the Anniversary event, but for the opposite reasons to your own - I'm enjoying myself and playing too much! There's other things I'd like to get done, other games I'd like to play, a short visit to reality, but I can't do those things, as I'm playing STO too much... So I'll be taking a month or two off, get some stuff done, then I'll be right back in, hurting things and breaking people!
  • fudgemonkfudgemonk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    *hands over a tissue*

Cry me a river,10 minutes A DAY at the most you call a grind?

Rofl,you kids sure like to complain about everything,not me,for 10 minutes of my time during 16 days i got myself a cool T6 cruiser so im going bow to cryptic and thank them for my FREE ship.
    You can go ahead and maybe join an MMO GYM,i mean if after a long long tired grind of 10 minutes a day you say somhing like this and i quote "This anniversary took the wind from my sails as well..."...maybe playing mmos isnt for you...

I'm sure most people complaining about the grind are new to mmos. There is a grind for sure but it's all pretty doable.
  • forcemajeureforcemajeure Member Posts: 212 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    No game can remain fresh and new forever after you've been in it for a year or three.

Also, I find the new location-based Foundry popups offer quite a lot of variety.

Sometimes you do just need to take a break. Go play some MechWarror Online (for action) or The Secret World (for story and atmosphere) or whatever turns your fancy.

After a while you will likely feel an urge to fly your space pixels once again...
  • walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Universe ended up being the best Stargate show, despite only running for 2 series. They absolutely nailed series 2 and the time travel episodes.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
This discussion has been closed.