test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Spam E-Mail from Cryptic / PWE

robertcrayvenrobertcrayven Member Posts: 355 Arc User
So this afternoon, I was treated to yet another spam e-mail from Cryptic Studios / PWE, which contained a nonsensical and poorly-executed pun centered around a homonym for an obscenity - to wit: "Customize the Ship Out of It!"

Aside from the fact that the above subject line was crass and in poor taste, I have repeatedly attempted to unsubscribe from these spam messages over the last 18 months or so, but the "unsubscribe" link doesn't seem to actually unsubscribe me from the spam lists. We are already bombarded with enough in-game and Facebook-based advertising for the latest Skinner Boxes and Zen sales; I don't need these messages also filling up my e-mail box.

Does anyone know of any alternate methods to getting off the Cryptic / PWE spam lists when the Unsubscribe button decides to take the day off?

Thanks!
Post edited by robertcrayven on

Comments

• Options
    bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Odd, I have never, EVER, gotten emails from PWE or Cryptic, unless it was a password reset, or something else I had actually asked for. I think you may be on a spambots lists, and they are posing as something you have an interest in. Spammers can be very creative this way.
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • Options
    gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    bloodyriz wrote: »
    Odd, I have never, EVER, gotten emails from PWE or Cryptic, unless it was a password reset, or something else I had actually asked for. I think you may be on a spambots lists, and they are posing as something you have an interest in. Spammers can be very creative this way.

It's legit, (Poorly done and in bad taste, but legit) and one you had to opt into. Mind, I wouldn't call it spam. I get maybe six e-mails a year.
  • Options
    bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    gonalius wrote: »
    It's legit, (Poorly done and in bad taste, but legit) and one you had to opt into. Mind, I wouldn't call it spam. I get maybe six e-mails a year.

Ahh so it is something you had to ask for then. Guess I am glad I always say no to things like this on sign ups.
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • Options
    rjay1985rjay1985 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It is a legitimate email from a legitimate company, one whose product you use. This means it is not spam, but an email notice about a new product, feature, or service. In fact, this thread more resembles spam than the PWE email we received this morning.
  • Options
    robertcrayvenrobertcrayven Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Ahh so it is something you had to ask for then. Guess I am glad I always say no to things like this on sign ups.

Unfortunately, they got my e-mail address back when this game was in beta - and there's been no apparent way to reclaim it from them ever since.
    rjay1985 wrote: »
    It is a legitimate email from a legitimate company, one whose product you use. This means it is not spam, but an email notice about a new product, feature, or service. In fact, this thread more resembles spam than the PWE email we received this morning.

Hey, if you enjoy their mass marketing that much, shoot me your e-mail address - since I can't stop the messages, I'll be happy to set up a rule to auto-forward them to you. Good spam should never go to waste. There are starving people in the world, after all.
  • Options
    cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,524 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Any unwanted solicited e-mail is considered spam in my opinion. If you can't unsubscribe, block their e-mail address and report it as junk.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    If you do block PWE/Cryptic from your email you might be TRIBBLE up in the long run. Cause the emails from the Account guard, or password resets could be deleted as spam.

Just pointing that out.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    People must be running out of new material. Of all the things to criticize Cryptic/PWE for, I would think an email advertisement would be pretty far down the list.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    So this afternoon, I was treated to yet another spam e-mail from Cryptic Studios / PWE, which contained a nonsensical and poorly-executed pun centered around a homonym for an obscenity - to wit: "Customize the Ship Out of It!"

Aside from the fact that the above subject line was crass and in poor taste, I have repeatedly attempted to unsubscribe from these spam messages over the last 18 months or so, but the "unsubscribe" link doesn't seem to actually unsubscribe me from the spam lists. We are already bombarded with enough in-game and Facebook-based advertising for the latest Skinner Boxes and Zen sales; I don't need these messages also filling up my e-mail box.

Does anyone know of any alternate methods to getting off the Cryptic / PWE spam lists when the Unsubscribe button decides to take the day off?

Thanks!

reads as if someone is attempting to fool you into thinking its official by making it look official, but you would know straight up from official mail addresses that if it dont match the ones they have then its a phishing type of mail where upon opening the email you unleash some unwanted malware on your computer, pressing the link for example would set it off in knowing the person on the other end would know you wouldnt want to be harassed by this email stuff. so be more careful in the future when opening this type of thing because if i were in your position i would block the email sender through outlooks settings before i even took full notice of the email address well before opening, failing that leave the email to rot and start a new one up and merely shift the account to the new email.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Simple solution, it's called junk mail and, here we than list it as phishing scam!

Problem solved!
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The email is official, many of us got it including me.

If the 6-8 emails a year are just so horrible for you to deal with, then remove Cryptic from your safe list and let it filter to your junk mail.

It's really not a big deal at all.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    What I personally find most deplorable about that particular email is the bit about customizing the ship. Reason being is that you can only really customize it IF you buy all three ships of the same faction. IMHO, customization behind a paywall is no customization.
  • Options
    john98837john98837 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Anti spam people always give me a good laugh. You hit delete, takes all of 1 second, and your done, get over it.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    scififan78 wrote: »
    What I personally find most deplorable about that particular email is the bit about customizing the ship. Reason being is that you can only really customize it IF you buy all three ships of the same faction. IMHO, customization behind a paywall is no customization.

I share this objection as well. If I want to have any customization on my T6 ships (Intel or Command) I have to buy all 3 ships in that pack. Ridiculous. I don't get why you can't make your $30 ship look however you want.
    john98837 wrote: »
    Anti spam people always give me a good laugh. You hit delete, takes all of 1 second, and your done, get over it.

Agreed, it took far more time to make this silly thread then it would to just delete the email and forget about it. Especially considering it will be weeks or even months before they send another one.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    john98837 wrote: »

until you fall for the unexpected.. but hey you want to not look before you walk be my guest, not that i expect someone like you to care, and thats the problem when it comes. i could pity you but id sooner laugh?
    Agreed, it took far more time to make this silly thread then it would to just delete the email and forget about it. Especially considering it will be weeks or even months before they send another one.

you telling us you set up this thread to spam and troll with your second account? :P
    wonder what would happen if i reported it to the mods.. and from the previous quote about a lack of caring.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    How much of a prude do you have to be to find that crass?
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    you telling us you set up this thread to spam and troll with your second account? :P
    wonder what would happen if i reported it to the mods.. and from the previous quote about a lack of caring.

WTF are you even talking about?

This is my one and only account and I didn't start the thread. If you want to 'report me' you knock yourself out sparky.

Report away!:rolleyes:
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    scififan78 wrote: »

Nonsense. Customization behind a paywall is still customization.

There are people that customize their cars - do you think that is free?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Nonsense. Customization behind a paywall is still customization.

There are people that customize their cars - do you think that is free?

You're not being serious right?

Because that's comparing Apples and Motor Oil.

Of course customizing a car isn't free, that's why commercials show prices starting at X or they say it cost X 'as equipped' in the commercial. Everyone knows that cars cost extra to customize and they don't hide the cost.

But if we want to use your example..

The email tells you you can get this ship and it's totally customizable, but doesn't tell you that the customization options require purchase of another ship for the same price. In your comparison, it would be like going in and buying a Honda Accord and they tell you that if you want the Sun Roof you have to buy a second Accord that already has a Sun Roof.

It wasn't deceptive to me, because I already realize how this flawed system works, but the point that it's not the most clear or honest method of advertizing is pretty valid. They're selling this ship based on the fact that it's customizable, when by itself.. it's not.
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    walshicus wrote: »
    How much of a prude do you have to be to find that crass?
    ****, no more of a prude than this forum's own filters...
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    You're not being serious right?

Because that's comparing Apples and Motor Oil.

Of course customizing a car isn't free, that's why commercials show prices starting at X or they say it cost X 'as equipped' in the commercial. Everyone knows that cars cost extra to customize and they don't hide the cost.

But if we want to use your example..

The email tells you you can get this ship and it's totally customizable, but doesn't tell you that the customization options require purchase of another ship for the same price. In your comparison, it would be like going in and buying a Honda Accord and they tell you that if you want the Sun Roof you have to buy a second Accord that already has a Sun Roof.

It wasn't deceptive to me, because I already realize how this flawed system works, but the point that it's not the most clear or honest method of advertizing is pretty valid. They're selling this ship based on the fact that it's customizable, when by itself.. it's not.
    "Fully customizable" is a pretty ill-defined term - because you can still only pick from the limited options the game has for each ship. And you can change patterns, materials, colors and window even without buying additional ships.

The rest is basically the typical marketing bull****, like "washes whiter than white"...
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    coors3coors3 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    rjay1985 wrote: »

The OP has tried to use the tools provided to unsubscribe, yet said tools do nothing. It is unwanted e-mail communication. Doesn't matter if it from a legitamate company, or if you happened to buy something from that company 59 years ago. The opt out function apparently doesn't work or is being ignored. If the company is legitamate, they would honor the request to stop the un-wanted comunications. Call it what you will, spam, communication, doesn't matter. They were asked to stop and they have not.
  • Options
    gamer940gamer940 Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    coors3 wrote: »
    The OP has tried to use the tools provided to unsubscribe, yet said tools do nothing. It is unwanted e-mail communication. Doesn't matter if it from a legitamate company, or if you happened to buy something from that company 59 years ago. The opt out function apparently doesn't work or is being ignored. If the company is legitamate, they would honor the request to stop the un-wanted comunications. Call it what you will, spam, communication, doesn't matter. They were asked to stop and they have not.

Then cry a river, build a bridge and get over it. Seriously, is this how far the Modern Gamer community has fallen, ******** about something as asinine as this? Oh how whiny and entitled gamers are these days.
  • Options
    pwecaptainsmirkpwecaptainsmirk Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    This was not a phishing scam, but thank you for the report about the unsubscribe.

I will check with Captain Kiki about it's functionality and see if we can take care of this.

~CaptainSmirk
  • Options
    prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Weird - I've never recieved "spam" email from Cryptic.

However, I have to agree with an earlier post: if you attempt to unsubscribe and the emails keep coming, it's spam, regardless if you signed up for something or not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    So one has to wonder why you are having a hissy-fit over the wording of an email that only gets sent out to members of the STO community, but you are perfectly okay with the general public being "mislead"

1. At no point do I throw a 'hissy fit,' I simply state my opinion. For future reference, just because someone poses a view that differs from yours it does not automatically mean they are whining or throwing a fit. It's a calm and respectful dialogue, so I'm not sure why you feel this way.

2. I never said I'm ok with anyone being misled, in fact I feel the exact opposite. I believe that the way things are worded in their advertisements is sometimes ambiguous. I assure you that I understand the way the system works, I just feel that the method used to convey this information isn't always clear. It's never safe to just assume that players already understand the customization mechanic and base the wording on that assumption.

While I don't personally feel misled, I can understand how someone who didn't already know might derive unrealistic expectations from the email the way it's written. I understand it, but I won't assume that everyone does.

I don't believe they're being intentionally deceptive, I do however, believe they are assuming a certain level of understanding on the part of the reader that not everyone necessarily has.
  • Options
    the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited February 2015

I do constantly. I left NWO months ago because of their blatanlty Korean style enchantment system but I continue to get emails from them even though I've unsubbed like a million times.

It's bad enough you're changing this game to make it a mobile app farmville thing but please don't bother us with this nonsense and actually fix your links on your website.

Have you ever tried to contact support and it sends you into a repeating loop on every browser out there?!?!??!

Even PWE's support website is RNG because you may or may not even be able to contact them about anything!
  • Options
    englishnodenglishnod Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Yeah but it takes all of one second to flag emails from Cryptic as spam using your emails spam tools and you never have to see it again.

I know some whiner is gonna say, "But what if they send something important? I won't see it if I flag it as spam!"

Well you're not gonna see it anyway if you unsubscribe from their mailing list. DERP! :rolleyes:

erm just a slight correction, unsubscribing from the mailing list should not interfere with the "password reset" and "important emails" from cryptic/pwe so they will still get those when required.
    OR at least one would hope, given that the OP cannot unsubscribe this might be questionable LOL

Besides i agree with flagging it as spam it does take mere seconds to do and if they are need a password reset or other assistance from cryptic that they are expecting they can always check that spam box any ways.
    Also most email spam filters should give you the ability to spam on emails on content as well as email address.
    This would work rather well considering that the OP can not unsubscribe from the mailing list at least until it has been investigated and fixed if it requires it.