test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

THe real QOL we need: Weapon Power energy setting as the default

mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
The new gear transition model might help some people, I don't know.

But what we really need is that weapon power is the default energy setting. It's the standard error even the most experienced players make - get a new ship, equip it as you see fit, put in the right BOs, jump into battle, and wonder why it takes forever, until you realize you forgot to set the energy setting. Especially since it can't be set at the ship selector or an a ground map, it's a very, very easy mistake to make.

But most of the builds in the game benefit from high weapon power first. The few that don't aren't helped by balanced energy settings either. But lots of newbies will probably benefit considerably since suddenly they'll deal more damage which usually helps much more than a bit better shield settings.

Also, I'd find it very helpful if there was a way to default all weapon buttons in the power trays into a different row than the first 4 rows. They clutter the power tray and make organizing it extra work.
Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I was dying all the time recently at level 60 in my Breen Frigate, UNTIL I switched to balanced power mode. The damnable ship was just too fragile versus certain (Romulan) enemies to survive in weapons mode.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Heh, I put this specific request in the original tribble thread, in the bug reports thread, and in the live announcements thread.

I also said we need weapons to default to autofire.

I got like one person saying it was a good idea in one thread. *sigh*

Hopefully you have more success than I did, it's a great idea and would help a ton of people.
    edited February 2015
    gonalius wrote: »
    I was dying all the time recently at level 60 in my Breen Frigate, UNTIL I switched to balanced power mode. The damnable ship was just too fragile versus certain (Romulan) enemies to survive in weapons mode.

Your build, not your power settings are the culprit. I've run the plesh brek in weapons mode with TRIBBLE gear (jemmy set and Mk 10 & 11 weapons/consoles) in advanced queues and vs delta enemies in missions with no troubles. It is a raider, so it is squishy, but post a build help thread in the right shipyard and you'll see, it can be made to take quite a surprising bit of punishment.

Little tricks like use rotate shield frequency when you have damage, not before, or use a shield heal after tactical team to multiply the points of healing from one use of the power by 4, etc go a long way.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Pardon my ignorance (just came back to the game a couple months ago) but isnt that just a click away,i mean i always remember to change my power settings to whatever i need when i get on a new ship.

Is there something im missing? you asking for something else?

If its only that i dont see it as a big deal,load your ship with the gear it needs and then just click on the preset settings and you're done.

Dont take this post as me trolling or flaming,just wondering what you meant.

Cheers
    It is still something that is easily forgotten in my experience.

And it's not necessarily something obvious to new players, and it will most likely immediately benefit their gameplay, even before they really understand what power levels do.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Your build, not your power settings are the culprit. I've run the plesh brek in weapons mode with TRIBBLE gear (jemmy set and Mk 10 & 11 weapons/consoles) in advanced queues and vs delta enemies in missions with no troubles. It is a raider, so it is squishy, but post a build help thread in the right shipyard and you'll see, it can be made to take quite a surprising bit of punishment.

Little tricks like use rotate shield frequency when you have damage, not before, or use a shield heal after tactical team to multiply the points of healing from one use of the power by 4, etc go a long way.

Oh my build is pretty bad - Partly because as long as I can kill stuff, I don't care. But mainly because except for a Borg Cutting Beam, I don't think I've ever bought any equipment for Dilithium. I save it all for Zen. I never run advanced queues, so that's never been a problem... Till now.

(My problem was running the new Romulan revamp. D'deridex Cruisers sucked away my front shield in a second or so, then followed up with torpedo spam. It also doesn't help that I like cannons (My new characters are all pro-beam, but my original 3? Cannons all the way), so I can't stand off far enough away to counter their tactics). But that's not the point, running in balanced or shield mode made me much more likely to survive the initial onslaught, after which I could generally come back. It's the first few seconds that were the killer.
  • hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    One way to fix this could be a simple Boff popup on the side of the screen reminding the player about it. Not the obnoxious central pop-up with click-options, but the ones on the side where they usually make running commentary (Q's statements while cruising Sector Space being the most obvious example).

Such as:

If enemies are within 20 km or less, your Tac Boff would pop up stating: "Sir/Ma'am (or just Captain or [Rank]), enemies detected within range. I recommend focusing power to Weapons."

Of course, if Cryptic could be more imaginative and willing, have the prompt change when piloting a Science ship, such as having a Science Boff pop-up stating "[Rank], enemies detected within range. I recommend powering up Auxiliary."

Or something. Both would just be a reminder, and both would be a little more immersive for those wanting more Boff visibility.
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Newb traps in general need to go away but this one also catches anyone flying a mission specific ship.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    edited February 2015
    Oh my build is pretty bad - Partly because as long as I can kill stuff, I don't care. But mainly because except for a Borg Cutting Beam, I don't think I've ever bought any equipment for Dilithium. I save it all for Zen. I never run advanced queues, so that's never been a problem... Till now.

(My problem was running the new Romulan revamp. D'deridex Cruisers sucked away my front shield in a second or so, then followed up with torpedo spam. It also doesn't help that I like cannons (My new characters are all pro-beam, but my original 3? Cannons all the way), so I can't stand off far enough away to counter their tactics). But that's not the point, running in balanced or shield mode made me much more likely to survive the initial onslaught, after which I could generally come back. It's the first few seconds that were the killer.

Tactical team 1 and attack pattern omega will save your bacon. Especially tactical team.
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I would not want the implementation of this to mess up my aux cannon build on my Vesta... O_O There is a good reason for me to be maxing aux instead of weapons...

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
    edited February 2015
    gulberat wrote: »
    I would not want the implementation of this to mess up my aux cannon build on my Vesta... O_O There is a good reason for me to be maxing aux instead of weapons...

Then you clearly already changed away from the default setting of "balanced". How would changing the default you don't use to a different default you a!so don't use impact your Vesta?

Granted, given the way loadouts break anything is possible.
  • bobtheskull99bobtheskull99 Member Posts: 706 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    yeah, lets get rid of all the science ships while we are at it....

at least theres an autosetting for weapon power...unlike aux :(
    edited February 2015
    gulberat wrote: »

I think that is what is called an "edge case" in the business.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Yeah in that case i would have to agree,but in my humble opinion just a simple coding modification more like adding a pop up window everytime you get on a new ship would be enough dont you think?

Although im guessing a lot of those players would just click on the top X and just close the window without even reading what it says...ive been guilty of that a couple of times hehe

A context-sensitive but mission-independent popup is probably more work than setting a different default energy level.

Another good candidate. Do we need a balanced setting.. ever?

I always turn the balanced setting into my Aux settings. (Well, on Science Vessels only).
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited February 2015

The default energy power level is set to balanced.
    Which is bad for energy weapon based ship, AND sci ships.

Quite frankly, every player that have a modicum of skill will set his power level to custom level. I don't think I've used any default setup for years. Unless when I forget to switch them (happened once).

So yeah, I fully support this feature. A default power level with max weapons would be great.
    That means, a default power level when you never changed yours, so vets ships wouldn't be affected.

Obviously, in a perfect world. Since it's Cryptic, loadout will probably break again, alongside some previous stuff.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Boff power selection fail, and general player fail.
    How efficient of you.
  • nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited February 2015

You have some serious problems with skill level. The weapons default puts shields as 2nd priority, giving you more shields than balanced, so your argument is more wrong than you think.

Only those just on the edge of "good enough" have issues with newer content.
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • kyeto13kyeto13 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Pardon my ignorance (just came back to the game a couple months ago) but isnt that just a click away,i mean i always remember to change my power settings to whatever i need when i get on a new ship.

Is there something im missing? you asking for something else?

If its only that i dont see it as a big deal,load your ship with the gear it needs and then just click on the preset settings and you're done.

Dont take this post as me trolling or flaming,just wondering what you meant.

Cheers

This!!!

It's really not the hard anyways. And personally, I fiddle with my powers off the presets in order to get the most bang for my buck. Also, for science vessels, shouldn't it be more power devoted to Aux rather than weapons.
    Live on Earth. Work in Space. Play with Dragons. Join the best add on to STO, the Neverwinter holodeck program! Only 14 GPL a month.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Auto-power settings suck. This is really something people need to figure out for themselves. Not in a tough-love kinda sense, but simply because power settings need to be adjusted, per ship, to the gear you have on it, and fine-tuned to where a Deflector that gives, say, more shield power, can cause you to lower your shield power a bit, and such. All to where weps will be max (under almost all circumstances), and you'll get at least to 75 power in all subsystems when in battle.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited February 2015
    kyeto13 wrote: »
    This!!!

It's really not the hard anyways. And personally, I fiddle with my powers off the presets in order to get the most bang for my buck. Also, for science vessels, shouldn't it be more power devoted to Aux rather than weapons.

Someone starting out with a T1 science ship if just going to be demolishing things with their GWIII out of the gate if there was a default aux setting for science ships.

Oh, wait, low tier ships don't have the boffs seats to do that. Good thing new players start in T5 ships...
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Auto-power settings suck. This is really something people need to figure out for themselves. Not in a tough-love kinda sense, but simply because power settings need to be adjusted, per ship, to the gear you have on it, and fine-tuned to where a Deflector that gives, say, more shield power, can cause you to lower your shield power a bit, and such. All to where weps will be max (under almost all circumstances), and you'll get at least to 75 power in all subsystems when in battle.

Plasmonic leech consoles come standard now?
  • sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The new gear transition model might help some people, I don't know.

But what we really need is that weapon power is the default energy setting. It's the standard error even the most experienced players make - get a new ship, equip it as you see fit, put in the right BOs, jump into battle, and wonder why it takes forever, until you realize you forgot to set the energy setting. Especially since it can't be set at the ship selector or an a ground map, it's a very, very easy mistake to make.

I've done this at least half a dozen times. New ship, throw weapons on, "Let's see what it can do." Then be disappointed, until I notice my power settings. Not every time, but enough to be at least a 50/50 chance. :D
    edited February 2015
    Because I am one of the torp boat 0.01% upper crust super elite, I lock my weapon power at the minimum setting and still face roll everyone I meet

:cool:

As one of the torp boat 99% I lock my weapons power to minimum and my engine power to max so I can be the big ball of (my own) plasma fire streaking through the sky.

The one thing we'd have in common is that setting Weapons to be the default instead of Balanced would mean nothing to us.
    edited February 2015
    meimeitoo wrote: »

A person can only figure this out if they even know there is an option to do it at all. Ridcullys idea about a popup would be ideal, but u til then, changing from balanced to weapons will hurt no one (unless it comes with bugs or cryptic decides to add me features) and will give many newbs (but not noobs) a better game experience, and will have the side effect of help I g us forgetful folks too.

In theory, its a pure win. As long as cryptic doesn't try to add new features.