Options

I dont get it .. People hoarded marks to turn in at DIL event

124»

Comments

• Options
    lored2deathlored2death Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    raeat wrote: »
    Judging from everything I have seen and read, the players could use an Appreciation Day.

We've sure had enough Bend Over & Take It days.

This.

/10char
  • Options
    maddscottmaddscott Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Yeah...isn't that kind of the point, rewarding players for regularly logging in and playing?

Greetings All..

I just had a new Rom/KDF toon complete all 6 Rep areas yesterday (2/9/15). I did not get any bonus dil on any of the Rep areas, and for Omega, only received 9,000 dil.

This toon was actively grinding the Rep system and did not have any T5 Rep "waiting" to turn in, It just happened to comple the final T5 daily, completed the "upgrade" mission, and I turned in the Rep.

Seems to me the "wizards" at Cryptic/PWE should have been able to determine who was stashing and who was grinding the Rep system..

They were able to "track" and "adjust" players that were allegedely exploiting Tau Dewar Sector patrols.. Alas, instead, in their infinite wisdom, just slammed the whole player base with the Nerf..

Oh well.. they did extend the Dil weekend. :) .
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    maddscott wrote: »

Seems to me the "wizards" at Cryptic/PWE should have been able to determine who was stashing and who was grinding the Rep system..

They were able to "track" and "adjust" players that were allegedely exploiting Tau Dewar Sector patrols.. Alas, instead, in their infinite wisdom, just slammed the whole player base with the Nerf..

Not sure how this should work ... there are several possibities ...

1. You started Reps, exactly 40 days ago
    1a. By Coincident
    1b. Checking the Calender, and deliberately timing your "Grinding" so it's done during Dil-Weekend, which would make you an "Exploiter" again (at least, some might say so)

2. You started grinding months ago, took a break here and there etc ...
    2a. You simply took a break because you were on vacation, had better things to do etc ...
    2b. Again "deliberately timing" ... i.E. stopped several weeks ago at 97,500/100.000 Rep-XP

-> How is Cryptic supposed to know, unless they send people spying on you ... if you really didn't have the time to play etc ...

but nvm since the whole thing is pretty ridiculous imho, thats probably the next step ;)
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    jermbotjermbot Member Posts: 801 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Not sure how this should work ... there are several possibities ...

1. You started Reps, exactly 40 days ago
    1a. By Coincident
    1b. Checking the Calender, and deliberately timing your "Grinding" so it's done during Dil-Weekend, which would make you an "Exploiter" again (at least, some might say so)

2. You started grinding months ago, took a break here and there etc ...
    2a. You simply took a break because you were on vacation, had better things to do etc ...
    2b. Again "deliberately timing" ... i.E. stopped several weeks ago at 97,500/100.000 Rep-XP

-> How is Cryptic supposed to know, unless they send people spying on you ... if you really didn't have the time to play etc ...

but nvm since the whole thing is pretty ridiculous imho, thats probably the next step ;)

I don't think a punitive response is necessary either since I don't think the mark hoarders really did anything against the rules, their behavior was just not the behavior that Cryptic wanted to reward with the dilithium bonus event. And as more and more people learned the trick, it became more representative of how the dilithium bonus for reputation mark turn-ins would be handled.

And while sure, it sucks that Cryptic's solution to the apparently rampant mark hoarding was to ruin the experience of a player like Madscott who apparently acted in the manner Cryptic would prefer by actually playing reputation mark granting events during the week. And yes, I place the fault for that at both the feet of Cryptic, for not finding a better solution and the mark hoarders, for using an exploit that, while not against the rules of the dilithium weekned, was definitely against the spirit of the dilithium weekend. Cryptic can still find a better solution than just blanket removing the dilithium reward. Maybe coding in a dilithium reward for all mark granting activities during the dilithium weekend. But I don't think punishing all the people who had learned to game the system between the first dilithium weekend and this most recent one is fair, or even a good idea.
  • Options
    datacookdatacook Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    maddscott wrote: »
    Greetings All..

I just had a new Rom/KDF toon complete all 6 Rep areas yesterday (2/9/15). I did not get any bonus dil on any of the Rep areas, and for Omega, only received 9,000 dil.

This toon was actively grinding the Rep system and did not have any T5 Rep "waiting" to turn in, It just happened to comple the final T5 daily, completed the "upgrade" mission, and I turned in the Rep.

Oh well.. they did extend the Dil weekend. :) .

Omega has always been worth 9k
  • Options
    decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Because the event isn't to reward you for stuff you did 4 months ago. It's about getting people to actively play the game on the event. And "active" play is not exactly hopping characters and turning in hundreds of marks.

*cough*Contraband hand in*cough* *cough*mining claims*cough*

Also I do the Rommy mission that is required to get the dil reward during the event and don't get a bonus yet I am playing the mission. Go figure.
  • Options
    roadghostroadghost Member Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I admit it, I hoard marks, I hoard Contraband. Shoot I even hoard the jackets from Q's Wonderland, I have like 50 in my inventory right now. I hoard dilithium, that I buy with my stipend. Dangit I hoard everything. I have been running Mk XI purple gear since STFs first came out, because I don't want to spend my marks for the Mk XIIs when I can still pull 15-20k dps with the XI's. My fleet's starbase is still at tier 2 because I'm the only active member and I can't bring myself to spend my Fleet Marks or Dilithium to upgrade it. I MIGHT NEED THEM LATER!!!!

No way was Cryptic going to trick me into turning in my Marks even if they did do the 50% bonus on rep. I know them, they just want me to give up my STUFF!!! NO!!! IT'S MY STUFF!!! I'M KEEPING IT.. FOR-FRIGGIN-EVER!!!!

And right now.. right now.. I'm hoarding Omega particle traces. I want them all. They're mine! Every one of them! MINE MINE MINE!!!!
  • Options
    raeatraeat Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    imruined wrote: »
    Why? Why would any company in their right minds, with investors to keep happy (no, players are NOT investors unless you own stock in PWE) intentionally kill off one of their flagship products?

Do you even have the slightest clue how the world actually works?

That's the point. Not in their right mind.

I ran a small business for many years, so I'm willing to bet a damn sight more than you do.

And with that, I see no reason to reply to you any more. You are clearly a plant.
  • Options
    imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    raeat wrote: »
    That's the point. Not in their right mind.

I ran a small business for many years, so I'm willing to bet a damn sight more than you do.

And with that, I see no reason to reply to you any more. You are clearly a plant.

Yep... You got me... I get paid in skittles and beer...

I'm also presuming that running your own business was highly successful, given your typically chipper demeanour on these forums...
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • Options
    fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    jermbot wrote: »
    And yes, I place the fault for that at both the feet of Cryptic, for not finding a better solution and the mark hoarders, for using an exploit that, while not against the rules of the dilithium weekned, was definitely against the spirit of the dilithium weekend.

When exactly did you decide that mark "hoarding" was against the spirit of the dilithium weekend?

Judging by the number of posts you have made in this thread I can tell this is an issue you're passionate about. Can you point to previous posts or threads you made prior to this change where you are highlighting mark "hoarding" as the exploitative behavior you believe it to be?

I'm curious, what other behavior is also against the spirit of other events? Qmendation hoarding? Waiting to buy the new ship bundle when it's on sale? Using mining claims during the dilithium weekends? Using stockpiled contraband? Waiting a few weeks for supply to bring down the cost of the latest lockbox shiney? Running years old content in a group? Buying Zen with dilithium?

How are we to figure out what is exploitative behavior?

If the goal was to motivate me into the queues, they failed. Now I just fill hourly projects, and will continue to do so for the better part of the year without having to play any content. Had I been able to cash out my marks I'd be happily serving as content for casuals and whales.

I think it should be clear that nerfs, now a series of them, has led to dead queues.
  • Options
    tigercatgirltigercatgirl Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    hojain2020 wrote: »
    Why has this been changed? can someone explain this to me. (the official post says something like making it a more valuable thing by returning it regularly)

Is there an game breaking issue that arises when players play content and earn stuff to save for a best exchange period ? After all to hoard stuff you still have to play content right? ..right?

Further the Dil event always had this extra dil reward for turning in marks. Why do the the peeps at cryptic have their panties in a bunch about it now? It does not make sense to me.

From what I hear too many people had way too much dilithium. I mean they had it maxed out on multiple toons. So Cryptic has been rushing out systems to get rid of it since the introduction of fleets.

The problem is Cryptic keeps saying they are going to add more dil to missions and other stuff....yet they never have for years. They have only reduced what you can get. This is one of early dying signs of a game. The other one is nickle and dime everyone to death, which is happening too. The third is when they finish changing the game by the end of this year in which they will tell us how to play the game and the only way it can be played. Fourth is when the players and developers begin fighting and it continues on. Fifth is the not fixing of bugs or only fixing stupid ones like "OMG kobalis have tails we have to fix that immedately before it wrecks the game!"...instead of real play issues.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    fatman592 wrote: »
    When exactly did you decide that mark "hoarding" was against the spirit of the dilithium weekend?

Hoarding has always been against the spirit of the dilithium weekend. And to save you time on your next response, my answer will be, "it's not my job, as a player, to decide when or how to take action against exploits."

Though I will say I agree, if the vast majority of marks being turned in for dilithium during the bonus weekend were hoarded, it was in Cryptic's best interests to do something.
    How are we to figure out what is exploitative behavior?

I sense you might have thought this question would be hard, because you posted a series of ridiculous questions that should be self evident. But taking your words in good faith I will give an answer. An exploit is when a player discovers a way to use a system or function of the game in a way that the developers did not anticipate to do something the developers never intended.

As far as figuring out when you're exploiting, sometimes it's obvious, like if in a dungeon encounter you discover you can completely evade an attack by running out a door and hiding around a corner. Other times, like this time, it's less clear. Honestly, play the game the best way you can and if you're exploiting the mechanics in a way that the developers feel they need to do something about, they will. Just try and develop the decency to complain less if that happens.

As for your other examples. I'm sure if you apply the above definition to each of those cases, you'll be able to figure out for yourself whether buying things on sale is an exploit.
    If the goal was to motivate me into the queues, they failed. Now I just fill hourly projects, and will continue to do so for the better part of the year without having to play any content. Had I been able to cash out my marks I'd be happily serving as content for casuals and whales.

Maybe that wasn't their goal. Or maybe they don't believe you. Or maybe they don't care what you as an individual do because you as an individual are not representative of their player base. Either way, to say this failed you have to make some assumptions that you are frankly not qualified to make.
    I think it should be clear that nerfs, now a series of them, has led to dead queues.

And on the topic of assumptions you're not qualified to make. Issues with "dead queues" are caused by a wide variety of variables. In short, this is a complicated issue. And while I'm sure you do think it's clear and that it would be fixed if Cryptic would just do what is convenient for you personally, that seems suspiciously self serving to me.

Honestly, I think your time would be better spent asking yourself why a complicated issue is so clear to you. And why your solution is to be given a larger reward for less effort.
    decronia wrote: »
    *cough*Contraband hand in*cough* *cough*mining claims*cough*

Also I do the Rommy mission that is required to get the dil reward during the event and don't get a bonus yet I am playing the mission. Go figure.

Well, maybe when the vast majority contraband or mining claim turn ins happen during experience bonus weekends, those will be addressed too.

I doubt it though, as the contraband turn in and mining claim turn in are on timers, and the mark turn-in is not.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Don't worry my cryptic friend the contraband exploit will be further addressed soon. The 4 hour timer can be changed to 20 or 24. And the number can be increased to 10 or 20.

Mining claims are sacred as they come from lockbox.

Saving event currency will probably remain hoardable by filthy cheat players because changing it would involve creating a new currency or way of identifying old year's currency each time. With the bugs we saw in the winter event this seems to be too difficult.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    roadghost wrote: »
    I admit it, I hoard marks, I hoard Contraband. Shoot I even hoard the jackets from Q's Wonderland, I have like 50 in my inventory right now. I hoard dilithium, that I buy with my stipend. Dangit I hoard everything. I have been running Mk XI purple gear since STFs first came out, because I don't want to spend my marks for the Mk XIIs when I can still pull 15-20k dps with the XI's. My fleet's starbase is still at tier 2 because I'm the only active member and I can't bring myself to spend my Fleet Marks or Dilithium to upgrade it. I MIGHT NEED THEM LATER!!!!

No way was Cryptic going to trick me into turning in my Marks even if they did do the 50% bonus on rep. I know them, they just want me to give up my STUFF!!! NO!!! IT'S MY STUFF!!! I'M KEEPING IT.. FOR-FRIGGIN-EVER!!!!

And right now.. right now.. I'm hoarding Omega particle traces. I want them all. They're mine! Every one of them! MINE MINE MINE!!!!

I know those feels, compulsive hoarder, collector and completionist here. Never usually saved up T5 turn ins because I had to have the bar finished, even though I didn't use the gear. Restrained myself to keep 2 ready and waiting for the first time ever, and the rug has been pulled out from under me. I don't know turn in marks, because its an inconvenience and there's the big 'what if' I want them for a piece of gear etc.
  • Options
    knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    People saying hoarding for T5 Rep turn-ins during dilithium bonus weekends is an exploit is akin to the government claiming people saving up their money and spending it only on Black Friday or during state tax holidays is illegal. The logic is laughable.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I know...

You really shouldn't be allowed to have a name that starts with 'pwe'.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    knuhteb5 wrote: »
    People saying hoarding for T5 Rep turn-ins during dilithium bonus weekends is an exploit is akin to the government claiming people saving up their money and spending it only on Black Friday or during state tax holidays is illegal. The logic is laughable.

Yes, and it's also funny that they think giving a one time week-long dilithium bonus while two other events are going on (a one time anniversary kobali command ship, command BOFF and gear) and an omega particles for upgrades that also will vanish at the end of the month for good will somehow make it ok that the "hoarding" of marks for dilithium bonus has been removed entirely and for good.

If most people were ok with it, they might as well decide collecting dilithium per unit of time also needs an overall reduction.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    *snip*

Again my challenge to show me when your passion for this topic developed stands. I'm waiting with baited breath to see something, anything, where you highlight this plainly exploitative behavior.

The examples I listed were about planning to make the most of ones resources. This is apparently the defining characteristic of an exploit.

You're right, one guy's perspective means nothing. Perhaps you should take your own advice about not making assumptions. For example, I never felt my questions would be difficult for a true believe. But keep on trolling friend, I find you to be highly amusing. People like you are the only reason I read these forums.

Anyway, you seem to be intelligent, I wish you well in your crusade.
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Actually...if you see imruined post...they can. Kinda why I don't consider it a solid source. They may do some checking after the fact however...I am not 100% sure on their whole process...and when that is the case, like I said, not a solid source.

It's not a good source:
    1. Glassdoor typically has reviews from only a small percentage of employees at the company. At the 406 companies in the sample, there were 8,123 Glassdoor reviews, an average of 1.6% of the employees. As a comparison, we surveyed 315,212 employees at these companies, an average of 61.5% of the employees.
    2. Glassdoor reviews are posted by a disproportionate number of “grumpy” employees. We conservatively estimate that a company’s negative employees are 5 to 8 times more likely to post a review on Glassdoor than their positive employees.

These two factors can make the overall Glassdoor scores inaccurate. Good examples of this are Quicken Loans and The Container Store, which we recently named as #1 and #2 on our National Top Workplaces list.

Quicken Loans has a score of 3.2 stars on Glassdoor, and 46% of employees do not recommend this company to a friend (based on 140 reviews).

However, we found in our survey, based on 935 survey responses from employees at Quicken Loans, that only 2% of employees would not recommend the company (with a further 5% neutral). On average, employees rated working at Quicken loans a 90.3 on a scale of 0-99.

The Container Store has a similar score of 3.1 stars on Glassdoor and 46% of employees do not recommend this company to a friend (based on 218 reviews):

We found, based on 1,516 survey responses from employees at The Container Store, that only 3% of employees would not recommend the company (with a further 4% neutral). On average, employees rated working at The Container Store a 90.1 on a scale of 0-99.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    fatman592 wrote: »
    Again my challenge to show me when your passion for this topic developed stands. I'm waiting with baited breath to see something, anything, where you highlight this plainly exploitative behavior.

You realize the first two sentences here don't go together. Like, at all. Are you looking for when I developed enough of an opinion to post about this on the forum, because that would have been around page 7 of a previous thread and is irrelevant to the discussion.

If you're looking for an explanation about how hoarding in game rewards over the space of months to turn them in for a bonus designed to encourage play during a specific weekend is an exploit, well, I've explained it three different ways already.
    The examples I listed were about planning to make the most of ones resources. This is apparently the defining characteristic of an exploit.

I've also defined exploit for you, so if you had read the post you 'snipped' rather than just simply hitting reply and spewing senselessly in my direction, you'd realize that planning is not the defining characteristic of an exploit.
    You're right, one guy's perspective means nothing.

Not what I said.
    Perhaps you should take your own advice about not making assumptions.

Only assumption I made is that you are poorly informed. That assumption seems safe.
    For example, I never felt my questions would be difficult for a true believe.

Never said your question was difficult. Quite the opposite actually.
    But keep on trolling friend,

Not what trolling means.
    I find you to be highly amusing. People like you are the only reason I read these forums.

Wish I could say the same. Unfortunately you are not entertaining. You show a decided lack of creativity, insight or even effort. Your responses have been the picture of an attempt to get a 'zinger' in while also failing to understand what is being said.

You're boring.
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Exploits may lead to aberrant game play but not all aberrant game play is due to an exploit.

Did allowing resources built up throughout the year to be cashed in for a bonus during a period intended to reward playing during that time seem out of line with the spirit of the event? Yes.
    Was it an exploit? No.
    Was it an oversight? Yes.
    Did they take too long in changing this? Yes.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Exploits may lead to aberrant game play but not all aberrant game play is due to an exploit.

Did allowing resources built up throughout the year to be cashed in for a bonus during a period intended to reward playing during that time seem out of line with the spirit of the event? Yes.
    Was it an exploit? No.

Which should be kind of obvious seeing as the Devs haven't actually called it an exploit.

Its just being banded around by some players on the forums only after it was removed and never before hand making it largely come off as yelling at other players to never question the Devs about anything they do ever.
  • Options
    hanoverfist1970hanoverfist1970 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    knuhteb5 wrote: »

Perfectly said.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    *snip*

Why not just write, "you're boring" from the beginning?

That would have saved you some time and effort.

You know what I think Jermbot?

We complete each other.

You know it's true...
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    hartzilla wrote: »
    Which should be kind of obvious seeing as the Devs haven't actually called it an exploit.

Its just being banded around by some players on the forums only after it was removed and never before hand making it largely come off as yelling at other players to never question the Devs about anything they do ever.

I guess you can see things that way, if you work at it or are predisposed to that point of view. But in the last thread the I seem to recall someone working very hard to be offended that their behavior was being described as "hoarding" with at least two of the supposed "white knights" trying to explain to them that hoarding is simply an accurate term to describe what they did and shouldn't be taken as a rebuke. In this thread snarkers have attempted to try to spin the idea of this being an exploit into the accusation that they themselves are criminals and hurting the game.

Few people, I think two counting myself, have even put forward suggestions on how this could be hurting the game as a whole, and in both of those cases we've been very careful to note that it's not something that should be punishable or even admonished.

In short, nobody is yelling, people should stop acting like they're getting yelled at.