test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I love you guys.

tiro100tiro100 Member Posts: 73 Arc User
edited February 2015 in Ten Forward
I've been taking a break from STO recently, nothing wrong with the game, I just don't want to get burnt out. I just got a new computer last week, and have started playing SWTOR again. The game is fun enough, and the people on Reddit are cool. But I was looking through the official forums and something just blew me away. Any thread that involves the F2Pers or the Preferred players having a gripe with the F2P restrictions, the Subscribers go off. I mean they frickin talk down to them, like they are inferior for not paying to play the game.

I have never seen that here. I know that there have been tense times on this forum where not everyone has seen eye to eye. But regardless of that, the people on this forum and in this game make me feel welcome. I have yet to meet a Subscriber on this game who treated me different because I'm F2P.

Everyone here is great, and I want to let you all know that. From the bottom of my heart, I love this community.

That is all.
Playing STO on and off since January 2nd, 2011!
Post edited by tiro100 on

Comments

• grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Do ignore all the slot machine threads btw.
    say-star-wars-is-better.jpg
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Ya know, OP, when every other thread in this place is all about how this group or that group is ruining the game for the rest of us, and all the rest of the threads are about how cryptic is ruining the game for us, yours is a really surprising and really nice post.

Thank you.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    What's your forum name?
    say-star-wars-is-better.jpg
  • tiro100tiro100 Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Probably Tiro_Reiem. Although I haven't activated on the forums, I was just lurking to start. Not sure If I will post on that forum, Reddit is much nicer in that regard.
    Playing STO on and off since January 2nd, 2011!
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I have noticed some evidence that the STO forums are becoming less polarized. It may just be me seeing things, or being overly naive. Similarly, it may just be me becoming desensitized to the toxicity of the forums to the point I just may not notice it.

The trolls have retreated elsewhere because now they're faced with the possibility that not everybody in their thread is going to hop on the "Cryptic bad!" bandwagon.

Similarly, more Cryptic Apolofanwhiteknightistefenders seem to be tackling the arguments people make rather than trying to make a character assassination. I think Cryptic's communication from the likes of Mr. Rivera and Mr. Ricossa have helped foster that initiative.

I have seen more people become willing to speak up and police one another, instead of requiring the mods to do it for them. I have seen great strides taken by many in the STO forums to meet one another halfway, and acknowledge one another with mutual respect, despite differences of opinion. I have seen more lines of common communication being drawn instead of those lines being set on fire.

I am seeing less of this:

"I am outraged! A, B, and C sucks and ruins everything!"

"Well, I may not agree that A and B sucks, but I do agree that C sucks and ruins everything."

"No! If you support A and B, you support C and therefore everything Cryptic does ever!"

*Followed by 10-12 pages of how OP is misguided and/or awesome, while completely avoiding the topic of A, B, and C*

Which to me is a good thing and helps drive the discussion out of the hands of trolls and into the hands of players who genuinely just want to see a better Star Trek Online.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    edited February 2015
    We still have some people like that though. I could name one, but I won't.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    edited February 2015
    I wasn't talking about you Crash. I was talking about a rather vocal person who thinks the game is ruined no matter what happens, and anyone who says otherwise is an "apologist" and therefor is to be ignored.

You... just like to chew on cables and give security a headache. :D
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    tiro100 wrote: »
    Any thread that involves the F2Pers or the Preferred players having a gripe with the F2P restrictions, the Subscribers go off. I mean they frickin talk down to them, like they are inferior for not paying to play the game.

Uhhh... if I remember correctly, only subscribers are supposed to have forum access over there. I haven't tried in quite a while, though.

Basically, the SWTOR forums are a war between the Arnor and the Dread Lords. :P
    iconians wrote: »
    I have noticed some evidence that the STO forums are becoming less polarized.

Well, there is a growing trend of being too focused on what Cryptic's doing wrong to feel a need for all that wasteful bickering. The bickering's not entirely gone, though.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    ToR has a different business model than STO. Not having a Sub in that game really stings. Leveling up becomes extremely difficult because the XP penalty for free to play is so high you rapidly run out of quests and you can only queue for like 3 dungeons a week, so little help here. You can pvp a bit, but can only run a couple games of that too. You can try grinding, but that's painfully slow even without reduced xp. With it, I wouldn't be able to stand it. Everything costs more, you can't mail anything between characters.

When I first went preferred, I only had two action bars. Which wasn't NEARLY enough for the ungodly number of buttons Bioware keeps dropping on top of the pile. (5 situational survival cooldowns for pvp alone? SERIOUSLY? Plus ensnares, plus ensnare breaker, plus silence, etc... How many buttons do we need Bio? I digress...) Just in general a miserable experience. I couldn't play it unless I subbed. And I never got a character to the cap until the Shadow of Revan XP promotion happened. STO is completely different. Basically the entire player base is free to play. The revenue stream was carried by the C Store and the never ending thirst for more star trek ships. Subbed players have no limit on their credits, but you can buy that for 500 measly zen while you're free to play. Unless you respec constantly, the only reason to sub to this game is for the lifetime/vet perks and outfit items. That admiral belt sure is swank. :(
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Eh, you're doing it wrong. I was just fine with my 2 default bars; my hybrid build is what killed me in endgame. Not enough DPS to qualify as a damage dealer, but not enough healing ability to be a healer.

(Great for duels or solo PvE, though - if I play my cards right, I can beat a gold mob on my own, assisted only by my companion.)

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2015
    <

Sigh, the arrows pointing between a date and a post count. Drunk again :rolleyes:? Bad Dragon.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!