Options

Romulan Mystery Revamp

124»

Comments

• Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    crm14916 wrote: »
    Don't worry, fellas! The other missing 10 stories will all come back as "new content" in the upcoming Season 10 release!

:)

CM

I trust you have a link to a dev post confirming this information?
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    fireseeedfireseeed Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    This game is going down the drain. 14 missions reduce to 4 is just rubbish.

Lucky I spend most of my time now flying in Elite Dangerous. Hopefully the buyout of perfect world will include some new owners who care about star trek and will turn this game around.
  • Options
    nagyervinnagyervin Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    What i see is, that the folks at Cryptic don't understand the meaning of: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. They keep breaking this "rule" every update.
    Your Plasma Torpedo - Heavy III deals 174321 (66343) Kinetic Damage(Critical) to I.R.W. Valdore. :o
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    fireseeed wrote: »
    Hopefully the buyout of perfect world will include some new owners who care about star trek and will turn this game around.
    If the buyout succeeds, it will be the founder of Perfect World taking back private ownership. And STO is only a small part of the revenue stream of PWI - of course they don't "care about" Star Trek. Nor would I expect them to.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    nagyervin wrote: »
    What i see is, that the folks at Cryptic don't understand the meaning of: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. They keep breaking this "rule" every update.

If Divide et Imperia was working as intended all Fed captains that ran it would be court martialed and be charged with war crimes and the rest of their STO career would be captaining their jail cell.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    If Divide et Imperia was working as intended all Fed captains that ran it would be court martialed and be charged with war crimes and the rest of their STO career would be captaining their jail cell.
    I don't know, I was hired as a mercenary for the Hierarchy, shooting Malons on sight because they claimed they were scammed by my employers.
    Seen in a DR patrol (can't remember which one).

Pretty sure this is not allowed by Starfleet rules.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    What happens in the Delta Quadrant stays in the Delta Quadrant.

Or should have.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    trelane87trelane87 Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Played through the 'revamped' episodes last night with a friend. Overall wasn't that impressed, the storyline itself was good but actual content in the missions felt like watered down versions of the old missions. Compared to the older missions these lacked highly in ground combat compared to the original missions (a trend I've noticed with Cryptic since DR). Most disappointing :(
  • Options
    philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
    edited January 2015
    What happens in the Delta Quadrant stays in the Delta Quadrant.

Or should have.

That explains the Las Vegas colony in DQ, and the U2 video I keep seeing there.
  • Options
    chiselheadchiselhead Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    meh! and this is somehow a big deal
  • Options
    sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 900 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The first new Romulan Mystery story has a Vulcan Ambassador thanking your toon for support her people. That is a nice dialogue to have in the story, except for when your toon is a Vulcan. My Federation Vulcan Admiral was basically excluded from the Vulcan race. I guess anyone from Vulcan that joins Starfleet are excommunicated from the Vulcans.... :(

Of course a Vulcan would not be sad.. mad.. but maybe pensive.... :P

See the Insult
  • Options
    fireseeedfireseeed Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    If the buyout succeeds, it will be the founder of Perfect World taking back private ownership. And STO is only a small part of the revenue stream of PWI - of course they don't "care about" Star Trek. Nor would I expect them to.

I suppose I can dream about King Abdullah taking it over and caring only about saving Star Trek Online from it current dev who seem intent on destroying the game and removing every star trek about it. :P
  • Options
    antzudanantzudan Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    So I just played Taris, what's the deal with all the Remans running into the Iconian gateway? Does that come up later in a mission I've forgotten about?
  • Options
    shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    antzudan wrote: »
    So I just played Taris, what's the deal with all the Remans running into the Iconian gateway? Does that come up later in a mission I've forgotten about?
    My guess is that they're members of the Reman resistance taking the opportunity to do a runner for the Vault, but it's just a guess.

I was rather disappointed in "Taris" - you don't get to bounce around on the surface of Hobus, the new Iconia ground map may be nice, but doesn't feel as old and grimy and run-down as the original version, and - most significantly, in my opinion - what was your character's discovery, in the original Hobus mission (about the origins of the Hobus supernova) is now someone else's discovery, and this information gets spoon-fed to you by Gaius Selan in full "Captain Exposition" mode. I, personally, could well do without Selan's garrulous info-dumping. Might be a matter of individual taste, I suppose.
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • Options
    antzudanantzudan Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Completely agree with you about that. They completely removed all the intrigue from the mission, was thinking whilst playing it that that borg guy is like the new Tovan Kev.

Is there an Iconian gateway in the Vault System? I thought they might have been running to the gateway you destroy just after killing hakeev to join him? But don't remember him particularly having many Reman friends in that episode.
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    shevet wrote: »
    I was rather disappointed in "Taris" - you don't get to bounce around on the surface of Hobus.

This annoyed me slightly too, as it's one of the few instances of something unique happening on a ground map. STO needs more environments with quirks like that; Vulcan should be harder to run and jump around on for example because of its higher gravity than earth, for example.
    antzudan wrote: »
    Is there an Iconian gateway in the Vault System? I thought they might have been running to the gateway you destroy just after killing hakeev to join him? But don't remember him particularly having many Reman friends in that episode.

The advantage of the Iconian gateways is that you don't need a gate at the other end. The Remans were fleeing Iconia to the Vault, but there doesn't need to be a gateway there for them to travel to the location.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    gazurtoidgazurtoid Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    There's a bit of a howler in Empress Sela, which I played for the first time a few minutes ago. Cryptic use Leonard Nimoy's voiceover work for the STO introduction in a scene, in which Sela listens to it for some reason (seemingly to completely gratuitously add VO, it really adds nothing plotwise, and there is no real reason for her to listen to the file).

The problem? Spock says "21 years earlier, the star of the Hobus system went supernova, and sent a wave of devastation across the Alpha Quadrant. I promised to save the Romulan Homeworld. I failed"

Those lines are absolutely fine in the introduction. Breaking the fourth wall there is not a problem.

However, featuring them ingame is problematic... How on earth could Spock - who has been 'dead' in game (OK, in the JJverse rather than dead, but everyone in game believes he is) - comment on his actions 21 years later? And even if he could, how could Sela have access to such a recording?
    yjkZSeM.gif
  • Options
    lessley00lessley00 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    gazurtoid wrote: »
    There's a bit of a howler in Empress Sela, which I played for the first time a few minutes ago. Cryptic use Leonard Nimoy's voiceover work for the STO introduction in a scene, in which Sela listens to it for some reason (seemingly to completely gratuitously add VO, it really adds nothing plotwise, and there is no real reason for her to listen to the file).

The problem? Spock says "21 years earlier, the star of the Hobus system went supernova, and sent a wave of devastation across the Alpha Quadrant. I promised to save the Romulan Homeworld. I failed"

Those lines are absolutely fine in the introduction. Breaking the fourth wall there is not a problem.

However, featuring them ingame is problematic... How on earth could Spock - who has been 'dead' in game (OK, in the JJverse rather than dead, but everyone in game believes he is) - comment on his actions 21 years later? And even if he could, how could Sela have access to such a recording?

I think it was a log by Spock, but you do have a point about it. And Sela has the log possibly because Spock sent the message to the Romulans
    Captain Joseph Riker, U.S.S. Odyssey==General V'Mar, U.S.S. Blackwater-A==Admiral Laura Holmes, U.S.S. Forward Unto Dawn
    Grand Master Thotok, son of Koloth, I.K.S. Sompek==Dahar Master Shanara, I.K.S. Balth'Quv

Admiral R'Tath V'Tirex, R.R.W. Dhael Glohha'enh==Commander Ta'eth Korval, R.R.W Hachae ch'Rhian==Admiral Vranuk, R.R.W Delevhas
  • Options
    piotrtiberiuspiotrtiberius Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'm almost certain that it's Spock's voice, but not Spock himself she's listening to. It's basically a recreation of Spock - no doubt created to honor him after his "death" - speaking as if it was him, like they frequently do in the holodeck.