test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is Isokinetic Cannon as much fun as it looks?

generator88generator88 Member Posts: 698 Arc User
edited February 2015 in Reputation System
As per the subject line. I've got a Tac/FACR that could conceivably slot the full Delta Armaments set, and that set power looks kind of zesty. Just curious.

Thanks,
Generator
=================

I'm sure your DPS is great, but as Kahless said, "a petaQ with high system mastery is still a petaQ." (Well, he should have said it...!)
Post edited by generator88 on

Comments

• cralstoncralston Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I have been hearing good things about it, but have yet to try it myself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ninth Fleet Division Commander
    Rom Tac - Rovath
    Fed Sci - Christopher
    Fed Tac - Chris Ralston
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited December 2014
    Out of curiosity, I purchased it for my Tac fed. My energy build is Elite Phaser, so the addition of a Mk XII VR Polaron in a slot intended for XIV VR Elite Phaser wasn't optimal.

But, I liked the Isokinetic cannon.

First of all is basically an 8K torpedo with 100% shield penetration. It's unaffected by TS or HY (or at least in my tests it did nothing).

Was it worth keeping? On my current build no, but YES I will add it to my 2 other polaron build alts (1 SCI, 1 TAC) as I finish delta rep.
  • generator88generator88 Member Posts: 698 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Yeah, the ship on which I'm contemplating this uses Dominion Polaron beams, so swapping one out to use the ATIP array from the rep set is a relatively painless decision for me.

Thanks,
    Generator
    =================

I'm sure your DPS is great, but as Kahless said, "a petaQ with high system mastery is still a petaQ." (Well, he should have said it...!)
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Isokinetic Cannon performs better and better if you have good Particle Generator Skill. For a Science Vessel, the energy weapon dmg type of the special thoron polarons of the set is irrelevant. What matters is that for a good PGen build, the weapon set is quite useful.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • dauntless89dauntless89 Member Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    @generator88, Hi again. The IsoCannon is really good addition for any science ship no matter the toon. Science ships have more science consoles which allow them to further boost the damage of this ability. It benefits from some of the exotic damage boosts and it can deliver huge impacts with 100% penetration.

Like warmaker stated - the thoron beam is irrelevant - the radiation it provides is ~2k for 7min stf (an example from one of my runs) which is absolute joke. But the full set is providing good bonuses for radiation builds - reducing the CD for the torpedo means faster AOE drain/radiation/kinetic damage, while the bonus radiation if tied with CC console will be further increased (this will give you max results for deteriorating deflector of + 44%)

If you count the all damage done by IsoCannon in the end and add it on top of the Thoron beam energy damage - you will see the sacrifice of 1 beam no matter the build would be worth it but only if you have enough PrtG to make the ~1min cd ability hard hitting.

There is also one more thing - IsoCannon have huge crit chance and possibly is affected by particle manipulation at some degree. I've recently checked few of my parser data files and have found it to be with ~52%+ crit hit chance in all of them (in one was even 80%).

If you ask me - IsoCannon is great spike exotic damage for any science ship using exotic damage over time abilities.
  • kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    this weapon (and set) will be going on my jem hadar dred.. sci officers love the whole polaron drain thing not to mention exotic boost...
  • generator88generator88 Member Posts: 698 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    This char isn't exactly stacked with PGen skill; I think with everything he clocks in at about 100 skill points in that. But even that is acceptable to me in this case, as the opportunity cost of getting Isokinetic Cannon seems very low. The closest anything comes is that one of my 6 Dominion Polaron arrays gets swapped out for the ATIP Array and its... less-than-ideal procs. I don't really care about weapon procs, and since the damage type matches what I'm already using, game on.

Later on,
    Generator
    =================

• warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Another plus to Isokinetic Cannon is, I believe, the shortest cooldown bonus ability: 1 minute.

That's about equal to some of the fanciest BOFF abilities out there and shorter than the awesome Dyson Space Set's "Proton Barrage" which is at 1 minute 30 seconds.

It doesn't miss and it can hit very hard depending on your PGen. It skips shields. If your build supports it, you can't go wrong with this thing.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • kapteenikrisukapteenikrisu Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Its really cool, hits throught shields and straight to hull. 1 minute cooldown is amazing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've been watching. Those chairs aren't just right...
  • joshmaaaaaaansjoshmaaaaaaans Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It's quite fun.

30k minimum every minute on my sci, have hit up to 110k. 100% crit chance on it with a partgen build with the R&D trait.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]