test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Travel Back In Time 7 Days...

js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
... and the term "Mark Hoarding" simply didn't exist.

Nobody on these forums had any problem with it.

So why have certain people taken to using the term "Mark Hoarder" in a pejorative way? Why has it taken on the same implication as "Cheater"?

Are people really that easily manipulated by Cryptic or are the people calling others "Mark Hoarders" just following what they imagine to be Cryptic's party line?

Seriously, what gives?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Free Tibet!
Post edited by js26568 on

Comments

• js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with doing it. What is wrong is getting prissy because your speculation ended up biting you in the TRIBBLE. Well that and you can't do basic math...but that is another issue entirely. What I find funny is that nobody seems to be complaining about the rep item turn in...which unlike mark hoarding makes more mathmatical sense to do during the dil events....

People have complained about that too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Saving the Marks until you can get more from them is just wise business sense. If there is a time when you can get more from your investment, then wait until that day to collect. Simple as that.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    There is nothing wrong with doing it. What is wrong is getting prissy because your speculation ended up biting you in the TRIBBLE. Well that and you can't do basic math...but that is another issue entirely. What I find funny is that nobody seems to be complaining about the rep item turn in...which unlike mark hoarding makes more mathmatical sense to do during the dil events....

Maybe some aren't "hoarding" to speculate but because the whole conversion proces is tedious to the extreme, the dil weekend is just a bit extra motivation. People have been asking for a mass conversion project, even if the timer was increased on it, to save on the tedium of click->slide->click->click and then rinse and repeat.

The items hand in has also been complained about, for the same reason and a mass conversion there would help too.

In the same way the marks weekend motivates people to go to Nakura abd Defari Invasion zone.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    lindaleff wrote: »
    Saving the Marks until you can get more from them is just wise business sense. If there is a time when you can get more from your investment, then wait until that day to collect. Simple as that.

Sure it is a wise business decision.

But that doesn't mean it was actually intuitive? Most players don't have all the details about the game. Some may not be aware of what the Dilithium Event actually boosts and what not, or that they exist, or how regular they come around. So some people will just assume the logical thing - I got spare marks, so I put them in the Dilithium Grinder project. Makes perfect sense, perfectly intuitive.

Except they should have not done that. They should have waited for one of those special days or week-ends. And so they have yet another disadvantage compared to more experienced players.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • ussprometheus79ussprometheus79 Member Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I've not purposely saved marks, so I'm not a hoarder. At the moment I can't turn them in fast enough.

One toon has about 40k worth of marks built up through play since October and has something like 500k unrefined dil.

As things stand, there is no point in me doing anything with the marks such as converting to dil as I'll earn more dil through normal play each day.
    If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    js26568 wrote: »
    Seriously, what gives?

Some people are trying really hard to make kissing dev. posteriors an Olympic sport. ;)
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • nikolaykuznetsovnikolaykuznetsov Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    shpoks wrote: »
    Some people are trying really hard to make kissing dev. posteriors an Olympic sport. ;)

:D

/10char
    Max. One-Hit: 114,966 (Quantum Torpedo - Salvo II (Federation Typhoon Class Battleship))
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I've not purposely saved marks, so I'm not a hoarder. At the moment I can't turn them in fast enough.

One toon has about 40k worth of marks built up through play since October and has something like 500k unrefined dil.

As things stand, there is no point in me doing anything with the marks such as converting to dil as I'll earn more dil through normal play each day.

This is where I'm at. I have around 1k Delta marks built up since all the patrols I'm having to do to level. And when I do ground action at Kobali. I usually turn in around 2-4 rounds worth. So I usually sitting on around 1k all the time. I just don't have time to keep clicking to turn them all in at once. I will finish them off once I get to Lv60. As then I won't have more to build up.

Granted not the same amount as yours, but its enough for someone like me who don't play often.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    This can be used either way. Some do it so they can collect on the Dil or what ever they are trying to achieve.

To me, I explained my situation. I built up enough that I turn in a few rounds. And still have plenty to spare. I'm not about to sit my entire playing time clicking them to turn them in. Eventually I will get them worked down. Just like the other reps where they give a lot of marks for hitting the last Tier. I worked them down too over time.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I have marks because turning them in 50 at a time is chinese water torture.

Especially the nukara marks reputation window, where it's like the 4th windown from the buttom, you can't scroll directly to it and have to waste time finding it hundreds of times, ugh no thanks.

I'd rather just lose that dil, that's how terrible the design is.

Not unlike when they had people moving sliders for hypos in the rep systems yargh who is the guy who comes up with this.

So like with all the other broken systems, leveling, upgrading, crafting, boff, doff - you name it, it's entirely up the developers to actually start producing, adding to the game, fixing all these problems they built by moving numbers around in notepad.

I don't know, often times it seems like they aren't doing anything at all, so they slap some notepad copy-paste text nerf together, then call it a "system change" to give the people upstairs the impression, that they did actually work that month and though it's super weak, it at least made them money.

Me on the other hand, I am pretty f' far from impressed
  • nepsthennepsthen Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It's the newest whining against people who've played a while. A few weeks ago, it was against the "exploit" in all Perfect World games where you can cash in game currency for zen and then use the zen on another character to give the currency to it at a reduced value. I think it's the same group of kids who don't understand that the games reward you the more you play (whether with more shinies or beatings. :D ).

I can't wait for the next specialization skill to come out and have people whining on the forums about those having maxed the tree within hours because they're "specialization point hoarders."
    DxDiag64 dump 19Feb2016: http://pastebin.com/1c0pkEuw
  • js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Soon people who've had the same ship for more than a month will be called "Ship Hoarders"

It's all a bit pathetic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • lored2deathlored2death Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    js26568 wrote: »
    ... and the term "Mark Hoarding" simply didn't exist.

Nobody on these forums had any problem with it.

So why have certain people taken to using the term "Mark Hoarder" in a pejorative way? Why has it taken on the same implication as "Cheater"?

Are people really that easily manipulated by Cryptic or are the people calling others "Mark Hoarders" just following what they imagine to be Cryptic's party line?

Seriously, what gives?

Becuase some people need to feel the personal validation of white-knighting so badly that the object of their defenses can never, ever do wrong. It's not them, it's everybody else.

That's my take anyways. I could easily be wrong. Seeing the sudden shift in labelling a very, very common and sensical play method, i.e. "saving", has made me a little nauseus, honestly.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    If by speculation you mean "playing the event as it always worked", then, yes, I'm a speculator. I'm also speculating during every CE event and MI event that I'll earn 50K dil, a lot of marks and a unique item.

If they nerf those, I wonder how I will be called.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zathri83zathri83 Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    edited February 2015
  • echelonalphaechelonalpha Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Somebody should travel forward in time 7 days and see if this is still even being discussed...
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Somebody should travel forward in time 7 days and see if this is still even being discussed...
    Probably not.
    Doesn't mean the event will be as good as it used to be for most players. They will just stop complaining. I know I will, but I'm not going to play the dil event from now on. I'm not interested anymore, that's it.

You should known the biggest threat is from the silent part of the community. Not from the vocal one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    "Mark Hoarder" became a term because people needed a convenient label for this kind of whiner.

I find it abhorrent. Massing marks was a sound decision, it's not their fault it didn't pan out.

We need to be belittling them for their childish tantrum over a few purple rocks, not for their perfectly reasonable forethought. I mean hell, I held off on converting marks too, and I'd wager a lot of you did as well. I didn't stockpile them expressly for this purpose, but the ultimate result isn't any different.
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I've always saved my marks and rep items and dilithium mining claims for the best time to cash them in.
    I've got 20+ mining claims saved up ready to use this week and thanks to this mess and the extension i'll rake in 20K in dilithium i'd never have bothered collecting outside of dilithium weekends...so is that an exploit?!?! Nope, I'm just using my head and cashing in when i'll get the best return for my playtime.

Am I an exploiter - No.
    An exploit would be an unintended loophole in the game that allowed players to take advantage in an unfair manner, beyond what should normally be possible. That is what happened in Tau Dewa last year where certain patrols were being farmed heavily as the rewards were out of sync with everywhere else. This is nearly the always the result of shoddy game design or the loopholes shouldn't be there, especially as this one in particular was pointed out on the test server but ignored by the devs.

Am I a cheater - No.
    Cheating would be actually breaking the game rules or code and that is pretty much impossible without hacking the code or something. I'd definitely not call cashing in at the best time cheating, you're using the game exactly as it allows you to.

Am I making a sensible decision based on getting the best return - YES.
    This sort of thing happens all over the world every day, on the stock markets, in discount sales, when you buy you currency for a foreign holiday. All you are doing is waiting for the time when you get the best return for exchanging your cash, goods or items.

If the devs who made this game couldn't see the the vast majority of players would spot the dilithium weekend as a perfect chance to cash in an get a good return on their items then this game is in some very poor hands i'm afraid.
    The ones who should be getting the blame here are the game's dev team - they made the game how it is and any possible shortfall in their profits because players found a good way to get a good deal in their fault.

We the players only play the game, and we will always find the path of least resistance, that's not cheating, exploiting or using dirty underhand tactics....that is being savvy with our time and resources.

If the devs don't like how we play and think we should be doing something that fits how the game is meant to be played in their eyes then they are developing the wrong sort of game. They should just change STO into a completely linear game with no decisions allowed and only time gates and pay gates to let you progress.
    This is clearly the route STO is turning towards, any free thought is punished with extra costs or time-gates, or if you are really thinking for yourself then what you're doing will likely get a nerf to force you off it.
    SulMatuul.png
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    shpoks wrote: »

Sounds like fun. Is that on before or after the hate bandwagon drag racing? :P

Anyhoo this is the first I've heard the term. It seems a little silly since hoarding is pretty much all you do at the endgame. You don't even need to try, the marks accumilate as you play regardless and it's not long until you have a decent collection going.