test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The "It was always this way" defense

rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
edited February 2015 in Ten Forward
Do you think it work? Should we step forward with a spirit of adventure toward a new tomorrow or turn our back on change and stay in the past?

This is a not a thread about STO things so that is why it is here.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    What?

I have always derailed threads as much as possible. You mean that?
  • rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    What?

I have always derailed threads as much as possible. You mean that?

Kind of. I mean when something changes and people say that change is bad. You ask those people why they can only say "It was always this way."
  • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Kind of. I mean when something changes and people say that change is bad. You ask those people why they can only say "It was always this way."

sure, happened a couple of times. Either I lied, or they didnt want to believe me.
    Especially when it is about company rules I had to obey.
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    If "It was always this way" because "this way" is a way that's proven to work, and the "change" brings us a way that is not proven to work and many people can see flaws in the new way that suggest the new way will not work as well as "this way," then I'd say the change is bad and those who say "It was always this way" have a valid point, even if they aren't sure how to articulate it.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Change is inevitable. It is merely a question of how and why. As the saying goes, adapt or die. Sometimes the old ways WERE the best way to do something back when they became normal. But this is now, and now is not then.

To be honest.... systems that are, as an Egyptian once put it.... "hoary with age" are probably senile and ready to be put down. If you don't understand WHY you do something then you have no way of knowing whether you're making a good choice.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,443 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Change is inevitable.
    Except from a vending machine.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • echelonalphaechelonalpha Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The world never looks so beautiful as when it is on fire...
  • solemkofsolemkof Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Should we step forward with a spirit of adventure toward a new tomorrow or turn our back on change and stay in the past?
    Why not both?
    Hold on to the things that work well and change what doesn't work well.
  • smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    solemkof wrote: »
    Why not both?

D'Oh...

Seriously dude(tte)? Keeping things that work? Improving those that don't? what kind of dystopia are you advocating?

[/BS]

;D
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    solemkof wrote: »
    Why not both?

A middle ground is nice.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It isn't change people are unhappy with. It is the speed at which the change occurs.

For some, changing too fast is bad because they are concerned they will not be able to keep up and maintain the standards they have right now. For others, changing too slow means they are expending resources on things which will be soon be replaced and they are concerned they will not have the resources needed for new things. Both groups are partially right. As well as being partially wrong.

Just because something has always been done a certain way for a very long time, does not mean it is not the best way to do this particular something. "New and Improved!" isn't always such. "New and Improved!" always brings a new set of problems which most are unequipped to handle or mitigate at first. Some of these may be far worse than anything ever seen before. The learning curve to address these new problems will probably be steeper and more expensive as well.

Just because something has been done a certain way for a very long time does not mean we should not be looking for ways to make it better. Everything can be adjusted somehow to improve final results. Not looking for a better way encourages lazy thinking and worse, it traps those yet to come in a system where they may not be able to achieve their maximum potential.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,443 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I just want to see what's coming next. The more we hold back change, the less the chance I'll live long enough to satisfy my curiosity.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png