test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

High DPS 2 years ago vs today

fairbeard1fairbeard1 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
edited February 2015 in Federation Discussion
Hello all,

I haven't been able to play STO for about 2 years due to real life stuff. Before I left 10-15k DPS was considered very high DPS, with burst maybe reaching 20-30k if I remember correctly.

Now I am seeing threads here and reddit claiming 30-45k, even 75K DPS from ships. I realize the level cap went up, as did the mark and quality of the gear.

My question is as a player that did about 10-15k 2 years ago, would just leveling to max, and upgrading my gear to the latest mark translate into roughly those numbers? All things being equal of course.

Thanks.
Post edited by fairbeard1 on

Comments

• Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It's the combination of all the power creep stacking with each other; causing each further boost to balloon things exponentially each time.

Sure there have been a few weapons that really outclass their counterparts lately, but the real inflation is from all the traits, oddball item/set bonuses, and ease of power generation.
  • Options
    captainwessoncaptainwesson Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    fairbeard1 wrote: »
    Hello all,

I haven't been able to play STO for about 2 years due to real life stuff. Before I left 10-15k DPS was considered very high DPS, with burst maybe reaching 20-30k if I remember correctly.

Now I am seeing threads here and reddit claiming 30-45k, even 75K DPS from ships. I realize the level cap went up, as did the mark and quality of the gear.

My question is as a player that did about 10-15k 2 years ago, would just leveling to max, and upgrading my gear to the latest mark translate into roughly those numbers? All things being equal of course.

Thanks.

No, not quite. A lot of things happened that caused those numbers, too. It's a combination of lots of things. I don't have the whole list, but some are:

DEM with doff
    Beams overcapping to absurd numbers
    Beam FAW got a boost
    Attack Pattern Beta is on lots of pets, and the debuff stacks
    Reputation traits
    Particle gens has started to reach very high amounts as well, causing lots of FBP and TBR to be used

There's a lot I'm missing, and some dedicated DPS grinder would be able to tell you more. A lot of it deals with padding, too, like shooting the gates when it's rather pointless because it's not going to drop in health, stuff like that.

The Mk xiv weapons and consoles are just added icing on the cake, really. People were doing 60-70k before DR anyway, now it's just easier to get those numbers without planning your whole team around it.
  • Options
    keravnioskeravnios Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I see a 10ker and 2 who have never even parsed in here..

Pre Delta scores have been kept in the League

Pre Delta highest was 89k (lvl 50 mk 12 stuff)

Now its 180k
  • Options
    kostamojenxkostamojenx Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I say its the traits above all else.

9-10 personal traits, 4 Starship Mastery Traits, 4 Rep traits...

Thats 17-18 bonus stats, on top of everything else.

But the bump from mk XII to mk XIV does make a big difference too.
  • Options
    captainwessoncaptainwesson Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    keravnios wrote: »

Pre Delta scores have been kept in the League

Pre Delta highest was 89k (lvl 50 mk 12 stuff)

Now its 180k

I'm not even sure what relevance that comment was to the conversation at hand, nor why it was even said.

Good to know that it was 89k before tho. Either way, OP, if you want to chase DPS, follow these guys ideas. But if you just want to do the missions and not endure the DR grind, it's PvE...you probably have more than enough DPS to complete it with your current values.
  • Options
    fairbeard1fairbeard1 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I never did my own parsing either, my fleet leader did during STFs.

The reason I made this thread is that my fleet leader seems to have quit while I was gone. Since I don't plan to run a parser I just wanted to see if my old setup and playstyle would be suited to the new "end game". There seems to be so much new stuff, its going to take awhile to get used to it.

I guess I will relearn the game, grind to max, and see what happens.
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    westmetals wrote: »
    To hit the absolute max, you would probably need one of the T6 ships with Intel BOFF powers unlocked; if only because of Override Subsystem Safeties.

Nah, not the current T6 ships. Vel'gon did the breakdown of what we have to give up to get OSS with the current T6 ships, and it's not worth it. The top of the DPS charts are still T5-U ships at the moment.

That may change when we get Fleet T6s (11 console T6s, so T6.5?) and better 11 console T6 ships. The incoming T6 Command ships may change it up as well, but for now - the T5-Us are still top.
  • Options
    echelonalphaechelonalpha Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    keravnios wrote: »

This made me giggle, it's kinda the geeky STO equivalent of "Do you even lift?"
  • Options
    amaresh1amaresh1 Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    My thoughts on the Creep post DR. These are the new things to get up the DPS ladder.

1. Starship Traits.

Reciprocity, Supremacy, Pedal to the Medal, ETC.

2. Captain Specializations.

Flanking, Flanking, Flanking and a little bit more flanking in the Intelligence Specialization

3. Plasma Doping - This is not new but has now been fully known.

4. Tier 5 U Ships. (Extra Console and Traits.)

(Most people are flying 5 U ships with Tier 6 Traits.) This might change with the Vaadawar Ships.

5. Crafting System.

Captain's Traits such as Beam Barrage and the Science One.
    Ability to have Epic Cridx4 or Crdx3 [Pen]

6. Particle Generater Builds.

7. Tier 6 Ships Most of the Dpsers are waiting on the Fleet Versions however, Surgical Strikes III and OSS III are very useful.
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    darkjeff wrote: »
    Nah, not the current T6 ships. Vel'gon did the breakdown of what we have to give up to get OSS with the current T6 ships, and it's not worth it. The top of the DPS charts are still T5-U ships at the moment.

That may change when we get Fleet T6s (11 console T6s, so T6.5?) and better 11 console T6 ships. The incoming T6 Command ships may change it up as well, but for now - the T5-Us are still top.

I just don't see this.
    You give me a scim with the commander intel, its gonna blow things away better.
    They didnt give us that. They gave us a 4/3 weapon ship with a cmdr intel, and it rocks, but it can't quite beat the old 5/3 in a FAW spamming contest.

Its not OSS. The faeht is down 1 weapon AND it shared tac skills with intel skills. So you are down a weapon AND you cannot seat all the buffs and debuffs from both tac and intel on it, you have to cherry pick. If you seat 1 copy of all of it, you can't sustain the aoe damage. If you seat 2 copies, you can't fit but a small subset. And it can't quite seat a good A2b cooldown fix build to counter that issue.

And the faeht is the best of the intel buckets, IMHO. Its not OSS or giving stuff up, its just set up (either by design, or luck, or whatever) to have limits. Its just not quite capable of seating everything it needs to make up for the lost weapon ... it would need
    faw/faw/beta/beta/oss/oss/ss/ss/turbulence/ OR the ability to use A2B.

All that aside, I prefer the faeht. I can steer it, it does not get stuck on other ships or stuff, and shooting each enemy in turn is plenty effective without the aggro of aoe blasting. It does *enough* dps.