test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dilithium Weekend Event (2/5 - 2/12)

Comments

• vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I just don't understand Cryptic's mindset at the moment.

Or rather, Unfortunately, Yes, yes I do:
    Squeeze and squeeze as much cash out of the Star Trek IP via this game's players as they can, with out the faintest regard at all to entertainment value what-so-ever.

Somewhere someone in either Cryptic's or PWE's offices, has decided that Star Trek fans are idiots, that they will accept repeated kicks in the Jimmies and yet still comeback for more because they are faithful to the franchise.

And this may have been successful up to a point, but fear critical mass Cryptic. Fear critical mass.

Because as I'm absolutely sure, beyond a shadow of a doubt, your metrics are starting to show that it's here.

Take steps Cryptic, because I fear it's downhill from here if this trend continues. I sincerely hope I'm wrong.
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• yakodymyakodym Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    We will be running a special weekend event where you can earn bonus Dilithium Ore by playing content throughout the game! It's time to hit the Asteroid Fields!

RE #1: Asteroid fields? You mean there's dilithium there too? Not just in dyson sphere ground battlezone?

RE: #2: No thanks, the only thing I dislike more than the dil mining minigame in Vlugta Asteroid Field is the crystal mining minigame on Nukara Prime (as if the former wasn't erratic and frustrating enough, the latter also has Tholians interrupting you in the worst moments). Even rearranging the sets of isolinear chips on Defera during "Mission: Temple: Preservation of Knowledge" seems to be enjoyable in comparison.

RE: #3: No time for dil, must play more Guitar Hero: Omega Particle Edition.
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    What good is having Community Devs that do not act as a funnel/filter between the players and the developers? Is all they do post blogs (full of errors), host livestreams (where their inaptitude in how to play this game is actually uncomfortable to watch, and tweet inane nonsense?

They should know about every change that is likely to affect players well before it happens. There should be feedback on how this may impact players and what can be done to mitigate risks...

Them not knowing about this change until the event goes live is just simply not acceptable.

This is a very valid point indeed. Fondness of personalities aside.
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• grejvxgrejvx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I need to step in here and say a couple of things.

There have been some very aggressive posts leveled towards the community team as well as the development team. I need to urge all of you that while there may be changes that you do not agree with, there is a right way to express your thoughts and frustrations and a wrong way.

In this case, please realize that the changed info for the event did not filter down until after the blog was posted and the event began. The Executive Producer has now made a statement and is also extending the event to be a week long instead of just the weekend.

If you did not see the Executive Producer's response, please read:

Oh we did and we love it! ;)

I never thought I could feel that "rage-quit" thing I've read about...

F*ck it, cya around the galaxy when you sell STO license to someone who will care for what we say.
  • hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    In this case, please realize that the changed info for the event did not filter down until after the blog was posted and the event began.

I do realize that. That is part of the problem.
    IMO, we should have been informed of this in advance. Preferably well in advance.
    You need to work on your communication, sir(s).
  • merdhynmerdhyn Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2015

There have been some very aggressive posts leveled towards the community team as well as the development team. I need to urge all of you that while there may be changes that you do not agree with, there is a right way to express your thoughts and frustrations and a wrong way.

In this case, please realize that the changed info for the event did not filter down until after the blog was posted and the event began. The Executive Producer has now made a statement and is also extending the event to be a week long instead of just the weekend.

While I understand, and share to an extent, the frustration about the marks and such turn-ins, I wanted to thank pweadamanteus and salamiinferno for responding to this in more reasonable tones than many of us on the forums have.
    I include myself in this, at times, and I apologize for those outbursts of temper.

At any rate, I wanted to sow my appreciation for the information and for the extension.
    Hopefully cooler heads will prevail, and those of us with tempers can start taking a moment to think about what we're saying, and how it'd feel if we were spoken to in such a fashion, before putting fingers to keyboards.
  • hawkyenarasumashawkyenarasumas Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited February 2015

In other words, you are blaming the playerbase for your mistake. You, as a company, made a blatantly unethical move, and now you are offended by our very obvious and (mostly) justified reactions? Give me a break. And look, I'm not saying it's okay to start cussing people out, but expressing dissatisfaction - even vehemently - is our right as customers. A smart company takes customer satisfaction more seriously than you have been.
    By not offering a bonus on these projects, we are making mark conversion projects valid and valuable all the time, not only during the few Dilithium Weekends we run every year.

Um, no. That's not how that works. You're making it valuable none of the time. Making it "valuable all the time" would be permanently increasing the turn-in reward by 50%. It's already ludicrous how long it takes to redeem marks (seriously, let us turn in 500 and even 5,000 at a time. It would take me 43 minutes in cooldown time alone to turn in what I've got.) and now there's even less incentive to take out the time necessary.

The response you've gotten is overwhelmingly negative for a reason. The smart and ethical thing to do is honor what you said you were going to do, tell us WELL in advance of any changes you plan to make concerning well-established events, and, most of all, not rebuke your customers for something that's your fault.
    ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
    Admiral Hawkye L. Narasumas
    Commanding Officer, NX-91883 U.S.S. Harmony - Prometheus Class Custom Variant
    Fleet Commander, No Fate

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
  • lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I had specifically saved my T5 mission for this event too.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • soidutssoiduts Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    In other words, you are blaming the playerbase for your mistake. You, as a company, made a blatantly unethical move, and now you are offended by our very obvious and (mostly) justified reactions? Give me a break. And look, I'm not saying it's okay to start cussing people out, but expressing dissatisfaction - even vehemently - is our right as customers. A smart company takes customer satisfaction more seriously than you have been.

I agree that is pretty bad customers services accusing the customer of being wrong when it has been more than proven they were in the wrong.
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    soiduts wrote: »
    I agree that is pretty bad customers services accusing the customer of being wrong when it has been more than proven they were in the wrong.

Calling for CBS to pull the IP and Devs to be fired is not justified reaction.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • johnniemesojohnniemeso Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    i don't like the changes at all

why leave it to now to announce them. everyone would have saved their marks and t5 for this and now your saying its for nothing.

game dev should have announced this change ages ago or said that this would be the last bonus event where you could do this. then people would get their rewards for hoarding which game devs of course encouraged by having the systems as they were.
  • soidutssoiduts Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    cidjack wrote: »
    Calling for CBS to pull the IP and Devs to be fired is not justified reaction.

Who said that? I was just stating in general that accusing the players for voicing their opinion when they aren't in the wrong is not good customers service.

You can't advertise something and then take it away moments later and not expect a reaction like this. There have been too many mistakes lately, so a reaction to this reputation marks turn-in is justifiably going to make some people annoyed.
    edited February 2015
    soiduts wrote: »
    Who said that? I was just stating in general that accusing the players for voicing their opinion when they aren't in the wrong is not good customers service.

You can't advertise something and then take it away moments later and not expect a reaction like this. There have been too many mistakes lately, so a reaction to this reputation marks turn-in is justifiably going to make some people annoyed.

My answer to your post was not directed towards you as you had said those things. Read STO facebook, twitter feed, Reddit sto and you will find those examples I listed.

pweadamanteus on post #191 stated this:

There is a right way to express your frustration, and a wrong way.
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • phreakbeephreakbee Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Oh boohoo, the substitute currency that I can use to purchase P2P items with instead of "REAL MONEY" that the devs give away for "FREE", isn't enough for me.

Lets go rant on the forums about how lousy their game is and complain about how much of a "grind" it all is....

GIBE ME FREE STUF NAO!!!!!!11one

Honestly?

So some nerf herding craptic appologist, who's not been here a year, has the first clue? How much are they paying you to troll, and where can we sign up? I ask because anyone that's been here more than a year knows STO's become a three ring circus full of clowns. Every time they rollout anything new, it's a charlie foxtrot and they ignore you when you ask them to fix the stuff that you pay $money$ for, that they screwed up. So you have to be completely clueless , or are on the payroll/a dev in disguise.
    edited February 2015
    Cryptic, what you fail to realize is that we WERE running STFs. If anything, that is when looking for STF teams actually gets MORE active. In fact, I was 100% intending to visit STOrassic Park. Obtaining Marks to convert were half the reason to do this in the first place, and we can't get the Marks if we don't run STFs.

Since you took away the reason to run the STFs, I'm not going to play the STFs. Thank you for giving me another reason to NOT play.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
  • raventomoeraventomoe Member Posts: 723 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    There is a right way to express your frustration, and a wrong way.

I agree wholeheartedly with this sentiment. The EP came out and owned up for the mis-communication and handled it by extending the event a full week as an apology. He also stated I believe...oh wait I can quote some of this!

From what the EP said himself.
    We are committed to making sure that Dilithium is more available in game, and to that end we are currently working to introduce Dilithium rewards to episode and patrol play by the end of this month.

But some of you will probably complain about this too...:(

Seriously, I like this game. It has it's problems as time goes on but the biggest issue for me right now isn't the grinding of levels or playing characters...

...it's the community right now and it's not just one issue. It's how you are all talking about this or that. This Dil problem is just the latest I've seen this month.

I'm going to once again put this up and HOPE a dev, CM, and/or some of my fellow players watch and listen to this guy (time stamp is 23 minutes and 33 seconds into the video). He may not be talking about STO (and I don't think he plays it) but his words have meaning for us here too.
    "The Multiverse, the ultimate frontier..."
    Thus begins...Lyrical Trek
    edited February 2015
    What's a troll? :D

On a serious note though, that's exactly what it seems like to me. Every event all I see is complaints
    and I honestly don't understand why.

So what if the devs dont believe the game should live up to your expectations of "I want everything and I want it now!". How many other games give you the ability to "buy" stuff without spending a dime/penny/rupee (or whatever currency you happen to use). So what if you have to wait a little while. This game is unbelievably fast paced in terms of progression. There's another MMO with quite a few similarities to STO that I have been playing for five years now, and I'm still only mid-level, and it has a single annual Christmas event where they give away premium items for an entire two days! And people say STO are stingy with their events and premium services?

But I love that game, just as I love STO, and my point is, stop focussing on what they're not handing to you on a silver platter, and be gracious for what you get. It's not a grind at all, and if it is? Go do something else.

Easy peasy. The Starwars mmorpg has the backing of Lucas films and is put out/published by EA.
    So you have a reputable franchise owner backing a game packaged and produced by one of the biggest and most successfull gaming companies ever, They don't f*** up on a daily basis like craptic/pew does and aren't owned by a red chinese outfit that makes you use their cpu/ram/rom sucking useless platform launcher. Craptic has published what other products that have instant name recognition in the gaming industry? Pew has what other well known products? What other entity has done as much or more damage to a franchise with the following like Star Trek? Go back to your corporate masters and give them a refund, then go back to playing Yu Gi Oh.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    lindaleff wrote: »
    Cryptic, what you fail to realize is that we WERE running STFs. If anything, that is when looking for STF teams actually gets MORE active. In fact, I was 100% intending to visit STOrassic Park. Obtaining Marks to convert were half the reason to do this in the first place, and we can't get the Marks if we don't run STFs.

Since you took away the reason to run the STFs, I'm not going to play the STFs. Thank you for giving me another reason to NOT play.

Having foresight is apparently not just a problem for Cryptic, it is a problem for players too. It's really disappointing to be looking forward to this dilithium weekend for over a month only to have this happen.

It's like waiting for Christmas only to find your parents telling you there is no Santa Claus on Christmas morning.

To be fair, I do appreciate Mr. Ricossa owning it and attempting to play damage control by extending the dilithium weekend. I do appreciate the communication.

It is just disappointing and frustrating. I am a person who plans ahead. I legitimately feel like I am being punished for being smart and planning ahead.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    edited February 2015
    phreakbee wrote: »
    Easy peasy. The Starwars mmorpg has the backing of Lucas films and is put out/published by EA.
    So you have a reputable franchise owner backing a game packaged and produced by one of the biggest and most successfull gaming companies ever, They don't f*** up on a daily basis like craptic/pew does and aren't owned by a red chinese outfit that makes you use their cpu/ram/rom sucking useless platform launcher. Craptic has published what other products that have instant name recognition in the gaming industry? Pew has what other well known products? What other entity has done as much or more damage to a franchise with the following like Star Trek? Go back to your corporate masters and give them a refund, then go back to playing Yu Gi Oh.

1. Disney owns the franchise to Star Wars.

2. Gene Roddenberry sad to say, passed away years ago. He cannot assist in the development of STO.

3. You sir are diminishing the contributions of a whole race. The Chinese has made large contributions to the world.

4. Thank you for your text book example of ignorance.
  • razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,185 Arc User
    edited February 2015

First of all, I would like to apologize on behalf of the Star Trek Online team for the incorrect information posted in the Dilithium Weekend blog and the confusion that followed. Even though the in-game calendar text for the event is correct, we should have made doubly sure that the text in the blog was also correct. We have indeed adjusted the Dilithium Weekend. Unfortunately, the blog did not have the updated event information. I’m going to take it a moment to fully explain these changes and hopefully help everyone understand why these changes were made.

Our goal for the Dilithium Weekend is to provide the community of Star Trek Online with the opportunity to earn Dilithium at a significantly increased rate on any Dilithium earned through play for the duration of the weekend. As the event had been run over the last couple of years, we noticed a trend that fell out of line with the goal of players getting bonus Dilithium on anything they’ve earned through play over that weekend. While the earn rates for Dilithium remained fairly constant for any type of content that provided it as a reward, the earn rate for Dilithium that was collected using the mark conversion projects during the event skyrocketed. When we allowed mark conversion projects to gain a bonus during the Dilithium event, the vast majority of people were only using mark conversion projects during the event. By not offering a bonus on these projects, we are making mark conversion projects valid and valuable all the time, not only during the few Dilithium Weekends we run every year. We are committed to making sure that Dilithium is more available in game, and to that end we are currently working to introduce Dilithium rewards to episode and patrol play by the end of this month.

With that being said, it is understandably frustrating to expect one sort of bonus only to receive another. In order to make up for this error in communication, I will be converting the Dilithium Weekend we are running this weekend into a Dilithium Week. Everyone that logs into Star Trek Online can now earn Dilithium at an improved rate from the time you read this post through February 12th 2015 at 10 a.m. Again, I apologize for the lack of proper information in the blog and I look forward to seeing you in game and earning bonus Dilithium for an entire week.

Stephen Ricossa
    Executive Producer

I will try to be polite here, and use reason.

Recently, we got a nerf to content players are playing, and were told that the content players were not playing was getting more rewards. First, I would like to ask a question about this: "We are committed to making sure that Dilithium is more available in game, and to that end we are currently working to introduce Dilithium rewards to episode and patrol play by the end of this month."

Are these increases in association with the ones mentioned were only going to be in content players are not playing? Or will it be put into content players ARE playing?

Also, I wold ask that those of you developers that make these decisions consider a few things. We, the players have been getting nerf after nerf in the game, and the NPCs we have to fight are getting buffs after buffs. I know that at one point we did get a menial reduction in NPC for advanced queues. But, after that, the content that players were playing got a buff in favor of NPCs.

So, there has been a lot of stuff since DR that has lead to players quitting due to the unbalance, and constant grinding in the game. So, is the added Dil to content in the game going to be enough to offset the the loss that players will have for not being able to turn in Marks during the bonus Dil event?

And, if it is not going to be enough to make up for it, please consider another point: A lot of those players that ran the content to get all of those marks were only doing it for the bonus Dil event. So, with the marks no longer able to be turned in for bonus Dil, what do you think will happen? They will no longer have a reason to play that content.

In fact, after getting T5 in the rep systems, and getting all the gear you need from it, what is the point in going back anymore? Dil? Well, unless you are going to do a major nerf to the ground BZ, that is not a selling point. The R&D mats? Some may keep playing it for that. But the R&D is the only thing going for them now.

I understand that some nerfs are needed to provide balance in games. However, if there is an unbalance, and the nerf is going in the wrong direction, it will only make things worse.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • cwrichesonzenocwrichesonzeno Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'd like to see effective and accurate communication in STO's future. I think reconsidering how the Community Manager system works would be a good start. Community Managers should be informed, frequently interacting with the community, and responsible for maintaining clear lines of communication. Yet, I find Reddit is the only effective way to see what is going on in the game and even the game's Devs seem to prefer it to the official forums.
  • johnniemesojohnniemeso Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    who cares about who is the owner of starwars. star wars is lame

im just annoyed that they never indicated that they would suddenly change the rules

i've left off the t5 and marks for so long, now they tell me that they didn't want us to do that in the first place

i'm just gonna leave them undone since they will probably forget about this by the several months before the next time they have a dil event

also game is so laggy and the mine is slightly glitchy.

the public mine is suffering from problem of the game not appearing except after you click mine vein like 5 times and try at several different sites
    edited February 2015

First off in RECENT history, the aniversary rollout was buggered and took 5 days to half fix, then you throw this rubbish in our faces rather after the fact but the consumer of your product is wrong because you (not specifically, rather "a company is a person") right botched that as well. Now couple this with the rollout in the fall of 2014 being buggered to death, the Delta Rising ( that is the greatest, and all the players loved it) that was botched and buggered for days, space and ground trays that disappear, buying ships that refuse to let you rename them, toons that can't mail anything (even on the same account), going into a battle only to find all your bridge stations empty... and a rube goldberg bug/fault/complaint/customer service that ignores you when your product fails horribly to come through as promised. My train of thought just wandered there for a minute... Now just what was it you were saying about your unsatisfied customers being unduly hostile? I had been wanting to purchase a lifetime subscription up untill the DR fiasco, even though there were no tangible rewards or reasons to do so, now I'm considering not playing any of the rubbish here at all because of the atrocious way >>>CUSTOMERS<<< here are treated. There are people that have been loyal to the franchise since it's inception, that have had the same issues and/or bugs for the entirety of their tenure here. The best anniversary gift craptic/pew could've given would be to have fixed the majority of issues many/most of us have had.... But sadly, that's not a viable option it seems.
    edited February 2015
    puykonig wrote: »
    After last night patch you have just about kill the game for me. Life member andhave been patient for the last 4 years, with a lot of sleep less night grind and grind. now look like you have kill the game and may be even star trek for me.:mad::mad::mad
    if you going to do this to all your Fan base, why not just close the star trek game down and that it.

Where's the "like button" when you really need it?
    edited February 2015
    If Cryptic ever gets out of PWE's claws, then you can hope for a change. Hope and nothing else, really. EP has little to do with the policy of motivating veterans to search for other games.

It was going downhill even before chinapew took over, arc launcher be damned.
    edited February 2015
    1. Disney owns the franchise to Star Wars.

Lucas.

2. Gene Roddenberry sad to say, passed away years ago. He cannot assist in the development of STO.

WTF does that have to do with anything?

3. You sir are diminishing the contributions of a whole race. The Chinese has made large contributions to the world.

Your illiteracy is astounding, not to mention your ignorance. Mainland (red) china is the biggest contributor to copyright infringment, cyber attacks/theft , and knock off goods on the planet. But I'm sure you don't mind a semi hostile unscrupled nation having acess to your personal identifying information to include your credit card info.

4. Thank you for your text book example of ignorance.

Look in the mirror, flack.
    edited February 2015
    And it gets worse....So much worse....They gave EA exclusive rights to Star Wars games. EA!
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited February 2015

How the **** did this going from dilithium fiasco to Star Wars? :confused: