test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Old game copy reg key not working

officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
So i had bought a bunch of hard copies of STO to use their key to get sub time/zen/preorder rewards and there most of them worked fine, a few are not accepted with the msg in red saying they were already used (highly unlikely these were unused still in plastic).

What can i do? Submit a ticket? Call Cust serv? Consider it a loss and move on?

They were only $3.98/ea, so total about $11.94, i turn a profit if each worth 5 zen.

Anyone have this happen? Don't say they expire, many were valid incl preorder copies.
Post edited by officerbatman81 on

Comments

• Options
    grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    So i had bought a bunch of hard copies of STO to use their key to get sub time/zen/preorder rewards and there most of them worked fine, a few are not accepted with the msg in red saying they were already used (highly unlikely these were unused still in plastic).

They were only $3.98/ea, so total about $11.94, i turn a profit if each worth 5 zen.

Anyone have this happen? Don't say they expire, many were valid incl preorder copies.

Just because the 'keys' were still in plastic doesn't mean its impossible for someone else to 'guess' a correct key... At the price that you're quoting for the purchase, its probably not possible to return them for a 'refund', so if some of them worked, (which would be lucky for a discontinued retail product...) then I would take the profits from the speculation, and call it a loss for the bad ones....
  • Options
    prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2015

I don't think Cryptic will like this but in reality you're not doing anything wrong/illegal.... still, they may be less than helpful with your tickets.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • Options
    hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Just because the 'keys' were still in plastic doesn't mean its impossible for someone else to 'guess' a correct key...

Depending on what kind of channels you got them through... It's also trivially easy to re-wrap an opened box. With some practice you can do it with a heat gun, but the equipment to do it properly is not that hard to get access to.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The issue is between you and the vendor who you purchased the games from.

It is very easy to re-wrap opened boxes.
  • Options
    lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Some time last year, Cryptic actually got rid of the ability to use time card codes, which of itself was a fool move. So I assume the retail game codes were also disabled.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    IIRC the ones that didn't work came from the same vendor of ones that did, so I wasn't suspicious of the quality of the product. I was aware of the concept someone could have access to a retail shrink wrap machine. The plastic was of the same quality of ones that worked, not inconsistent or weird, and they had retail stickers on them.

The seller was on ebay and had a TRIBBLE ton of them, all best buy preorders. As if a store went out of business and didn't transfer their inventory to other stores, or a a store or warehouse was looted.

Anyways thanks for your input. I heard about how brain numbing support was and hesitant to contact them in even to make an attempt.
    I'll just forget about it. It's either what the santa terrier said or crypic will have a TRIBBLE you attitude because i was trying to get zen behind their backs thing.
  • Options
    genemorphgenemorph Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It's possible that those hard copies were from the time when STO was sub only, before it went hybrid, so each copy may represent a different account, i.e can't be added to a pre-existing account.

Read the first paragraph here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_Online
  • Options
    rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Even before they changed the primary code handling (it goes through ARC now), legacy codes wouldn't work more than once to register. You could upgrade, for example, but not run multiples of the same. I had 2 copies of the collector's edition. I tried to use the second one after-the-fact to get the free subscription for another period of time. Hey, I paid for them, right? I should get it, right? Well, no-go. It doesn't work that way. Once you have one collector's edition you cannot register another with a different key.

I ended up giving the key away to somebody in-game (randomly asked for volunteers), and it worked fine. I know the code wasn't bad.

The system just didn't want duplicate products.
  • Options
    beaver#8175 beaver Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    lindaleff wrote: »
    Some time last year, Cryptic actually got rid of the ability to use time card codes, which of itself was a fool move. So I assume the retail game codes were also disabled.

Cryptic did not disabile codes, and you can only use one key from each different version of the game, there are around 10 different versions you can apply to your account for the free month and 500 zen.
  • Options
    stormstrykestormstryke Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I thought they said even back then that you couldn't use multiple copies for sub time and only for the retail rewards that each one had.
    _____

Lifetime no longer gives a forum title. That should be updated on the Lifetime page that mentions what you get. PMing the CSR doesn't work neither.
  • Options
    beaver#8175 beaver Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    it worked for me...
  • Options
    hulluborghulluborg Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2015