test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Devs, if you don't want players to spend the whole weekend converting marks...

warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
...give them a way to convert marks that doesn't take the whole weekend to do.

I get it, you want players to play the game during dilithium bonus weekend, not sit in a corner converting marks. I agree. I don't want to sit in a corner converting marks either. But you're the ones who put that clickfest of a conversion system in. I'd rather pull a slider or type a number in a box to set the amount of marks to convert and get on with something more interesting, but the system requires me to manually start and fill projects 50 marks at a time and that takes forever.

Disqualifying the conversion projects from the weekend bonus may remove the incentive for everone to do so at once, but people still have to convert their excess marks at some time, and its a horrible, horrible chore. I'd rather take toilet-cleaning duty.

At least put up a second project that turns in 1,000 marks at a time, it can't be that much work.
Post edited by warpangel on

Comments

• hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    They want you to sit there converting marks. Time spent in-game is the only thing that matters to Cryptic. They want you logged into the game for as long as possible to promote "good" metrics. And they will do everything in their power to unnecessarily prolong everything you can do or obtain in this game.

The game probably isn't doing well, and they're desperate. And it's starting to show. More than ever before.
  • trekkietravistrekkietravis Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    hypl wrote: »
    They want you to sit there converting marks. Time spent in-game is the only thing that matters to Cryptic. They want you logged into the game for as long as possible to promote "good" metrics. And they will do everything in their power to unnecessarily prolong everything you can do or obtain in this game.

The game probably isn't doing well, and they're desperate. And it's starting to show. More than ever before.

You pretty much summed it up perfectly.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2015

Hence why they staggered the release of the Kobali set parts. They want players going into the anniversary mission each weak to be able to call it the most successful anniversary ever.
  • bobtheskull99bobtheskull99 Member Posts: 706 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    sigh, I know i'm going to take flack for pointing it out but, if you turned them in while you went INSTEAD of stockpiling them for months and months for one particular weekend, you wouldn't have to do all that clicking all at once
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I was deeply disappointed to see they have removed the marks bonus from the dil weekend, its just not worth looking forward to this event any more, this has totally killed the whole weekend event and turned it into a non-event in my eyes.
    its also killed the bonus marks weekend, whats the point of getting bonus marks if you are not going to get bonus dil when you convert them on the dil weekend.

sigh, I know i'm going to take flack for pointing it out but, if you turned them in while you went INSTEAD of stockpiling them for months and months for one particular weekend, you wouldn't have to do all that clicking all at once

it doesn't take that long to convert a few thousand marks and besides that is no excuse to penalise players, at the end of the day it makes no difference to the overall time it takes to convert marks if you do them as you go along or save them up and convert them in bulk.

if it takes 1 minute to convert 500 marks or 10 minutes to convert 5000 whats the difference.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    That's obviously wrong, because marks conversion is disqualified from the bonus. I and probably a whole lot of others were all set to spend the whole weekend logged on, converting marks, just like every time the dil bonus has run before. But now there's no more reason to do so.
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited February 2015

*sigh* And then you wouldn't have play during Dil Weekend anyway :P ... just come back on Tuesday ...
    warpangel wrote: »
    That's obviously wrong, because marks conversion is disqualified from the bonus.

Wait what, I was under the impression they just nerfed to T5 Rep Rewards ... not that it's bad enough ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
    edited February 2015
    Regardless of when you do it, it will take the same amount of time, the same amount of clicking and be just as boring and unnecessary a task.
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited February 2015

That's missing the point completely really. People were saving them up because past practice during dilithium events was the extra bonus you got from turning them in on this weekend. The OP is pointing out that if Cryptic wants people to play more instead of shuffling marks then Cryptic should have provided a better mechanism to convert larger amounts of marks quicker instead of ruining peoples expectations and hopes for another boost during dilithium weekend like they always got before but clearly not ever again now.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Agreed. I do keep a certain amount on hand for projects, if I decide to do one....but most of the time, I am turing in the overage to keep up the dil on a daily basis. Events like this were a nice boost, and kept me from going insane trying to work on upgrades - and earn dil - and do events - etc. - etc. - etc.

I quit spending money long ago - now, I am whitttling down the time I am spending on this game as well.
    edited February 2015
    warpangel wrote: »
    Regardless of when you do it, it will take the same amount of time, the same amount of clicking and be just as boring and unnecessary a task.

yes but you wouldn't be stockpiling them....meaning less clicking all at once
  • raeatraeat Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It has turned the dil weekend into a symbol of Cryptic's malice towards the players for me. Promises made and then revoked retroactively. If they wanted to do this, they should have told us before we invested our game hours earning, yes earning, rep marks and rep items.

After I learned about this, I logged off, and I haven't been able to even think about logging in again. Maybe that's what they want; who the **** knows anymore...?

And saving up marks/rep items for dil weekend is not illegitimate in any way. To suggest that it is, directly or indirectly, is disgusting white knighting. Wipe the brown off your nose and think about something other than just an opportunity to suck up and sound self-righteous while sucking.

And no, it is not "entitlement" to expect what you are promised. It's called "reasonable expectations."
    edited February 2015
    raeat wrote: »

And saving up marks/rep items for dil weekend is not illegitimate in any way. To suggest that it is, directly or indirectly, is disgusting white knighting. Wipe the brown off your nose and think about something other than just an opportunity to suck up and sound self-righteous while sucking.

The funny thing is, you can still stockpile "Dilithium Mining Claims" as much as you want ... and even get 100% Bonus, instead of 50% ... seems nobody has a problem with that, while stockpiling Marks is pure evil ...
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,267 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Meanwhile they will probably turn up and say it was a 'bug' and say sorry. Just after the event ends.
    edited February 2015
    The funny thing is, you can still stockpile "Dilithium Mining Claims" as much as you want ... and even get 100% Bonus, instead of 50% ... seems nobody has a problem with that, while stockpiling Marks is pure evil ...

you're still mining during the dil weekend itself, its hardly the same thing
    edited February 2015
    your still mining during the dil weekend itself, its hardly the same thing

You're also turning in Marks during the Dil Weekend itself ... the only difference is ~20 mouse-clicks ... it's not like Mining requires "more active" Participation ...
    edited February 2015
    You're also turning in Marks during the Dil Weekend itself ... the only difference is ~20 mouse-clicks ... it's not like Mining requires "more active" Participation ...

marks that you earned before the dil weekend...unless you consider turning them in to be "the hard part"
    edited February 2015
    marks that you earned before the dil weekend...unless you consider turning them in to be "the hard part"

Just like Dilithium claims you earned before the dil weekend ... seriously what's your point ...
    edited February 2015
    Well, I currently have about 5,000-6,000 Romulan marks per toon, mostly gained through epohh tagging...yeah, I'd say turning them in is the hard part. :mad:

EDIT: Or att least the time-consuming part. There isn't exactly any challenge involved in either phase.
  • keepitnastykeepitnasty Member Posts: 0
    edited February 2015
    Keep up the great work Cryptic! Your missteps never upset me...they only amuse me....and they seem to be getting better!

On the heels of another recent failed update...in which the forums lit up like a Christmas tree...you manage to make the most ill timed decision you could make...the mark to dilithium nerf...

Not only do members of your development and technology team seem to consistently upset players ...but now...your marketing team? Could this decision have been made at a worse time!?

WTF are you guys thinking!?

This level of marketing ineptitude is remarkable!

Again ...keep it up guys! Because just when you think things couldn't get any worse.....
  • tucana66tucana66 Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Maybe.

It's going to get verrrrry interesting in the next year as Star Citizen (among other highly-immersive games) start pulling players away from STO...

Note to PWE: "Immersive" does NOT equal grinding.
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Just like Dilithium claims you earned before the dil weekend ... seriously what's your point ...

How do you get mining claims without Zen being involved at some point?

Reputation marks don't involve Zen at all.

Mining claims come from lock boxes which needs keys to open and someone had to buy those keys with Zen at some point.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    edited February 2015
    How do you get mining claims without Zen being involved at some point?

Reputation marks don't involve Zen at all.

Mining claims come from lock boxes which needs keys to open and someone had to buy those keys with Zen at some point.

1. EC, Dilithium both rewards for playing the game, just like Marks
    2. So what ... do we need ZEN being involved to get ANYTHING in this game now ... probably ... that was kind of the point ... still not a fan, though ...certainly not paying MORE Zen, because of it either ... if this is what you're trying to say ...
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    1. EC, Dilithium both rewards for playing the game, just like Marks
    2. So what ... do we need ZEN being involved to get ANYTHING in this game now ... probably ... that was kind of the point ... still not a fan, though ...

That key you bought for EC was purchased with Zen at some point before you got it.

The difference between marks and mining claims is that mining claims already sucked in real money at some point in the transaction chain. They'd want you using them to your black heart's content.

Giving an unwanted 50% bonus to unmonetized Dil that really isn't subject to playtime constraints during the event screws with the supply in a way that makes Cryptic less money.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    edited February 2015
    The difference between marks and mining claims is that mining claims already sucked in real money at some point in the transaction chain. They'd want you using them to your black heart's content.

Well here is some crazy thought ... people playing the game, earning Marks ... not getting discouraged with every new Event - nerf & moving on ... might suck in even more RL-money :P

I might have checked out the 20% off Services Sale during the Weekend i.E. ... now I probably won't even bother logging in ...

PS : I was under the silly impression, those Weekend Events were supposed to draw in people, for that very reason ...