test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Voice Acting in STO

marshaldunnikmarshaldunnik Member Posts: 6 Arc User
Regarding voice acting in STO, I've never seen so many bad pseudo-British accents in one place. In fairness its a very difficult accent to do, mostly because there are so many kinds of British accents. But if you don't pick one - Yorkshire, Cockney, Received, etc., then what you end up with is a mess.

So please, Cryptic, just have your voice actors use their normal accents. You're just making your production seem low budget and amateurish. Like high school play amateurish.

Despite all that, I've always appreciated the effort that goes into voice acting many of the missions. Many MMOs will just have text. And there is still quality voice acting work to be found: Garret Wang's performance in Dust to Dust as both Captain and Ensign Kim is excellent.
Post edited by marshaldunnik on

Comments

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,516 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The only voice acting in the game I'd label terrible:

* The Guardian of Forever - such a fake cheesy mock-portentous tone. It did work for the snowman, but that character was supposed to be laughably cheesy.

* Denise Crosby's sector speech for (Tae Dewa?) where she intones "demons of air and darkness" as if she's telling a spooky story to kids around a campfire. Her other voice work is OK to good, but they really should re-record that line or drop the sector speech.
  • Options
    hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The only voice acting in the game I'd label terrible:

* The Guardian of Forever - such a fake cheesy mock-portentous tone. It did work for the snowman, but that character was supposed to be laughably cheesy.

* Denise Crosby's sector speech for (Tae Dewa?) where she intones "demons of air and darkness" as if she's telling a spooky story to kids around a campfire. Her other voice work is OK to good, but they really should re-record that line or drop the sector speech.

1. Have you seen the original episode? The Guardian is cheesy and mock-portentous.

2. Rather than "spooky story", I heard scare quotes*. "Deeemons... seriously, do any of you believe this superstitious twaddle? What will the traitors say next, that we are in terrible danger from the Easter Bunny?"

* "Ah yes, 'Iconians.' We have dismissed that claim."
  • Options
    herbiehdykemanherbiehdykeman Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    hfmudd wrote: »
    1. Have you seen the original episode? The Guardian is cheesy and mock-portentous.

."

True in all its appearances:

TOS "City on the Edge of Forever"
    TAS "Yesteryear"
    Star Trek New Voyages "In Harm's Way"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Commander Burgess gets on my nerves for that horrible fake accent every time. I'm not even British and it bothers me.

And Denise Crosby's voice acting...definitely my least favorite of the guest stars Cryptic has had.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    gulberat wrote: »
    Commander Burgess gets on my nerves for that horrible fake accent every time. I'm not even British and it bothers me.

And Denise Crosby's voice acting...definitely my least favorite of the guest stars Cryptic has had.

I love Denise, but she is horrible. Around the house we often do impressions: PLEASE - PASSS - THE - SALT.

And fake Picard is very silly.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Commander Burgess's accent is so bad...that it's good. I'm willing to forgive it.

Besides, it's Jon St. John. DUKE NUKEM! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    hypl wrote: »
    Commander Burgess's accent is so bad...that it's good. I'm willing to forgive it.

Besides, it's Jon St. John. DUKE NUKEM! :rolleyes:

If it’s him then everything should be forgiven, even Delta Rising. :cool:
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    defalusdefalus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Kurland Here!

Kurland Here!

Kurland Here!

Kurland Here!

Drives me nuts, Kurland needs a new V.O. badly.

Sorry Bort. :P
    Crosby's voice acting sounds like she is reading to a child, very annoying.
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    you want a british accent? hire out an ordinary british man to read some lines in the recording studio, give him some money and send him on his way for his troubles. problem solved. i bet there are a few brits living in the usa who retain their strong accents. and each area has its own accent.

the difference between Gordie, Liverpudlian, and those from the home counties are remarkably different. just listen to a few, some accents can be so thick you may not understand a word at first.

maybe cryptic could kill two birds with one stone, when i was watching the a-team a few times i noticed that Dwight Schultz did a passable English accent when in his character role as howlin mad. I mean bring Barclay into the role on STO and i bet Dwight could do a few other characters including Burgess.

did you know he did navigator Pressly on Mass Effect? and i didn't even recognize his voice when he did it, so convincing. so i hope he can still do this.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    axegaijin13axegaijin13 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Argh yeah Denise Crosby... so horrible in "Temporal Ambassador" but I feel she really redeemed herself in the Romulan mission as Sela, it shows she was a VO rookie in "Temporal Ambassador".
  • Options
    krisrobertskrisroberts Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    defalus wrote: »
    Kurland Here!

Kurland Here!

Kurland Here!

Kurland Here!

Drives me nuts, Kurland needs a new V.O. badly.

Sorry Bort. :P

This and

We can't stop till the Vaadwaur.....

:eek:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    We can't stop till the Vaadwaur Rock!
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2015
    Regarding voice acting in STO, I've never seen so many bad pseudo-British accents in one place. In fairness its a very difficult accent to do, mostly because there are so many kinds of British accents. But if you don't pick one - Yorkshire, Cockney, Received, etc., then what you end up with is a mess.

I can think of three, the Denobulan captain in the tutorial, the Scottish commander of DS9, and the head of SI. You're right, all three have bad accents, but I'm sure that's only apparent to actual British people.

But as I've said before having a character with a thick south Yorkshire accent would be hilarious :D.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    medalionemissarymedalionemissary Member Posts: 612 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I think it's great Denise Crosby is still lending her name to Star Trek projects after all these years

But of all the Canon Star Trek actors to do voice over work... agreed, she needs better direction... I mean, not everybody is cut out to do this kind of work to do voice-overs.
    Deep Space Nine in HD, make it so!
  • Options
    bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Cryptic, if you want a british voice actor, heres one close to you she does the local radio station for us in reno, its 93.7 BOB fm, 80s 90s whatever.... now imagine that with a female brit saying it lol...

Michaela James, her facebook is even labeled as entertainer, im sure she be more than happy to phone a few lines in.

(and yes shes lived here for like 30 plus years er something)
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

• Options
    antzudanantzudan Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I am British and don't mind Commander Burgess's accent. I'm more annoyed that he keeps trying to boss me around even though he's about 5 ranks below me. Excuse me Burgess, but I think I'll be the one directing our efforts in the entire quadrant not some lowly commander...

Other Voice Acting, very hit and miss. Mostly it annoys me that it's so poorly recorded. I can hardly hear half of what Seven says in most missions, especially when there's sound effects going off. Would it have killed them to have compressed it a bit more?

As for the good and bad, I agree that Garrett Wang was fantastic in Dust to Dust, probably the only time I've come close to feeling any emotion other than laughter at the storytelling in STO (except perhaps my abject terror during Hearts and Minds, really wish that mission was available year round).

Whoever did Hakeev is terrible. So over-the-top, I know that's partly down to the writing but it's a real shame because apart from that the Romulan Missions are some of the best in game.
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    antzudan wrote: »
    Whoever did Hakeev is terrible. So over-the-top, I know that's partly down to the writing but it's a real shame because apart from that the Romulan Missions are some of the best in game.

Perhaps the VA read the lines, and then just thought they wanted him to ham it up? :D
  • Options
    walligigwalligig Member Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    When it comes to over the top voice acting, nothing is worse then the Vorta (I forgot her name) that takes over DS9 during the Dominion missions. It makes me cringe when I have to play those missions.

Sense I mentioned my least favorite I will also mention my favorite. Adm. Tnea or Tnae or whatever her name is during the Romulan missions. It is kind of a shame that not all of her dialogue is voiced. I am surprised that didn't happen during the Romulan story arch revamp. Anyways I think she nailed the vulcan persona. Also I don't mind Denise Crosby's performance. True It does not seem like the same Sela we saw in Redemption and Unification, but a lot has happened to that character sense then so it is understandable.
    sstosig2.png
  • Options
    hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    antzudan wrote: »

Oh, he's absolutely intended to be completely over-the-top. Like, one notch short of Chaotica, maybe. He's The Villain(tm). If you don't like that part of the character, I understand, but the actor nailed it, IMO.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    walligig wrote: »
    When it comes to over the top voice acting, nothing is worse then the Vorta (I forgot her name) that takes over DS9 during the Dominion missions. It makes me cringe when I have to play those missions.

Sense I mentioned my least favorite I will also mention my favorite. Adm. Tnea or Tnae or whatever her name is during the Romulan missions. It is kind of a shame that not all of her dialogue is voiced. I am surprised that didn't happen during the Romulan story arch revamp. Anyways I think she nailed the vulcan persona. Also I don't mind Denise Crosby's performance. True It does not seem like the same Sela we saw in Redemption and Unification, but a lot has happened to that character sense then so it is understandable.

funnily enough loriss is actually better then t'nae on voice over, t'nae's is a bit inconsistent on the strength of the accent and so any believability is lost in translation, you notice it after a few episodes are played where she is involved. the only bit that i didnt like about loriss is that the voice over comes off as being a bit pretentious from times, otherwise it fits the role. same cant be stated of the monotone kar'ukan and most of the other characters, kills off a lot of believability.
  • Options
    walligigwalligig Member Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Actually while on the subject, who voiced the Female Changling. I mean wasn't it Salome Jens was it.
    sstosig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    hfmudd wrote: »
    Oh, he's absolutely intended to be completely over-the-top. Like, one notch short of Chaotica, maybe. He's The Villain(tm). If you don't like that part of the character, I understand, but the actor nailed it, IMO.

thats why i like the hakeev character, hes the only real bad guy on sto the dev team every fleshed out correctly and the voice over is appropriate, but you cant hide that accent from other characters that dave rivas has done. i hope the sto devs come up with another villain thats just as compelling as hakeev was. too bad they killed him off. coulda lead us across the galaxy hunting hakeev down :P.