test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

R&D Research XP Boosts

Comments

• gameversemangameverseman Member Posts: 1,110 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    gaullt wrote: »
    Load a full hopper of "What he said" into the DNS guns at Anonymouse..........

hmmmmmm....
    signature.png
  • geminisierrageminisierra Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    please stop useless additions and fix the problems in the game before adding new stuff.... sheesh... will they never learn
    edited February 2015
    please stop useless additions and fix the problems in the game before adding new stuff.... sheesh... will they never learn

*Cough* 3-year old cloaking bug *Cough*
    signature.png
  • squadalaxdsquadalaxd Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Are you brain damaged ?! Remove this insulting ****. If ANYONE buys even one of this **** i am selling my pc and giving all my money to charity. Sigh.. Oh yeah server died, how about fixing that before insulting us with this horrible "boosts"
    edited February 2015
    squadalaxd wrote: »
    Are you brain damaged ?! Remove this insulting ****. If ANYONE buys even one of this **** i am selling my pc and giving all my money to charity. Sigh.. Oh yeah server died, how about fixing that before insulting us with this horrible "boosts"

Whats the point? Fixing the server wont fix the game... but at least they are willing to do that much. They have no problem taking our money.
    signature.png
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    squadalaxd wrote: »

I bought one in your honor.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • vandread010vandread010 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'd rather urinate molten silica than waste my $$$$ on this.

I have two questions that need immediate answering:

Who's idea was this? And how soon and this person be fired?
    [SIGPIC]http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab53/Vandread010/apoph_zpscc05f31f.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Oh the humanity.... Oh the insanity.... Oh the Empty Queue bugs....
  • picard99picard99 Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Yahoo :) More stuff i won't buy :)
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I have to agree with every post in this thread: Those boosts are WAY TOO EXPENSIVE for TOO LITTLE RESULT. I mean $8 for 10XP? Fuggettabout!

:rolleyes:

Gavinruneblade I think said it best:

Trendy, perhaps a graphic will help you understand why the boosts are woefully overpriced for how tiny the benifit is.

It takes 630,000 xp to reach level 15 in one crafting school.

X = one small boost
    Xxxxx = one large boost.

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <--- 630,000 exp

This is applying one small plus one large boost. Do you see why the numbers are too small now? Can you please get this communicated to the powers that be?

The same problem exists for all the boost items.

I will not be wasting my money on these new products. Nothing to see here, move along. Move along.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,883 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Can we have an XP or Specialization BOOST as well? This would be a great moneymaker for STO and willing to empty my pockets for that one :D
    DUwNP.gif

• crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,883 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Is it April 1st today?

LOL who needs to play the game for entertainment, the blogs and resulting forum storms are far more entertaining and free! Free 2 Laugh!

wow...I will use this as a quote...nice one DUDE :cool:
    DUwNP.gif

• iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Uh, thanks for spending development time on this, I guess.

Try removing (or at least reducing) the upgrade costs and make the boost relative to the skill you're getting R&D XP towards. The climb from 15-20 is a lot different from 1-5.

Not really sure who asked for this to be added to the Zen store, so thanks Marketing? :confused:
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Who in their right mind would even consider buying this?

The numbers are horribly off. That XP boost needs to be at least 10x higher until it becomes even remotely viable.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • loverofwarsloverofwars Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    at 163 dil per zen it requires 900 dil x4 = 3600 dil so 23 zen 3749 for 2400 crafting xp

compare

200 zen v 2000 crafting xp

interesting
  • captwilhelmcaptwilhelm Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    With this price, I will not buy it in a million years. My feedback: Keep the price, but raise the pool for more reasonable amounts. How about something in the range of 50k-100k?

Edit: BTW. If these are fixed to give a more reasonable amount of Crafting XP, I will probably expend all my zen and dilithium on those things *hint* *hint*
    Pre-forum change name: Captain Wilhelm

Thanks Cryptic for introducing the Kelvin Timeline. It remembered why I decided to never more put any money on this game.
  • gravitonwavegravitonwave Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I can't speak for any other player, but I have banned myself from spending any more money on this game until Cryptic starts treating it like an actual commercial product and performs proper software lifecycle maintenance on it as any other professional IT/software company does. For 5 years now Cryptic has been selling a beta test version of a future commercial release (as evidenced by immortal bugs in the core programming of the game), then making further profit by selling Alpha test versions of future commercial expansions (Delta Rising was in Alpha development stages when they forced it down our throats at 160$ a shot). If STO was a tangible, physical product or service instead of a nebulous MMO the company would be facing charges for fraud and lawsuits for breach of contract.

I concede that in the software world ALL programs and projects will have unforseen bugs and issues, but *REAL* software companies don't have major issues with commercial releases for at least a month... DR's first major bug/issue was what, 45 seconds after it went live?

We as players need to finally wake up and realize that Cryptic will continue to force feed us substandard, unprofessional content as long as we're still spending money. If you want this garbage to stop, quit buying zen, expansions, or lifetime subscriptions until there is a noticeable decrease in bugs and flaws as well as a corresponding improvement in customer support and bug/support ticket resolution. Withhold your money until Cryptic addresses the bugs and flaws that never die. Don't give them a dime until they (through adequate, professional programming and debugging) EARN it with a quality product, not the half assed meth lab they're currently selling us.
  • colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Just a thought:

These are ridiculous. You can get 6-7k free daily just by clicking a button.

The reason why most people are not doing R&D/crafting is that:

1.) It costs dilithium.
    You can argue only the application of tech costs dilithium (the Omega upgrade being an attempt to say - hey - try this for free), but every step in the development process has this dilithium time gate that says 'HA HA, YOU NEED TO SPEND DIL. It was very poorly marketed ;)

2.) You've priced the process out of the range of the casual player.
    The amount of dil a player has to commit over the life of ONE ALT is ridiculously high. For many of us with dedicated player styles and MULTIPLES of alts, it's cost prohibitive. I've spent over $500 and I'm still not done upgrading (multiple alts).

Anyone with basic math skills can figure out that crafting early (before you reach lvl 15) is RIDICULOUSLY OVERPRICED. It's cheaper to buy someone elses drops than make your own stuff..

Worse still, you've made everything harder making upgrades a necessity, and you've had the balls to put the best stuff out of the reach of the average casual player. Reason #264 why the queues are empty.

At the end of the day you've created a bigger problem than you intended. Offering us another way to pay to make it 'more acceptable' isn't the solution.

ive gotten to level 15 and thought OK FINALLY, I'll start upgrading! So I need a bazillion of these upgrades to get something to XIV. Oh wait. It takes very rare materials I can only get by playing certain missions or spending way too much EC on. So I can grind missions I was sick of a long time ago and don't enjoy or put up with FAILING because there is some "optional" that either is unclear or has a .000005% margin of error.

Also not to mention that there is time gate so I need to wait around for these upgrades to process
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I can't speak for any other player, but I have banned myself from spending any more money on this game until Cryptic starts treating it like an actual commercial product and performs proper software lifecycle maintenance on it as any other professional IT/software company does. For 5 years now Cryptic has been selling a beta test version of a future commercial release (as evidenced by immortal bugs in the core programming of the game), then making further profit by selling Alpha test versions of future commercial expansions (Delta Rising was in Alpha development stages when they forced it down our throats at 160$ a shot). If STO was a tangible, physical product or service instead of a nebulous MMO the company would be facing charges for fraud and lawsuits for breach of contract.

I concede that in the software world ALL programs and projects will have unforseen bugs and issues, but *REAL* software companies don't have major issues with commercial releases for at least a month... DR's first major bug/issue was what, 45 seconds after it went live?

We as players need to finally wake up and realize that Cryptic will continue to force feed us substandard, unprofessional content as long as we're still spending money. If you want this garbage to stop, quit buying zen, expansions, or lifetime subscriptions until there is a noticeable decrease in bugs and flaws as well as a corresponding improvement in customer support and bug/support ticket resolution. Withhold your money until Cryptic addresses the bugs and flaws that never die. Don't give them a dime until they (through adequate, professional programming and debugging) EARN it with a quality product, not the half assed meth lab they're currently selling us.

the problem is its like booze. I forget the exact statistics but 5% of drinkers buy like 60% of the booze. IE seruious alcoholics.

This is the Cryptic model. They make their money off a handful of users.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zidanemorzidanemor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Yeeeaah no.

Way to expensive for the amount the boost gives, like the xp boost this is frankly a complete rip off.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    For the same price (800zen), I can make at least 42000 R&D xp, which is A LOT more than 10000 xp.

800zen = 128k dil (1:160 ratio), which is 6-7 "finish now" on the daily R&D project.

I could conclude with some joke on Cryptic's maths, but that would be low, and I'll just let the numbers talk by themselves.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Dear Mt Ricossa,

This latest offer demonstrates precisely what's wrong with STO right now.

Blatant endless, lazy money grabbing, above all other considerations.

Why lazy?
    Because of instead of actually spending the time and resources developing something we might actually want to spend money on, something, I don't know, ... FUN.

We are offered this ...., To boost an arduous R&D system grind that was set up that way purposely, to gouge us.

And yet STILL the lingering "quality of life" issues like the messed up power tray bug and severe server lag persist.

Thanks but no thanks for the boosts, and I'll be avoiding that fustercluck that is R&D for as long as I possibly can, and still play the game.

It's painfully obvious that we're being pushed to play the game in a way to simply maximize profits to the detriment of any entertainment value.

I believe that this is one of the real reasons the exploration missions were removed from the game, to focus us on the content "some" want us to play, without competition or distractions to that agenda.
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    This is price gouging. God forbid you put a boost in the store that's actually worth what you're charging for it.

-edit- To be clear, I'm not opposed to the concept of the various point/skill/xp boosters in the store (I like the idea), but as with most f2p games that nickel and dime you, the price per point on them is ludicrous due to the vast number of points needed to fill up the associated buckets to advance the systems in question. 10k is a drop in the bucket when the bucket need hundreds of thousands to millions of points to make any significant advance.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • valenn1valenn1 Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    800 Zen? this would only make sense for a pack of ten 10k boosters!
    Who did the math with the boosters? (...ALL boosters)
    Beta, LTA, CE, Multiple preorder Versions, all Addon Packs except AoY, nearly all KDF/Rom and ~50% of all Fedships, over 25 LockboxShips, Endurer of Atari's "Year of Hell", but...
    unfortunately:

NOT LOYAL ENOUGH!!!
  • jackal1701apwjackal1701apw Member Posts: 669 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Lol.

Omg.

Haha.

Pricing to benefit of these boosts is as pathetic as those on the XP boosts.

What kind of total fool with no grasp of even basic primary school level arithmetic comes up with this ****?!

To get to Level 20 in ONE school requires 2,070,000 R&D XP.
    Therefore the total XP required to max all schools is 14,490,000.
    A large boost is 10,000.

These boost give an extra 20% XP , you would therefore need over 240 of the larger boosts just to increase your progress by a measly 1/5. This costs approaching $2,000.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH.
    NO.

Drop a zero off the price (20/80 zen) AND add a zero to the value of the boost (20,000 and 100,000) then you are approaching fair value ($20 total cost to increase your R&D progress by a factor of 20%).

Best part about this is these stupid things are now dropping in lockboxes, and if you think this is their fair value then it is rather worrying. They are total garbage, greatly decreasing the expected value from the lockbox, so you are effectively ****ing up that revenue stream as well...

Good Job. You made me laugh alot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

...#LLAP...
  • eurialoeurialo Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Is It a Joke? Tell me It's a joke, because if not it's insulting.

I play STO since a little before F2P, and I was so entusiastic to buy a recurrent subscription for about one year and then buy a LT subscription. I had build several toons both fed and kdf to play pvp and pve... each toon had it's own ship, gears and specific build for a different play style... It was really fun until you start adding content that forced us to grind: reputations (not 1-2, but 5-6), star bases and holdings, specializations, level cap increase, gear's upgrading... All of them are good idea, but you abused of them requiring us to start grinding huge amount of resources and exp...
    Moreover what first was specific to a faction is now shared and you stopped developing specific klingon contents, the result is that now there is no need to have a kdf toon and all of the huge amount of resources and time I spent to develope my kdf fleet is wasted.

And what you do now? trying to sell us items to reduce the "need to grind" you created. Moreover with crazy prices...

And what about all the bug and the lag we have?

This is insulting and a invite to leave the game...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Playing STO spamming FAW is like playing chess using always the computer's suggested moves
  • crowley875crowley875 Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Nope.

/10chars.
  • bitterscotbitterscot Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    10 pages of complaints, so, um, best booster ever and the players love it?

Sorry, I'm weak and couldn't resist :(
    [6:07] [Combat (Self)] Your Dual Antiproton Banks - Overload III deals 166213 (61268) Antiproton Damage(Critical) to Gateway.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It's been kind of annoying getting the smalls out of lock boxes. :(

Then again, let's take a look at the other boosts for sale, yeah?

Commendation (Large) 800 Zen for 20% up to 10,000 CXP.
    Commendation (Small) 200 Zen for 20% up to 2,000 CXP.
    XP (Large) 975 Zen for 20% up to 10,000 SP.
    XP (Small) 200 Zen for 20% up to 3,000 SP. (Is that a typo or is it actually 3k instead of 2k?)

So they're adding...

R&D (Large) 800 Zen for 20% up to 10,000 RP.
    R&D (Small) 200 Zen for 20% up to 2,000 RP.

And what? Lol, c'mon...I can't see why folks are getting all antagonistic over this. I mean, personally, I always thought it was a case that PWE told Cryptic they had to put in some boosts...but Cryptic thought boosts were stupid, so they made the most ridiculous boosts and priced them at insane costs so nobody would touch them. They could turn to PWE and say, "Well, we put them in - not sure why nobody's buying them." Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.
  • darthpostaldarthpostal Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Quick math:

10 000 XP = 1.5 Research Projects
    You can instantly complete those 1.5 research projects for 1.5x18k=27k Di.
    27k Di = 170 Zen at current exchange rates.

Question: why would I pay 800 Zen when I can get same result with 170 Zen?
  • humblesheephumblesheep Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    We're pleased to announce the arrival of our new R&D Research XP Boosts that will help Captains get a leg up on your research!

These will be available to Captains in the Zen Store on February 5th, 2015.

~LaughingTrendy

I do hope you advertise these boosts on the login screen, I would hate to think that all the ridicule you are incurring is limited to this forum.