test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What if Cryptic removed PVP from STO...

virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
edited February 2015 in PvP Gameplay
...and sold it as a standalone game?

What if it was B2P, along the lines of some of the old FPS/RTS/TPS titles or things like GW/etc...where you bought the client, and that got you some initial stuff. Not talking a huge investment here, not talking current box prices or the like - just some initial buy in cost.

Then from there, what if they sold things along the lines of what you see in games like MWO/WoT/etc...and things like that, eh?

Perhaps they were to sell various map packs or gametype packs - various collections.

Various other things, along those lines...but where the focus was mainly on trying to balance the PvP and so forth?

Something that had some casual skirmish pew pew action, had different Arenas with a leaderboard, had Campaign play that was tracked over a period of time via different scenario play, and well...various bells and whistles.

Would it be something that could stand on its own...create a profit...and be a source of revenue for Cryptic/PWE?

Or would it fall flat on its face and be the kind of colossal mess that cost jobs?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    HEck NO.

I would never ever ever ever ever pay them more money for something that should exist in the game.

I will agree with you though that it is time to put up or shut up.

They have revamped all the systems needed to convert STO PvP to a GW2 Style PvP experience. As I see it for me to really honestly care about STO anymore they can either implement a system like that in STO right now minus ALL P2W that has made there PvP a joke after such a promising start 5 years ago. OR option 2 delete it... remove the ques and admit that they don't see a revenue stream there and don't care.

At this point PvP is the only major system to not be overhauled and it is glaringly the worst part of the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • scurry5scurry5 Member Posts: 1,554 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    If they had started off that way, they would have a shot.

Now, however, I doubt it. They've built up way too much bad feeling for many here to trust them with even more money. It would just seem like a moneygrab for something they should have done from the beginning.
  • wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    hmm.... very interesting but high-hypothetical thought. i'd buy it! better than most of the alternatives imo, as i WANT a sto-pvp environment one could work with.
  • sharxtremesharxtreme Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    they should never fix PvP
    here join the fight,
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1366191
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    making all gear leveless would go a LOOOOONG way toward making pvp nearly playable. at level 60, you got a fair amount more hitpoints, so you can soak broken TRIBBLE a lot easier, almost to the point that its not broken. and really, most of its only broken when you run mk14 versions of stuff.

with no mk14, there is no neutronic 1 shot, CRF vape, SS vape, there's a decent chance you can survive some ionic, particle gens are a bit less powerful, but not nerfed the same magnitude as actual weapons, but some.

i'd totally log on to play pvp again if they did that, id consider spending money too, buy new ships, maybe even grind some specilization from time to time.

but pvpers can skip the up upgrade monopolization thats currently paying the bills at cryptic! not entirely, with leveless gear, rarity will mater quite a bit. he who has gold, will have quite an advantage over he with just purple.
    edited February 2015

with no mk14, there is no neutronic 1 shot, CRF vape, SS vape,

I beg to differ:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NtDznbRz5w

Not only its MKXII i used in this video but i also got 2 or 3 people not even in my field of vision with a spread. no torp consoles.
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    sharxtreme wrote: »
    I beg to differ:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NtDznbRz5w

Not only its MKXII i used in this video but i also got 2 or 3 people not even in my field of vision with a spread. no torp consoles.

on a romulan character with an enhanced battlecloak. thats a bit of an edge case. just mentined in another thread, but to further fix on the neutronic i'd remove the damage buff per torp applied by spread, so it fires how ever many torps, but all at just thier base damage.
    edited February 2015
    on a romulan character with an enhanced battlecloak. thats a bit of an edge case. just mentined in another thread, but to further fix on the neutronic i'd remove the damage buff per torp applied by spread, so it fires how ever many torps, but all at just thier base damage.
    you dont want to see what my scimi can do with neutronics.
    its not even funny.
    that sht is totaly overpowered for pvp.

but that's not even the worst. You know that you can fire iso cannon from regular battlecloak?
    360 degree firing arc, 100% acc, 100% crth with trait, boosted by partigens(let's say 500), tac skills, everything. recharge time under 60 sec.
    Best weapon set in game far and wide. iso cannon/neutronic delta set.
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    HEck NO.

I would never ever ever ever ever pay them more money for something that should exist in the game.
    Amen to that!
    I will agree with you though that it is time to put up or shut up.

Preach IT! Preach it!
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I think it might have a chance. Historically, the default setting for multi-player Trek games is PVP; there is a long and relatively well thought-of series of wargames to prove it. STO is the outlier in that regard.

While I can provide no evidence to support it, my gut feeling is that the un-trek-ness of the current PVP game is also part of its problem. At launch, you had a default of two factions with different design philosophies going at each other; fast, light, stealthy Klingon vessels vs slower, tougher starfleet designs. But importantly, it felt like a Star Trek-based scenario.

Now, it's a free-for-all of the latest Delta Quadrant specialty and a random mix of Fed / Klingon / Romulan on each side; basically, "generic space MMO". The Trek fans - who I suspect are what keeps this game afloat - have no incentive to be there. OTOH, back in PVE-land you still see a majority of identifiable ships working within a Dominion War-style alliance.
  • antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015

From what I have seen comapred to the other rep torps Neutronic applies at leas 100% more dmg. IT needs to be brought in line with the other rep torps in general. Making it so much better was a stupid move... and right as they where adding all the other junk... has been part of what has finally killed PvP in this game.

If they wanted to buff torps they started doing it right now... although it might be a bit to late. The vaadw weapons (once they fix the proc chance) is a good move for torps... and the newest spec is as well... also the new command skills are a nice buff with concentrate fire power. They have to get away from releasing "Super Weapons" cause there game breaking in PvP AND PvE. We don't need super gate one shot mines... and we don't need super one shot torps ect.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • captainmatt2captainmatt2 Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    what if the world were all candy canes and pixie sticks and nobody ever hurt you...

BOLLOCKS

if the game was singleplayer who would you verbally diarhea all over every opportunity you get? 15k +archived posts= 100,000 nerdling comments
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    No.

I don't care what they would do now. Even if they did ALL we wanted, it is simply too late now. Even if they handed it over for free, I still wouldn't. I have no interest in it anymore because I consider it all too far-gone, and it is far too late for them to make it up now.

And besides, this is just presuming they even DID make a PvP thing that we would want it to be in the first place, and not mess up royally.

That ship sailed with DR for me. It was casting off in season 9, but for sure it's out to sea now with DR.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    what if the world were all candy canes and pixie sticks and nobody ever hurt you...

BOLLOCKS

if the game was singleplayer who would you verbally diarhea all over every opportunity you get? 15k +archived posts= 100,000 nerdling comments

Sadly, the world is full of forum warriors. Even going back to the tabletop wargaming world, it was interesting to compare the bile and venom of online forums with the friendly, welcoming atmosphere of conventions and even tournaments.

It's sad that we seem to forget the people on the other end of the line are, in fact, people.