test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Omega mini game

fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
edited February 2015 in The Academy
Is there a special 'tactic' to get a high score, like some number of these, followed by another set of those? I just saw a youtube of someone that got to 2600 particles. I can come to someting between 450 and 550. I have normally no problem with minigames, so what is the trick?
Post edited by fovrel on

Comments

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    My highest so far is 550 :( so any expert tips are welcome for me too.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Same here... I usually get between 500 and 700.

:(
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Having only played the game once and seen it played only a handful of times, this mini game reminds me a lot of Guitar Hero. Perhaps that's what the Devs were shooting for, I don't know. All I do know is I absolutely suck at Guitar Hero type games and this one is no exception. Although I guess I have a smidge better time with it than others apparently.

I'm averaging between 800 and 1000 with a personal best of 1600, but with that one the particles rarely moved from the top 2 lines. Of course, that's when the game actually plays for the full 50 seconds, since a lot of the time I will start the game and within seconds the game ends. I still get my reward, but it makes practicing more difficult. Also, apparently if you get a good enough score, you can earn Slivers and Shards, but I have no idea what kind of score is required for those since I've yet to get one.

When I asked in one of the chat channels I'm in how I could improve my score, the general advice was to use the mouse. I tried the mouse and I didn't even break 400, so it has been and probably always will be just the keyboard for me.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Not that I'm aware off. Good reflexes & luck that its not disturbed by bugs/lags. Since outcome is always one paticle, I assume its bugged. Personal best 1700 (also only one common particle). But I did got a uncommon sliver yesterday on a ~900 rating; so thats completly random too.

The difference between doing the minigame or just letting the time pass is that the minigame kills the time better :P
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I got a little better day 2 with more practice, I'm often getting 900 - 1,000. For me the key was realizing the capture happens a little bit before I expect it to -- you should already be moving away as the particle crosses the bar. I use the mouse.

Not that my higher score matters, I still just get a trace.
  • Options
    jarvisandalfredjarvisandalfred Member Posts: 1,549 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2015
    I haven't hit a perfect score, but I'm usually over 2k, so here's my 2 pieces of advice:

First, use the mouse. A high sensitivity is ideal (mine's at 1200 dpi, as a matter of preference), so that you can use it fast. Trying to use the keyboard simply takes too long.

Secondly, learn to bounce. The particles start a new animation once you've gotten credit for them, the second you see the start of that animation, bounce your mouse to the next spot.
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

SCM - Hive (S) - [02:31] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 30.62M(204.66K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

Build questions? Look here!
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I can't really give much advice yet since I only started the event yesterday.

I basically use the keyboard and have so far been able to get 1,750 points at best and typically over 900. With the mouse I think the best I got is 900, but I only just started trying this method. I use the Logitech Performance MX mouse which has a DPI somewhere between 1000 - 1400. However, it sometimes lag a bit so I might need to increase mouse sensitivity in the game.
  • Options
    eurialoeurialo Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Concentration, reflexes, a good mouse, speed and practice...
    My best score is 2.2k and usualli my score il 1600-2000.

...and yes... some luck, because of lag.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Playing STO spamming FAW is like playing chess using always the computer's suggested moves
  • Options
    jerichoredoranjerichoredoran Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The only real tip: use your mouse.
    You can mousover the whole line, not only the last sector, if that helps you.

2k is not very difficult after a bit of training, but as already stated the reward is still somewhat rng. Regularly get traces for 2600 (max score i think)...
  • Options
    coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Are we suppose to get over 300 points to complete the omega? I didn't think it would go that high. I use the mouse. I'll try the keyboard next time. But under FED and ROM Fed Alliance ESD Omega not working or can't get complete I don't use the word Bug but sure is broken. Been like that since they moved it from Bajor to ESD. But on the KDF side no issues.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • Options
    jerichoredoranjerichoredoran Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Do the daily only on one char. The others do "Dust to Dust" once for the 400 Qs and you finally only need 40 of them to get the ship. So in your place I wouldnt bother with the FED daily...