test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The future of STO's media presence

inkrunnerinkrunner Member Posts: 407 Arc User
edited February 2015 in Ten Forward
As some of you may be aware, the only website that covers STO with anything resembling frequency will be shutting down.

What does this mean for STO in the future? I don't know, and to be honest I don't really care. I just thought that those of you who didn't know about this already should hear it.
2iBFtmg.png
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,389 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    When I saw the title of the thread, my first response was, "STO has a media presence??"
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    When I saw the title of the thread, my first response was, "STO has a media presence??"

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure that this changes much - but publicity is publicity, and losing an entire avenue for it (arguably the most well-known avenue at that) probably isn't a good thing.
    2iBFtmg.png
  • Options
    pherraspherras Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    So sad been going there for years : (
  • Options
    jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    inkrunner wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm not entirely sure that this changes much - but publicity is publicity, and losing an entire avenue for it (arguably the most well-known avenue at that) probably isn't a good thing.

They have two more widely known mediums available...

TWITTER
    FACEBOOK

which they use often

Also Star trek.com which would draw lots towards this game.

So tbh until I played STO I hadn't even heard of massively tbh so men.
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    echelonalphaechelonalpha Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I honestly don't know anyone that read Massively unless there was an article linked on the STO newsfeed. If anything, I think STO gave more of a media presence to that site..
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    "Massively's writers are second to none in the MMO genre"

I lol'd.

A random user comment from MMORPG.com was usually more coherent and informative than anything at Massively.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    jam3s1701 wrote: »
    They have two more widely known mediums available...

TWITTER
    FACEBOOK

which they use often

Also Star trek.com which would draw lots towards this game.

So tbh until I played STO I hadn't even heard of massively tbh so men.

If we're going to define 'widely known' by the media themselves as a whole, and not by STO's individual exposure in those media, then you should add YouTube and Twitch to that.

My meaning was that STO's exposure in games 'news' sites was possibly greatest at Massively, but again I'm not sure that losing Massively as an outlet really hurts that much.
    2iBFtmg.png
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    "Massively's writers are second to none in the MMO genre"

I lol'd.

A random user comment from MMORPG.com was usually more coherent and informative than anything at Massively.

Massively mostly consisted of sensationalist writers who were desperate for pageclicks that they'd literally write anything if they thought it'd get people viewing their pages.

I'd say Massively was yellow journalism, but that'd be insulting the definition of journalism.

Nothing of value will be lost with that website shutting down.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    iconians wrote: »
    Massively mostly consisted of sensationalist writers who were desperate for pageclicks that they'd literally write anything if they thought it'd get people viewing their pages.

I'd say Massively was yellow journalism, but that'd be insulting the definition of journalism.

Nothing of value will be lost with that website shutting down.

What is this "Massively" you speak of? Never heard of it before I started playing STO. As to the Yellow Journalism reference, I seriously doubt many around here got it.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    As to the Yellow Journalism reference, I seriously doubt many around here got it.
    Sadly, "yellow" seems to have become the standard for "journalism" these days. I blame the 24-hour news cycle, with its desperation to fill all those hours with seemingly-new stories.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    iconians wrote: »

I'd say Massively was yellow journalism....

Journalism can get pretty yellow when everyone just takes a big ol' whizz on the concept of news.

:D
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I was only vaguely aware of Massivelys existence. I certainly didn't get any real news from them on anything. Game Informer had covered STO many times, and scify even has a few ads here and there. Plus there's facebook and twitter. I think STOs media presence will be just fine.
  • Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    meh - I've seen mention of Massively, but I never went there or read anything they wrote.

I don't know how "big" of a website trekmovie.com is, but they mention all kinds of Star Trek related news, and I've seen mention of STO several times over the years.
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    so, a media blog group is being shut down. big deal, they will get jobs elsewhere. i doubt this will effect sto or cryptics way of delivering news though. they still got their social trollworking sites which usually brings more attention then anywhere else if i were a betting man.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited February 2015
    Massively was just one of 11 websites that continue to or have covered STO. It's also mentioned in over 30 blogs (33 at last count).

Massively, as most of the AOL managed presence site, have been loosing money. They got decent YOY traffic increases, but add revenue just didn't cut it.

One website doth not maketh a 'strategy' ;) Do your homework.
  • Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'm more shocked to hear AOL is still alive!
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Back when they were an ISP, we knew them as America Off-Line, too. Nothing like having to wait five minutes until your dial-up modem is allowed to connect so you can read the one email you have. (And that voice - "You have mail!" As if it was astonished anyone would bother writing to a cave troll like you.)

I think it was around the turn of the century that they reconfigured themselves as a content provider - which they did about as well as they had done Internet access before. It is mildly amazing that they're still chugging along, and I wouldn't expect them to last much longer.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Yeah... the closure of a digital MMO [tabloid. really doesn't affect me as I've never liked the writing they have on their site.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg