test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Who's idea was it to give this game masochistic level grinding?

sdkraustsdkraust Member Posts: 524 Arc User
I got myself a Kobali ship so I decided I might as well start leveling to 60 again.

I'm 52, with 2/3 of the experience needed for 53. I there is no source of fast xp. Even if I redo a Mission it gives me 1% of a level.

What the hell is this? Is grinding patrols with high DPS ships (higher than anything I have) the only way to get to 60? How the hell am I supposed to do this without spending real life money on better gear than Mk XIIs? How am I supposed to jump as an Engineer from doing "around 10K DPS" to doing 30-40K+ DPS? I'm not grinding for that TRIBBLE. No game requires you to masochistically grind to experience story content. And 1-50 surely didn't.
Post edited by sdkraust on

Comments

• js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The problem is that there are people who think grinding is a good thing, who think that every MMO should have grinding in it for no other reason than other MMOs have grinding.

They think grinding and "content" are the same thing.

They can't see that "grinding" is a disease infesting MMOs - it's busy work, like telling a naughty child to write "I must not be naughty" 1000 times.

Grinding appeals to a certain type of person - usually one with some sort of chemical imbalance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • sdkraustsdkraust Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Several years ago I would have suggested this game to other people, and now there is so much fake content that it makes my eyes bleed. STO is that one game I really want to play, but I just stop playing because there's such huge skill walls only a select few can overcome because they've been playing all the long.

The basis of MK XIV gear in themselves is just beyond my comprehension of masochism. What happened to gear drops being the best in the game? Why does this game live by how much Dilithium you can grind / buy?
  • echelonalphaechelonalpha Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    In answer to the question posed in the thread title..

I blame Frank, in accounting...
  • wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    a while back there was many people beating the drum of a level cap rise. I do wonder where these idiots are and if they are happy with what they thought was a good idea has done to the game.

personally it's totally messed this game up. it's not fun, it's boring as hell, the last expansion was weak on story content(compared to lor) and heavy on grinding. then it's screwed up the whole c-store with t6 ships. new character skills intel and command space abilities are pretty much behind a pay wall. where you need a t6 ship to use them. $$

they have made a mockery of all previous ships in game.

they went out of their way to make the game easier for new players to stay playing and then basically thought TRIBBLE that.

if I was a new player now I think I would give up soon after lvl 50 might make it to 55 but after that it's just awful.
  • nesomumi2nesomumi2 Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    sdkraust wrote: »
    I got myself a Kobali ship so I decided I might as well start leveling to 60 again.

I'm 52, with 2/3 of the experience needed for 53. I there is no source of fast xp. Even if I redo a Mission it gives me 1% of a level.

What the hell is this? Is grinding patrols with high DPS ships (higher than anything I have) the only way to get to 60? How the hell am I supposed to do this without spending real life money on better gear than Mk XIIs? How am I supposed to jump as an Engineer from doing "around 10K DPS" to doing 30-40K+ DPS? I'm not grinding for that TRIBBLE. No game requires you to masochistically grind to experience story content. And 1-50 surely didn't.

No you dont need better then mkxii, you can hit 15k whit no rep/fleet/elite gear.no you don't need money(im perfect example). but sadly even whit high dps it is not going to be a easy to do it.to get from 50-60 you will need 15 days of normal game play. or 10h of argala, you need 1h for 1 lvl./ in argala system .i wouldnt recommended as you will burn out, it is good to just jump in when you are colse to finishing lvl.. No ammount of money will help you here.
    atm this is end game for Cryptic/PW.
    edited January 2015
    nesomumi2 wrote: »
    No you dont need better then mkxii, you can hit 15k whit no rep/fleet/elite gear.no you don't need money(im perfect example). but sadly even whit high dps it is not going to be a easy to do it.to get from 50-60 you will need 15 days of normal game play. or 10h of argala, you need 1h for 1 lvl./ in argala system .i wouldnt recommended as you will burn out, it is good to just jump in when you are colse to finishing lvl.. No ammount of money will help you here.
    atm this is end game for Cryptic/PW.

No **** you can. I have Lv 50 characters that have hit 20K. That's beside the point when there are people doing 10 times this. Argala doesn't matter for **** when you can't clear it fast enough, and can't generate the EC to grind out gear besides Mk XII Purples when MK XIV costs 50+ mil a pop.

How are you rationalizing this? The game has a huge gear treadmill that can only be overcome with money / grinding. The leveling was just the lighter side of it.
    edited January 2015
    wazzagiow wrote: »
    a while back there was many people beating the drum of a level cap rise. I do wonder where these idiots are and if they are happy with what they thought was a good idea has done to the game.

personally it's totally messed this game up. it's not fun, it's boring as hell, the last expansion was weak on story content(compared to lor) and heavy on grinding. then it's screwed up the whole c-store with t6 ships. new character skills intel and command space abilities are pretty much behind a pay wall. where you need a t6 ship to use them. $$

they have made a mockery of all previous ships in game.

they went out of their way to make the game easier for new players to stay playing and then basically thought TRIBBLE that.

if I was a new player now I think I would give up soon after lvl 50 might make it to 55 but after that it's just awful.

you sir absolutely dont know what you are talking about and by your explanation it is evident that you know very little about the game.
    atm the highest dps are made in T5U-F ships. and you can get mastery in other ways then from ship.
    those mastery's make a difference for high lvl. players (75k and above, something that you will never need to enjoy the game). 8-10k of dps is more then enough for absolutely anything except elite lvl. and for sure 100% of the game dose not even need them for any thing.

i dont even understand why most wont to be on lvl. 60 so fast, or just need that one mastery (klingone or romulan 2 mastery's are all most completly usless in term of high dps).
    play normal and advanced stf's, (if you cant do argala in 4 min. then you are not even ready for elite difficulty, same goes for infected). you will get everything you need from them. and if you need dili. play voth battlezone.

elite difficulty is for elite players, not for casual. in elite stf's elite gear will not help you (again, i am a good example, i have nothing on epic, and most of my gear is mk xii) if you dont understand skill's/traits and how to use them you will fail your team.

gold/epic is not instant win.

you dont need to be 60 in a day, when you have 15k dps in advance infected, then you are ready for lvl 60, but by that time you will be lvl 60.

chill boys, play the game, find some friends in game, join a fleet, an stf channe like publicelitestf, for starters it is a very good channel.
    edited January 2015
    Woah this guy is rationalizing his stuff.

Also it took me 5 minutes to clear Argala for 10% of a level. I'm assuming that with Cryptic's horrible xp curve it's going to give much less as I level.
    edited January 2015
    No **** you can. I have Lv 50 characters that have hit 20K. That's beside the point when there are people doing 10 times this. Argala doesn't matter for **** when you can't clear it fast enough, and can't generate the EC to grind out gear besides Mk XII Purples when MK XIV costs 50+ mil a pop.

How are you rationalizing this? The game has a huge gear treadmill that can only be overcome with money / grinding. The leveling was just the lighter side of it.

first, people are not doing 10 times 20k dps, no one hit 200k dps atm.

second, those high dps that you are looking are made that whit much planing. that high dps dose not depend on your set of gear or skills, it is 100% team effort.

on the price topic you can have all gear for free, absolutely for free. point is that you are inpatient and ready to pay 50 mil. for that weapon, and of cores that market is going to adjust to dose demands.

that dose not have anything whit Cryptic, PW, or STO. this is 100% players fault.
  • wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    you sir absolutely dont know what you are talking about and by your explanation it is evident that you know very little about the game.
    atm the highest dps are made in T5U-F ships. and you can get mastery in other ways then from ship.
    those mastery's make a difference for high lvl. players (75k and above, something that you will never need to enjoy the game). 8-10k of dps is more then enough for absolutely anything except elite lvl. and for sure 100% of the game dose not even need them for any thing.

i dont even understand why most wont to be on lvl. 60 so fast, or just need that one mastery (klingone or romulan 2 mastery's are all most completly usless in term of high dps).
    play normal and advanced stf's, (if you cant do argala in 4 min. then you are not even ready for elite difficulty, same goes for infected). you will get everything you need from them. and if you need dili. play voth battlezone.

elite difficulty is for elite players, not for casual. in elite stf's elite gear will not help you (again, i am a good example, i have nothing on epic, and most of my gear is mk xii) if you dont understand skill's/traits and how to use them you will fail your team.

gold/epic is not instant win.

you dont need to be 60 in a day, when you have 15k dps in advance infected, then you are ready for lvl 60, but by that time you will be lvl 60.

chill boys, play the game, find some friends in game, join a fleet, an stf channe like publicelitestf, for starters it is a very good channel.

you sir clearly don't know what your talking about and never read what i posted to quote and post what you did about me not knowing what I'm talking about. i can only assume you quoted the wrong person.

because the big point being that the game is extremely heavy on grind and no fun at all. yeah so playing argela over and over is fun?? and not boring?? :eek:

the whole t-6 t5 t5-u t5uf and you don't think that system is a mess?
    edited January 2015
    Woah this guy is rationalizing his stuff.

Also it took me 5 minutes to clear Argala for 10% of a level. I'm assuming that with Cryptic's horrible xp curve it's going to give much less as I level.

man hit me in the game. i will show you my build, we will end argala in 5 min. no problem. magic is in skills and traits.
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'm pretty sure, though haven't tested it yet, that if you start a new character tomorrow, and play ALL the story missions + doffing, you will be able to level up to 60 smoothly. The content from 1-50 is way too much anyway and should therefore taken into account for lvl 50-60.

And why on earth wouldn't anybody want the whole leveling process take a month or more?

I understand that level cap increase is necessary to keep the game fresh for new players, almost all MMOs do that, and even make any previous gear obsolete...STO does not. MK XII was endgame gear, now it is the first endgame tier and all items are upgradeable, which is simply great.

The T6 ship introduction was unneccesary in my opinion...they should have simply used intelligence ships and commando ships as a new class of ships. And ship traits are just aweful and idiotic. Should have made a BOFF trait system instead.
    Go pro or go home
  • js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    man hit me in the game. i will show you my build, we will end argala in 5 min. no problem. magic is in skills and traits.

Argala is easy. That's not the problem. The problem is that Argala and other Delta Quadrant patrols give double the rewards that other patrols in other sectors give - purely as a way to manipulate players into using the new content.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
    edited January 2015
    wazzagiow wrote: »
    you sir clearly don't know what your talking about and never read what i posted to quote and post what you did about me not knowing what I'm talking about. i can only assume you quoted the wrong person.

because the big point being that the game is extremely heavy on grind and no fun at all. yeah so playing argela over and over is fun?? and not boring?? :eek:

the whole t-6 t5 t5-u t5uf and you don't think that system is a mess?

i just told in my replay to not do the argala, except to finish the lvl. you sont need to be lvl 60. it dose not surve to anything to be lvl 60, except of the point that you are there. d

dont choose grind if you dont like it, just play the game. you will get there.

lvl 60 is like that last pice of cacke, you dont need it, you are not hungry but you wont it NOW.

just dont do it, you will get to lvl 60 eventually, you are not missing anything. it is just a big tease.
    edited January 2015
    js26568 wrote: »
    Argala is easy. That's not the problem. The problem is that Argala and other Delta Quadrant patrols give double the rewards that other patrols in other sectors give - purely as a way to manipulate players into using the new content.

yes that is a problem.
    edited January 2015

Oh you must be talking about a ship I don't have or some items that I don't have (I bet you're running DCEs, and abusing Crit on a Tac Captain).

I'm just sitting here with the Kobali Ship, Mk XII Elite Fleet Disruptors and Mk XII MACO without a lot of the staples that high DPSers have. I have them on other Characters, but I want to level THIS one to 60.

The problem is that all of your special wizbang Consoles and gear that are making you do well take a long time to obtain. I know it's hard for you to realize because you already have them.
    edited January 2015
    Oh you must be talking about a ship I don't have or some items that I don't have (I bet you're running DCEs, and abusing Crit on a Tac Captain).

I'm just sitting here with the Kobali Ship, Mk XII Elite Fleet Disruptors and Mk XII MACO without a lot of the staples that high DPSers have. I have them on other Characters, but I want to level THIS one to 60.

The problem is that all of your special wizbang Consoles and gear that are making you do well take a long time to obtain. I know it's hard for you to realize because you already have them.

blue mk xii polarons, parts of rep gear. of cores you do try to have the highest possible crth to up you damage. i still use repalsors, gravity weel, this is one of my latest toons.

but that is irelavant. you are talking about grinding, you do not grind whit a tank build. if you are doing that no one can help you.
    when you hit argala, switch to tactical skill, there is no way around it. my main toon is fed sci. in the new breen carrier atm, i now have mk xvi gear on it, doing 20+ dps whit ti. but whit mk xii i was doing 14k. it is sure fun to torn stuff whit GW and then hit them whit torpedo spread, gravity torpedo from rep.

im not here to fight, you boys do whatever you wont. im just saying, there is no need to be lvl. 60 in a day.

edit.

yes, for sure im using FAT, that is best dps atm, no way around it.
    edited January 2015

yes, for sure im using FAT, that is best dps atm, no way around it.

What is this?

You act like I have very many choices on this character.

Ships I have on this character:
    T6: New Kobali Ship
    T5 (NOT T5-U): Tac Vesta, Fleet Defiant, Fleet Excelsior

This is on an Eng. Not on a Tac. I want to have one account, and leave my other 6 accounts to rest.
    edited January 2015
    What is this?

You act like I have very many choices on this character.

Ships I have on this character:
    T6: New Kobali Ship
    T5 (NOT T5-U): Tac Vesta, Fleet Defiant, Fleet Excelsior

This is on an Eng. Not on a Tac. I want to have one account, and leave my other 6 accounts to rest.

ok, i will be going after this post.

so for cruisers perfect would be 5 tac stations, so you can have tac. team 1, 2xfire at will 1, and 2xbeta 1. but if not all ways use 1xTT1, 1xFAV1 and 1xAPB1, if you have 4 add 1 more FAV first.
    on eng stations, put 2x em. to weapon, if posible 2x direc. modulation, ax. to hull for heal and rest are your choice.
    sci. should have repulsors, rest your choice.

max. number of tac. consoles.
    on sci. slots consoles that bust repulsors.
    if you have any rep gear put it on eng. console slots, if you dont put at least 2xconsols that boost regeneration of you energy lvl's.

if you feel that you are to squishy play whit traits from rep. but if you can handl it, us traits that boost crth, crtd, 5% ignore armour and last is your choice. whatever you are doing now you will go up. min 70%.

all of your ship are more then capable of hitting 15k dps or more in no time.
    just the other day my friend hit 20k whit eng. toon, in fleet assault cruiser. i do 30k whit mine eng. but that is on scimitar, A2B, so yeah... (but still, mk xii on it)

best of luck.

edit.

you need that tactical doff that will lower your cooldown time on TT. it is wise to use doff that will give you 20 energy lvl. boost in all system when hitting em. to any system (sorry, dont know there names by heart, you will need to look it up).
    edited January 2015
    ok, i will be going after this post.

so for cruisers perfect would be 5 tac stations, so you can have tac. team 1, 2xfire at will 1, and 2xbeta 1. but if not all ways use 1xTT1, 1xFAV1 and 1xAPB1, if you have 4 add 1 more FAV first.
    on eng stations, put 2x em. to weapon, if posible 2x direc. modulation, ax. to hull for heal and rest are your choice.
    sci. should have repulsors, rest your choice.

max. number of tac. consoles.
    on sci. slots consoles that bust repulsors.
    if you have any rep gear put it on eng. console slots, if you dont put at least 2xconsols that boost regeneration of you energy lvl's.

if you feel that you are to squishy play whit traits from rep. but if you can handl it, us traits that boost crth, crtd, 5% ignore armour and last is your choice. whatever you are doing now you will go up. min 70%.

all of your ship are more then capable of hitting 15k dps or more in no time.
    just the other day my friend hit 20k whit eng. toon, in fleet assault cruiser. i do 30k whit mine eng. but that is on scimitar, A2B, so yeah... (but still, mk xii on it)

best of luck.

edit.

you need that tactical doff that will lower your cooldown time on TT. it is wise to use doff that will give you 20 energy lvl. boost in all system when hitting em. to any system (sorry, dont know there names by heart, you will need to look it up).

I am doing exactly this with A2B and it's taking me 5 minutes to clear Argala.
    I have no idea what to put in Eng / Sci Consoles to increase DPS besides the ZPM and Asim console I have because I don't have any of the fancy Special Consoles.

And no, I have 3x Techs, Dulmur (From when he was <10m) and a WCE.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I see it good and bad.

Good - I'm running the TRIBBLE out of the DR patrols. So I'm making some serious Dil now. Since I already did the DA Rep. So all new marks goes right into Dil conversion. Plus for RP it helps since it allows time for them to use the new findings, create a new plan, and go from there. This is how I view it for my RP purposes. Also I'm using my Doff like never before. I try to max out what I'm allowed to do when I log on. Those do help at times.

Bad - Its taking a while to do it. I been playing DR since launch and I'm still hadn't hit Lv60. Just now at Lv56. And still have 2 other characters to do it with.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
    edited January 2015
    Oh I just realized I can run TBR1 and GW1 on this ship.

http://puu.sh/fhmvp.png
  • rsoblivionrsoblivion Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    For a Kobali build I'd be aiming for something very similar to a Galaxy-X build.

It's got limited Tac slots so standard setup there. The Eng is very heavy, but not as bad as a Gal-X or normal Galaxy due to the LtC Science slot. Seeing as it's a cheaper build I'd put A2B on it to take advantage of the FAW as much as possible, though it could be better with some expensive DoFF's (Zemok x2) and the Reciprocity trait from the Phantom Intel ship.

So for BoFF's I'd go:
    Ensign Uni - Tac - Tac Team I
    Lt Tac - Beam Array FAW I, AP Beta I
    Com Eng - EPtA I, Aux 2 Batt I, EPtW III, DEM III
    LtC Eng - ET I, Aux 2 Batt I, RSP II
    LtC Sci - HE I, SC II, GW I/TBR I/FBP I

Ship loadout:

AP Beams up front with as much CrtD as can be afforded.
    In the back I'd go with Kinetic Cutting Beam + 3 AP Beams same as front. If no KCB then add a 4th Beam.

Def - Assimilated Borg/Delta from Rep or wait for the Kobali from the event.
    Engines - Assim Borg/Romulan Prototype from Rep or wait for Kobali
    Warp Core - Elite Fleet Plasma-Integrated Warp Core Mk XII [Eff] [W->A] [ECap] [AMP] [SSS]
    Shields - Assim Borg/Dyson from Rep

Eng Consoles - Fleet Neutronium +Turn or Plasmonic Leech, Bio-Neural Inf Circuits, Zero Point Conduit, Bounty Hunters Friend
    Sci Consoles - Plasma Generating Weapon Signature Nullifiers (+Th) [Pla] or Flow Caps on a budget.
    Tac Consoles - Fleet Locators +Beam or AP Mag Regulators on a budget.
    Chris Robert's on SC:
    "You don't have to do something again and again and again repetitive that doesn't have much challange, that's just a general good gameplay thing."
  • the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    js26568 wrote: »
    The problem is that there are people who think grinding is a good thing, who think that every MMO should have grinding in it for no other reason than other MMOs have grinding.

They think grinding and "content" are the same thing.

They can't see that "grinding" is a disease infesting MMOs - it's busy work, like telling a naughty child to write "I must not be naughty" 1000 times.

Grinding appeals to a certain type of person - usually one with some sort of chemical imbalance.

Have to agree and it's not just this game either it's plaguing all of MMO-dom it really is. Just look at the overall design of Archeage and the Nostalgia Broken game called Wildstar people actually think that going backwards in design is good and they will argue and spend their money on it. It's almost as bad as people going out of their way fighting for certain politicians even though they are blatantly and obviously harming the very people they've got convinced are good for them. It's a strange phenomenon in the human brain but it's definitely imbalanced I agree.
  • cpc2011acpc2011a Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The short answer to your question OP:
    The people who have a proven habit of making cheap knockoffs of about anything they can, AKA the Chinese. Add greed into that and you get the people who run PWE.
    Couple that with Cryptic's award winning ineptitude and you have the future of STO today.

Welcome to the future
  • aceofspades99999aceofspades99999 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    HI all,

Like most of you I have seen the changes go from bad to worse and like most of you Iv'e been here since the begining and hoped that things would get better. Untill I finally realized that this company, I feel, is ready to move on to something else because no company and I mean no company would try to scr-w the pooch as deliberatly as has. I won't kick a dead horse and yack about what has already been covered, but i feel that these guys "devs" are ready to move on because of burn out. I mean heck i like like games like mass effect, but it doesn't mean i want to try to have sex with the blue chick over and over for the next five plus years! I think like anything dealing with star trek, people can only handle so, much usually five to seven years tops and as much as i might miss this game and a great community, maybe it just might be time to just pee on the fire and call in the dogs and move on to spmething else that holds our passion and interest. Trek fans there are thankfully many other ways to get our fix, i unfortunatly feel that this game might not be it anymore.
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    All I know is I'm tired of leveling and made an active decisions to delete half my characters going from 6 to 3 because of the amount of work involved to level and gear out characters in the game after Delta Rising hit. By the time I had three characters leveled actively one after the other I had the three I'm deleting leveled to 55+ just by duty officer assignments alone with no active missions except a special here and there for events.

The game just isn't fun anymore with alts for me, used to be enjoyable to try different things but Cryptic/PWE has made it too much of a climb for me to enjoy alts anymore. Of the three I have left two will most likely be maxed out while my Fed character languishes as a crafting toon only for the KDF/Engie and Romulan/Tac ones.

I spend my time in the Undine battlezone leveling my skills and ships. Honestly it's more fun then the Delta quadrant becuase you have other people in the instance and I make not only XP (less admittedly) but also marks (turn to dilithium) and dilitiium ore. Sure as hell beats going in to Argala hundreds of thousands of times because I see other people. (Take that hint Cryptic/PWE)
    Green people don't have to be.... little.