test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Kobali uniform and arbitrary restrictions

warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
edited February 2015 in The Art of Star Trek Online
Most of the parts on the Kobali uniform are thankfully free to combine, but there are some unexplained restrictions:

1. Why is there a separate "Kobali Armor" category for this uniform? It's not an armored hardsuit like the various rep armors that usually get those categories, all it has is a thicker vest and a pair of pants with hip pads. Functionally no different than, for example, the fleet miner outfit which also includes a thick vest and hip pads and is freely combinable.
2. Why can I wear the boots and the shirts under the "Uniform" category, but not the pants?
3. Why are the belts and the back items only in the "Armor" category?

This is on a female Romulan Alien, if it makes a difference.
Post edited by warpangel on

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    Similar restrictions on a KDF Orion female, Fed Trill female, and Fed allied Romulan female.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I too wondered about this; it does seem an odd design choice.
  • callevistacallevista Member Posts: 237 Cryptic Developer
    edited February 2015
    The Kobali Combat Armor category was really meant for the bulky Kobali Soldier Upper and the Kobali Soldier Lower. These two costume pieces are more bulkier than most other pieces of clothing - meaning that they wouldn't be compatible with other tighter fitting uppers and lowers.
    edited February 2015
    What about the belt and the backpack pieces?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I just wish I could put a commbadge (even even better, rank pips) on my Kobali uniform.
    edited February 2015
    rattler2 wrote: »
    What about the belt and the backpack pieces?

The Kobali Soldier belts are significantly bulkier than most uniforms, and therefore not compatible with many existing Uppers and Lowers. (There is a civilian Kobali belt available outside of the Kobali Combat Armor category.)

We also kept the Kobali backpack restricted to the Kobali Combat Armor because if it were used on a tighter fitting Upper, it would be "floating" a good distance from the back of that upper.
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    callevista wrote: »
    The Kobali Soldier belts are significantly bulkier than most uniforms, and therefore not compatible with many existing Uppers and Lowers. (There is a civilian Kobali belt available outside of the Kobali Combat Armor category.)

We also kept the Kobali backpack restricted to the Kobali Combat Armor because if it were used on a tighter fitting Upper, it would be "floating" a good distance from the back of that upper.
    I want to point out, that the civilian Kobali belt is available for males, but not female characters.
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

edited February 2015
    Dang it... I had plans for that backpack and my Special Ops Black uniform. Guess I'm stuck with the Engie backpack until we get another, more appropriate one. The Jem'Hadar pack just doesn't look right to me for what I wanna do.
    edited February 2015
    We are changing the Kobali chest strap and the Kobali backpacks so that they are available in other categories besides "Kobali Combat Armor." This should allow for mixing these pieces with most other things including most Fed, Rom, and Klingon Uppers. It is going through testing now - and will go out soon.
    edited February 2015
    Sweet.

I'd like to thank you for keeping us up to date too. I for one appreciate the communication.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The Kobali Combat Armor category was really meant for the bulky Kobali Soldier Upper and the Kobali Soldier Lower. These two costume pieces are more bulkier than most other pieces of clothing - meaning that they wouldn't be compatible with other tighter fitting uppers and lowers.

That's understandable, but still arbitrary. There are other bulky outfits that are not so restricted. The Kobali Soldier top is about the same thickness as the Miner Vest which is available under Uniform - Vest. On the back, the vest is actually thicker, the Kobali chest gear clips into it a bit behind the shoulder. The vest can be worn with little limitations, so why can't the Kobali top? The belts and backpacks might fit the vest, or something else, but we aren't allowed to try them.

The Romulan 24th century uniform set has even bulkier tops, but they're freely combinable with everything. Even with Arm Attach parts that aren't visible at all under the huge sleeves.

Why is it that some costumes leave it to the player to decide what fits together while others are declared strictly off-limits, pre-approved parts only?

Obviously there are too many parts for you to test every single combination to see if they fit together. But I believe it would be better to let the players try them and find out for themselves than to categorically deny all combinations because some of them won't be good.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    We are changing the Kobali chest strap and the Kobali backpacks so that they are available in other categories besides "Kobali Combat Armor." This should allow for mixing these pieces with most other things including most Fed, Rom, and Klingon Uppers. It is going through testing now - and will go out soon.

Thank you!

The kdf especially needs all the options it can get. Much appreciated.