test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Flash - Wells & theories (spoilers)

steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
edited February 2015 in Ten Forward
SPOILERS

Well, supposedly the cat's out of the bag. Wells is the Reverse-Flash. I mean, we saw him next to the yellow suit, twice, and even saw him speed with red crackling energy this week. Obvious, yes?

"Obvious" is what bothers me. Hear me out.

Arguments

First, and possibly weakest argument, I'm surprised that Wells was outed so quickly in the life of the series. Especially when, in these kinds of series, the buildup to a reveal can last for multiple seasons. Usually I see prominent red herrings to try to fool the viewers. Putting Wells next to, but not in, the yellow suit might be a huge red herring.

Next in argument is Wells current condition, which was made all the more obvious this week. Yes he can speed with crackling red energy, but he's only doing that after using the tachyon device that Reverse-Flash stole. And that while being next to the yellow suit. Then he collapsed at a crisis point in this episode, his legs failing him. This is not a speedster in control, this appears to be an injured man who is siphoning a speedster's power in an attempt to heal himself or at least make the condition better. Add to that the dialog this week with the AI, Gideon, which suggests the process has diminishing returns.

Then there's the discussion of a second particle accelerator event. It has been brought up twice now in the show: once by Joe West, once by Iris West (and colleague). Each time it brought Wells up short in the answer, and when he finally did, both answers felt like lies. The first time asked if there'd been a previous event. The second time asked if there were plans for a future event. Supposedly "no" on each.

Additional consideration: Wells seems genuinely interested in promoting Barry and his heroism, something the Reverse-Flash seems to want to squelch.

Theories

None of these are perfect theories as they stand. Of that I'm well aware. I'd welcome any corrections or insights, or addition theories.

Theory #1: Wells is not Reverse-Flash, but has made a deal with that devil. Wells has been injured by some previous event, either the event that took the life of his wife, or the actually particle accelerator event. Reverse-Flash (whom I'm convinced is a time-traveler, consistent with the comics) has approached Wells with a method of allowing Wells to walk again for limited times, and even speed, by siphoning off some of Reverse-Flash's energy. Essentially, Wells charges up like a battery, but speed exertion wears out this charge quickly. Reverse-Flash provides a secret chamber of future technology and an up-link to the future, sharing info on Barry's future. In exchange, Wells provides some currently unknown factor for Reverse-Flash, possibly the founding materials for an Injustice League (notice he's putting on the meta-baddies in one convenient location, and created Grodd). Another possibility is grooming the Flash to be the world's savior at The Crisis, a feat possibly only one other, the Reverse-Flash would have to fulfill otherwise. Wells does everything required of him, including eliminating anyone in the way, but chafes under the R-F and is therefore keenly interested when one enemy manages to siphon Flash's power for a time. Wells mentioned that he wanted to learn how it happened. Could it be in order to have a weapon again the R-F?

Theory #2: Wells is becoming the Reverse-Flash, and as such, is part of a time loop where his future self is helping his current Wells persona to move towards a change. Wells indicated this last episode that an event is coming soon which seemingly will put him beyond the need for siphoning energy to sustain his mobility. Coupled with the chatter about a second particle accelerator event, and Wells knowledge of future events, and it seems possible that a second particle accelerator event triggers the full change of Wells into the Reverse-Flash. This would explain Wells coy behavior regarding a 2nd event, and would also go a long way in explaining why his two sidekicks have not yet become Killer Frost and Vibe. A second event is their trigger-point as well. This theory doesn't do so good a job at explaining why Wells seems so at peace with helping Barry become the hero, and why the R-F is so hostile to the Flash.

Theory #3: Wells is already the Reverse-Flash, but is injured and likely stuck in time. It is likely that the events surrounding Mrs. Allen's death involved a Scarlet Speedster (notice I said "a", not "the". We've still not seen Jay Garrick, and it therefore might not be Barry that fought the R-F and rescued young Barry). Its possible that the Reverse Flash was injured and unable to move back through time, and therefore has had to take the long way back. His connection to the Speed Force might minimize his aging, but he's still working on a solution to the problem. The particle accelerator might have been a step towards that. This doesn't explain his interest in creating specific characters (Flash and Grodd) of which he had pre-knowledge, nor does it explain why he'd hire Cisco, the man he would know would become the hero Vibe.
Post edited by steamwright on

Comments

• nachyonachyo Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I like the idea of Wells being in league, but not actually, the reverse flash, but you forgot/missed one scene: the ring Wells wears was used to place the suit in the glass case. It's a mega shout-out to the comics in that the Flash uses a similar ring to store his own suit. So, operating on the assumption that Wells IS the Reverse Flash, I'd like to offer another theory:

We know that Well's lover was killed just before he moved to Central City, and that he knows certain aspects of the future, but seemingly not all of them. We also know he intends to push the Flash to seemingly unobtainable limits, and the there has been no sign of Wells being a speedster until AFTER Barry began training.

My theory:

Reverse Flash visited 'himself' in the past with a copy of Gideon, and gave past Wells the secrets of the Speed Force, and subsequently time travel. Current Wells IS actually injured, but is able to use Barry's abilities to heal those wounds as well as gain the power. Once Barry is fast enough to break the Time 'barrier', Wells will try to take the power to save his lady love. He'll then kill Barry's mom to motivate the future Flash, and try to visit himself in the past.

But I'd like to extend the theory:
    After the death of his mother Barry will defeat Wells. Notice I've distinguished Reverse-Flash and Wells, despite them being the current same person? I think That during all of this Iris is going to fall for Barry and leave Eddie. There will likely be other small fractures, like Eddie seeing the flash unwilling or unable to go the extra mile to save people or stop a crime. Possibly embarrassed by him, or still not trusting of him after the savage beating he took before. Regardless, Eddie and Wells will cross paths.

This will turn Eddie into the Reverse Flash, a true antithesis to Barry and the Flash, who will be the one to set Wells onto the path to creating him.

Just another theory.
    "End the end, we're all Kobali."
  • echelonalphaechelonalpha Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Harrison Wells is a yellow herring...

This is all part of Grodd's plan...
  • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited January 2015
    nachyo wrote: »
    I like the idea of Wells being in league, but not actually, the reverse flash, but you forgot/missed one scene: the ring Wells wears was used to place the suit in the glass case. It's a mega shout-out to the comics in that the Flash uses a similar ring to store his own suit. So, operating on the assumption that Wells IS the Reverse Flash, I'd like to offer another theory:

You're right, I did miss that. I seem to recall seeing him wear a ring, but didn't see him "use it to place the suit".

You're theory is indeed interesting, but leaves me puzzled as to how Wells is juicing off of Barry? The treadmill, I guess? The two times I've seen Wells charging/repairing, it appeared he was using the stolen tachyon device. The first time it was attached to the yellow suit, the second time it was attached to him while in proximity of the yellow suit. This is what made me think the device siphons off energies residual to the R-F's travel through time.
  • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited February 2015
    After the latest episode of The Flash, and a lot of subsequent reading, I've a new personal theory. Elements of it are not unlike Nachyo's concept, though this takes strides into new areas.

Theory: There are two Reverse-Flashes already present in the series. This was designed by the writers to create the confusion that "Professor Wells" is the sole time-traveling big baddie. The reason I felt this theory has merit is that there are distinct personality differences between the Reverse-Flash and Professor Wells. At first I thought this was one character creating an act, but the more I see Wells do things to his own hurt, like publicly apologize to the city, or show genuine fear and go out of his way to help when a friend is in danger, the more I think it must be two people. R-F is consistently shown as a bully and a killer. Wells, although shown as a killer, is inclined to show a reluctance for his actions, and shows some remorse and genuine affection for Barry, his friends, and the city. One is perfectly black, the other is grey.

1. Professor Zoom, aka Eobard Thawn. This is the murderer of Barry's mom, and the guy who pounded Wells in the containment trap. We've possibly not seen his normal face so far in the series. To keep from confusion because of two "Zoom" and "Reverse-Flash" names, I'll refer to him as "Eobard". A reading of the Wikipedia page on him shows him to be much blacker a soul than person #2.

2. Zoom, aka Hunter Zolomon, aka "Professor Wells". I'll refer to him as "Wells" or "Zolomon". The TV version is using elements of Zolomon to form their Wells. A reading of Zolomon's page shows him to be deadly violent, but also often friendly or at least thoughtful and remorseful towards protagonists. He's sort of a "the end justifies the means" guy. In other words: grey.

How this theory forms:

1. Blood samples: As of the last episode, Cisco & Joe West found two blood samples previously missed at the murder scene of Barry's mom. Testing to try to prove one of them was Wells (Joe's theory), it was shown that actually one was from an unknown donor, and the other was Barry Allen, but as an adult. This seemingly eliminates Wells as the murdering speedster, yet we saw him with the yellow suit, vocal vibration and occasional speed elements.

2. Mom's murder: This was actually accomplished by Eobard in the comics. (See the wiki article under the paragraph on Flashpoint)

3. Wells injuries - In the show, Wells is seemingly injured by the arc reactor explosion, paralyzed from the waist down. In the comics Zolomon is injured by an attack from Grodd, and left paralyzed from the waist down.

4. Time travel - obvious to Flash fans from the start, time travel was somehow involved in Mom Allen's murder, and has some connection to Wells (his name and his secret chamber). Hunter Zolomon's speed came not from the speed force, but from an effort to activate Wally West's cosmic treadmill. His speed comes from his alteration into time manipulation. (see wiki article under paragraph "Transformation into Zoom")

5. The car accident - in the comics, Zolomon's wife was in a car accident and hospitalized for some time. In the show, Wells' wife was in a car accident. I don't recall if he actually said it or not, but his implication was that she was killed, which admittedly would differ from the comics.

6. The device - in the December episode "The Man in the Yellow Suit", Wells ends up with a device that Reverse-Flash tried to steal. He uses the device, connecting it to his yellow suit and repairs his facial damage. I suggest that this tachyon device was not leeching off the Speed Force, but pulling from residual time energies on Wells' speed suit to heal minor injuries and temporarily restore health from severe injuries. The AI Gideon has suggested diminishing returns on the effort.

7. The meeting - In the episode "The Man in the Yellow Suit", Wells enters the room where a seemingly trapped Reverse-Flash is confronted by police. Wells enters and immediately states "Detective Thawne, would you like to read him his rights?" Moments later R-F comments "Doctor Wells, we meet at last." Slightly later in the scene, R-F tackles the police, but stops short at Eddie Thawne, staring him in the eye, apparently unwilling to kill him (Eddy later confesses to having been bewildered and unnerved by the moment.)
    Under this theory, this is Eobard and Zolomon finally coming face-to-face, previously aware of each other's existence. Wells' callout to Eddy Thawne was a deliberate attempt to let Eobard know the detective was his ancestor, preventing harm to Eddy should it come to that. It would also explain why R-F pounded Wells, which I previously theorized might be the same person staging the bloodsport to throw police off his sent.

There's likely a point or two I used to form the theory that I've forgotten.

So what's Wells story then if he's Hunter Zolomon? Zolomon in the comics believes in shaping destiny, something consistent with what we know so far with Wells, who apparently deliberately created the arc event to create heroes and villains previously known to him, and who is manipulating time and Barry to direct the Flash towards the Crisis he will avert in 2024. In the comics, Zolomon's own tragedies shaped this modus operandi, and he came to believe that tragedy shapes the hero. It is possible that although we've learned Well's blood was not found at the murder scene of Barry's mom, that he had a hand in manipulating events to set Barry on the road to becoming the Flash.