test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I just worked out why the grind sucks...

adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
It's all grinding for the sake of grinding, there's no reason to grind, nothing at the end that can be used for progression in any way, its just grinding. Other games have grinds to get things so you can do the next grind, these grinds are generally quite short, a couple of weeks of casual play, although it's not timegated to stop players with with lots of time to spend from completing it sooner... Cryptic on the other hand gives you a grind that takes a couple of months of 15 minute daily play and then time gates it so those who have hours to spare can't get through it faster, in addition there is no purpose to this grind.

Sorry if I'm late to the realisation... It just happened.
ZiOfChe.png?1
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    janus1975janus1975 Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    +1

There seems to have been some really silly idea in Cryptic (probably heard but contextually misunderstood) that "players who spend a lot of time in game are more likely to spend, and more likely to spend big". The misunderstanding is that it is NOT the "spending time" via grind, but the "spending time because they enjoy it" that results in spend. In other words:

Cryptic's "understanding":
    Endless Grind > time spent in-game > Magically Increases Spending

So Cryptic break things (e.g. "R&D makes your equipment second rate now!"), nerf things (e.g. "Let's lower XP!"), and generally annoy everyone (e.g. "Let's change something, to change it!") in the hope it results in satisfied customers and increased spend.

What really happens:
    Enjoyment of game when in-game > increase of time spent in game to elongate enjoyment > Spending Increases to magnify enjoyment

I don't see why Cryptic find that so hard to understand.
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    pve'ers are just now starting to get this, after the grind is now hundreds of dollars deep and more then 1000 patrols long, you actually have to think twice before attempting it :eek:

i always did the grind because i wanted 'done' characters for pvp, thats the only part of the game were best gear, best sets, and best passives were required. i could never figure out why all yall that don't pvp bother putting in all that work when the content you played could be competed easily with vender trash. :confused:

unfortunately the DR additions to the game created such a grave imbalance that pvp has been ruined beyond saving, thus removing the point of grinding at all if there's no quality pvp at the end of it. :o

but even if there was good pvp at the end of the grind, $100 per character in upgrades, and 1000 gerran patrols for specialization is about x5 more grind with x10 the tedium then i'd ever put myself through, and i don't seem to be the only one that feels that way. kind of shocking how after almost 5 years they suddenly decide to cube(³) the entire possible grind present in the game. lol, like we would just stand for it and bend over for something that unreasonable. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    xparr15xparr15 Member Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The fact you still do it tells me that your premise of no reason to is flawed.
  • Options
    cromarty1cromarty1 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    adamkafei wrote: »
    It's all grinding for the sake of grinding, there's no reason to grind, nothing at the end that can be used for progression in any way, its just grinding. Other games have grinds to get things so you can do the next grind, these grinds are generally quite short, a couple of weeks of casual play, although it's not timegated to stop players with with lots of time to spend from completing it sooner... Cryptic on the other hand gives you a grind that takes a couple of months of 15 minute daily play and then time gates it so those who have hours to spare can't get through it faster, in addition there is no purpose to this grind.

I have made fraud reports today stating the legal ligitamy of the turms of use serving to bypass criminal law that is in the us with the server that was used to rob me about fraud after the boff update robed most of my boff powers I had and I must use the new system to get what I had back thare is just a fine line for selling digital content that's simply on a thine wire a small area in turms of human hair to fraud from the idea of selling something not its ownership so what the hell are you buying as simple as it is not getting what you own or buying to not own or not getting what you buy are all fraud not just one or more or all three but thay are all just fraud

getting a car without the title is fraud not getting the car after buying it is fraud so how the hell is having it stolen back to the person that sold it to you with no refund not just the same as the first an agreement turm is only valid if the promise is met other than that its robbery and if an agreement of sale is not met its fraud and in the us fraud is a fed crime if its a dollar or a million unlike just taking something that's not yours
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    cromarty1 wrote: »
    I have made fraud reports today stating the legal ligitamy of the turms of use serving to bypass criminal law that is in the us with the server that was used to rob me about fraud after the boff update robed most of my boff powers I had and I must use the new system to get what I had back thare is just a fine line for selling digital content that's simply on a thine wire a small area in turms of human hair to fraud from the idea of selling something not its ownership so what the hell are you buying as simple as it is not getting what you own or buying to not own or not getting what you buy are all fraud not just one or more or all three but thay are all just fraud

getting a car without the title is fraud not getting the car after buying it is fraud so how the hell is having it stolen back to the person that sold it to you with no refund not just the same as the first an agreement turm is only valid if the promise is met other than that its robbery and if an agreement of sale is not met its fraud and in the us fraud is a fed crime if its a dollar or a million unlike just taking something that's not yours

you cant make legal turms of use that bypass criminal law by defalt if you prove the turms of use have been abused in this fassion thay are null and void and can be used as evidence to commited criminal acts
  • Options
    scurry5scurry5 Member Posts: 1,554 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Read the sticky at the top. According to that, your boffs still have the ability available and you don't need to train them. All you have to do is use the new system to switch.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    pve'ers are just now starting to get this, after the grind is now hundreds of dollars deep and more then 1000 patrols long, you actually have to think twice before attempting it :eek:

i always did the grind because i wanted 'done' characters for pvp, thats the only part of the game were best gear, best sets, and best passives were required. i could never figure out why all yall that don't pvp bother putting in all that work when the content you played could be competed easily with vender trash. :confused:

unfortunately the DR additions to the game created such a grave imbalance that pvp has been ruined beyond saving, thus removing the point of grinding at all if there's no quality pvp at the end of it. :o

but even if there was good pvp at the end of the grind, $100 per character in upgrades, and 1000 gerran patrols for specialization is about x5 more grind with x10 the tedium then i'd ever put myself through, and i don't seem to be the only one that feels that way. kind of shocking how after almost 5 years they suddenly decide to cube(³) the entire possible grind present in the game. lol, like we would just stand for it and bend over for something that unreasonable. :rolleyes:

what about the simple nerfing content thay sell that in all understanding is only pretending to sell it as you don't own it after paying real money then thay realy go too far when thay take away what you payed real money to not own making the whole pay to win idea just and only fraud to say it out load
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    scurry5 wrote: »
    Read the sticky at the top. According to that, your boffs still have the ability available and you don't need to train them. All you have to do is use the new system to switch.

tried that and no the old abilities my doffs are gone and one ones thay have have no switching back option so reason deducts ive been robbed
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    scurry5 wrote: »

and no im not taking it easy I want fast promt fixing and don't care if someone needs to be arrested to fix it because I do not have the old powers available to just switch im forced to buy what I already had for the forth time and no refund is why I don't care if trendy gets dragged of in cuffs now
  • Options
    ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Actually not exactly. There is a reason for the grind... though admittedly it is finite. The question is really is the rewards they are offering you worth the time of the grind that they're forcing on you. That's a question you have to answer for yourself.

For me lately the answer is no. I stopped doing Argala and left STO for a while and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. I came back for the anniversary espisode, accomplished it... I'll probably do "Q" each day for what... 30 minutes if that... then roll out and do something... anything else.

The grind and the rewards the grind gives me... 1 specilization point... just isn't worth the rewards I've given anymore for me.

But yes there is a reason for the grind... just not one I want to do.
  • Options
    amenephisamenephis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    and no im not taking it easy I want fast promt fixing and don't care if someone needs to be arrested to fix it because I do not have the old powers available to just switch im forced to buy what I already had for the forth time and no refund is why I don't care if trendy gets dragged of in cuffs now

Shoot, you want all that? I'd settle for you learning where the period key is.
  • Options
    amenephisamenephis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    janus1975 wrote: »
    So Cryptic break things (e.g. "R&D makes your equipment second rate now!"), nerf things (e.g. "Let's lower XP!"), and generally annoy everyone (e.g. "Let's change something, to change it!") in the hope it results in satisfied customers and increased spend.

Actually, no, this isn't true. Cryptic breaks things in the hopes that it annoys everyone, and results in unsatisfied customers (but only just so). Seriously.

See, satisfied customers are done. They're satisfied, which by definition means they don't want anything else. Cryptic (and every other freemium company out there) want you dissatisfied with their product, but only a little bit. They want you constantly annoyed and frustrated...not to the point of quitting, but to the point of hearing "but you can totally make this better for only a tiny fee!"
  • Options
    scurry5scurry5 Member Posts: 1,554 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Paraphrased: Don't assume malice where incompetence could be an explanation.

From the sticky, that's clearly not intended - so it's most likely a bug. But hey, if you want to overreact and waste your time and energy working your blood pressure up, hey, it's your funeral.

P.S. You don't have to respond to signatures, really.
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    zensutrazensutra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Welcome to the club. :) For me, part of the grind is from lack of progress; previously you could do many things to make some bar move, but since the crafting system came in, it's kind of a drop in the bucket now.

Part of the problem isn't that there are more choices or activities, but once upon a time I could hop in, do some ESTFs, work on my base, hop out. Now, between reward nerfing (EC/dil) to challenge increase, I'm spending more time but feeling like I do less. Not a good feeling to leave the customer with.

I'm partially sympathetic to Cryptic simply because I've seen first-hand what parent publishers can demand from their acquisitions. But that sympathy doesn't extend to the timegates (timegate EVERYTHING!) and poor design implementation (bugs galore).
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited January 2015

The treadmill to nowhere. Where all one is doing is being able to run the treadmill to nowhere faster. :D

It's one of the reasons that I tend to be at odds with certain folks out there that are always in a rush to get somewhere with something...when imho they're just rushing to get where they are so they can rush to get where they are faster, over and over and over.

I just putz along instead...

Just want to let you know, if I can't stop laughing and actually die from laughing here...my family is going to sue you.
  • Options
    wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Oh my God just stop it. Uninstall it just go away, I knew it wouldn't be too long for somebody would bring lawyers up or lawsuits, to be honest with you you won't win. They will just make you go blind the paperwork, and then when you lose to ADD insult to injury make you pay the lawyers fees just for the trouble, and I will be cheering, while you go broke, should I just book a cot for you at the shelter right now?.... Or you could take a deep breath relax and get over it
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
  • Options
    lored2deathlored2death Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Many will, sadly. I gave up and am doing like so many others. A little doffing and just running around a social zone with a fire extinguisher or some popper goofing around. I got on my main before this maint. to try out the new mission and see for myself what's been done.

It killed my desire to play. Now, I'm just going through the "disgruntled player posting on forums" phase as I look for something new to play. It's not just STO but STO was my main game. Just sick of all the false advertising, psychological tricks to coerce people to pay by playing on distinct human behavioral traits, time gates and paywalls. I'm looking to buy a game outright, full value, and get something complete that has replay value. It's sad that's so hard to find these days with any sort of quality.

I kept thinking "Don't people have any personal pride in their work any more? Integrity?" But then i realized just how much times have changed in gaming. There IS pride in gouging players. The almighty dollar is the only metric people seem to value anymore. "How can we wring more out of the mark, er, consumer?" as a table full of suits high five each other when they figure out how to play the players.

STO was fun. It became a learning process for me here at the end of my playing.
  • Options
    draogndraogn Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    In my opinion the problem is with Perfect World, they are use to making f2p Asian grinders. They still haven't figured out that Asian grinders aren't all that popular outside of Asian countries. Though players are partially to blame for this as well, they keep vindicating the grind by opening their wallet to buy things like keys and packs.
  • Options
    lored2deathlored2death Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    amenephis wrote: »
    Actually, no, this isn't true. Cryptic breaks things in the hopes that it annoys everyone, and results in unsatisfied customers (but only just so). Seriously.

See, satisfied customers are done. They're satisfied, which by definition means they don't want anything else. Cryptic (and every other freemium company out there) want you dissatisfied with their product, but only a little bit. They want you constantly annoyed and frustrated...not to the point of quit, but to the point of hearing "but you can totally make this better for only a tiny fee!"

Quoted for truth.