test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Bridge Officer Abilities | Hand-Crafted Boffs

Comments

• horstpfickhorstpfick Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited January 2015

However, any Boff Ability that you previously chose to train these Boffs with should still be available. All you need to do to restore the ability, is select from the appropriate UI on the Stations Tab.

After re-assigning their previous powers, you may need to update/refresh your current Load Out as well.

Maybe It's just me but I don't understand what you are telling me. So, are my abilities lost then?
  • timelords1701timelords1701 Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Cheers borticus, your explanation helps, will do when i get back ingame...
  • morden613morden613 Member Posts: 365 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    horstpfick wrote: »
    Maybe It's just me but I don't understand what you are telling me. So, are my abilities lost then?

You can either try to get it back (through the list of available skills the BOFF has) or you are screwed.
  • janus1975janus1975 Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Here's a handy hint:

Sometimes, you don't need to change things! You can leave them alone, or wait until you've ironed out all the problems before going ahead.

Take this instance. The hint that you were not ready to release this latest buggy patch was when you discovered that:
    ... This script had the side effect of slotting these restored powers into active Stations .... but it was the only method we had available to ensure that these rare abilities were still available on the officers that were intended to have them, without forcing players to re-acquire them.

Thinking, "Our change will create confusion, and will force players to repair things on our behalf" is precisely the point to then conclude, "Therefore, we will NOT go ahead until we have a system that will work."

Seriously, you leave bugs around for years, why break one of the things that work?

Very shoddy work, Cryptic.
  • josephdridgewayjosephdridgeway Member Posts: 517 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Just want confirmation on this. Can you no longer use Boffs to train other Boffs? None of my candidates are able to train Boffs any more. I just want confirmation on this before I decide to clean out my Boff roster a bit.

That is confirmed. You can no longer use BO candidates to train commissioned BO's.

In fact, you can't use ANY BO to train another BO.
    Fleet Admiral Joseph D. Ridgeway
    The Armada
    Original join date: Feb 5, 2010
    Twitter: @davejl_99, & @STO_BBArmada
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    horstpfick wrote: »

No they are not lost. Instead you have two powers, one for free. The problem is it defaulted to the wrong one. Follow borticus's instructions in the first post to change back to the one you want.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    No they are not lost. Instead you have two powers, one for free. The problem is it defaulted to the wrong one. Follow borticus's instructions in the first post to change back to the one you want.
    That wouldn't be a problem if the **** loadout were not still bugged, and we had our stations shuffled with every map change.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    erei1 wrote: »
    That wouldn't be a problem if the **** loadout were not still bugged, and we had our stations shuffled with every map change.

There is a bit of me that placates this frustration via schadenfreude imagining how frustrated the poor coder who has been given the task of fixing this patch... What we're on six times now right? I can only imagine how bad that guy feels today to be told its broken again
  • kdawgenigmakdawgenigma Member Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    How did the people at Cryptic have to change this, there is no reason for it. Please change it back to how it was. It worked just fine in the previous formay for bridge officer skills.

The change is just another part of their on going effort to monetize every little detail about this game. Take this approach, if it hasn't been tinkered with and monetized yet, give it time. It's coming.

-Rule of Acquisition #113: Always have sex with the boss.
    -I am one of the many victims from the hijacked Caspian Division.
    I will not let the childish acts of a criminal ruin this game for me.
    -The actions of Cryptic, on the other hand......
  • marielangmarielang Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The icons were fine the disappearing boff's however that's not anything that needs fixing well spend our time an effort tweaking stuff that already works fine. wow you guys take the cake.

And boff training its easy simple no crafting required but wait it doesn't make money lets make it so if they want really good an cool boffs skills they'll have to craft and spend more dill and a bunch of them will run out faster and maybe buy Zen!!!!

Wow could you be more transparent this was not a gift to make the game better and more interesting is just another resource sink hole designed to make people spend more. We are not stupid why do you insist on treating us like we are????

I know what the rah rah's will say its a co. it needs to make money fine I get that what I hate is Lies we did this for you to make it so much better when it doesn't it makes it harder more complicated more mind numbing all to squeeze me for more cash.
  • firekeeperhufirekeeperhu Member Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    STO might have bought a day or so to survive on my hard drive.
    <3 Defiant <3

RnD and upgrade needs less RNG. Less lottery. Something has to change.
  • cmdbarstowcmdbarstow Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Question

With the new patch today and the new BO system it seems that Cannon Scatter Volley 3
    is now gone from the list of craftable manuals.

Is there anyway to train SCV3 on a BO and if not can this be address.

SCV3 for a cannon ship is important. We need this skill back in game soon.

Please do not put cannons at a further disadvantage vs beams.

Please need comment from cryptic on this.

Thank you
  • wolfpacknzwolfpacknz Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Devs should familiarize themselves with the term "If it ain't broke, don't fix it..."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
    Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
  • darthfusiondarthfusion Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    bring back my scv3 for my cannon tact officers
  • sirbrianfasirbrianfa Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I read about this new system to be "a better way to train your officers". What a load of, well you guys fill in the blank.
    Not only have they taken the CSV III but they took away revers shield polarity III from 2 of my bridge officers and replaced it with other abilities. As a Tac I thought that I was just not going to be allowed to use it, but it appears as though they have completely remover it from the game as none of the engies I have talked to can train it any more. How can you have taken something off my bridge officer that was already trained, and not tell everyone you were going to remove it?

And on a side note... what the devil is with all the lag on ESD. Good god get your act together... if I had employees working for me that conducted my operations like this I would have kicked their division manager down the road as it looks like he is not doing his job and conducting proper oversight of his personal.
    get it together
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    cmdbarstow wrote: »
    Question

With the new patch today and the new BO system it seems that Cannon Scatter Volley 3
    is now gone from the list of craftable manuals.

Is there anyway to train SCV3 on a BO and if not can this be address.

SCV3 for a cannon ship is important. We need this skill back in game soon.

Please do not put cannons at a further disadvantage vs beams.

Please need comment from cryptic on this.

Thank you

CSV3 was an ability that was previously obtainable only from certain uncommon, rare, or very rare bridge officers. It was not available from bridge officer trainers on stations, nor was it trainable by captains. Captain trainable abilities can now be trained using the Officer Training crafting school, but Cryptic has deliberately excluded rare boff abilities such as CS3, BO3, and TS3 from the Officer Training school. They have also removed the feature which allowed you to consume one boff to train another. As a result, rare boff abilities are currently not trainable. Cryptic has said this functionality will be added in the future. However, they have not provided an estimate of when it will be available.

For more information, see the links below.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=21690631&postcount=30
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1356761

Note: According to markhawkman, Lunge III and Viral Matrix III are available from the Officer Training school. These were previously rare bridge officer abilities. I have no explanation for the inconsistency; it's possibly a bug.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=21818961&postcount=86
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • jrq2jrq2 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I logged in and had issues with the long loading time to get in the game only to get hit with lag and rubber banding plus Boff powers not being what they were a few hours ago when I logged out before the patch and the new Icons change made it worse, then to find out that the mini game was bugged as hell.

At this point I just had to log out and call it a day.

Well at least they’re consistent. They sure did not disappoint anyone. They still kept their track record in throwing out a very buggy update to celebrate their 5 year anniversary.

This brings back memories of when they 1st launched the game. It’s nice to see that after 5 years they have not changed a thing.

HAPPY BUGGY ANNIVERSARY!!!!

I’m sure they will fix everything “soon”™
  • gavshawgavshaw Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    If you are having trouble trying to get changed boff abilities to show on your ship's station tab and tray(s) in the HUD try reseating them in their stations (I do not use loadouts).

I had 2 boffs with changed abilities and after I set their abilities back to how I had them, the station tab showed wrong abilities (THY1 as a Lt power?) and they were not in my HUD tray. So I ended up swapping boffs in and out and everything seems to have lined up now.
    SigPic_01_zpspudusvou.png

Yes, I fly a Dreadnought cruiser. Deal with it.
  • siriusmusictownsiriusmusictown Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    That is confirmed. You can no longer use BO candidates to train commissioned BO's.

In fact, you can't use ANY BO to train another BO.

Thank you for the very useful information. This is a complicated system that will take some time for me to adjust for my Prime, and various Alts. The time commitment to make the adjustment is a barrier to play in game.

Barriers to play mean I set aside planned purchases. SERIOUSLY. I plan my activities in game, just as if this was a paid subscription game (which it essentially is, for me). This change means I must spend admin time, not game play time. My FUN TIME is impacted by this non-play activity.

This means I will not be purchasing my next set of key and service upgrades until I completely understand this system and get my BOFFs back to where I like them. I am not angry, and this is not rage. I really want to get across that this is exactly how I plan my activities and pace my purchases.
    edited January 2015
    WTF...... what else needs to be said! how could you make one of the best ground weapons in the game ye another POS. Yet again another reason a tac toon is going to never be able to get close to a engy. what the devil. simply speechless. and where is my dil I spent to upgrade a gun that I would now never probably run again. I see where this is going. put out a good weapon, get people to spend time and energy..... and in some cases money, to upgrade a now P.O.S. ground weapon that you then turn around and "level" so that you can turn around and put out the next thing you want people to spend money on. the call that larceny by use of a trickery device... a class B felony in most states.
    So disappointed with this development team now. Might go ahead and spend money on another game and not play anything till it finally comes out and say to hell with a development team who seems to not listen to its player base, and even pisses on it and tells them that it is raining.
  • lored2deathlored2death Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2015

That no one on the Dev team, Community team, or QA even thinks of using the in game announcement system to do this speaks of a FUNDAMENTAL problem with Cryptic policies and management in general (IMO).

Yup. This pretty much covers it.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,111 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Using the in-game system would only provide a momentary fly in for players logged into the game. Anyone not logged in currently would miss this message.

That is why we are placing this message in the Official Forums, for permanence and accessibility for all.

Please reduce your rage power settings.

~CaptainSmirk

WTH are you talking about - there used to be the ability for you guys to p[op up a LARGE ORANGE WINDOW on login which required a player mouse click to close.

(Unless that was removed to decrease client download times - along with a lot of you other content recently. In the old days even Brandon could get info into it after being asked about stuff in the forums after LoR launch.)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • cromarty1cromarty1 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Upon logging onto Holodeck today, after the 5th Anniversary patch, many players have noted that the abilities their Boffs currently own were changed. I'm here to tell you why that may have happened to you, and how to quickly deal with it.

Any Bridge Officer that possessed a "rare" ability had it restored to them via a fix-up script we ran on the Boff's data. This script had the side effect of slotting these restored powers into active Stations.

However, any Boff Ability that you previously chose to train these Boffs with should still be available. All you need to do to restore the ability, is select from the appropriate UI on the Stations Tab.

After re-assigning their previous powers, you may need to update/refresh your current Load Out as well.

We apologize if this causes players any inconvenience, but it was the only method we had available to ensure that these rare abilities were still available on the officers that were intended to have them, without forcing players to re-acquire them.

thay are not available so what must I do in that case
  • mackbolan01mackbolan01 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    looks like all my toons are gimped now, i'm just not gonna bother with boff powers now.............

its a sad day for this 3 month old LTS
  • lored2deathlored2death Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Upon logging onto Holodeck today, after the 5th Anniversary patch, many players have noted that the abilities their Boffs currently own were changed. I'm here to tell you why that may have happened to you, and how to quickly deal with it.

Any Bridge Officer that possessed a "rare" ability had it restored to them via a fix-up script we ran on the Boff's data. This script had the side effect of slotting these restored powers into active Stations.

We apologize if this causes players any inconvenience, but it was the only method we had available to ensure that these rare abilities were still available on the officers that were intended to have them, without forcing players to re-acquire them.

I went ahead and checked several alts and my main and their bridge officer skills. I don't know what you guys are talking about at all. Skills still there? Hardly. Every one of my boffs reverted to original staus and the ONLY skills they kept were the Ensign, LT and LT cmdr skills, unless it was a level 3 one in which case it was replaced with some other nonsense.

There are red training manuals next to the skills I *used* to have and now my entire roster is all messed up with build-critical skills missing. I read that they might be re-introduced at a later time but I find that implausible, at least giving them back for free.

Your "patch" basically did a hard-restart of my entire boff line-up. Years of work and fine tuning. Destroyed by one of the worst patches/anniversary events you've ever come up with that has somehow actually found a way to make a boring grind even worse, flying us all around for what? So numbers can be padded that players are playing all over the game?

I know, I know..."keep my boffs! You'll release something down the road so I can get the skills back." Yeah. Sure. Uh huh. What's that "benefit" going to cost me?
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Wow, you guys will find ANYTHING to ***** about, won't you...

CM

p.s. Thanks Cryptic for a pretty good Anniversary so far. I like the Boff thing once I figured it out, and I love the Episode with it's surprise rewards... 2nd Deflectors are great, and the Foundry addition is amazing!

p.p.s. I feel like there are some people who need someone else to look over there shoulder and tell them, "no, click here, and then select that, now do you see how that works? Do I need to hold your hand and walk you through it again?"
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • dragnridrdragnridr Member Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Yet my 2 BOFFs that KNOWS gravity Well II, which actually SHOWS on the BOFF ability screen, can NOT be used in my power tray. It doesn't even show up in my abilities list. But low and behold, Viral Matrix II works just fine and it occupies the SAME commander slot....

I told people this BOFF change was wrong and BS......Turns out, I was right.
    edited January 2015
    crm14916 wrote: »

CM

p.s. Thanks Cryptic for a pretty good Anniversary so far. I like the Boff thing once I figured it out, and I love the Episode with it's surprise rewards... 2nd Deflectors are great, and the Foundry addition is amazing!

p.p.s. I feel like there are some people who need someone else to look over there shoulder and tell them, "no, click here, and then select that, now do you see how that works? Do I need to hold your hand and walk you through it again?"

1 in every crowd. Abilities I already had gone, Lag so bad a lot of peeps have a hard time moving, a weapon that has been a main stay for ground forever just got a circumcision by Freddy Crouger, and all you can do is try and denigrate people who have real issues with things. Please, no talking with your mouth full next time.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    crm14916 wrote: »

CM

So you think its ok to have lost skills that cost millions. Be unable to retrain those skills. Unable to craft those skills. How do I get Aux to Stru 3 back? It cost me 10's of millions to train all my BO with that. Now I lost it and am able to get it back. Same for Beam Overload 3.
  • robert359robert359 Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    sirbrianfa wrote: »
    a weapon that has been a main stay for ground forever just got a circumcision by Freddy Crouger,

this is the secound post I have seen about a ground weapon change. which one? what happened to it?
    "The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war."
    Douglas MacArthur - Quote on the dedication plaque of the U.S.S. Ranger NCC-97332-A Armitage class Fleet Heavy Strike Wing Escort.