test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Anniversary Giveaway!

Comments

• tcostiktcostik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    dandylu wrote: »
    Well, I wish the giveaway was more clear here. I've been logged in, and still there has not been a way for me to get it, and my character is level 54. Its been stressful, yet another giveaway, for which I will have to end up purchasing later on, when/if it becomes available.

What's unclear? Log in and claim the free items on your eligible characters.
  • dandyludandylu Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    fildaskirk wrote: »
    I do appreciate them giving stuff for free, but there is a certain principle. I'll give you an example from War Thunder, which I also play. You buy gold currency for real money. You buy a premium aircraft/tank for that gold. One month later, Gaijin ent. (the authors of WT) give this machine you bought away as gifts. BUT they do it in a contest sort of way. You must finish some tasks to be entitled to get the machine (sort of like in Q's Winter Wonderland). If you do it, it is yours for free. AND if you already own it (becouse you purchased it beforehand), and complete those assignments (therefore making you eligible to get it if you didn't already own it, you get the amount of gold currency back.
    tcostik wrote: »
    What's unclear? Log in and claim the free items on your eligible characters.

Really? No event? Maybe I was confused with the next Q event, or something.
  • kain305kain305 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I believe there's a lot of merit to the idea of a Zen refund if you already have purchased what they give away. PWO and Cryptic should Really Really Really consider this idea!:D
    Tiberius
  • pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    For our final giveaway, we want Captains to be able to celebrate the anniversary in style! Want to look sharp for your next date on Risa or be the best-dressed captain in Quark’s? Check out this pack here, free for today only!
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    neuralswap wrote: »
    I don't get you guys really, STO give us gifs .

They give us ..."GIFS"? Gorna like this

but your just making me guess

Wheres waldo WoK edition
  • sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    "1. Log into the game on a Federation character between 10AM PST on Thursday January 29 and 10AM PST on Friday January 30.
    2. Visit the in-game C-Store via the button on the minimap
    3. Navigate to the ‘Appearance’ tab on the left
    4. Scroll down to and click on the ‘Formal Set – 21st Century Uniform” item
    6. Click the “Claim” button towards the bottom-right of the interface
    NOTE: Claiming this option unlocks these costumes for all Federation characters on an account."

Federation only for 1/2 the giveaways. Good game.
  • hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    d'oh! Guess what I finally bought just a month ago, during the last costume sale?
    Ah well. The thought is appreciated.
  • eltatuseltatus Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    LOL.. not even a ship this time cryptic.. lol..

lmfao.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dcgregg1dcgregg1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Federation character stuff again? You must really hate the KDF cryptic
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    For our final giveaway, we want Captains to be able to celebrate the anniversary in style! Want to look sharp for your next date on Risa or be the best-dressed captain in Quark’s? Check out this pack here, free for today only!

As a long time veteran who would support Star Trek Online, I had already purchased the Motion Picture Uniform pack given away on Tuesday. I already had purchased the ships given away yesterday, and I'd already purchased the 21 Century Uniforms you're giving away today.

In fact, I'd previously purchased R&D packs from the C-Store, too. So while I was able to claim Monday's free gift, it wasn't really anything all that interesting/exciting.

And it wasn't like Cryptic offered any sort of alternative gifts/rewards.

Cryptic has a lousy way of showing their appreciation to their loyal customers.

:(

Happy Anniversary, indeed.

:rolleyes:

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • ayradyssayradyss Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The Formal outfits are not Fed-only. I believe that is old text from back when they were first created. For quite some time now, I've been able to use them on my KDF and Romulan characters.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Cool. I can certainly have fun with these outfits. Thanks guys!
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    sinn74 wrote: »
    "1. Log into the game on a Federation character between 10AM PST on Thursday January 29 and 10AM PST on Friday January 30.
    2. Visit the in-game C-Store via the button on the minimap
    3. Navigate to the ‘Appearance’ tab on the left
    4. Scroll down to and click on the ‘Formal Set – 21st Century Uniform” item
    6. Click the “Claim” button towards the bottom-right of the interface
    NOTE: Claiming this option unlocks these costumes for all Federation characters on an account."

Federation only for 1/2 the giveaways. Good game.
    The Formal Wear can actually be used on KDF and Romulan characters as well, just in case people were unaware about that.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • dcgregg1dcgregg1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    ayradyss wrote: »
    The Formal outfits are not Fed-only. I believe that is old text from back when they were first created. For quite some time now, I've been able to use them on my KDF and Romulan characters.

Thanks for clearing that up for me
  • druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    As a long time veteran who would support Star Trek Online, I had already purchased the Motion Picture Uniform pack given away on Tuesday. I already had purchased the ships given away yesterday, and I'd already purchased the 21 Century Uniforms you're giving away today.

In fact, I'd previously purchased R&D packs from the C-Store, too. So while I was able to claim Monday's free gift, it wasn't really anything all that interesting/exciting.

And it wasn't like Cryptic offered any sort of alternative gifts/rewards.

Cryptic has a lousy way of showing their appreciation to their loyal customers.

:(

Happy Anniversary, indeed.

:rolleyes:

Not to mention, their giveaways/gifts tend to be of items that (most) players have little to no interest in. I.e, the "low selling goods". Essentially, they end up giving away the trash to us. How nice.

Next years anniversary (which may not be big for STO, but it IS big for Trek), had better include some high-value highly sought after goods, FOR FREE. Tier 6 ships for all, Free character or Ship slots etc.

Being Trek 50th next year, I want a Tier 6 Constitution Class. No bloody A, B, C or D! Thank you.
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2015

Appreciate the idea behind the giveaways, and thanks for the R+D box, though I've had every other item already bought for a looooong time now.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The Formal Wear can actually be used on KDF and Romulan characters as well, just in case people were unaware about that.

Nothing says Klingon, Gorn, Reman, etc. like 21st century Earth formal wear. :rolleyes:
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    sinn74 wrote: »
    Nothing says Klingon, Gorn, Reman, etc. like 21st century Earth formal wear. :rolleyes:

could be worse KDF could get thongs for gorns
  • jemmymcdonoughjemmymcdonough Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Any chance we could get a 4-hour extension on the T2 ships? The link did say free for 24 hours, after all, and then you took down the server for 4 hours. I would have been able to claim the KDF ship if the server hadn't gone down.
  • arabaturarabatur Member Posts: 408 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Baring the R&D freebie, the other gifts are reminiscent of a closing down sale. Everything must go!
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • rcheli12rcheli12 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I can't say i'm thrilled about the giveaways... they aren't much use to a lvl 54 character, maybe you could've given out level appropriate items.

HOWEVER

I appreciate that you can't give lvl 2 characters a t6 cruiser, ready to use as soon as they can. I also appreciate that you are giving away stuff that makes you money, not just random in game free items.

Thanks for an amazing game!
    happy aniversary :D
  • hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Any chance we could get a 4-hour extension on the T2 ships? The link did say free for 24 hours, after all, and then you took down the server for 4 hours. I would have been able to claim the KDF ship if the server hadn't gone down.

Maintenance happens (most) every week at the same predictable time, and if you forget, there's a nice red warning box right in the launcher that tells you it's coming and when. There was no time during the previous 20 hours that you could log in to claim the ship?
  • steaensteaen Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Edited due to having found the answer to my question.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Thanks for the gift!

Total value of the giveaway: 3,650 zen.
  • fildaskirkfildaskirk Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    hfmudd wrote: »
    Maintenance happens (most) every week at the same predictable time, and if you forget, there's a nice red warning box right in the launcher that tells you it's coming and when. There was no time during the previous 20 hours that you could log in to claim the ship?

Just to clear up my situation: it is middle of exam period for me. I need to study, I need to sleep I need to actually be present for the examination and then I can see what is at the give away to try and grab it (and in my case try to grind my new klingon character, because as a lieutenant he was unable to claim the ship. I actually needed just 15 more minutes to finish a mission and be promoted to lieutenant commander).
    Technically speaking, I could log in yesterday evening, but it would mean a possibly failed exam. For other people it could mean interrupting their work or whatever. So basically YES, some of us do have lives outside the early 25th century and to live properly we CAN'T log in whenewer.

For that matter, are the shards so unreliable and bad that they require a maintenace absolutely every once a week? I distinctly remember during the Xmas period that there were some maintenances on Tuesday. They could have postponed the maintenance a few days to once the giveaway is over.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    eh? what a let down the final day free gift is, already got it. 21st style formal wear (i hate the cut-away dress)
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • captwilhelmcaptwilhelm Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    fildaskirk wrote: »
    Just to clear up my situation: it is middle of exam period for me. I need to study, I need to sleep I need to actually be present for the examination and then I can see what is at the give away to try and grab it (and in my case try to grind my new klingon character, because as a lieutenant he was unable to claim the ship. I actually needed just 15 more minutes to finish a mission and be promoted to lieutenant commander).
    Technically speaking, I could log in yesterday evening, but it would mean a possibly failed exam. For other people it could mean interrupting their work or whatever. So basically YES, some of us do have lives outside the early 25th century and to live properly we CAN'T log in whenewer.

For that matter, are the shards so unreliable and bad that they require a maintenace absolutely every once a week? I distinctly remember during the Xmas period that there were some maintenances on Tuesday. They could have postponed the maintenance a few days to once the giveaway is over.

This mainternance was actually an big update. And they wanted to bring these updates to the game anniversary, therefore I think they did not want to postpone it.

That said, I agree with you. They could have given more time for the ships. Today giveway could have started at 14 PST instead of 10 PST, for example. Or better yet, they could have started the giveway early or later, so it would not coincide with a server maintenance. It was an oversight from their part. I was not affected by this. But when I saw this happening, I preddicted this kind of issue arising.

And I was a bit disapointed with today giveway. I was expecting a T3 ship. In the past they started with a low tier ship and progressed to higher tier. But I did not had the costume pack, so I appreciate it.
    Pre-forum change name: Captain Wilhelm

Thanks Cryptic for introducing the Kelvin Timeline. It remembered why I decided to never more put any money on this game.
  • ayradyssayradyss Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    It's a bit disappointing when you already have the items they giveaway, yes. I've had that happen pretty much every year with some item or other. I already had the TMP uniforms, the Formal outfits, the Nova refit ship . . . but if you pick any given item from the C-Store, there will be people who have it already and people who don't.

All in all, it would be nice if perhaps for one or two of the giveaway days they'd offer something from the 'Services' category -- Ship slots, BOff slots, an inventory expansion -- something like that. But still, it's just nice that they do these giveaways. I'm grateful they do them, even if I do have some of the items already. Thanks for the giveaways, Cryptic! They are a positive thing.
    Live long, and prosper.