test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

WIRED Binge-Watching Guide: Star Trek

grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited January 2015 in Ten Forward
While checking my morning news sites, I noticed this article on Wired...

WIRED Binge-Watching Guide: Star Trek

So, for the long time followers of TOS, do you agree or disagree with the WIRED recommendations ???

(And I though 'Spock's Brain' was one of the better of the 3rd season episodes...)
Post edited by grouchyotaku on

Comments

• gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I agree on Mudd's Women, and yes The Way to Eden is the worst episode of all time!

For the rest of the ones they say to skip:
    I'd say Spock's Brain is good for the comedic value. "Brain, brain, what is brain!" No reason we can't include a lighter episode for some laughs.

The Paradise Syndrome I think is quite poignant and showcases Shatner's acting ability, albeit it only comes at the end of the episode.

Turnabout Intruder again shows Shatner's acting ability. Watch the scenes where he's playing being possessed by Janice Lester; I think he played a disturbed woman quite convincingly.
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    For the most part, yes, but disagree with Way to Eden as missable, as that showed some awesome insights into Spock's interests :cool:
  • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited January 2015
    Swap out "The Paradise Syndrome" (which I found tolerable and actually a little bit charming) for "The Omega Glory", and swap out "Mudd's Women" for "The Mark of Gideon" and I might just agree. The latter swap is necessary to establish Harcourt Fenton Mudd for his return in I, Mudd. Also, I think the Wired writer doesn't pick up on the fact that frontier areas of mostly men did indeed advertise for wives, and many women agreed to become those wives. Parallel to The Original Series was the show Here Come The Brides (which starred a handful of Trek veterans) which focused on such an arrangement for the lumbering community around early Seattle.
    edited January 2015
    Yeah The Mark of Gideon was clearly a low-budget filler episode. And that's saying something considering their budget was already low to begin with!
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    gfreeman98 wrote: »
    The Way to Eden is the worst episode of all time!

At 1:20, Palpatine says it best.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
    edited January 2015
    LOL indeed they do! :D
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Swap out "The Paradise Syndrome" (which I found tolerable and actually a little bit charming) for "The Omega Glory", and swap out "Mudd's Women" for "The Mark of Gideon" and I might just agree. The latter swap is necessary to establish Harcourt Fenton Mudd for his return in I, Mudd. Also, I think the Wired writer doesn't pick up on the fact that frontier areas of mostly men did indeed advertise for wives, and many women agreed to become those wives. Parallel to The Original Series was the show Here Come The Brides (which starred a handful of Trek veterans) which focused on such an arrangement for the lumbering community around early Seattle.

I'd agree with that. Also, "The Paradise Syndrome" is where we get our Preserver ziggurats in the Breen FE series.

I'd add to the "Can't Skip" list:

"Miri" - in which we discover a planet identical to Earth, which is not nearly as remarkable as the way in which Captain Kirk makes first contact with the locals.

"The Galileo Seven" - Brilliant episode about the burden of command.

"The Menagerie (pt. I & II)" - the original trailer, wrapped in a story about how far Spock's loyalty goes. Also, Majel Barrett as a terrifyingly competent Number One.

"Arena" - because Gorn. Also, the first mention of a political body known as "The Federation" (eighteen episodes in.)

"A Taste of Armageddon" - some of the greatest lines in all of Trek in this one. Also, after twenty-three episodes, somebody finally mentions that they all work for something called "The United Federation of Planets."

"The Devil in the Dark" - No Kill I

"A Private Little War" - another one full of great lines, and as relevant today as it was in 1968. Also, Klingons showing some serious cunning.

"The Ultimate Computer" - "Fantastic machine, the M-5. No off switch."

"The Enterprise Incident" - because Romulans

"The Tholian Web" - because Tholians.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon