test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Prepare yourselves to be unable to train certain "Rare" BO skills...

kostamojenxkostamojenx Member Posts: 251 Arc User
Rare Boff Abilities - When the system is released it will retrain any Rare Boff Abilities that a Boff had to begin with (so if a player accidentally untrained a rare ability, they will get it back on that Boff). We are also planning on releasing those Rare Abilities as Training Manuals in the future but we have not determined the method on it yet.

Thanks,

Mike "Warpdust" McTyre
Systems Designer
Star Trek Online
One feature that will not be finished when the system goes live is the handling of rare abilities that can only be obtained from rare bridge officers (randomly generated or special mission rewards). We are still working on this feature and will provide more information on it in the future. For the moment though we wanted to inform the community that if they already have these rare bridge officers or obtain any in the future to not delete them. Make sure to keep them and once this feature is complete it will allow players to train other bridge officers with those rare abilities. The details on how this feature will function is still under review and development.

Thanks,

Mike “Warpdust” McTyre
System Designer
Star Trek Online

This is for the new Bridge Officer training system. As it stands right now on Tribble, the "rare" skills that require sacrificing a BO to train another BO have no ability to be trained onto another BO at this time.

Here is an "approximate" list of said skills:
Engineering Ground

Weapons Malfunction III
Reroute Power to Shields III

Science Ground

Tachyon Harmonic III
Stasis Field III
Vascular Regenerator III

Tactical Ground

Battle Strategies III
Draw Fire III
Smoke Grenade III
Lunge III
Ambush II
Ambush III
Stun Grenade II

Engineering Space

Auxiliary to Structural III
Boarding Party III
Reverse Shield Polarity III
Aceton Beam III

Science Space

Mask Energy Signature III
Polarize Hull III
Tractor Beam III
Transfer Shield Strength III
Charged Particle Burst III
Energy Siphon III
Tractor Beam Repulsors III
Tyken's Rift III
Viral Matrix III

Tactical Space

Beam Array: Overload III
Torpedo: Spread III
Target Weapons Subsystems III
Target Shields Subsystems III
Target Engines Subsystems III
Target Auxiliary Subsystems III
Attack Pattern Delta III
Cannon: Scatter Volley III

This is a heads up so if anyone wants to setup a Bridge Officer for a certain ship a certain way using these skills, they need to train said BO RIGHT NOW or loose the ability to do so! (Temporarily it seems, but who knows)
Post edited by kostamojenx on

Comments

• Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    It Will Not Over Write Already Changed Boffs Will It? I Have Some That Have Been Retrained With Rare Bo Skills Replacing Rare Bo Skills.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    There's an extremely rare Science ability that very few people in STO will actually have.

Photonic Officer III

It seems the new system will make that even more inaccessible.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    *facepalm*

I...simply have no words...
  • Options
    lebtronlebtron Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Nice, another unfinished system. As if the loadout system, not finished for 1 year now wouldnt be enough...
  • Options
    ralphgraphiteralphgraphite Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    This is a little disappointing.

Considering we still cannot craft kit modules (half a year later), nor upgrade them (a quarter of a year later), I guess we should not hold our breath on when this will be resolved.

Guess another thing to add to the unfinished pile and to come in "the coming months".
  • Options
    js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Will this be sorted out as quickly as secondary deflectors or as quickly as Japori?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • Options
    trelane87trelane87 Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Seeing how long it took to get secondary deflectors... next anniversary event maybe :rolleyes:

Best expansion ever indeed :cool:
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Disappointing, but thanks for the heads up, I had missed those posts.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    js26568 wrote: »
    Will this be sorted out as quickly as secondary deflectors or as quickly as Japori?

I'd guess as quickly as the Mirror Universe Invasion revamp.
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I just want to hear the developer apologist come out and clap at this

New dil sink with your top abilities broken

What happened to the blog saying how easy it was making it all, as a huge personal favour to the players with 20 hour time gates.

Is this like the time the crafting system was launched without modifers and remained a fundamentally broken feature, that the whales spent millions of dil on?

Can't wait to see the next failure you have me entertained
  • Options
    kostamojenxkostamojenx Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Also, prepare to see lots of "Where is the XXXX training manual???" threads...

There is no in-game information saying these training manuals do not currently exist...
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The day I heard they were doing this I made sure everyone was trained that night

So, like crafting, like upgrading, 100% ignored system that just made the game worse I won't be touching at all

... but that was before hearing the top abilities are fubar. I don't even have the words to describe that.

Really, you need to milk MORE dil from people so BADLY, you insist on launching a system that is BROKEN.

Can't we just pay developers dil to NOT fumble the ball anymore and quit the game lke they quit the forums?
  • Options
    kermanikermani Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    oh geez...

Can't they finish a system before setting it up on Holodeck?

This puts the BOFF system into what one might expect in a pre-launch game.

I really want to like and have fun playing STO but it's getting harder and harder.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    vestereng wrote: »
    The day I heard they were doing this I made sure everyone was trained that night

I did the exact same thing, even pre-planning for a possible loadout change on my main by setting up a BOFF with the right ability in advance so all I need to do is a seat swap (assuming you can still do that without consequences???) when the time comes.

On the upside I finally got off my read and fixed my one remaining playable alt, who had had a really atrocious skill set since forever.

So I guess I am glad for that. But this new system? Not paying and not changing my skills until/if it's fixed. I am not risking it. Another assurance that we are locked into builds. Not a good idea. :(

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    so they are removing the ability to train using a BOFF now? Or will they leave that in place?
  • Options
    kranfordtbutcherkranfordtbutcher Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Here's a suggestion. The rare raining manuals as loot or mission rewards.

I'd also suggest leaving the ability to sacrifice a boff in the name of skill training intact. A rule of thumb that should be applied, and consistently hasn't, is that if something isn't broke, don't fix it. If you plan on improving something, don't launch your new system until you are absolutely certain you have ironed the kinks out. I understand that you are on a schedule, but I'd rather wait a bit longer for a quality product than immediately have a half-finished mess.
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    'We are also planning on releasing those Rare Abilities as Training Manuals in the future but we have not determined the method on it yet'.
    i think this means they cant decide whether they will be made available via lockbox or r&d boxes.

tigeraries wrote: »
    so they are removing the ability to train using a BOFF now? Or will they leave that in place?

its being removed.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    its being removed.

oh is that why purple boffs are selling for less now on the exchange?

guess I need to unload my dups now too...
  • Options
    originalshakkaroriginalshakkar Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The boffs on our station list on the right but not part of our regular crew. I've saved boffs with these skills but at the moment don't have the slots to make them all regular crew. So now I wonder do those boff candidates go up in a puff of smoke, or can they be added to a crew with their skills intact after the 29th.
    I used to be Shakkar with thousands of posts. My very identity was stolen from me so now I am originalshakkar, the original.
  • Options
    nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Honestly.. this is getting difficult to take, even the rosiest glasses in all of the CDF can start to shatter.

Given all the enormous problems in the game, devs decide to TRIBBLE with a system that has only minor issues, then TRIBBLE it up completely by not finishing and making everyone suffer. Chances are this is going to be pushed out no matter how bad it is; the revamp is likely really just to hide that the backend is changing to support another change somewhere else.
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    The boffs on our station list on the right but not part of our regular crew. I've saved boffs with these skills but at the moment don't have the slots to make them all regular crew. So now I wonder do those boff candidates go up in a puff of smoke, or can they be added to a crew with their skills intact after the 29th.

from what I understand... you can add them to your crew and the skills they have will be what they have once the update goes live.

what you can't do is use them to train the other bridge officers.

so what you can do is use them now to train the various BOs you have with the rare skills... then when the update goes live they will have these skills. Then you can change em back to the way you like.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Of these rare skills... which are good to have?

Engineering Ground
    Weapons Malfunction III
    Reroute Power to Shields III

Science Ground
    Tachyon Harmonic III
    Stasis Field III
    Vascular Regenerator III

Tactical Ground
    Battle Strategies III
    Draw Fire III
    Smoke Grenade III
    Lunge III
    Ambush II
    Ambush III
    Stun Grenade II

Engineering Space
    Auxiliary to Structural III
    Boarding Party III
    Reverse Shield Polarity III
    Aceton Beam III

Science Space
    Mask Energy Signature III
    Polarize Hull III
    Tractor Beam III
    Transfer Shield Strength III
    Charged Particle Burst III
    Energy Siphon III
    Tyken's Rift III
    Viral Matrix III

Tactical Space
    Beam Array: Overload III
    Target Weapons Subsystems III
    Target Shields Subsystems III
    Target Engines Subsystems III
    Target Auxiliary Subsystems III
    Attack Pattern Delta III

These are the only skills I have used...

Battle Strategies III

Energy Siphon III
    Tyken's Rift III

Also... what happens to the Captain Trainable skills? Will the ability to train BOs in those skills go away too?
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Disappointing, but thanks for the heads up, I had missed those posts.
    Disappointing, but not unexpected. Sadly, that's how cryptic always work, they release unfinished content, usually half broken, and we have the rest months later.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    vexidiousvexidious Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    So, they have an existing system that works poorly, but it works.

And they are going to replace it with a system that, apparently, does not work for a lot of skills.

Cryptic, what are you doing? Why?!?!
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2015
    Epic fail. I have a lot of the subsystem targeting III ones and ES3+TR3.

Why must they always release unfinished things? They took forever to make the secondary deflectors, but rush through this unfinished system without blinking an eye.

Please just delay it a couple of weeks instead of causing grief.

Heck, R&D is still in an unfinished state in my book until they add special modifiers to ground weapons crafting.
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    On one hand I SHOULD log in and start training up one toon after another, making sure everyone has Siphon3, Spread3 A2SIF3, and TSS3. On the other hand, with the way they keep 'fixing' things by making them worse, its getting really hard to care.
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The day before the revamp, or before if you can't log later, I strongly advise to train all your BOFF with those skills you might use one day. Even if you are not using them right now.
    That way, you'll have them when the revamp hit, and since it's permanent, you're safe. You can always train what you were using afterwards.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    1) I wanted to express my thanks for the honesty in this warning by the Dev that wrote it up .

2) To said Dev , plz don't take the following personally , as it's not meant to be .

3) To Cryptic ... (sigh) -- the best way I can put this is the way other have and will put it as well :
    Can you wait with this system until it's fully functional , and not release it piecemeal ?

I'm asking because ...

4) You will have sh^t storms the likes of which you have not seen once players realise they don't have the option to train top level powers anymore (and they won't until ... whenever) .

5) I know you love your TRIBBLE systems .
    But mess with the basics , and you will get what you deserve ... , considering that if you roll out the system as is , over 90% of the playerbase will be ignorant of the downsides to it until it's too late .

... as always , this message will be ignored in 5 seconds . Good luck Jim ...
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Oh my god.

You mean when this system comes out it'll automatically, without my consent and against my will, alter the powers of my BOffs, just because I untrained a skill that they consider "rare" that I didn't need? What if what I replaced that power with is also rare?

Honestly not many of those powers look like they'll actually affect anything I have but we're still talking about a system release literally changing my BOff powers, as in you're taking what I have and replacing it with something I didn't want, and potentially doing so in a way that makes it difficult to undo.

This makes me kinda angry. You do not outright replace what I have with something else. This is no different than taking away a Defiant's Cmdr Tac and giving it a Cmdr Eng slot.
  • Options
    gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    no the ability you trained them in will still be there you will just have to re-select it

the boffs will no longer "forget" an ability as soon as they are trained but you now have to determine what is active

don;t get me wrong i still think this is very poorly thought out and having abilities that are now basicly impossible to get is pretty much the dumbest thing ever
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg