test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Playable Cardassian Faction

section31agent#8506 section31agent Member Posts: 665 Arc User
edited February 2015 in Federation Discussion
Is it me or does it seem like we are only at war with the Iconians? If we are not at war with the Cardassians and we can fly thier ships, why can't they have thier own faction? There seems to be alot left on the table with them. i really hated it when the devs removed the DS9 STF with the Cardassians. I actually enjoyed the ground pound even if it got a little annoying with the holoprojecters. I even enjoyed the old fake DS9 that the Undine had...[damn you Sulu.] I had finally found a way to free you. Yes I managed to beat the borked version... it took real skill and out of the box thinking to win.

Example: Cover shield wasn't nerfed so my group used it to block the entrance to keep Undine trapped behind the spawn point while NPC engineers accessed consoles. meanwhile I stood up top the balcony with my TR-116A sniper rifle and pounded the leaders with psionic abilities. Aahhhh those were the days....
Post edited by section31agent#8506 on

Comments

• comic1996comic1996 Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I argee if the Federation is not at war with them then you should be able to play them. Yet it is understand able that games need to have their npc that you can't play.
  • section31agent#8506 section31agent Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Is everybody in the Federation? What happened to the warring Klingon houses and other treacherous factions? Surley there is not enough room for the coniving slithering Obsidian Order. Personally I think they need to make trading its own faction and have it led by the Ferengi. You should have to worry about transporting what may be considered contraband by different factions across thier controlled sectors.

We need to have different factions not all just allied with klingons and Federation.

1. Traders faction with the various freighters led by Ferengi.

2. Romulan and Reman

3. Klingon

4. Trade faction led by Orions

5. Cardassian

6. Federation as it was during TOS
  • section31agent#8506 section31agent Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    You know it seemed like every so often there was a diplomatic crisis that threatened the safety of the Empire and the Federation like Romulans helping one side of the Klingon Civil War. There was never a lasting peace between any of the factions for very long and individuals were always power grabbing even in the Federation. So why not focus on these fissures each month with a feature episode for each faction to maintain thier own security?

The missions could even be something from the Authors Of The Foundry so as to not tie up devs. Each mission type could be interwoven into a grand scheme like a Temporal War for example. This way the players would have an ability to choose the content they want to see.

Starbase UGC for example could oversee the projects and vote to place them into the Foundry Spotlight as a monthly mission.
  • vermatrixvermatrix Member Posts: 335 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I could see a playable faction consisting of Cardassians and maybe some Dominion but one reason a playable Cardassian faction would be difficult to do is because of the Cardassian and Jem'Hadar lock boxes. You know people who got those ships would riot if they were given out as freebies to a faction. Then theres a story line for them, Based on what we have currently, it would take the form of the player playing as a Cardassian from a colony that comes under attack by the True Way and blah, blah, blah, basically being way too identical to the Romulan Republic tutorial and story line.

Then theres what to do with them end game, would they be similar to the RR, having to pick fed or kdf to ally with, or would they be a fully fleshed out faction that can form their own fleets with a fleet starbase that resembles DS9 in which case everyone with a Romulan character would have fits wanting that faction to be a full one as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • torleiktorleik Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    vermatrix wrote: »
    I could see a playable faction consisting of Cardassians and maybe some Dominion but one reason a playable Cardassian faction would be difficult to do is because of the Cardassian and Jem'Hadar lock boxes. You know people who got those ships would riot if they were given out as freebies to a faction. Then theres a story line for them, Based on what we have currently, it would take the form of the player playing as a Cardassian from a colony that comes under attack by the True Way and blah, blah, blah, basically being way too identical to the Romulan Republic tutorial and story line.

Then theres what to do with them end game, would they be similar to the RR, having to pick fed or kdf to ally with, or would they be a fully fleshed out faction that can form their own fleets with a fleet starbase that resembles DS9 in which case everyone with a Romulan character would have fits wanting that faction to be a full one as well.

I have both the Cardassian Galor and the Jem'Hadar Dreadnought and I wouldn't want that to stand in the way of a Cardassian "fraction". It's not all about the Galor anyway, that's just one ship of many. I would still have my lockbox Galor and it would still be special for the character it's on.

I'm also comfortable with the fact that it would probably be done in the same way as the Romulans were done.

As the to storyline... yeah I could see that being a bit of a repeat, but that's up to some creative writers to make interesting. I'm sure there are ways it could be done with or without the Dominion. There's the whole GQ to play with.
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    the last thing we need is another 'faction' to dilute dev attentions and ramp up powercreep.
  • zaynarzaynar Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'm personally just waiting for the Cardassians to become a playable faction, I'd full expect them to be implemented in the same fashion as the Romulans were.
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    A playable Cardassian faction would be problematic because the developers have wrote themselves into a corner when it comes to the Union.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    A playable Cardassian faction would be problematic because the developers have wrote themselves into a corner when it comes to the Union.

How so? If this is about the lockbox Galor, there's an easy way around that: rename the lockbox Galor a "True Way Galor" (with a different skin option available) and make the factional Galor playably different from it.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Well, contrary to everyone else I think that the Devs should just write that Cardassia joins the Federation as another member world then unlock playable Cardassians either for free or in the C-Store.

Problem solved. People get to play Cardassians and have a few Cardassian-themed missions but without adding another "fraction" to further fracture the Dev's attentions.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    As I said in another thread, Seven's lines at the end of Borg Disconnected point heavily to the Cooperative being the next playable faction. Specifically when she says that the Cooperative will one day be a powerful ally.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    edited February 2015
    mikoto8472 wrote: »
    Well, contrary to everyone else I think that the Devs should just write that Cardassia joins the Federation as another member world then unlock playable Cardassians either for free or in the C-Store.

Problem solved. People get to play Cardassians and have a few Cardassian-themed missions but without adding another "fraction" to further fracture the Dev's attentions.

The only problem I have with this idea, is that you would not have Cardassian ships. Granted there is the Galor in the lock-box, but I either have to buy a bunch of keys or buy it off the GTN, neither of which I am able to afford.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Dominion faction: WANT!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited February 2015
    zaynar wrote: »
    The only problem I have with this idea, is that you would not have Cardassian ships. Granted there is the Galor in the lock-box, but I either have to buy a bunch of keys or buy it off the GTN, neither of which I am able to afford.

Well, that's kinda the point of my idea.

With Cardassia joining the Federation there wouldn't need to be extra playable Cardassian ships. Sure there would be a small npc defence force around Cardassia but the playable Cardassians would be Starfleet Officers who fly Starfleet ships. Most available playable species don't get their own ships to fly. That being said of course it probably wouldn't hurt to put a Keldon ship in the C-Store much like the Caitian, Vulcan and Andorian ships for those who want the "complete" Cardassian experience.
    edited February 2015
    mikoto8472 wrote: »
    Well, that's kinda the point of my idea.

With Cardassia joining the Federation there wouldn't need to be extra playable Cardassian ships. Sure there would be a small npc defence force around Cardassia but the playable Cardassians would be Starfleet Officers who fly Starfleet ships. Most available playable species don't get their own ships to fly. That being said of course it probably wouldn't hurt to put a Keldon ship in the C-Store much like the Caitian, Vulcan and Andorian ships for those who want the "complete" Cardassian experience.

Oh I got that; I personally want to level a Cardassian with Cardassian ships and their own story.
    edited February 2015
    zaynar wrote: »
    Oh I got that; I personally want to level a Cardassian with Cardassian ships and their own story.

Ah I see. Well I wouldn't object to it if the Devs did do a Legacy of Cardassia, I just think my idea is more practical.

But then again I'd love to see a season dedicated to storylines of the the Federation/alpha quadrant that explores the cultures, homeworlds and ways of the more prominent species. Caitian, Andorian, Vulcan, Betazoid, Tellarite, Saurian, Lethean, Nausicaan, Orion, Ferasan, Cardassian, New Romulan...

Why not learn of home more fully first before we go vaulting off into the Delta Quadrant. Having a Legacy of Cardassia would be a step in the right direction.

Ahh but we can dream for awile. ;)