Install Arc
Options

Ship Power Guide & Calculator

12346»

Comments

• Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I haven't forgot about the spreadsheet, but right now RL commitments (job, family) have taken priority. Honestly, I have chosen to use the spare time I do get actually playing the game, rather than testing/supporting it. Heh.

And while I thank you therealnevos, there doesn't seem to be much demand for the Calc anymore. Actually, not sure there ever really was. Looking back at the thread, there are few posts, other than my own (<10 in the last ~6mos, for example). I don't mean to fish for compliments, but even when I leave open questions about the Calc (the last one back in Jan, post 145), I get little reply. >shrug<

I mean, I kind of get it. STO is no longer alt-friendly, I know myself, I don't level new characters anymore and all the new ships/gear haven't offered any new/better gameplay so I haven't bothered with much of it (at least none that deals with Ship's Power). So maybe people are tinkering with their builds less (I know I am, of course some of that, as I mentioned, is time-related)...

Not to mention, with all the power creep in the game, Ship's Power, while still important, isn't as necessary, nor difficult to get. It's super easy to get max power, and there are plenty of other ways to buff your output, even without it.

So...

Is the Calc worth continuing? Besides adding the dozen-ish missing ships, is there any real need to update the Calc? Are people still interested in getting an updated version?

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    maelwy5maelwy5 Member Posts: 593 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Is the Calc worth continuing? Besides adding the dozen-ish missing ships, is there any real need to update the Calc? Are people still interested in getting an updated version?

Personally I still use a (slightly tweaked) version of it. I like being able to predict exactly where my power levels will end up after Skillpoints and Consoles and Plasmonic Leech and EPTS and the like... it makes optimising Ship builds a little bit more of a Science than an Art ;)

...although I agree about STO being a bit less than Alt-friendly these days, so I can sympathise with any reluctance to spend too much time on it. Even with the "Sponsership" system and the new Daily Bonus marks, completing the Rep system on a new character is a wee bit longwinded for my liking. And building up new stockpiles of Dilithium and Purple DOFFs and a collection of untradable items like Consoles, Equipment or Weapons was always a grind in the first place.

That said, it only really gets annoyingly grindy at endgame. And concept builds are still fun :)
    [ <<<--- @Maelwys --->>> ]
  • Options
    elvis4410elvis4410 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Yes! I've been waiting for the new version. PLEASE continue My Lord. :D
  • Options
    therealnevostherealnevos Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I used it and now people will be wanting it more as the choices of undine and many other deflectors etc... Is making it even more important to mix and match. Right now people are using fleet covariant and 2 borg set for pvp and pve but with this spreadsheet, you can make sure you mix and match properly to get the right settings eg. tanking, dps etc... so please if you can, can you update it for season 9?
  • Options
    tarsudotarsudo Member Posts: 343 Arc User
    edited May 2014

I know the family, work, rl is first but... yes but... Here in the game i use your calculator for change the ship my toons, for help my team mates and of couse try to teaching how to use some new people in the game.

Patrician, your calculator was, is and will be a lot help. But your duties in the rl are alot we understand.

But remember a lot of people (old and some new) hope you have the next calculator update!!

Qapla'
  • Options
    therealnevostherealnevos Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Agreed

Family comes first but we will always want your spreadsheet.

Good luck and look forward to seeing if you do update the spread sheet :)
  • Options
    oldlordskull73oldlordskull73 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I've used pretty much every iteration of the Calc you've made, brother! Please keep updating it....but only at your convenience! It is still a great tool for creating builds! I sincerely appreciate the work you've put into it!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    freezy321freezy321 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    More please ;-)

Awesome job so far
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    While browsing the Intarwebs I happened to find that someone named Vel'Gon had taken my Power Calculator and updated it. They kept my name and history in the About section, but added their own, and proceeded to update it for Delta Rising.

Other than a quick look-see at it, I haven't actually used or tested the new version, but if anyone's interested, it's here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fvDJAb0ssxg7U-F3P99aV3cDBMUdq0OJ787ixf3nzFg/edit?pli=1#gid=945172701

It would have been nice for them to post an "FYI" notice here in the official thread, but otherwise I don't mind since I haven't interest in keeping things updated.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.