test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

putting pressure on dili/zen exchange wont stimulate real money purchases - why?

davideightdavideight Member Posts: 458 Arc User
lets make an example of how I funded my puchases in this game and why.

i, so far, have always been able to have around 2k zen whenever a ship came out - because i wanted it the time it came out - i spent 10€ realmoney to get the rest zen.

due to recent upgradesystem dili sink and upcoming reward changes and difficulty raises in stfs and dili-rewarding missions, my zen stay around zero.

now, a ship comes out, will i buy a SHIP for 30€ now? i can say. i wont. cause thats 30€ thats basically woth 2months of subscription based games we wont name here. a ship never lasts THIS LONG.

basically all cstore prices were justified by the fact, that we were able to "sub-fund" it via playing the game. so a ship turned out to cost around 10€ (some managed to buy them completely, others may bought it fullprice)

so in the end, no pressure you will put upon the game rewards, it wont ever stimulate purchases.

the game is just not:

lasting enough (so a ship i buy for 30€ isnt even fun one week until the next is released!)

and GOOD enough in quality.

basically this financing model is gonna fail if you keep that way.

going down that road will reveal one thing to you pw:

the store prices will be MUCH TO HIGH for the fact we have to completely fund it withrealmoney.

cut prices 1/4 of now, and everything will be fine again.

cause you know: having no purchases of 30€ is worse than having 100k purchases of 10€ for a ship ,-)
Post edited by davideight on

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    As a business owner, would you rather earn $10 in sales or $30 in sales?

if i can have 100kthousand times 10€ sales or nearly none for 30€ i would choose the first. especially if i sel la virtual ware, that has only ONE TIME production costs. selling to many many for few euros is better than selling to VERY few for the triple price.

thats why i dont get cryptics logic.

if i only have a product thats "real" and i only have one, id certainly sell as high as possible- like i dont know, virginity ^^

but in a virtual world this logic doesnt relate.

the product is virtual, is produced one time and can be sold UNLIMITED TIMES (or here: once per account) and doesnt raise costs this way. so i dont get it.

before i sell some of the products to lets say 10k people for 30€ or selling it to 100k people for 10€, id say math is clear whats the better option.
  • Options
    axel667axel667 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Seeing as how they're starting to crumble as is I would say a guaranteed $10 per player is worth more than sporadically getting $30 and making your community that much more aggravated. I mean how many didn't get their christmas ships as promised? They're still trying to recover from that PR blow. Something has to give or this game is gonna fail before the end of the year. I hate saying it because I love Star Trek but there it is, the plot is laid. Let's see if they fill it or not.
    Are you free?
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    axel667 wrote: »
    Seeing as how they're starting to crumble as is I would say a guaranteed $10 per player is worth more than sporadically getting $30 and making your community that much more aggravated. I mean how many didn't get their christmas ships as promised? They're still trying to recover from that PR blow. Something has to give or this game is gonna fail before the end of the year. I hate saying it because I love Star Trek but there it is, the plot is laid. Let's see if they fill it or not.

thats what i dont get at pw ...

why is sellign a virtual product with one time only costs to very few for 30€ better than selling it to everyone for 10€ ...

im no buisnessman, but i just dont get it. its totally a-economic or how i could name that. its more irrational than i ever thought "capitalism" could be.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    it will also lead to the fact that less are playing less amounts, less dili is there, and overall purchases will decline.

basically i cannot see anyone willing to spend 2 months of subscription money to ONE DAMN ITEM.

30€ for one ship is and always WAS to much. it was only justified because we could fund 20€ via dili/zen.

unless america is full of 500mio dollar year income people playing startrek. i really doubt that. i think pw ignores "breakpoints" to when a purchase is just to high in numbers to be even considered!

i predict that people will stop playing and switch over playin 2 months of wow for those 30€ ,-)

also you and pw assume: that people have unlimited money to spend. if thing get harder to get, people wont spend more, cause they dont HAVE MORE, they just buy less items for the same money.

also the overall gameplay becomes so pressured, noone enjoys gaming anymore - which leads to less players and less purchases.

sry but your and pw logic is wrong because its shortcutting parts of the reality.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    And yet, the game is utterly polluted with people who spent $50+ on ship bundles, way more than $50 opening lockboxes etc. Again, you're assuming everyone shares your purchasing habits.

no they dont spend 50dolalrs. they spend 10 dollars and 4k zen they played for. thats the point.

cryptic only sees that those things are getting purchased, not "how".

in the future people will tend to buy the single variants, because they have to pay the full amount rather than having 4k ready zen and 1k zen of real money. thats the whole point!

you will see that pw is totally wrong how people buy things.

there may be a minority of players willign to spend 200€ and more. but those actually dont fund the game. the games funding lies in the many purchases of the masses.

many that pay 10€ to get to that 3k or 5k bundle. if they are pressured into paying 30€ or 50€ they will maybe buy it. but overall they wont spend more per year, cause they will just buy LESS ships for 30€ than before when they bought 3 ships for 3x10€ +6k spare zen.

thats the whole point you are missing.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    basically whats resulting is: same amount of income, less items sold, and with the strong risk of even loosing money cause more players get frustrated and stop paying AT ALL.

going the way that many puchase many items for less is clearly more economic, esp in virtual selling environments.

thats basically what captialism is: selling much for few price to many. the only thing in reallife thats countering that is raw materials are limited in real goods. in vuirtual goods capitalism actually can work:

produce as much as possible, lower price per item, sell as much items as possible.

heck where did you learn economics?
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    davideight wrote: »
    no they dont spend 50dolalrs. they spend 10 dollars and 4k zen they played for.

Remember - that Zen? The Zen you exchanged your Dil for? Someone had to buy it. Which means every zen you spend, whether it came from your dollars or your playing, is money for Cryptic.

...ok, yes, some portion of the zen is from Lifers' stipend. But are there really so many Lifers that it would account for most of the zen in the exchange? (And anyway - Lifers spent money as well, so that zen still represents cash for Cryptic.)
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    And yet, the game is utterly polluted with people who spent $50+ on ship bundles, way more than $50 opening lockboxes etc. Again, you're assuming everyone shares your purchasing habits.
    To use your own words against you: "Really? Care to provide a link to the concrete data that Cryptic has posted to confirm this?" :)

The truth is we do not know how many people buy Bundles compared to opening Lockboxes. If I were to hazard a guess I would say there are probably far more people spending $50.00 on Lockboxes rather then Bundles, though. People will not think twice about dropping $10.00 a week on Keys because they do not really register that as $40.00 - $50.00 per month in their minds. And that is the same in a lot of games. Between myself and my children I know I spent close to $100.00 on Shadow Acolyte Packs in SWTOR this month. :)

At the end of the day whether you grind Zen or buy Zen 99% of it comes from someone buying it. You are lucky if it is not you, but if you buy 1,000 Zen and use 4,000 of someone else's Cryptic still made the $50.00 from the players.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    if i can have 100kthousand times 10€ sales or nearly none for 30€ i would choose the first. especially if i sel la virtual ware, that has only ONE TIME production costs. selling to many many for few euros is better than selling to VERY few for the triple price.

thats why i dont get cryptics logic.

Faulty Logic here... If C-Store items could be sold like hotcakes, then the above assumptions would be true. However, nearly all of the C-Store items are not consumables, but instead, are one-time account bound purchases. Because of this, dropping the price of C-Store items will not result in a long term increase in sales, as once a item is purchased for an account, there is no longer any need for further purchases...

(That is, unless your proposing that all C-Store purchases become character bound instead of Account bound, which would generate increased demand for C-Store items...)
  • Options
    lored2deathlored2death Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2015

You forgot about $0. $0 is a possible outcome if you drive away customers.
  • Options
    qunlar2020qunlar2020 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    A lot of assumption that no one is purchasing the higher end ships with little or no real money. Their is no real way you could know for sure.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I was Klingon before Klingon was cool.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    qunlar2020 wrote: »
    A lot of assumption that no one is purchasing the higher end ships with little or no real money. Their is no real way you could know for sure.
    Most of every purchase is used with real money - Stipends and bonus Zen being the only exceptions. But not every purchase is done with an individual's own money. For example, I have not purchased a single Zen since the game went FTP over 3 years ago yet I have over 75,000 Zen on my account and own everything in the game I want. Many other people paid for all those things for me. They paid with real money, but I paid none of it.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    qunlar2020qunlar2020 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Most of every purchase is used with real money - Stipends and bonus Zen being the only exceptions. But not every purchase is done with an individual's own money. For example, I have not purchased a single Zen since the game went FTP over 3 years ago yet I have over 75,000 Zen on my account and own everything in the game I want. Many other people paid for all those things for me. They paid with real money, but I paid none of it.

You and I belive that becouse that is how we manage our acounts. We can not be sure beyond a reasonable doubt that it is true though. What we see gives us reason to believe it is so. The release of the equipment up-grade system back in August is one example. It came just in time to keep the dil/zen conversion from getting too high for some farmers. It is most probable to us that crypric wanted to save the whale-farmer dynamic, but it could be something else we did not think of. Point is we realy don't do for sure.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I was Klingon before Klingon was cool.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    qunlar2020 wrote: »
    You and I belive that becouse that is how we manage our acounts. We can not be sure beyond a reasonable doubt that it is true though. What we see gives us reason to believe it is so. The release of the equipment up-grade system back in August is one example. It came just in time to keep the dil/zen conversion from getting too high for some farmers. It is most probable to us that crypric wanted to save the whale-farmer dynamic, but it could be something else we did not think of. Point is we realy don't do for sure.
    I will simply say again that every purchase is done with "real money." It might not be YOUR money, but it is someone's money. The only exception to this is Stipends and bonus Zen from large Zen purchases.

Just because I have over 70,000 Zen does not mean someone did not pay for it. It was just not me who paid for it. The grinders need to understand that it is not free Zen. It is simply free to them. Someone paid for most of it. If the people who buy Zen stop doing so then the people who grind for Zen will not have any available to trade. It is a symbiotic system that needs spenders and grinders to both be involved, otherwise it does not work.

Cryptic's job is to make money each month. They do that by making some people want to buy Zen. What they do with the Zen beyond that is their own business.
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    basically whats resulting is: same amount of income, less items sold, and with the strong risk of even loosing money cause more players get frustrated and stop paying AT ALL.

going the way that many puchase many items for less is clearly more economic, esp in virtual selling environments.

thats basically what captialism is: selling much for few price to many. the only thing in reallife thats countering that is raw materials are limited in real goods. in vuirtual goods capitalism actually can work:

produce as much as possible, lower price per item, sell as much items as possible.

heck where did you learn economics?

Where in the world did you figure U.S. capitalism works in this fashion?

Supply and demand is our motto, meaning the more you want, the more I will demand for supplying it.

In other words, capitalistic goal, is to achieve as much money quickly, while demand remains high/steady, than only than shall you reduce prices to increase/steady lowering demands, once demands are steadied/increased, so too must the cost of demanded product.

This has always been a greed filled motto IMO but, it seems to be what certain people prefer and, what people are willing to abide by even if they are brainwashed into believing this is what's best.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited January 2015

I'd rather earn $10x4 than $30x1.
  • Options
    crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Seeing as $40 is greater than $30, you've essentially proven my original point. :D

Not at all. Since you are talking economics, don't forget the elasticity of demand. I'd be very interested in seeing Cryptic's EoD for various items.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Most of my purchases over the years came from $ spent. However lately some came from grinding Dil for them. So I use both ways to get zen. And still that is $ for the Cryptic. Since someone had to spend $ to get the zen to exchange. That is the only way to buy zen is $.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.