test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

a few thoughts about the future...(of STO)

patrickngopatrickngo Member Posts: 9,963 Arc User
Well, let's see...

They removed exploration.

They're removing story missions.

They've removed factions from PvP.

The latest "Expansion" was heavily biased toward the Federation, with all subsequent high-end new ships being made-up-cross-faction Garbage.

Same bugs persist for KDF that were persisting for KDF in 2014,13, 12, 11...

5th Anniversary ship's due to be some kross-Faktion-kobali thing.

I have to wonder: are we seeing a slow build/gear up to deleting the KDF as a faction, or is Cryptic setting up to 'Generic space MMO' when the license deal with CBS expires?

I'm just not seeing much, y'know, future here, esp. for a Star Trek game. Everything done thus far since the change of EP indicates they're either gearing down to remove a faction (KDF), or to remove the last vestiges of Star Trek and use the remnants for another game.

anyhow, the thought's kind of depressing, but what's your take?
Nature doesn't HAVE to be nice, or polite.

Free Hong Kong.

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I wish I could comfort you.... but future is of concern.

There is always the possibility of turnaround, but I'm not seeing much effort or dialogue from the powers that be.
  • Options
    icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    i was just talking about and saying the same things yesterday. HOB fleet chat with all 4 online members just when admin sent out those test of galactic news network messages . the writing is on the wall its headed for a single faction.
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    patrickngo wrote: »

I have to wonder: are we seeing a slow build/gear up to deleting the KDF as a faction, or is Cryptic setting up to 'Generic space MMO' when the license deal with CBS expires?

If by Space you mean Federation, then yes, the game has already started down that long black road.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    wahlberg88wahlberg88 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    If you guys check the Episodes List for KDF it's twice the size of FED , they have installed more KDF content in that department than FEDs , and after looking at the numbers it seems the population is growing not dying , the KDF could use some more content Ships wise , but TBH what im seeing here is some disgruntled KDF players talking all doom and gloom because they want more.

A better idea would be starting a thread , stating your case and giving suggestions on how to go about it
  • Options
    kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited January 2015
    Well, let's see...

They removed exploration.

They're removing story missions.

They've removed factions from PvP.

The latest "Expansion" was heavily biased toward the Federation, with all subsequent high-end new ships being made-up-cross-faction Garbage.

Same bugs persist for KDF that were persisting for KDF in 2014,13, 12, 11...

5th Anniversary ship's due to be some kross-Faktion-kobali thing.

I'm just not seeing much, y'know, future here, esp. for a Star Trek game. Everything done thus far since the change of EP indicates they're either gearing down to remove a faction (KDF), or to remove the last vestiges of Star Trek and use the remnants for another game.

anyhow, the thought's kind of depressing, but what's your take?

Frankly, I see it as more apathy for KDF/Rom than anything else they made some money off them. But they don't seem willing to add/fix some QoL issues with them we have complained about for awhile.

Ex.... Variety of ships[release those NPC ships as leveling options please], player costume/color choices [would you like dark or darker with that outfit captain], lighting in KDF exchange area [personal pet peeve, course its almost as dark outside you'd think there is no sun till you hit the Ketha lowlands].
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The huge opportunity to rebalance the factions with DR was completely wasted- I mean, 7/2/2 for T6 ships?

Judging by their actions, it seems they would rather non-Federation everything to just go byebye. Historically, Cryptic is plain awful at supporting more than one faction anyway.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited January 2015

The KD who...??? Never heard of 'em...

Look man, this isn't Star Wars, okay?
  • Options
    daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    sinn74 wrote: »
    The huge opportunity to rebalance the factions with DR was completely wasted- I mean, 7/2/2 for T6 ships?

I'm thinking, dude -- if they wanted to do a T6 upgrade, why not include a Warship Voyager as the promo for Tier 6? PWE/Cryptic employees are beyond incompetent. I mean, if CBS didn't allow it, they could at least tell us. They seem to be beyond vocal about how CBS won't let them do a T5 Connie...why not communicate about Warship Voyager? It seems like the simplest thing ever, but they're rather remain silent like it doesn't matter. If that attitude continues...well, DOOM.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • Options
    dc1701dc1701 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    This is not a direct reply to this thread, just wanted to ask if there is a specific thread or area you can go to to give suggestions? I have a good one and dont wanna waste it... PLEASE HELP!
  • Options
    daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    dc1701 wrote: »
    This is not a direct reply to this thread, just wanted to ask if there is a specific thread or area you can go to to give suggestions? I have a good one and dont wanna waste it... PLEASE HELP!

Don't bother. The devs don't care and PWE isn't listening.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Not wanting to say doom or anything, but I think it's a pretty safe fact that STOs concept a a two-faction MMO (with the option for a third one) failed and now and in the future we will probably not see content that is not cross-faction. From a economic point of view that even makes sense, I would just wish for someone at Cryptic to be honest about it and say it out loud and plain, because in the end it was their decisions that made the game into what it is today.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    So is this another Doom thread? Because it just sounds like one. If it's not, then it's the usual gloom thread. Which works too. Regardless, my own thoughts.

Seriously still caring about factions, when all 3 sides finally put their differences aside at the end of Surface Tension to focus on the Delta quadrant, and when a few of the more recent ships were general copies of Fed ones (Odyssey->Bortesqu, Dyson ships, Avenger->Mogh).

Frankly, I'm more amazed that Cryptic resisted this long in writing in the unification in order to make it a Starfleet-centric game (more than it was previously at least) rather than continue to deal with the nuances and subtleties of each specific faction. They already mostly gave up special Tac/Sci/Eng choices in later missions; I'm not surprised they didn't even attempt a similar system based on faction + race either; ie Fed Betazoid not trusting Dr. Cooper at all, Alien characters having the most dialog variety (so you can really be a "custom" race and personality), or KDF Klingons forcing the broad on old Drozana to drink any random cocktail.

Still, they at least didn't make Starfleet claim the Solanae Dyson Sphere (Romulans are mainly managing it with support from Feds and KDF), So Romulans are still represented in some form. Unlike the KDF, who have practically zero further appearances after.

As far as future planning goes, I expect a return to DS9 at some point and starring a T6 Defiant, or a new original episode chain that "might" star a T6 Galaxy (if not the Flagship trio, them maybe serving below the Flagships). Maybe in the Gamma Quadrant. By then, Roms and KDF would have gotten at least one Sci ship. Maybe with a useless Specialization for that setup (Command Spec Sci ships technically make the cut; most of those abilities would not work well on a Sci ship unlike Intel).
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Well, when you consider the actual STO plotline, whether you like it or not the KDF is no longer justified to exist as a faction. PVP is now in violation of the armistice and command decisions regarding further material are a matter of joint command. This was evident even in the Borg STF's...after all, the Borg do have a tendency to put petty territory grabs into their rightful perspective (and that's all the "They're infiltrated!" was a cover for even if the Klingons did manage to have more evidence this time than they did back in '72), and the Iconians even more so. And "Surface Tension" sealed it.

From the very beginning the KDF as a faction was not justified by the plot because petty squabbling when you've got far, far bigger threats out there is absurd.

Now if you insist on a two-faction game that is plot-justified, the setup should have been one of two things: 1) a Cold War that blows up into a hot war between two major alliances of relatively equal tech similar to the Typhon Pact novels and every race and power that matters is on one side or the other or 2) the Dominion War blows up again and you can choose to play Feds, Roms, and KDF as subgroups within the Allies and it being very explicit that if you sign up for those that you are under allied command and expected to bend and temper your natural responses (both sides) to serve the needs of the Alliance. As in, joint command is a fact of life and you either accept it or get out. A variant of this, however, would ally the Roms or Klinks with the Dominion this time around to allow for true PVP and the war must NOT be resolved. The setup must be so out of hand that it will only have periods of lesser and increased violence.

But the thing about the Dominion is that their rule is not SO apocalyptic or their technology SO far outmatched that automatic imbalance or absurdity is introduced into the premise as with Cryptic's current premise (which IMO has undergone an inevitable self-correction for basic reasonableness). A DWII scenario also avoids the problem of opening up so many disparate fronts that the plot loses focus.

Of course the opportunity for this has passed a long time ago, so IMO all we are seeing is the Rule of Natural Consequences in action. The KDF does not matter because the premise of their whole war was absurd compared to the greater threat and therefore has been rendered irrelevant.

Does that mean no KDF play experience should ever have existed? As I show above, it could have been done in a more reasonable fashion. But as the plot is? No. The Fridge Logic is weak with this one.

Ironically, under my "Typhon Pact scenario," I actually would have respected a naked territory grab by the Klingons more than the false pretenses as before because at least they would have been honest about the fact that they hate Fed ways and want territory. And would not be idiotically undermining the whole quadrant like they did in '72 (I blame the Klinks for the Dominion getting a beachhead in the Cardassian Union) in the face of an apocalyptic threat that makes the territory grab look childish.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    kamenriderzero1kamenriderzero1 Member Posts: 906 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    there are about few spots where the OP crosses the FCT.

the license will not be running out any time soon and Cryptic has the right to renew it so long as they don't TRIBBLE CBS off. CBS has oversight over everything that goes into the game, they don't like it, it doesn't go in.

exploration was removed because it was boring and broken.

PVP faction teaming was turned off because people were demanding it be turned off.

the missions being added to replace the ones removed are much nicer, much more interesting, much more involved, tie into the story better, not filler based crud and much more fun.
    Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
    What's my position?
    That people should know what they're screaming about!
    (paraphrased from "The Newsroom)
  • Options
    makburemakbure Member Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    daqhegh wrote: »

Not to mention you get more ridiculed than not for making a good suggestion.
    -Makbure
  • Options
    midniteshadow7midniteshadow7 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    dc1701 wrote: »

Have a look at the category description to see where you think your post will best fit.

daqhegh wrote: »

Actually, They do!

Most of the points in the OP are found in the Frequently Created Threads (F.C.T) and this is quickly turning into another doom thread, so /closed
This discussion has been closed.