Install Arc
Options

Could we do worse than dinos?

124»

Comments

• Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Well, we don't have Space Laser Sharks or Rainbow Puking Unicorns.. yet.
  • Options
    spockout1spockout1 Member Posts: 314 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    They're called gekli and they come from a next generation episode

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Junior_%28spaceborne_lifeform%29

I kinda like them. They're cute. Dr Who had a space whale, and new age people in the '70s and '80s used to talk about dolphins as being psychic aliens that swam between stars. I always thought that was where the hitchhiker's guide version came from.

I'm pretty sure the Enterprise-D has aquarium-like quarters for dolphins (reputed to be great interstellar navigators).

Also, NO to Space Hippies. Show them the airlock.
    "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true. Except for a T5 Connie. That would be f*%#ing awesome." - Mr. Spock
  • Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I played Star Wars Galaxies. There, they added to the game flying pink ewoks with hearts on their bellies, handing out chocolate covered cherries at a giant chocolate fountain in the middle of Corellia's capital city.

They included pink stormtrooper armour, and black rebel armour with the rebel insignia on the codpiece.

Dinosaurs with lasers on their heads are pretty stupid, but it CAN get worse, trust me.

oh... my... god...
  • Options
    omegaphallicomegaphallic Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The dinos cyborgs made sense in the context of the voth and thier apart of the best ground content in the game. It was awesome and the people dissing can bite me.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    starkaos wrote: »
    Actually Epohhs are just the food supply, building supply, starship structural material, radiation shielding, and a bunch of other uses that the Romulan Republic use them for. There is actually 1001 uses for Epohhs.
    I knew that sounded familiar. So, you're saying that epohhs are basically wastems?

If so, that implies that some of them might be wastits...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The dinos cyborgs made sense in the context of the voth
    No, it didn't. Which do you really think is more likely: that, when fleeing the imminent destruction of their homeworld, the Voth are going to bring along random fauna that might potentially eat them (remember, the Voth are herbivores, as in the prey species), and that need to be constantly fed and cleaned up after (turn-of-the-century armies needed more of their logistical train to feed the horses than the men), or that the Voth are going to build armored vehicles that just need fuel and maintenance?
    and thier apart of the best ground content in the game.
    One man's opinion. I prefer UIA.
    It was awesome and the people dissing can bite me.
    *chomp*
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Frankly anything is game at this point.

Perhaps a story arc detailing the new civilization of salamander-hybrids left behind following Janeway and Paris's spawning?

The Krenim would be cool given they have yet to show us the timeship (and the asset was built).

I think they will milk the Delta Quadrant for everything it's worth soon enough.

*knock on a briefing room door at Starfleet Command where Admiral Paris and Janeway are in a meeting*

*Tsssss Door Opens and Janeway, Paris, and all the other officers look over*

Salamander Guy: Mom? Dad? I'm home! I brought the grand kidssss with me and the wife!

Also supposedly from one of the mission dialogs the Krenim were wiped out by the Vaadwaur. So i think the Krenim will be a no show.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    rjay1985rjay1985 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I love how everyone on this forum is so outraged by STO content and how it is not Trek enough....but I know you have watched the series...there were plenty of things from the shows that were far worse and more bat $h!t crazy that the Vith Bio Dinos. You guys are so hard on Cryptic, but the Star Trek franchise is 50 years of wierd, inconsistent, craziness...and that is part of the charm! So enjoy the game....it might even reduce your blood pressure if you relax and have fun!
  • Options
    scrooge69scrooge69 Member Posts: 1,108 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'm nervous to think, could the developers do worse than dinos with lasers on their heads?

I argue that this was the lowest point of the storyline and it can't really get any worse than that.

Delta rising... storyline wise is actually pretty decent and I look forward to it being completed.

flyn sharks with lasers??

bears with sharkheads with lasers?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    rjay1985 wrote: »
    I love how everyone on this forum is so outraged by STO content and how it is not Trek enough....but I know you have watched the series...there were plenty of things from the shows that were far worse and more bat $h!t crazy that the Vith Bio Dinos. You guys are so hard on Cryptic, but the Star Trek franchise is 50 years of wierd, inconsistent, craziness...and that is part of the charm! So enjoy the game....it might even reduce your blood pressure if you relax and have fun!

Yes, and I tended to find those episodes headache-inducing, too. When Star Trek from TNG on did comedy, with the notable exception of "Trials and Tribble-ations" it was invariably complete garbage. Give me an episode of good, solid drama like "The Best of Both Worlds", "Duet", or "In the Pale Moonlight" any day. Hell, I'll even take "Prime Factors" for inverting the Prime Directive.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    starswordc wrote: »
    Yes, and I tended to find those episodes headache-inducing, too. When Star Trek from TNG on did comedy, with the notable exception of "Trials and Tribble-ations" it was invariably complete garbage. Give me an episode of good, solid drama like "The Best of Both Worlds", "Duet", or "In the Pale Moonlight" any day. Hell, I'll even take "Prime Factors" for inverting the Prime Directive.
    Agreed. When you need to say there is much worse to defend something, then it means the thing you are defending isn't good.

And yes, some ST episode were really bad. A few of them are even running jokes since then. Doesn't mean that should be the baseline for STO stories.

I really like when people start comparing stuff like the Voths dinos to the worst of Star Trek, so they look good in comparison. Somehow, it's never compared to the best, or even the good ST episodes. That alone should say something.

On another unrelated note, I fully support a Janeway/Paris salamander with lazerz on his head. Because it would be fun, and in the ST universe, it's entirely possible.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    erei1 wrote: »
    I really like when people start comparing stuff like the Voths dinos to the worst of Star Trek, so they look good in comparison. Somehow, it's never compared to the best, or even the good ST episodes.
    It's never compared to the good episodes because nobody's contending that laser-dinos are good - the contention being disputed here is that they're the worst thing that ever happened in Star Trek history, a contention easily disproved even from TOS ("Spock's Brain", "The Omega Glory", "The Alternative Factor").
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    captinwh0captinwh0 Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    the Borg won't assimilate dinosaurs, and the Voth uses them to wreck havoc against the Borg.

OOOooooOOOO i would PAY to see a V-Rex Rampaging on a Borg cube! :D:D:D
    nerf.jpg]
  • Options
    jasonl21jasonl21 Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    It's never compared to the good episodes because nobody's contending that laser-dinos are good - the contention being disputed here is that they're the worst thing that ever happened in Star Trek history, a contention easily disproved even from TOS ("Spock's Brain", "The Omega Glory", "The Alternative Factor").

Wow. A sensible post in the thread. Worst Star Trek? Code of Honour...Spock's Brain is a close second.
  • Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    captinwh0 wrote: »
    OOOooooOOOO i would PAY to see a V-Rex Rampaging on a Borg cube! :D:D:D

Now that makes sense. deploying them in environments where the Voth aren;t liable to be attacked by their own creation. Deploying them on the sphere in support of Voth positions does not make sense
  • Options
    edited January 2015

I never said they were the worst thing that ever happened in ST: it's kinda hard to top "Code of Honor", "Profit and Lace", and "Threshold". But that doesn't make them good, it just makes them less bad by comparison.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    So, the dinos are bad.

I'm glad we agree then. I never said it was the worst either. And except for some people, who, I'm sure, were merely using a figure of speech and a bit of hyperbole, that's what most people said.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]