test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Missing Zen?

williampetersenwilliampetersen Member Posts: 30 Arc User
So I log on to STO today and find that my character list is reverse of what it used to be (the order of characters changes when you log on, putting the more recently logged-on on top).

When I get in game on my "main" (at the bottom of the list), I noticed my inventory screen has been resized much smaller, but all my stuff seems to be there. After a little more poking, I noticed I'm missing a hudge chunk of Zen (I'd had like 3200). But, the only way to move Zen or Dil off an account is through the Dilithium Exchange. The exchange keeps a record of all recent (like, last 50 or 100) transactions. There's nothing in this history to suggest where it went, or even THAT it went. This history is also not something players can edit. So somehow, it seems like 3200 Zen has simply disappeared from my account.

It sure looks like I've been 'TRIBBLE', except for the complete lack of evidence in the exchange. Brand new computer, I'm careful about where I browse, I have noscript (which I realize, like nothing, is an imperfect defense), also, I'm pretty sure Cryptic has a system where if you try to log on from an unfamiliar location you have to put in a code that is e-mailed to you.

I'm quite flummoxed by this mystery.

I suppose maybe someone could have logged on to my account bought some keys or fleet modules or R&D packs or some such (Why isn't there an un-editable history of C-store transactions? Or of Market Transactions?) and sold them on the exchange for EC, but why wouldn't they completely clean me out of all my stuff, then? My main still has 9 mil, which I realized isn't a lot, but it's nonzero and easy to steal. Not to mention all the junk in my inventory and bank could probably be sold for another couple mil.

It just doesn't make any sense. Has anyone else recently had a similar experience?
Post edited by williampetersen on

Comments

• Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    no, that isnt the only way to move zen.

I could log into your account (if I TRIBBLE you), buy keys, mail them, and sell them for EC for example. Or any number of other products that can be transferred. As you noted.

Its possible you were TRIBBLE. You should contact support. zen does not simply vanish.
  • Options
    fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Mail has a history. Items bought in the Zen store could have been transferred to another character by the trade window. Probably another account of the hacker. As the above poster said, contact support.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    noroblad wrote: »
    no, that isnt the only way to move zen.

I could log into your account (if I TRIBBLE you), buy keys, mail them, and sell them for EC for example. Or any number of other products that can be transferred. As you noted.

Its possible you were TRIBBLE. You should contact support. zen does not simply vanish.

But if you're after EC, why not clean me out?

I've run some virus scans and I'm not showing anything. How the junk did this happen?

And yeah, I submitted a ticket before I opened this thread.
  • Options
    bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    You mentioned it was a brand new computer. Is this the first time logging into the game on this computer?

I ask this only because the ordering of your toons, and the resizing of your window(s) is not stored on the server I believe but on your own PC. So if that PC has never logged into the game before it wouldn't know your prefs.

This will have nothing to do with any possible missing zen though.
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    bloodyriz wrote: »
    You mentioned it was a brand new computer. Is this the first time logging into the game on this computer?

I ask this only because the ordering of your toons, and the resizing of your window(s) is not stored on the server I believe but on your own PC. So if that PC has never logged into the game before it wouldn't know your prefs.

This will have nothing to do with any possible missing zen though.

Nah. I perhaps overstates the newness. It's about a month old (that's still pretty damned new to me XD). I've logged on a number of times in the past month to get my Sar Theln. =)
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    First, look for spyware and malware on your computer. Change your password and submit a ticket.

I'd consider changing your e-mail password as well since it's possible your e-mail has been compromised.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I ran Windows Defender, MalwareBytes (Free), and BitDefender (Free), and the only thing that turned up was some Trine 2 files that seem to be false-positives.

If I have not found an issue, it seems a bit pointless to change my passwords because whatever allowed their compromising hasn't been dealt with, right?
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I ran Windows Defender, MalwareBytes (Free), and BitDefender (Free), and the only thing that turned up was some Trine 2 files that seem to be false-positives.

If I have not found an issue, it seems a bit pointless to change my passwords because whatever allowed their compromising hasn't been dealt with, right?
    No, it's not pointless. Also, make sure account guard is active on your account.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    edited January 2015
    askray wrote: »
    No, it's not pointless. Also, make sure account guard is active on your account.

I hate all this Crytpic/Arc/PerfectWorld nonsense, makes **** like this a PITA to find/track down. Arc shows no activity at all ever, for anything. Cryptic shows my account guard stuff (yes, it's on), but only shows access from my PC (not that authorized PCs can't be removed when you're done using them without a trace. Because that's secure).
  • Options
    drsanitydrsanity Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    fovrel wrote: »
    Mail has a history. Items bought in the Zen store could have been transferred to another character by the trade window. Probably another account of the hacker. As the above poster said, contact support.

Mail has a history if the person didn't actively 'remove' transactions after sending them.

Fairly sure you can 'delete' messages and they are gone forever.

Just pointing out a way that can be covered tracks.

Edit: in another thought, is there no 'Zen Store' history that can be reviewed in or out of game that shows what you bought with Zen? I'm sure Cryptic maintains that log I just thought we had some means to review that as well.
    "The only thing mankind learns from the study of history is that mankind does not learn from the study of history." ~G. Santayana
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    drsanity wrote: »
    Edit: in another thought, is there no 'Zen Store' history that can be reviewed in or out of game that shows what you bought with Zen? I'm sure Cryptic maintains that log I just thought we had some means to review that as well.

I could just not be looking in the right places, but I sure can't find one.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I am only aware of two logs.

#1 - Zen purchased with real money from "Billing History".
    #2 - The Dilithium Exchange which has a History tab.
  • Options
    stoatheiststoatheist Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    And the other post about zen missing was closed.....why?
  • Options
    android2400android2400 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    stoatheist wrote: »
    And the other post about zen missing was closed.....why?

I challenge you to answer this question askray. Why did my Zen topic get closed and this Zen topic remains opened? You are looking very suspicious in my eyes and in stoatheist eyes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hey Cryptic/Perfect World, you want a successful game and be venerated for Star Trek Online? Then make the game with more fun, instead of making the game with more greed.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Yes, how dare moderators not have omniscient knowledge of every thread on the forums.
  • Options
    aoax10aoax10 Member Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Yes, how dare moderators not have omniscient knowledge of every thread on the forums.

Then perhaps they need to find a new job and find something they are good at.
  • Options
    raeatraeat Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Askray (spit!) is the best moderator ever and the forumites love him/her/it.

Hmmm. Was there a death threat in there somewhere that I am not aware of?
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Well colour me totally unimpressed by customer support. Yeah, they gave me back (less than a third of) my Zen, an utterly pointless gesture when what I want/need is information from logs they surely must have, but don't even acknowledge my requests for. Huzzah for form-letter "support". Why even employ people instead of automating the system, if they won't or aren't allowed to actually engage the person with the problem?

EDIT: I'd also like to clarify that I don't know (or really even care) who Askray is, but it's silly to expect a person to be able to keep tabs on every single post/thread. Then again, I thought this forum had a "report post" button, which it doesn't seem to have, so it really does all rest on the moderators. :shrug:
  • Options
    baldor123baldor123 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    This exact same thing happened to me as well. someone came into my account and must have sold all my Zen on the exchange. The only trail I could find was a suspicious transaction where they cashed my dilithium in and sold it on the exchange to get more Zen. I contacted customer support and it took them over a week to help me change my password. They admitted that they had seen suspicious activity on my account but forced me to submit another ticket on the issue. As of right now if I try to submit another new ticket it just says the page is invalid?? It is my personal belief that someone within PWE is doing this and they do not want to fix the problem. Customer support is non-existant with PWE. I asked to speak to someone personally and they have never replied to my email. I advise everyone that plays a PWE ran game not to spend any money on them. This incident proves you are wasting your money if you do. I am a lifetime subscriber to Star Trek online and I have been treated worse than garbage.